Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good gaming rig?

LizardKing89LizardKing89 Member UncommonPosts: 61

I'm in the market to buy a new system and I thought I'd ask the more knowledgeable people on these forums about it.  I want a decent system able to play some of the newer MMO's plus TOR whenever it comes out.  Here are the specs:

Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHZ processor

6GB DDR3 memory

ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics

Here is the link for more stats:

http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6077552&Sku=I455-97000

Comments

• pfloydguy84pfloydguy84 Member UncommonPosts: 149

Get more info on the motherboard and power supply.they are very important as well especially a good quality power supply.dont just look at watts look at volts, effeciancy and the brand name.Thermaltake and Antec for example are great brands.The video card is decent but for the money it costs for this PC you should be getting a better one.Its a good PC from the info I saw though I guess, but look around some more first and do research.Do you relaly need a core i7 930?the 920 is cheaper and pretty much just as good. www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com are great websites for computers and parts. www.cyberpowerpc.com is great  if you want to build your own PC and have them put it together for you.These are the cheapest sites and definately worth looking into,especially newegg and tigerdirect.I'd try and go for a little cheaper CPU(like a 920) and a little better video card if you can(like a 5830 0r 5850 or geforce gtx 460) although the video card isn't that bad.

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

As an above poster said please post the mother board and pwer supply.

Besides that it's looking very nice (: just buy a nice case

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

• SystemikSystemik Member Posts: 1

After a quick check on the iBuyPower website, I found the info for you. 

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Weekly_Gamer_Special

It's a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard and a 700w no-name power supply.  Also has liquid CPU cooling.

Not a bad setup all together.  You can order directly from the manufacturer (actually, builder) and customize it. 

I would say for better cooling go with the Thermaltake Element G case (+$50) and the upgrade to the cpu cooling (+$18).

And make sure you go with the 6Gb/sec Hard Drive as opposed to the 3Gb/s.  It's only $25 more.

All together that would cost youn $1195.  Just slightly more than the circuit city prices, but some good upgrades.

If you can afford an extra hundred or two hundred, try to upgrade the video card in there as well.  The 5770 is a okay card, but you might as well get a 5870 or nVidia 400-series.

• LizardKing89LizardKing89 Member UncommonPosts: 61

The motherboard is a Asus P6T SE not sure about the power supply other than its 700 watts.

Originally posted by Systemik

After a quick check on the iBuyPower website, I found the info for you. 

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Weekly_Gamer_Special

It's a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard and a 700w no-name power supply.  Also has liquid CPU cooling.

Not a bad setup all together.  You can order directly from the manufacturer (actually, builder) and customize it. 

I would say for better cooling go with the Thermaltake Element G case (+$50) and the upgrade to the cpu cooling (+$18).

And make sure you go with the 6Gb/sec Hard Drive as opposed to the 3Gb/s.  It's only $25 more.

All together that would cost youn $1195.  Just slightly more than the circuit city prices, but some good upgrades.

If you can afford an extra hundred or two hundred, try to upgrade the video card in there as well.  The 5770 is a okay card, but you might as well get a 5870 or nVidia 400-series.

Thanks so much that was just what I wanted to know

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Honestly, a 5770 is a pretty weak card to be paried up with a Core I7. It would be better to get a cheaper CPU, like a Core I5 or a Phenom II X4 (both of which are still plenty powerful), and then put the $100 saved into upgrading that 5770 to a 5850.

Originally posted by Catamount

Honestly, a 5770 is a pretty weak card to be paried up with a Core I7. It would be better to get a cheaper CPU, like a Core I5 or a Phenom II X4 (both of which are still plenty powerful), and then put the $100 saved into upgrading that 5770 to a 5850.

I was wondering if the video card was good enough thanks for letting me know

Originally posted by LizardKing89

That's no problem. Don't get me wrong; a 5770 is a decent video card that will run *most* games today at nearly maxed out settings, but a $150 video card should never be paired up with a $300 CPU. In fact, it's the opposite you should shoot for. Generally, I try to spend 30%-40% of a gaming rig's price on the video cards, or put another way, I'd suggest you spend between 50% and 100% more on the video card than on the CPU. Ideally in your price range you'd get a Core I5 (maybe one of the new dual-core I5s?) or something like a Phenom II X4 955, and then get something like a pair of Radeon HD 5770s or a single 5870.

