Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mechwarrior MMO

Anyone hear rumors of a mechwarrior MMO? That would be awesome. Any developers out there, fell free to take my idea and run with it...::::12::
I have played Planetside and it just has no point really. Not much of a RPG either.

Comments

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Unfortunately Microsoft has the rights to everything Battletech/Mechwarrior computer wise. And the only thing they're developing MechWarrior/BattleTech titles on is the X-Box.

EA had MPBT 3025 in beta about 3 years back but, unfortunately, the limited liscence they were operating under expired and Micro$oft wouldn't extend it, basically eradicating the game. There are some player driven projects out there to ressucitate it under a free title but the two I know of have bogged down in funding woes.

As a long time member of the MPBT community dating back to MPBT on the GEnie network I wish it could make a comeback. But, unfortunately, unless Micro$oft does it I don't see it happening. They are making way too much money off the liscence pumping out titles for the X-Box with it.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253
    Sadly we can but dream image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• shaggyfrog77shaggyfrog77 Member Posts: 48

So let me get this straight... no one but Sony can make a "battle bot" kind of game? or just sell under the name Mechwarrior?
    Might sound silly, but if Transformers made a mmorpg, it could be cool. Remember how many of them there were? There would be alot of room for creativity there, right?
    Maybe I'm crazy::::12::

• Lunchbox76Lunchbox76 Member Posts: 294

Actually there is one in developement, and they have been in contact with other people concerning the copyright. Here is the game website http://www.is3025.com/ .

Playing Fallen Earth.

• LightSlayerLightSlayer Member Posts: 182
    There was a gundam MMO a while ago, but was canceled...

---------------------------------------------

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by shaggyfrog77

So let me get this straight... no one but Sony can make a "battle bot" kind of game? or just sell under the name Mechwarrior?
    Might sound silly, but if Transformers made a mmorpg, it could be cool. Remember how many of them there were? There would be alot of room for creativity there, right?
    Maybe I'm crazy::::12::

not Sony, Microsoft. And it is limited to the Mechwarrior/Battletech license universe. So any and all others kind of robots, mecha, whatever are not covered by it, but as much as the Battletech universe (quite famous franchise that has even multiplayer cool centers around the world) is concerned, that is Fasa property and fasa is Microsoft property, at least for videogames.

Pen&Paper stuff has been licensed to two different companies, Wizkids and Fanpro. The first does the collectible miniature series "Mechwarriors: Dark ages" while FanPro has the more "traditional" Battletech and Mechwarrior products (the board game and the RPG mostly.. shadowrun too.. that would be a cool MMorpg concept ;))

Have a nice day

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• DulainDulain Member UncommonPosts: 616

Originally posted by LightSlayer
    There was a gundam MMO a while ago, but was canceled...

Not sure if this will be an MMO, but Universal Century looks like it will be a cool online Gundam game.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by shaggyfrog77

I have played Planetside and it just has no point really.

Um are you sure you played Planetside? Cuz for us vets that remeber and loved the old 2003 version of Planetside this new version is Mech Warrior 2k thanks to the stupid BFR idea... Playing this new version of Planetside (AKA Mech Warrior 2k) makes me wanna run from any title with Mech in it....

But I cant deny that there are some out there that would like to play a game like this and I hope you get that get what you want at some point... I for one would rather play a Transformer MMORPG but thats just me :P

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Lunchbox76
    Actually there is one in developement, and they have been in contact with other people concerning the copyright. Here is the game website http://www.is3025.com/ .

This is one of the two player driven developments going on. I am registered with the site. I the past 2 years they've made almost no progress with the game. It's still just a neat concept that hasn't seen any realistic fruition. Since it's all done in their spare time on cobbled together servers it's going to be quite some time before they have anything that could realistically be called an MMO. Last time I checked all they had was a 1 on 1 version of gamezone.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• Lunchbox76Lunchbox76 Member Posts: 294
    Heres another one its a 2D based game, and base more on the original turned based game. http://www.megamek.net/  I had fun with it for awhile.

Playing Fallen Earth.