Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a grindless MMO that takes skill. not hours of grinding.

2»

Comments

• TyqerTyqer Member Posts: 8

Guild Wars and...

Guild Wars 2

BOOM!

Boom!

• otomageotomage Member Posts: 32

Don't listen to those nay sayers. Your answer is Fantasy Earth Zero.

I was extremely skeptical about this game until I actually played it. I found the graphics were much better in native resolution (still crap, mind you, but no where near as bad as videos and screenshots make it look), but most importantly-right after you hit level 15-which is directly out of the admittedly crappy tutorial, you have no problem killing any player, regardless of level. Its free to play with absolutely no cash shop imbalancing. Best part- the world PVP system gives you EXP for participating in battles, and all that leveling does is get you access to more skills and better items. I found out you don't need those items, or to be past level 15, to kill any player in the game, they just assist you in doing so. If you're a great PvP player like me, you'll have plenty of fun right off of the bat. The community is also awesome and helpful, and is the only way I got past the tutorial. There are usually some people willing to help you as soon as you enter the tutorial. I suggest you read about the classes and decide which one you want to play (I chose Ranger because of the leading mechanics), and highly suggest you play as Hordain, as they have the most helpful community.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Looks like it's the OP problem not MMO in general.

"Played A but didnt like something.....no go"

"Played B but didnt like something....no go"

Yeah...lol

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by Anubisan

Guild Wars is really the only one that comes to mind. If you consider it an MMO...

The game consists of well-designed story-driven quests and it does not take long at all to reach the max level. Once there, you will have many skills at your disposal and the game is all about picking the best spec for the situation.

If you haven't tried it yet, I would highly recommend it.

This exactly. When you want to try your hand at Vanquishing and decide to not rely on PvX you'll see that this game requires a high degree of skill. The PvP is rather good too and definitely worth at least a try.

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

COD4 for PC or xbox: It's massive multiplayer online, without the RPG, grinding, questing. It takes skill and it's pvp.

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

well, you can do that warhammer trial for free, but I like the pvp in that game so far. Just because im not paying for it and im on trial. I wouldn't pay i dont think, not for that game, but maybe.

You can pretty much get to lvl 5-7 and just go to that pvp area and it brings you up to the highest lvl of the rest of the players there and you can pvp. It's fun right now, but not a game I would invest a very long time into or pay for, especially since it seems like all the action is going on in the low level trial area, and believe me there is plenty of people. Something to check out until you find a game you like, i am doing it to kill time until ff or something.

Also there is WoW, at first you will have to do grinding, but then you can just do BG's all day long to level up aswell.

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by H2liveshot

Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

Originally posted by Nightbringe1

Originally posted by Banhammer16

I vote APB (All Points Bulliten) Being released spring of 2010 =)

Still involves building your characte over time, something the OP does not want.

The OP is not asking for that at all (granted he was less than eloquent in the asking of the question). He wants meaningful progression, and a general level of difficulty to the game. He says "It seems most MMOs difficulty levels stay exactly the same from level 1-1000". And he's more or less right. In most games each level range your overall statistics raise a certain % and the enemies over all statistics raise a certain %. Its almost as if throughout the whole game you are doing the exact same thing, just with the numbers getting more and more inflated. A "Level 20" should have the advantage over the "lower level" in his expertise and what he's found and learned in his adventures, whether they be neat skills or powerful spells, stronger equipment, or development of innate resistance to things such as Cold.

And here, "I mean where a lvl 1 can kill (not easy) a say lvl 20 using player skill. Not miss every attack you throw at the lvl 20 just because he is lvl 20. (talking about WoW here)", he is talking about a removal of artificial boundaries/limitations.

I disagree with the general statement that MMOs are about the level grind. MMOs were about the adventure, the sculpting of virtual worlds, and interactions with fellow players. Granted, modern day MMOs follow a very formulaic WoW approach, but I feel that in time we will start to see a return to the virtual world approach.

To answer your question OP, you may not find what you're looking for yet. I believe Mortal Online is trying to offer an experience similar to what you are looking for. You may also look into the Secret World, Funcom's in development title, which claims no levels and complete customization.

This is exactly what i have been trying to say. Your a master wordsmith. I wish I could have posted this over what I started with. Thanks so much Mortal Online does look like what I am looking for.

Do yourself a favour and look at the state of Mortal Online. There has been all sorts of news and rumours about serious gameplay issues. Check these forums and scour the interwebs for some reviews before going after the game. It may be what you're looking for but in this age you have to do more honework than really necessary to make a truly informed decision about a MMORPG.

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

The game I am going to propose might just fit your description (at least in some regards).

It's a little bit older and hasn't got that large a player base unfortunately. But in contrast to games like Shadowbane it's still running nonetheless. There you can in fact kill people 20 levels above you. Maybe not necessarily if you're level 1, but then you really don't have a single level. You have several attributes (strength, dexterity, intelligence, ...) and each of those have a level from 1 to (max.) 100 depending on your race.

You don't have to grind to max level to be able to participate in what you could describe as the end game (territorial PVP). You can jump in pretty early and if you aren't strong enough to fight yet you can still play an important role in taking outposts and the like as a hacker.

In the two years I had been playing I never reached the max level, still I had fun in PVP and OP fights all the time. Don't worry about the grind though. The leveling goes pretty quickly, it's just that I am a very casual player. I have never come further along than half the max level in any MMO I have played, well except this one.

I am talking about Neocron.

• scuubeedooscuubeedoo Member Posts: 458

Already suggested but i 'll explain a bit more than what the previous poster did: Face of Mankind.

There are a couple of player ranks you can gain but they don't make your character in any way more powerful. A starting character can easily kill another character that is been there for years. However a starting player won't kill some other player's character that is playing for long. Cause you 'll simply won't be good at playing the game at start, like you weren't good in any game at start - even pacman.

It has FPS combat but also RPG elements like factions, crafting, politics/conflict and generally the game mechanics encourage roleplaying and many players do it.

---

Also another option would be to join me in Warhammer Online's Trial. It's just 10 levels which you can gain in 1-2 days max, and then you can just play oRvR / scenarios like i do.

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation: Copy & Paste."

• TyqerTyqer Member Posts: 8

Guild Wars 2, again.

You don't grind. You play your way to level 80. You do instances. You have fun, you explore the world, you participate in PvP, you run around aimlessly and join in Dynamic Events, you go to a Charr arena, you make some friends, and before you know it, you are level 80.

I saw a screenshot with a Level 44 Charr, and he had 44,000 experience total I'm guessing. Compared to other RPG's that is nothing.

There will be no grind in Guild Wars 2, just play. There will never be a point when going out and killing Centaurs repeatedly or whatever will grant you more experience than doing Dynamic Events and having fun will.

Boom!

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Tyqer

Guild Wars 2, again.

You don't grind. You play your way to level 80. You do instances. You have fun, you explore the world, you participate in PvP, you run around aimlessly and join in Dynamic Events, you go to a Charr arena, you make some friends, and before you know it, you are level 80.

I saw a screenshot with a Level 44 Charr, and he had 44,000 experience total I'm guessing. Compared to other RPG's that is nothing.

There will be no grind in Guild Wars 2, just play. There will never be a point when going out and killing Centaurs repeatedly or whatever will grant you more experience than doing Dynamic Events and having fun will.

Dude, stop necro posting in this thread.  Its been a year since the OP posted first, so I'm sure he has come to a decision by now, and if its to go to the consoles, odds are he doesnt check this site regularly.  So drop it.

• magestonemagestone Member Posts: 80

you could give Global Agenda a shot!  A lvl 1 player can kill a max lvl character, if they have the skills to do so.  The only thing that gaining levels gives you, is more weapons, and different types of skins to make you look cool.  The skins are called armour, but do not give you bonuses.  There are slight bonuses that can be crafted... but even then, a level 1 can still kill a maxed player.  The only way you miss, is if YOU miss.  Bullets take time to travel, and there is no "tab, 1,2,3" gameplay.  It's aim, zoom, and 5,6,7 for other items such as gernades, power ups, ect.

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999

[]b]WHY[/b] are you people replying such an old thread? the original post was about a year ago, let it die, move along, nothing to see here >_>

imageimage