Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exploring Tips Please

scars87scars87 Member Posts: 234

I finaly probed my first unknown sig and found a ded space complex. It was deserted, maybe because someone cleared it already. But there was wreaks that were shown as jettison cans, clearly there is something in it, but I didn't have the skills at the time to open it. If I coninue to find these hackable wreaks what skills should I have to attempt to hack them. Also what other tips can you give for a novice explorer.

I'm currently flying a t2 fitted Rifter, and a probe; here are the skills I have so far:

Astrometric Rangefinding (not trained yet)

Astrometric Acquisition (not trained yet)

Astrometrics 3

Survey (not trained yet)

Hacking (not trained yet)

Archaeology (not trained yet)

Comments

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

I found that a Vexor works well for these sites. If you are solo, you are going to be confined to the hacking and archology sites outside of empire. The problem with all exlopration sites is getting to them before someone else. Starting as soon as possible after downtime will help. Low sec sites, doing atleast one or two a day, can be fairly profitable. Not like Level 4 missions, but they tend to be faster and more fun.

The trick is to keep your directional scanner up and pretty much spam it while doing the site. If a new ship pops up align to the sun. If someone enters the site warp asap. Moving around helps too, as people will become wise to what you are doing and hunt you down. TBH I think being stationed in a Wormhole is the best way to do exploration, as you have access to new systems everyday.

It seems to me that low sec is the most dangerous. If you try to do the combat plex's alone there you are going to get probed out a lot. It's a dangerous way to make money anyway you look at it, but if you can get a couple of friends and work your way into some ot the null sec combat sites, you can make some pretty good isk.

Can't really remember about the skills as it's been awhile since I did exploration (this might help), but I do remember that most sites offer small returns and then you get a really good one that makes up for it.

If your only in high sec, just do the combat sites. The DED ones are good, but the sites that provied escalation to other areas (in your journal) have just as good, if not better, chance of dropping a rare item.

hope that helps.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Originally posted by dRedawg

I finaly probed my first unknown sig and found a ded space complex. It was deserted, maybe because someone cleared it already. But there was wreaks that were shown as jettison cans, clearly there is something in it, but I didn't have the skills at the time to open it. If I coninue to find these hackable wreaks what skills should I have to attempt to hack them. Also what other tips can you give for a novice explorer.

I'm currently flying a t2 fitted Rifter, and a probe; here are the skills I have so far:

Astrometric Rangefinding (not trained yet)

Astrometric Acquisition (not trained yet)

Astrometrics 3

Survey (not trained yet)

Hacking (not trained yet)

Archaeology (not trained yet)

Some of those cans just require salvaging as opposed to hacking/archeology.

Also, qazyman mentioned, escalation can have some decent returns. Even when they fizzle out, I always thought they were sorta fun to chase the escalation as it lead through various systems.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence