Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holy God space combat confirmed?!

Comments

• Hendo0069Hendo0069 Member Posts: 213

From what info I have read about space gameplay it sounds like travelling and exploration will be handled in the same way as Mass Effects galaxy map and as you travel from system to system you will encounter points of interest most likely instanced based type space combat.

• ConverseSCConverseSC Member Posts: 572

Originally posted by crockopoopoo

Wait, some people actually expected a Star Wars game (that had already announced the inclusion of player ships) to NOT feature space combat?

Lol.

There are tons of Star Wars game with no meaningful ship combat.

Including the original Knights of the Old Republic video game and the launch version of SWG.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

WOW does NOT have friggin' space combat so this is a LIE!

I refuse to believe anything other than this is WoW with lightsabers and soon my tauren jedi and I will raid BFD to kill a rancor!

Stop!

Breaking!

The norm!

In other news, that's awesome but kind of figured. It'll be interesting how BioWare works with a living product. I imagine it'll be similar to Blizzard's approach (for real, but in a good way) since they seem to be a game company first and a MMO company second. Which in my opinion has done nothing but helped the market after SOE tried to kill it.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

SOLD!!!

BioWare, here is a blank check.  Write any amount on it and I will pay it to play this game... 

I honestly couldn't care less now if this game is too 'theme-parky' or 'unsandboxy'.  Space comat adds a completely new and awesome element to any MMO. 

If they do indeed launch with space combat, this will be the most feature complete AAA MMO ever released...

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Originally posted by ConverseSC

Wait, some people actually expected a Star Wars game (that had already announced the inclusion of player ships) to NOT feature space combat?

Lol.

Including the original Knights of the Old Republic video game and the launch version of SWG.

Whilst space combat is an integral part of the movies most of the action and story in the movies happened on foot either on ground or inside space stations/ships.So it's totally possible to make a Star Wars game without space combat and still be Star Wars.

The arguement "how can there be no space combat?It's called STAR WARS!!!" has always been stupid.It's called Star Wars because it chronicles WARS stretching over multiple STAR systems.If Lucas totally scrapped the space combat int he films and had them teleport place to place he could of still called it Star Wars due to being set over multiple Star systems.

Having said all that I'm happy to see space combat being included. 8)

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

hmm I guess Im a bit skeptical, although any news thats makes others happy im all for.  Great, space combat!  Everyone is psyched.  Thats a good thing so I will be too.  So after saying that I will leave my comments aside for now I guess.  I just wish it would be 360 point of view instead of it being played from 3rd person perspective only and having to actualy aim for stuff.  There should be auto targeting I think!  MAke it auto targeting and ill be happy.   

I just watched jumpgate evo, it dosnt have auto targeting lol.  So I guess Im up in the air, either way yay for space combat!

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by cagan

I am almost 100% percent sure that it will be an instanced mini game.

Your ship is a travel hub that carries you from planet to planet. Space combat in asteroids or evil guys space station will be instanced combat.  Don't expect anything like  EVE. Most likely it will be star trek online instanced mission.

Then again I hope i am wrong and u can customize your ship, explore space, build space stations and farm asteroids on top of all the ground combat and exploration

Lol. Are you people real? Some folks have to nitpick EVERYTHING. I guess if I gave you a million dollars, you'd bitch about all the paperwork for the taxes.

Good riddance.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• blackemperorblackemperor Member CommonPosts: 49

Originally posted by Dis_Ordur

SOLD!!!

BioWare, here is a blank check.  Write any amount on it and I will pay it to play this game... 

I honestly couldn't care less now if this game is too 'theme-parky' or 'unsandboxy'.  Space comat adds a completely new and awesome element to any MMO. 

If they do indeed launch with space combat, this will be the most feature complete AAA MMO ever released...

Hahah I love this guy.

Your ship is a travel hub that carries you from planet to planet. Space combat in asteroids or evil guys space station will be instanced combat.  Don't expect anything like  EVE. Most likely it will be star trek online instanced mission.

Then again I hope i am wrong and u can customize your ship, explore space, build space stations and farm asteroids on top of all the ground combat and exploration

GOD I KNOW RIGHT!?

Where in Star Wars is there room for squardrons of players to meet up and play agianst one another in objective based PVP when there's astroids to go look at!?

Why I'm a big fan of the movies and all of that boring Death Star fighting.. A small vent my ass.. It wasn't nearly as exciting as when they were chilling out inside of that astroid creature's stomach.

How am I supposed to enjoy this game that's a single player game played online with other people buzzing around trying to shoot me while I can mine for fish in space!

Bioware, you're a bunch of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Kuntz !

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by Elikal

Lol. Are you people real? Some folks have to nitpick EVERYTHING. I guess if I gave you a million dollars, you'd bitch about all the paperwork for the taxes.

Good riddance.

It's certainly better to have space combat than to not have it. I once again have to preface that I am looking forward to this game.

With that being said, I don't think it was nitpicking as much as going overboard. Personally, I immediately thought it sounded like instanced side-missions in space via BWs description. I very well could be wrong, but as I say, it doesn't matter. Only one more thing to enjoy in the game.

As for another poster worrying that BW is spreading the game too thin:

150 million and what is it? 4 or more years of development, I don't think you have to worry. A company this big will continue to work on the ground game and most likely have a specialized team work the space stuff. With everyone working at the same time, you end up with more content, just as thick as it would be minus one or the other.

While that may not be the case, I believe we don't have to worry about much.

