Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please help me choose new graphics card.

Comments

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

Originally posted by Raxeon

Originally posted by Hrayr2148

Originally posted by tooga123

If it were me i would go with a 5770 considering it sounds like budget is an issue. this way it gives you some breathing room for newer games and without breaking the bank

also check out the link it has some useful info in it

@ DeViLmAn you should get a 5850 i switch from 4890 and its sweet

I have a 4890 thinking of getting 5850.

What was your Benchmark score with the 4890 and what did it become with the 5850?  What's your processor btw?

i dont see where there would be much of a diffrence except the 5850 can be Oc alot and its a single gpu

I know what you mean.  If you do side by side comparison of the 4890 and 5850 in terms of raw power, they're not that far apart.  BUT, the FFXIV benchmark think otherwise. 

ON AVERAGE - 5850 is getting 1000 - 1500 MORE points on the Hi Res results than the 4890.  That's why I'm on the fence on whether to upgrade now.  The smartest thing for me is to wait and see how FFXIV plays on my 4890.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Originally posted by Wrender

ATi cards suck. Ati Drivers suck. If you don't have a legitimate copy of windows running on your system then ATI cards REALLY suck!

ATI drivers tend to conflict with other drivers and are a bitch to instal and operate. The cards tend to consume more power than nessassary

there big ugly and clunky

They just suck

I hate them!

Just my opinion

Sorry....

Sorry but no offense you dont seem to be to well informed.

ATM the ATI HD 5770 pretty much kills in the bugget market. Its fast, quiet, consumes less power, and runs nice and cool. It can even be easily over clocked. Most benchmarking sites and reviewers agree for the budget market ATI's 5770 is killing Nvidia.

That being said Im a huge Nvidia fan, prefer to get nvidia as long as the prices are comparable and the performance is. However, I just rebuitl my system and after doing my research the 5770 is the better bet in my price range. Yes nvidia logos are everywhere, but my new  pc ran the FF benchmark just fine.  No it didnt top the charts but it came in at the above average and at high settings.

It all comes down to personal preference, but ATI has really made improvements over the past few years. If you want to know the facts, then google the ATI card and the Nvidia equivalent and see what toms hardware says.

• DeViLmAn0DeViLmAn0 Member UncommonPosts: 201

@Hrayr

i just closed out everything and ran the benchmark again. on hi res i pulled a lowly 1952 , i feel so .. so down lol

Waiting For: FF14,Guild Wars2
    RIP: Tabula Rasa&Hellgate:London(online)
    Playing:Fallen Earth&Guild Wars& Dragon Age

You got a 1900 with a 5850?   What's your processor?

• tooga123tooga123 Member UncommonPosts: 113

If it were me i would go with a 5770 considering it sounds like budget is an issue. this way it gives you some breathing room for newer games and without breaking the bank

What was your Benchmark score with the 4890 and what did it become with the 5850?  What's your processor btw?

i honestly dont remember what my score was before but i couldn't break 3k on high and now i run 3678 on high with a small oc on my 5850

cpu:c2q q9300 @2.5ghz

vga: xfx 5850

ram: 4gb ddr2 800 g.skill

You got a 1900 with a 5850?   What's your processor?

no on a 4890 lol, i havent gotten a 5850 yet

That's low for a 4890.. you probably have a slow processor.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-radeon-hd-geforce-gtx,2676.html

i've trusted this site for 10+ years.  This guide is updated monthly, I always check it before buying a graphics card.

i honestly dont remember what my score was before but i couldn't break 3k on high and now i run 3678 on high with a small oc on my 5850

Your processor is holding you back.  I think with a quad core 2.8+ you can increase your hi res score by at least 400.

Edit: But to be honest, with Hi Res score of 3600+, you're going to run FFXIV really well. 

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

ATi cards suck. Ati Drivers suck. If you don't have a legitimate copy of windows running on your system then ATI cards REALLY suck!

ATI drivers tend to conflict with other drivers and are a bitch to instal and operate. The cards tend to consume more power than nessassary

They just suck

I hate them!

Just my opinion

Sorry....

ATM the ATI HD 5770 pretty much kills in the bugget market. Its fast, quiet, consumes less power, and runs nice and cool. It can even be easily over clocked. Most benchmarking sites and reviewers agree for the budget market ATI's 5770 is killing Nvidia.

That being said Im a huge Nvidia fan, prefer to get nvidia as long as the prices are comparable and the performance is. However, I just rebuitl my system and after doing my research the 5770 is the better bet in my price range. Yes nvidia logos are everywhere, but my new  pc ran the FF benchmark just fine.  No it didnt top the charts but it came in at the above average and at high settings.

It all comes down to personal preference, but ATI has really made improvements over the past few years. If you want to know the facts, then google the ATI card and the Nvidia equivalent and see what toms hardware says.

Yeah lol, I know all this I also build computers but I will never run an ATI card in MY computer no matter how good they claim to be.. I personally just hate the company, Kinda like people hate SOE, ya know... If someone wants one in thier computer I will do it for em but count me out!

Here's a decent place to look

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=28&sel=Detail;55_158_35919_35919,Detail;229_176_48674_48674,Price;Price4,Detail;236_1249_29103_29103,Mfr;Mfr_1281

That's low for a 4890.. you probably have a slow processor.

aw man

games gonna kick my rigs ass

• tooga123tooga123 Member UncommonPosts: 113

Your processor is holding you back.  I think with a quad core 2.8+ you can increase your hi res score by at least 400.

tell me about it i had to sell some stuff to get the 5850 so now i must wait till i can get a core i7 or whatever next gen cpu will be out by then.