I will see if I can find something more suited to you on the internet, though beware, you always have more control over things like machine balance when you build... I know, you probably get hit with "just build it" so much that it gets really annoying, but it's like telling people to buy Japanese cars; there's an undeniable, tangible wisdom to it :)

EDIT: As far as pre-bought PCs go, I went to buyxg.com (their just another site that's owned by Cyberpower PC), and just using the 'AMD Configurator', I set up the following system:

Motherboard: Asus M4A77T

CPU: Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz

RAM: 4GB DDR3-1600 (I didn't spring for the low-latency ram; a clock cycle's difference in performance isn't worth $50)

Video Card: Radeon HD 5870 (twice as fast as a 5770)

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 650W Power Supply

HDD: 500GB

Total Cost: $1180

You can even add a blu-ray drive to this for only $50 more it looks like.

That's just one example, but if you don't feel like building, I highly advise that you at least use a site that allows custom configuration, because pre-configured and pre-built machines tend to have excessively weak video cards (unless you spend ridiculous amounts).

Hopefully you find what you need; maybe I'll see you in TOR :P

That's no problem. Don't get me wrong; a 5770 is a decent video card that will run *most* games today at nearly maxed out settings, but a $150 video card should never be paired up with a $300 CPU. In fact, it's the opposite you should shoot for. Generally, I try to spend 30%-40% of a gaming rig's price on the video cards, or put another way, I'd suggest you spend between 50% and 100% more on the video card than on the CPU. Ideally in your price range you'd get a Core I5 (maybe one of the new dual-core I5s?) or something like a Phenom II X4 955, and then get something like a pair of Radeon HD 5770s or a single 5870.

I will see if I can find something more suited to you on the internet, though beware, you always have more control over things like machine balance when you build... I know, you probably get hit with "just build it" so much that it gets really annoying, but it's like telling people to buy Japanese cars; there's an undeniable, tangible wisdom to it :)

EDIT: As far as pre-bought PCs go, I went to buyxg.com (their just another site that's owned by Cyberpower PC), and just using the 'AMD Configurator', I set up the following system:

Motherboard: Asus M4A77T

CPU: Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz

RAM: 4GB DDR3-1600 (I didn't spring for the low-latency ram; a clock cycle's difference in performance isn't worth $50)

Video Card: Radeon HD 5870 (twice as fast as a 5770)

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 650W Power Supply

HDD: 500GB

Total Cost: $1180

You can even add a blu-ray drive to this for only $50 more it looks like.

That's just one example, but if you don't feel like building, I highly advise that you at least use a site that allows custom configuration, because pre-configured and pre-built machines tend to have excessively weak video cards (unless you spend ridiculous amounts).

Hopefully you find what you need; maybe I'll see you in TOR :P

Thanks again.  Oh I get the build it yourself advice quite a bit but I'd be too nervous to do it myself.  How does the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 compare to the 5870?  I found a similar system with a different card in it.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=28735&SRCCODE=WEBCRIT09&cm_mmc_o=-KeCjCgybfwBCjCECjCE

If it isn't up to par I'll just go to the IBUYPOWER web site or the one you recommended and do a custom config.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

The GTS250 doesn't perform anywhere close to the HD5870. The HD5870 is a $400 video card.

Originally posted by Cleffy

The GTS250 doesn't perform anywhere close to the HD5870. The HD5870 is a $400 video card.

Ok thanks, out of curiosity what would be the Nvidia equivalent to the HD5870?  Thanks everyone who replied to this post all the help is very much appreciated.

Ok thanks, out of curiosity what would be the Nvidia equivalent to the HD5870?  Thanks everyone who replied to this post all the help is very much appreciated.

In a nutshell? Nothing.

The best Fermi card out there is the GTX460, because the 470 and 480 are just these convolutedly designed things that use so much energy and produce so much heat, mass production of them will probably notably contribute to global warming, not because of the added power consumption of people using them, but because of direct radiated heat image

It seems like a single GTX 460 is below what you're looking for though, so if you absolutely NEED to have an Nvidia solution, I'd say spring for two GTX 460s in SLI. Yes, that will get a little expensive (and you'll need an SLI certified motherboard), in case you're wondering, but it would be the best way to go.

Now, if you still want one anyways, I'm sure you could physically make it work, it's just that most Fermi cards are not real great products right now.

