Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Comic-Con Expectations

2»

Comments

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Philby

Not WOW in space? No 40 man raids that require weeks of grinding to have gear acceptable to the uber geeks so they will allow you to  play with them?  Well shit ......when can I preorder?

I really am not certain how a story filled mmorpg could be WoW in space, but at least we have a point of reference for the mmos played by the journalist at comic-con. it's becoming a cliche in news articles on SWTOR: "WoW with light sabres". I think the problem for many on launch will be that the game isn't WoW enough, there won't be tier set raiding in the same way, and for that reason I think the game looks promising...
  • KorithianKorithian Member Posts: 243

I think there has to be some good gameplay information coming from this panel, if all they say is we can't talk about that and there is going to be group stories its really not worth the time.

People think we have a lot of information on ToR but the vast majority of it is fluff with back story or comics or class descriptions that missed out the advanced class choices or even what mechanics the class would use. We know there will be races and there will be restrictions but nothing more about the announced races. And so I think Bioware have to step up and start talking about the game play, what aspects companions will play, especially in group can we all pull out the same companion if we have them and if so which one interacts with the party or do we get a loop where your HK unit that you have turned to the darkside talks to you while my HK unit I have turned to the lightside talks to me.

In all honesty the difficulty of bring single player style story and consequences to group play may be too much for even bioware. And so rather than bother they will have cut it out, so you either play solo and get the story aspects or you play group and play a very generic kill the npcs style quest. And then this leads to more problems of if by playing in a group I lose out on being able to advance my companions or light/dark side points. Encouraging me (not that many MMO players need that much encouragement) to go solo. After all its get to play the full story driven MMO if I go Solo, get to play generic MMO X if I group. Its not too difficult to work out.

• KaoRyxKaoRyx Member Posts: 68

I don't think he is saying that he has to be unique or a world changer, just that he doesn't like the idea of being led through game where the concept is to follow a story-line (where most of the content will be solo-able or with "pets") as that goes against what he likes in a mmorpg. He probably likes more open world, players make the story, group dirven type game, which is fun, as well. And I'm not trying to speak for poster, just vibe I got from his post. All games developed have had to make decisions on what the game will have in it and what mechanics/concept they will focus on. I think this game will be a fun story-driven game, with star wars type action, characters and "powers" that will be similar to other games, except for the IP. I do like the idea of choices PC's can make in the story to change the outcome. So there will be some "impact" on the story, if not the world. It won't be for some people, but many will like and play it. As for me, I'm still on the fence and will probably wait a week after launch before deciding. I tend to do this anyway, because of so many bad launches lately or undelivered promises. Been burned before, but Bioware seems to be a dev that will not launch until it is ready. Anyway, we've got until next year to argue about it. hehe

Most of the content will be soloable. Really... how shocking... last I checked that was EVERY MMO EVER! Here is a list of the only group content any other MMO has:

- Instances/dungeons/raids

- The occasional quest that's too hard to solo

- World Bosses (which are essentially raids/group quests anyway)

- PvP/RvR related content.

All those things will be in TOR.

Not to mention that TOR also has Group Story Quests, which are way cooler than the so-called "Group Quests" from most other MMOs (which are really just more difficult single player quests) . There hasn't been lots of information about Multiplayer options in TOR, but there's been enough. The only people who are concerned about it are the ignorant fellows who are jumping on the "Story = 1 player" Bandwagon. Go to the official website and browse for 10 minutes and a majority of your concerns will vanish.

I feel like people in this community complain soooooo much about every new game before even a fraction of the total information has been announced. There is sooooooo much awesome stuff announced for this game and it's still 9 months prior to release! I can barely believe how much they've given us with so much time to go, and yet somehow people find a way to rally behind a fear that is unwarranted. I hope the secret, official announcement they have is a look into end-game content that will shut up the trolls.

Someday we'll all look back on the age of computers - and lol.

• hikariukhikariuk Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by Illyssia

Originally posted by Philby

Not WOW in space? No 40 man raids that require weeks of grinding to have gear acceptable to the uber geeks so they will allow you to  play with them?  Well shit ......when can I preorder?

I really am not certain how a story filled mmorpg could be WoW in space, but at least we have a point of reference for the mmos played by the journalist at comic-con. it's becoming a cliche in news articles on SWTOR: "WoW with light sabres". I think the problem for many on launch will be that the game isn't WoW enough, there won't be tier set raiding in the same way, and for that reason I think the game looks promising...