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

They just suck

I hate them!

Just my opinion

Sorry....

Yeah lol, I know all this I also build computers but I will never run an ATI card in MY computer no matter how good they claim to be.. I personally just hate the company, Kinda like people hate SOE, ya know... If someone wants one in thier computer I will do it for em but count me out!

Here's a decent place to look

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=28&sel=Detail;55_158_35919_35919,Detail;229_176_48674_48674,Price;Price4,Detail;236_1249_29103_29103,Mfr;Mfr_1281

I'll use the best card that fits my budget... choosing to hate ATI and getting a card that performs more poorly just out of spite is just stupid.

Edit: But to be honest, with Hi Res score of 3600+, you're going to run FFXIV really well. 

Do we really think that the game will be THAT optimized for multiple cores?  I'm doubting it.  Besides, with the way the 5850 offloads processing from the CPU, I'm thinking that the increase would be far less that you anticipate. 

Originally posted by madeux

Do we really think that the game will be THAT optimized for multiple cores?  I'm doubting it.  Besides, with the way the 5850 offloads processing from the CPU, I'm thinking that the increase would be far less that you anticipate. 

You may be right... but I have seen the comparison charts of different benchmark scores.

A 5850 with a very good processor can go as high as 4200 Hi Res Score.  I'm sure if he gets an I7 ~2.8 GHZ+, his score will be very close to 4k Hi Res.

Originally posted by madeux

You may be right... but I have seen the comparison charts of different benchmark scores.

A 5850 with a very good processor can go as high as 4200 Hi Res Score.  I'm sure if he gets an I7 ~2.8 GHZ+, his score will be very close to 4k Hi Res.

I'd guess that the benefit would actually come from the faster bus speed, and the faster DDR3 memory. 

• XavierxxXavierxx Member Posts: 251

Okay guys please take a look at this combo deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.450373

As I said our new budget is 200$ for a new graphics card and PSU.

Please let me know what you guys think about that combo deal.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

They just suck

I hate them!

Just my opinion

Sorry....

Wow I must have the best luck in the world and you have the worst.   I have never had any problems with my ATI cards. Drivers are pretty easy for me to install as well and Ive never had them conflict with any other drivers.   Don't really know much about the power consumption, I don't pay much attention. 

IMO Nvidia cards are just overpriced for what little performance percentage that you might get.  But to each their own. 

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266

Originally posted by Xavierxx

Damn good deal there

• DragonOpt1DragonOpt1 Member Posts: 78

Maybe some of you can help me out with a question. I have a Q6600 2.4, I just overclocked it to 3.0 with the stock fan as I've read on the web that's okay at that temp. What should my temps be at? Just sitting here they are 49-51 but when I ran the benchmark one of the core got up to 72C, two were 69 the other 67. My score went from a 3100 to 3400ish...I doubt that little bit of a jump is worth it to my cpu but is that temp normal if I was to keep it overclocked to 3.0?

• xcaliburxcalibur Member Posts: 571

Good deal, but I think you could probably get by with the current power supply. Looks like it has dual 12v rails. In my htpc I'm running an athlon x3 440 @ 3.6 and 5770 950/1400 on a 380w fine. The 5770 only uses like 100w under load, very efficient.

Btw, if you look at the picture of that asus card it comes with the 4 pin molex to 6 pin pcie adapter that it needs if the current ps doesn't have a 6 pin.

Originally posted by swalker23

Damn good deal there

Thanks. Good feedback on this deal so far. I guess this is what we're going to be getting for our 200$ so thanks for the replys people.

Lastly, the only other upgrades we are taking care of ourselves are switching his current OS (xp 32) to windows 7 64bit. I know that FF14 will run in windows 32 bit mode though (according to official current system requirements) but he wants the ability to expand past 3GB of ram in the future. He's already ordered the home premium and  meets all the hardware requirements/specifications to run that. I installed it on my own machine when it came out and ive been enjoying it alot so I convinced him to finally upgrade. We are also upgrading his current Athlon dual core 4500 to either a Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz (best cpu option available for his motherboard) for 140$ free shipping or a more affordable Athlon II X3 445 3.1GHz for 85$. I've done research on both and theyre both great options, but lemme know what you guys think. Also we may or may not increase the RAM from his current 2GB to 4GB becuase the minimum requirements for the game state it needs 2GB or higher so we're gonna put that upgrade off till later and scale down the windows 7 so it uses less memory.

So with his current comp setup he gets a FF14 benchmark score (I know its not accurate) of about 400 and doesn't meet much of the minimum system requirements. I am hoping that the upgrade to the OS, graphics card, PSU, and CPU will give him the boost his comp needs to run the game atleast smoothly.

Originally posted by xcalibur

Good deal, but I think you could probably get by with the current power supply. Looks like it has dual 12v rails. In my htpc I'm running an athlon x3 440 @ 3.6 and 5770 950/1400 on a 380w fine. The 5770 only uses like 100w under load, very efficient. Btw, if you look at the picture of that asus card it comes with the 4 pin molex to 6 pin pcie adapter that it needs if the current ps doesn't have a 6 pin.

If incase he changes his mind about putting down for the combo deal, then we will just buy the card alone. The combo is really good deal though and the PSU will help future proof his comp more. Our goals were to only make the best neccessary upgrades w/o competely draining our savings.

• xcaliburxcalibur Member Posts: 571
    Get the 445 and 2 more gigs of ram IMO.
  • SevensoddSevensodd Member Posts: 322

For 200 bucks you can get the gtx460.  Overclock the shit out of it, and you have a 400$ card.