Another option still would be to wait for the release of the Geforce GTX 475, which will probably be a spectacular product (until it stars competing with Southern Islands :p). The 475, when it comes out, will probably be the exact equivalent of what you're looking for.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Except it won't matter like you said. AMD will slash prices for ATI in half then release Southern Islands that will atleast have a 30% performance advantage.

Except it won't matter like you said. AMD will slash prices for ATI in half then release Southern Islands that will atleast have a 30% performance advantage.

Oh, absolutely.

The GTX460 and upcomming 475 are "good" because they finally reach PARITY, not superiority, but PARITY with Cypress. The problem is that Cypress is almost a year old, so Nvidia's new cards are only matching what's old-news releases for Ati.

Southern Islands is just going to kill Fermi (and Northern Islands is going to do whatever comes after killing ;) )

Thanks for the advice everyone this is pretty much what I'll be getting from IBUYPOWER

Case ( Thermaltake Element G Gaming Case - Black )

Case Lighting ( Cold Cathode Neon Light - Blue )

iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )

Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7 930 Processor (4x 2.80GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )

iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )

Processor Cooling ( Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator (Intel) )

Memory ( 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 - Corsair or Major Brand )

Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 5850 - 1GB - Single Card )

Motherboard ( [SLI] Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R w/ 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16 )

Motherboard Add-on ( None )

Power Supply ( 700 Watt -- Power Supply - SLI Ready )

Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )

Data Hard Drive ( None )

Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )

2nd Optical Drive ( None )

Flash Media Reader/Writer ( None )

Meter Display ( None )

Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )

Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )

If I'm missing something feel free to let me know.

• TehJackalTehJackal Member Posts: 98

My PC I ordered from IBP should be here Wednesday :D I am so excited I can barely stand it >.<

I am just hoping everything works right out of the box when I get it. Their forums have some horror stories of late, but from people I know who have ordered from them they have had 0 problems.

Kinda wish I went to the HDD you have but im gonna get a SSD after I get a second GTX 480 when the prices go down so I guess its ok :/

Oh well, the rig is still a beast and will destroy anything I throw at it anyway XD

I finally ordered my PC today from IBUYPOWER now just have to wait for it.  TY all for the help.

• canibusclubcanibusclub Member Posts: 84

Thanks for the advice everyone this is pretty much what I'll be getting from IBUYPOWER

Case ( Thermaltake Element G Gaming Case - Black )

Case Lighting ( Cold Cathode Neon Light - Blue )

iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )

Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7 930 Processor (4x 2.80GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )

iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )

Processor Cooling ( Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator (Intel) )

Memory ( 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 - Corsair or Major Brand )

Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 5850 - 1GB - Single Card )

Motherboard ( [SLI] Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R w/ 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16 )

Motherboard Add-on ( None )

Power Supply ( 700 Watt -- Power Supply - SLI Ready )

Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )

Data Hard Drive ( None )

Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )

2nd Optical Drive ( None )

Flash Media Reader/Writer ( None )

Meter Display ( None )

Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )

Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )

If I'm missing something feel free to let me know.

Are the i7's faster than the AMD Phenom 2 quad cores?

I have a 940 BE x4 3.0 ghz stock  OCed at 3.4 ghz

If I were you I would try to Over clock that thing some, should be able to get a few hundred mhz out of it with that fan you got without screwing with voltage.

EDIT*** actually I noticed that you have liquid cooling which is better. You Could OC that thing alot and probably remain stable. I would recommend doing so.

• canibusclubcanibusclub Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by TehJackal

My PC I ordered from IBP should be here Wednesday :D I am so excited I can barely stand it >.<

I am just hoping everything works right out of the box when I get it. Their forums have some horror stories of late, but from people I know who have ordered from them they have had 0 problems.

Kinda wish I went to the HDD you have but im gonna get a SSD after I get a second GTX 480 when the prices go down so I guess its ok :/

Oh well, the rig is still a beast and will destroy anything I throw at it anyway XD

I ordered from them and the PSU went out before it was even turned on.  Fortunately I found out a day later it was just the plug that went bad , than I used a different plug it worked. Eventually I upgraded to a 1000 watt psu.

Their computers seem  to be pretty good I would say.  I have had this one for about 2 years now and put alot of upgrades into it. Still works like a champ.