As far as I can tell, any new MMO that comes out automatically gets compared to WoW, regardless of whether that comparison is warranted or not.  From my perspective the comparison "is nothing like WoW" can only be a good thing for a game; I tried playing WoW once and got utterly bored.  

I realize there are many people who enjoy the game, which is fair enough.  It would just be nice if more people remembered that there are people who don't.  This is not entirely relevant, but it seems that, to many people, WoW is the be all and end all of the MMO super-genre.

From what I've seen of TOR it doesn't really strike me as being "WoW with lightsabers".  I can't help but think there are many people who either hope it will be or are just so enamoured with WoW that, to them, every MMO that comes out is a WoW clone.  Including the ones that pre-date it (and I've seen people try to claim that before).

I fondly remember the days when Warcraft was just an RTS.

• KaoRyxKaoRyx Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by Elikal

"So, to be more specific, I definitely love me some Bioware story, but I simply want to hear about something else, anything else! I’ve been feeling a bit lukewarm (pardon the lame Star Wars pun) about the bits and pieces of non-story elements I’ve seen on the game so far, and I’m not trying to be an alarmist here, but sometimes I wonder if Bioware isn’t talking about all those other things because there simply isn’t much of note to talk about."

I said THIS same thing about a year ago, and I was flamed so much I had to leave MMORPG.com for a while to recover. Now a year has passed and we still haven't heard ANY real details about anything substantial what makes SWTOR a MMO.

Actually Elikal "WE" have hear real details. "YOU" clearly haven't, but that's bound to happen when you leave for a year and come back claiming that you know what you're talking about. Story does not equal "exclusively 1-player content". There's been more than enough announcements and sneak peaks at multi player content to assure the world that TOR will be an MMO. Unfortunately, in order to see information on the internet you need to actually look. Data doesn't just knock on your door and project onto your face. Try using the search bar and maybe try another 1 year hiatus before you post again. Ignorance is a waste of time to people that have insightful, relevant, or at the very least Up-to-date things to say.

Someday we'll all look back on the age of computers - and lol.

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by KaoRyx

I don't think he is saying that he has to be unique or a world changer, just that he doesn't like the idea of being led through game where the concept is to follow a story-line (where most of the content will be solo-able or with "pets") as that goes against what he likes in a mmorpg. He probably likes more open world, players make the story, group dirven type game, which is fun, as well. And I'm not trying to speak for poster, just vibe I got from his post. All games developed have had to make decisions on what the game will have in it and what mechanics/concept they will focus on. I think this game will be a fun story-driven game, with star wars type action, characters and "powers" that will be similar to other games, except for the IP. I do like the idea of choices PC's can make in the story to change the outcome. So there will be some "impact" on the story, if not the world. It won't be for some people, but many will like and play it. As for me, I'm still on the fence and will probably wait a week after launch before deciding. I tend to do this anyway, because of so many bad launches lately or undelivered promises. Been burned before, but Bioware seems to be a dev that will not launch until it is ready. Anyway, we've got until next year to argue about it. hehe

Most of the content will be soloable. Really... how shocking... last I checked that was EVERY MMO EVER! Here is a list of the only group content any other MMO has:

Not to mention that TOR also has Group Story Quests, which are way cooler than the so-called "Group Quests" from most other MMOs (which are really just more difficult single player quests) . There hasn't been lots of information about Multiplayer options in TOR, but there's been enough. The only people who are concerned about it are the ignorant fellows who are jumping on the "Story = 1 player" Bandwagon. Go to the official website and browse for 10 minutes and a majority of your concerns will vanish.

I feel like people in this community complain soooooo much about every new game before even a fraction of the total information has been announced. There is sooooooo much awesome stuff announced for this game and it's still 9 months prior to release! I can barely believe how much they've given us with so much time to go, and yet somehow people find a way to rally behind a fear that is unwarranted. I hope the secret, official announcement they have is a look into end-game content that will shut up the trolls.

What awesome stuff is that.

Don't say story because GW2 has a story mode that is as good if not better.

Fully voice! erm i am pretty sure GW2 will be fully voiced as well.

Personal stories that effect the game and your personal individual outcome, erm Guild Wars 2 has this.

Housing ! been done more times than i can count.

