Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Space Combat Confirmed

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by znerd

yawn.. star wars galaxies had it also and 'space combat' just sucked. 'space combat' is just more as simple dialogs with a million of possible answers. 

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• KrayfishKrayfish Member UncommonPosts: 147

My balls pulsed and my head started feeling warm when I heard the news..........not really, but it's fabulous news anyway.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

When do we get to hear from all of those who whined and cried about the lack of space combat?  Of course, now they'll shut up about that and pick something else to cry about.

Space Combat could be fun.  It wasn't anything I was dissapointed about not having, so having it is just a little bonus.

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188

If they do it like Warhammer does with RVR hot spots I think it'll be a huge win.

Ad-hoc fleets that people can join and drop at will, quick turn around times after being podded in battle, and meaningful benefits for your side when certain goals are acheived.

I'm excited now...

The game will go from a 'Maybe' to a 'Will buy on Day 1' if they allow or ship customization with colors or module upgrades/ship configuration changes.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

agreed...mine went from "will buy day 1" to "will preorder collector's edition"

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Well Bioware have definitely got my interest now...

• KaoRyxKaoRyx Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by miagisan

agreed...mine went from "will buy day 1" to "will preorder collector's edition"

Agreed. Although I went from "Will preorder collector's edition" to "Will preorder colletor's edition and weep tears of joy" =P

Someday we'll all look back on the age of computers - and lol.

• Gosh... the hype dampeners were working because this genuinely surprised me. I was fully prepared for no manual space flight.

This DOES change things for a few people. It gives the game depth and resonates better with the whole Star Wars IP. I *almost* fell for the STO debacle because I thought switching between ground play and space combat would be really fun.

It also makes me wonder now whether the swtich to the planet view, and space ships at the end of the Hope trailer wasn't in fact a hint of the things to come... clever Bioware, very clever. :)

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Buy collector's editions, buy lifetime subscriptions.

And then get mad when the game isnt' what you thought it'd be.

What a repetitive group we have around here.

• maxy1214maxy1214 Member UncommonPosts: 44

Finally. At least this game is going to be huge. Having this added feature will certainly bring more people and get excited with it.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Excellent....

• KaoRyxKaoRyx Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

rofl. You're hilarious dude. You mock all the people who are hyped and excited for this game as being a repetitive group, and yet you yourself are looped in with a "repetitive group" of your own.

The Annoying  Whiney TOR Trolls Crew.

You guys are all the same. You constantly barrage the TOR forums with how bad the game is going to be. But YOUR posts in particular are especially predictable. If the topic is TOR, you can be damn sure everything in your post will be about how bad it will be.

Every one of your posts is "this game isn't going to be as good as everyone thinks" or "it doesn't live up to Star Wars lore" or "SWG is better than TOR will be" or  "there won't be space combat". And then, when there is space combat,  "it won't be good! It won't be "X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter". "Bioware sucks, all their games are bad." You sure have a lot of bad blood about EVERYTHING in this game. Like... literally EVERYTHING.

The difference between our groups? The excited people have something to be excited about right now because this is big news. You are just proving, yet again, that your group really has nothing better to do than attempt to dampen people's spirits with despondent and dejected outlooks on life.

I prefer my group, at least everyone is in high spirits. If the game happens to suck at launch, I'm glad I had the months prior to enjoy life rather than being a sad little ingrate.

Someday we'll all look back on the age of computers - and lol.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Drakynn

This is clearly a total lie.

After all after countless threads on SW:TOR in these forums we already know exactly what is in the game,theminutiae of it's game mechanics and have already judged it's failure /success without the need for actual facts or hands on experience.

I concur. It is impossible that there is space combat in SW:TOR as most of the budget went into paying for voice acting. This is an established fact, hundreds of completely uninformed cellar dwelling net-tards can't be wrong. In fact so much of the budget went to paying for voice acting services we will be lucky if they don't just release the game as Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Spoken Word Album.

Having the people who are making the game and actually know what the hell is and isn't in the game tell us otherwise is in no way convincing. I'm ashamed that a reputable web site like MMORPG.com would stoop to such an underhanded and ridiculous tactic.

For the real truth on exactly what features the game SW:TOR will contain, I now turn you over to a man wearing a tinfoil hat.

/SARCASM OFF

I felt a great disturbance in the force. It was as if millions of doomsayers suddenly cried out in embarrassment and were suddenly silenced.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• torn51torn51 Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by Tardcore

I felt a great disturbance in the force. It was as if millions of doomsayers suddenly cried out in embarrassment and were suddenly silenced.

till they find something else to B!tch about......

• PittyHPittyH Member Posts: 116

QFMFT

my web design: www.advancedws.com.au

• rebelhero1rebelhero1 Member Posts: 229

yawn.. star wars galaxies had it also and 'space combat' just sucked. 'space combat' is just more as simple dialogs with a million of possible answers. 

I knew if I looked hard enough that SOMEONE would find a way to bitch about it.