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346

I guess I'll have to install Excel separately...lol.  Sorry, I just couldn't resist.  I'm glad it's not going to be anything like EVE, trying not to insult any EVE players but that game looks boring to me.  It looks too tedious for my tastes.  Now, I like the idea of using minerals from asteroids for crafting.  Aside from that, needs to be action-packed and immersive.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Great to hear, now I'd like to SEE it.  I've been anticipating this announcement for a while, though i'm hoping they actually have a large amount of customization options for combat.  Will we be able to have PvP? Are there going to be separate drops for ships?  Do we get to craft ship parts too like in SWG?  Build smaller fighters?  Special smuggling missions?  Blockade contested planets?

Lots of good stuff so far, I wonder how in depth they'll make it.  Whats good to hear though, is that it will be in at launch which means it can only get better from there.  New ships, and missions, etc. can be expected in the pipeline and that is a very good thing.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

The impression I get is that this will be a "minigame" with no connection to the land-based gameplay.  Just shooting fighters, dodging asteroids etc just like it says.  Don't get you're hopes up for progressive elements, space stations or mining.

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

OK . . .

Since you are "almost" 100% sure where are you getting your information? Devblogs? Articles? Officail website? Developer interview? any interview?

Hmmmm . . . .

Thought so. So just someone else crapping in the public pool.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

best news ever!!!!

• crockopoopoocrockopoopoo Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by ConverseSC

Lol.

Which is why I said "already announced player ships."

Reading comprehension?

Seriously this isn't a big announcement.  It's more like a 'no shit' announcement, but I guess everyone is all a-twitter just because it's Bioware.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by Tarka

The impression I get is that this will be a "minigame" with no connection to the land-based gameplay.  Just shooting fighters, dodging asteroids etc just like it says.  Don't get you're hopes up for progressive elements, space stations or mining.

Originally posted by Terikan3

I think space stations and moving around in minihubs is a big possibility.

The lack of mining is okay with me. Node hunting is the most grinding thing I ever attempted in a MMO.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I had faith 5 years ago it had space combat... BW is prime so please trolls go back under your rocks...

Read em' and whep

http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=173948

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by eburn

Originally posted by Terikan3

I think space stations and moving around in minihubs is a big possibility.

The lack of mining is okay with me. Node hunting is the most grinding thing I ever attempted in a MMO.

Perhaps walking around in a space station-like environment is a possibility, after all its just another ground based instanced environment.  However, what I was referring to was the more "in depth" elements of a space game.  Like the possibility of owning stations etc. 

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

I'm just laughing right now at allt he people on the SWG and SWTOR and even this forum taht were soooooo Sure that SWTor Would not have any space... !

Originally posted by medmarijuana

I'm just laughing right now at allt he people on the SWG and SWTOR and even this forum taht were soooooo Sure that SWTor Would not have any space... !

its better to hope for the best but expect the worst, than to expect the best and be given the worst.

Manage thy expectations and you'll be in a perpetual state of happiness.

I think the next big trend in MMOs is allowing players to make content for other players.

Now this probably isn't going to be in this game at launch, but..

Let's say I can own my own space station out in TOR-LAND theme park: Players can find me along with thousands of others to join and look around at all the crap I've amassed and maybe I can try and pawn some garbage loot I found with some vendors. That's cool and all, about the extent non-pvp-sandboxers are happy with.

But.. What if while I'm logged out or while I'm raiding with my gnome bounty hunter who has a tamed wolf pet that's completely OP, I issue the NPCs on board to help me achieve some goal. Like.. "I need 1000 nightelf crystals to upgrade my fighter's engine." But to do this they'll have space objectives that can be available to other player characters who happen onto my space station to sign out like quests and what not, and if they help out the NPCs doll out a reward and when I come back I can see a player helped me!

Then allow a lot of specifics to be assignable.

I think people discredit the way MMOs are now way too much.

BioWare has always made games that are pretty customizable in a way, so I don't see this out of the realm of possibility for them. Now if it was Sony, NCSoft, or any of the established companies that like keeping things static: Sure.

BioWare being BioWare is still the biggest factor for this game's success.

eburn.....as the saying goes.....lets learn to walk before we attempt to run ;)

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

Originally posted by eburn

I think the next big trend in MMOs is allowing players to make content for other players.

Now this probably isn't going to be in this game at launch, but..

Let's say I can own my own space station out in TOR-LAND theme park: Players can find me along with thousands of others to join and look around at all the crap I've amassed and maybe I can try and pawn some garbage loot I found with some vendors. That's cool and all, about the extent non-pvp-sandboxers are happy with.

But.. What if while I'm logged out or while I'm raiding with my gnome bounty hunter who has a tamed wolf pet that's completely OP, I issue the NPCs on board to help me achieve some goal. Like.. "I need 1000 nightelf crystals to upgrade my fighter's engine." But to do this they'll have space objectives that can be available to other player characters who happen onto my space station to sign out like quests and what not, and if they help out the NPCs doll out a reward and when I come back I can see a player helped me!

Then allow a lot of specifics to be assignable.

I think people discredit the way MMOs are now way too much.

BioWare has always made games that are pretty customizable in a way, so I don't see this out of the realm of possibility for them. Now if it was Sony, NCSoft, or any of the established companies that like keeping things static: Sure.

BioWare being BioWare is still the biggest factor for this game's success.

I played a game in the late 90's that actually did that. Allowing players to make content and submit it with their level editor and scripter.

PRetty fun, game is still around today , at the time i played it was going by Zelda online. They had to change their name for legal reasons.  Of course this was in the mid to late 90's , no way in hell I would play that game now.