Tell me what is so awesomely different about swtor.

Companions! you mean glorified pets, right. GW1 has Heroes/Henchmen, it's nothing new.

What do you really know about swtor other than story-classes-planets-and some of the races and the world is meant to be a full open world when BioWare have yet to prove that.

So tell me about the mmorpg part of swtor, tell me about the skills or areas on the planets, how does the A/H work or crafting, where is all the awesome stuff you say has been release, have i missed something?

Over 5 years in development and what do you really know about swtor other than it's BioWare which is an over hyped dev company from Canada. Play one BioWare game and you have played them all, they are like watching a movie.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Elikal

"So, to be more specific, I definitely love me some Bioware story, but I simply want to hear about something else, anything else! I’ve been feeling a bit lukewarm (pardon the lame Star Wars pun) about the bits and pieces of non-story elements I’ve seen on the game so far, and I’m not trying to be an alarmist here, but sometimes I wonder if Bioware isn’t talking about all those other things because there simply isn’t much of note to talk about."

I said THIS same thing about a year ago, and I was flamed so much I had to leave MMORPG.com for a while to recover. Now a year has passed and we still haven't heard ANY real details about anything substantial what makes SWTOR a MMO.

Actually Elikal "WE" have hear real details. "YOU" clearly haven't, but that's bound to happen when you leave for a year and come back claiming that you know what you're talking about. Story does not equal "exclusively 1-player content". There's been more than enough announcements and sneak peaks at multi player content to assure the world that TOR will be an MMO. Unfortunately, in order to see information on the internet you need to actually look. Data doesn't just knock on your door and project onto your face. Try using the search bar and maybe try another 1 year hiatus before you post again. Ignorance is a waste of time to people that have insightful, relevant, or at the very least Up-to-date things to say.

Huh? What the heck are you talking about? I wasnt left for a year.

You tell ME to use the search bar and you didn't even see me any time I posted here? Hellooo? Someone with an astronomic 13 posts in 5 years shouldn't berate ME about following debates.

The point is: what I said one year ago is now the common suspect of apparently the most. Or simply: toldja.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Really. Does this point really have to be argumented in seriousness, that Bioware isn't making a real MMO?

I cannot believe that people are actually believing that, it's either trolling or stubborn stupidity since reason and common sense say that Bioware would never jump into the MMO market and risking the enormous budget they got by making a MMO that doesn't have all the usual suspects when it comes to standard MMO features.

Do people really believe Bioware people are that idiotic that they'd risk losing large parts of the MMO gamer market by not including the regular MMO features you find in most of the MMO's? How idiot must someone be to believe that???

If people disagree with Bioware's focus on storytelling, fine, I can understand that. That's far from thinking that's the only thing they're spending their time on.

- They've already talked about encouraging group play and shown videos of teamplay.

- There are reports of playtesters who spend their hours in starter areas teamed up, and they liked it very much.

- Bioware devs have talked about it being very doable that players getting away from the story stuff and do other things and that there's enough to do.

- They said the planets are massive, and that they've implemented features/rewards to encourage exploration-on-a-whim

Since they only want to talk about features that as good as certain and finished made it into the game, there's a number of things they haven't talked about it yet. I think that's better than the ones promising all kinds of things only to deliver half of them.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• solocronosolocrono Member Posts: 173

A few times throughout this thread and other threads like it, I've seen people complain and whine about the game world not changing and making their character special.  Well.. in what MMO does this happen?  EVE ..... MAYBE.  But that's not even really an actual world, yes the game is player run, but there's no physical world to change so to speak.  And I haven't been following GW 2 so far, because the first didn't interest me, so I don't know much about that game to speak on it.

A long time ago when my friend was telling me about WoW when it FIRST came out, I was interested, but I remember asking him "Well, if I go and kill this dragon let's say, then what?  the person behind me does the same thing?"  and a small bit of me was confused and almost annoyed with this concept in my head, but after playing it, it didn't even bother me.  And apparently it doesn't bother 11 million people now either,  so why is it that everyone is complaining that  "Oh, my game world isn't going to change and be special for me?"  now SPECIFICALLY with SWTOR. 

To me, it seems that this game is going to be the closest that we're going to get so far to having that.

• smkunsmkun Member Posts: 2

I Love Star Wars

I Love MMOs

Sadly there are not any Star Wars MMOs in development. But TOR will be entertaining until the story runs out.