Playing: *sigh* back to WoW :(
    --------
    Waiting for: SW:TOR, APB, WoD
    ---------
    Played and loved: Eve and WoW
    --------
    Played and hated: WoW:WotLK, Warhammer, every single F2P

• solocronosolocrono Member Posts: 173

Nah.. they'll still find something else.

• AlexTheTallAlexTheTall Member Posts: 174

Originally posted by rebelhero1

I knew if I looked hard enough that SOMEONE would find a way to bitch about it.

Well people been complaining their won't be any flight combat, now they announced it, people complain it will sucks... Well this is really funny how "haterz" just can't ever stop!

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by Pitt_Hammer

QFMFT

Actually if anything, the space combat system only reveals truly how much of a cookie-cutter, linear game SWTOR is going to be. Some players so far are over looking that everyone will have the exact same ship depending on your faction only. The only customization there will be is the interior that has already been talked about. 

Not to mention that this space content is separate from the main gameplay much like monster-play is in Lotro which equals no content.  So I really don't get why the fanbois are celebrating already when they basically just got Facebook for space content. If BW wants to do space, they need to do it right and not with last-century's Hero engine for starters.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

It is sort of silly how people went from "lol no spacez combatz, lol they confirmed it, lolz, my friend of a friend told me there won't be any, this game sucks"...

To what we have currently.

The spaceflight will suck, it will be 10 people per "instance", etc etc.

Even though it was a very small panel they had, they put out a lot of information.

Space combat is in.  Speculation is great and needed.  But declaring space combat according to how you feel about the game (haters calling it from mini games to a terrible shooter, or fanbois saying it's Tie Fighter reincarnated) just isn't right.

They said the PCgamer mag will have pictures for the issue released on the 17th? ish.  Pictures and details.  Let's wait till then till we scream how great it is or isn't!

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by Czanrei

Originally posted by Pitt_Hammer

QFMFT

Actually if anything, the space combat system only reveals truly how much of a cookie-cutter, linear game SWTOR is going to be. Some players so far are over looking that everyone will have the exact same ship depending on your faction only. The only customization there will be is the interior that has already been talked about. 

Not to mention that this space content is separate from the main gameplay much like monster-play is in Lotro which equals no content.  So I really don't get why the fanbois are celebrating already when they basically just got Facebook for space content. If BW wants to do space, they need to do it right and not with last-century's Hero engine for starters.

I'm glad you have given us your insight on how space combat will be, seeing that no one other than Bioware knows how it actually plays out.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Lets first wait and see how it will be represented ingame. We already know that your personal spaceship will have an interior that you can customize when its landed.

But we dont know yet if spacecombat will be like in SWG, where you can walk inside the interior (in a POB anyway) during flight/combat. Its possible that the combat is represented in a STO way. With just a tiny ship that represents you in some weird fake spaceenvironment.

So especially the ppl who liked SWG spacecombat might want to wait first how it will be implemented in SW:TOR.

• KithcaKithca Member Posts: 118

In regards to ship exterior customization:

"Of course, it would be pretty boring to have an entire galaxy packed with a handful of similar ships. To combat this, BioWare has created a robust customization package so that you can fully trick out your ship with premade gear sets or your own hand-picked items. Though BioWare isn't showing off the ships in action just yet, they assure us that there will be thousands of different variations so that each person can feel as if they have a unique vessel."

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/109/1096845p1.html

3rd paragraph.

• solocronosolocrono Member Posts: 173

Originally posted by KaoRyx

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

rofl. You're hilarious dude. You mock all the people who are hyped and excited for this game as being a repetitive group, and yet you yourself are looped in with a "repetitive group" of your own.

The Annoying  Whiney TOR Trolls Crew.

You guys are all the same. You constantly barrage the TOR forums with how bad the game is going to be. But YOUR posts in particular are especially predictable. If the topic is TOR, you can be damn sure everything in your post will be about how bad it will be.

Every one of your posts is "this game isn't going to be as good as everyone thinks" or "it doesn't live up to Star Wars lore" or "SWG is better than TOR will be" or  "there won't be space combat". And then, when there is space combat,  "it won't be good! It won't be "X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter". "Bioware sucks, all their games are bad." You sure have a lot of bad blood about EVERYTHING in this game. Like... literally EVERYTHING.

The difference between our groups? The excited people have something to be excited about right now because this is big news. You are just proving, yet again, that your group really has nothing better to do than attempt to dampen people's spirits with despondent and dejected outlooks on life.

I prefer my group, at least everyone is in high spirits. If the game happens to suck at launch, I'm glad I had the months prior to enjoy life rather than being a sad little ingrate.

^ this.  

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by Czanrei

So I really don't get why the fanbois are celebrating already when they basically just got Facebook for space content. 

Perhaps because no mmo, ever, has launched as fully voiced, with housing and space combat at the day of launch? doesnt that just show the ambition we need, with their financial backing?..just a thought..