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by solocrono

A few times throughout this thread and other threads like it, I've seen people complain and whine about the game world not changing and making their character special.  Well.. in what MMO does this happen?  EVE ..... MAYBE.  But that's not even really an actual world, yes the game is player run, but there's no physical world to change so to speak.  And I haven't been following GW 2 so far, because the first didn't interest me, so I don't know much about that game to speak on it.

A long time ago when my friend was telling me about WoW when it FIRST came out, I was interested, but I remember asking him "Well, if I go and kill this dragon let's say, then what?  the person behind me does the same thing?"  and a small bit of me was confused and almost annoyed with this concept in my head, but after playing it, it didn't even bother me.  And apparently it doesn't bother 11 million people now either,  so why is it that everyone is complaining that  "Oh, my game world isn't going to change and be special for me?"  now SPECIFICALLY with SWTOR. 

To me, it seems that this game is going to be the closest that we're going to get so far to having that.

Perhaps you need to go and read up on GW2 then,their is a reason it the most anticipated mmorpg on this site and has been for the last 4 months.

Everything you are talking about GW2 will have,only this time round it's a full blown open world mmorpg.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/Guild-Wars-2.html

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

• TraylorTrashTraylorTrash Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by hikariuk

Sometimes I really wish I wasn't in the UK.

then move

• MaughannMaughann Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by NightAngell

What awesome stuff is that.

Don't say story because GW2 has a story mode that is as good if not better.

Fully voice! erm i am pretty sure GW2 will be fully voiced as well.

Personal stories that effect the game and your personal individual outcome, erm Guild Wars 2 has this.

Housing ! been done more times than i can count.

Tell me what is so awesomely different about swtor.

Companions! you mean glorified pets, right. GW1 has Heroes/Henchmen, it's nothing new.

What do you really know about swtor other than story-classes-planets-and some of the races and the world is meant to be a full open world when BioWare have yet to prove that.

So tell me about the mmorpg part of swtor, tell me about the skills or areas on the planets, how does the A/H work or crafting, where is all the awesome stuff you say has been release, have i missed something?

Over 5 years in development and what do you really know about swtor other than it's BioWare which is an over hyped dev company from Canada. Play one BioWare game and you have played them all, they are like watching a movie.

So, you apparently hate the idea of TOR and that's fine.

You also apparently love the idea of GW2, which is also fine. 

What I want to know is, given that the above two statements are true, why are you posting here?  

Your post reads like an advertisment.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

There are some valid points the author of this post is making, though I don't understand the whole WoW with light sabres thing. Too many things are getting compared to WoW nowadays, just because it's the big kid on the block.

It's funny, people say they hate WoW, then get hyped up about a game in development, leave WoW, get disappointed by the new game at release because it is most likely not as 'polished' as WoW, go back to WoW flaming the new game saying that WoW has the best 'polish', then go and gripe about how they hate WoW again after getting bored with it the umpteenth time. It's a vicious circle.

I digress a bit, but I think the point needs to be made that we quite often are self-defeatest because so many of us love to hate. I don't blame Bioware for being conservative with the information they've released about their game. The MMO community is impossible to please.

I do think that there are issues with group play and storyline from the information I have gleaned about SW:ToR. Most groups don't really want to wait around for story, so people might be prompted to go through the storyline as fast as possible. This could cause strife between those that just want to get from point A to point B, and those who want to stop and smell the daisies. Some people here are talking about GW2, but in GW1 I remember some groupleaders in particular screaming at groupmates who wanted to watch cutscenes rather than skipping them. Maybe that's something Bioware should leave out?

I like most Bioware games, I like Star Wars, so I am looking forward to this game, but blindly bashing or supporting it while it's still in development and without much info, I can't say that I'm more of a conservative optimist about it.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• DarthrauDarthrau Member Posts: 2

Heres the thing for me. Most people in PUG raids were just loot stealing brats who ran thier mouth. That is why I left WoW,I got tired of the childish behaviour. Now with TOR I don't HAVE to run with the punks if I don't want to or if my friends aren't on. Lack of 25 and 40 mans? I say amen brother. For the most part in an MMO I will interact in social areas and when I'm questing I'd rather not hear all the arguing over this isn't WoW yet here I am playing so I can make your day miserable talk. Dissappointed? heck no I hope more MMO's go this route personnally.