Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Help with first build

MastapimpMastapimp Member Posts: 3

Ok so I'm new to building PCs and have been reading a lot of reviews of different hardware and such and came up with this build a few of the concerns I have are can I fit it all in the motherboard, is the power supply sufficent, and is the Wireless Lan Adaptor that I selected worth a damn      (I need the adaptor everything is downstairs and N is supposed 2 be fast enough so its not supposed 2 matter I would like to hear if thats true or not but pretty much I need it so dissin N will just shatter my hopes and dreams...lol) I would be ok with the build going 200 or so higher but it has 2 be with good reason 4 the upgrade also I am open 2 debate on the case i would like a cool looking case but if u can show me one with better cooling features or something that would be awesome, another thing I would like someones opinion on is what will need aftermarket fans on them and what won't like ram, processor, graphics card, and I am a noob so liquid cooling is like a nightmare waiting to happen so how many fans should the case I get have or is the one i chose good enough.......well if I had any other questions I forgot them ... o and I dont think I made it clear everything is open 2 debate I'll take experienced advice over mine seeing as this will be my first time building a com ...... be gental

Processor    $289.99

Motherboard  $199.99*

Memory  $209.99

Video Card  $489.99

Case  $79.99

Power supply  $99.99*

Optical Drive  $24.99

Hard Drive   $94.99

Sound Card  $129.99

Wireless Lan Adaptor  $69.99

Windows 7 64bit  $99.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5213932

Comments

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

hi, welcome!

That video card is meaty, but why not go the extra mile on a 5970.  Only 100 more.  I dont know anything about desktops though So i cant give you a reasonable awnser.  But welcome none the less!!!

• MastapimpMastapimp Member Posts: 3

I did notice that it was like 200 more but im not sure what the improvement is in getting the 5970 instead of 5870 if someone could tell me if it worth it or not i would appreciate it

Originally posted by Mastapimp

I did notice that it was like 200 more but im not sure what the improvement is in getting the 5970 instead of 5870 if someone could tell me if it worth it or not i would appreciate it

I wouldnt be the one, Im all about laptops.  I own a laptop, an alienware, its old though made in 2004, and is in need of a upgrade, or what I need is just a new laptop I mean. 

• slingblade9slingblade9 Member Posts: 21

What monitor size/resoluition are you going to be using? What games are you going to be playing?

Seems a bit overkill...could save money with AMD CPU

I'd recomend an Antec case like the 900. I doubt you will need a sound card.

Most MBs have a good integrated card. The PSU should be good.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

Depending what you plan on using the rig for and considering the price range you are looking at I would personally recommend seriously looking into getting an ASUS G73JH.  They come in various specs, just look around for the one that suites your needs.  I am currently using one and it is by far the most cost effective desk top replacement I have ever seen.  It does lack a FEW features standard on other laptops but for most gamers its not a real concern.  And, considering you didn't list all the items you would need for a desktop anyway (screen/mouse/keyboard/etc), if you are not a fan of playing games on a laptop you can always just plug it into a seperate screen/keyboard/mouse and use it just like you would a desktop anyway with the added advantage of having the ability to take it with you by throwing it in a backpack easily.  I love desktops but for the money this thing is hard to beat.  Then again if you just WANT to build a desktop nevermind.

• yan55555yan55555 Member Posts: 19

Do yourself a big favor and get a real case...

like this one -- HAF 932 -- http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-High-Tower-Black/dp/B001EPUQAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279788232&sr=8-1

or this one -- Antec 1200 -- http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Twelve-Hundred-Drive-2xUSB/dp/B0017KMI66/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1279788284&sr=1-1

and go foe memory DDR 3 Patriot 1600 the extreme performance they beat corsair...

Originally posted by miguksaram

Depending what you plan on using the rig for and considering the price range you are looking at I would personally recommend seriously looking into getting an ASUS G73JH.  They come in various specs, just look around for the one that suites your needs.  I am currently using one and it is by far the most cost effective desk top replacement I have ever seen.  It does lack a FEW features standard on other laptops but for most gamers its not a real concern.  And, considering you didn't list all the items you would need for a desktop anyway (screen/mouse/keyboard/etc), if you are not a fan of playing games on a laptop you can always just plug it into a seperate screen/keyboard/mouse and use it just like you would a desktop anyway with the added advantage of having the ability to take it with you by throwing it in a backpack easily.  I love desktops but for the money this thing is hard to beat.  Then again if you just WANT to build a desktop nevermind.

I have to agree with mig on this one, although what brand to get is up in the air. The asus g73 is a nice one and I personally like the np8690 third to the right side. The new np8850 you see has the new 480m nvidia third from the left, that would power anything with ease. The card just released for laptops this month. Super fast, but if your interested at all Id first take a look at notebookreview.  You can find out all you will ever need to know there and more. Also having an alienware and loving it I cant not recomend one.  

• sienosieno Member Posts: 119

if youre using all fans  try this power source

Item #: U12-40503

COMPARE

Ultra X4 850-Watt Modular Power Supply - 135mm Fan, ATX, Lifetime Warranty, 80+ Silver, NVIDIA SLI & ATI Crossfire Certifications

the one you have is wrong if youre going ati  dont know the budget youre on but I would say the i7 is a bit over kill  I would run amd phenom 2 (3.2)   unless youre a multitask junkie save some coin that way  and a 230 size fan or better in the back to withdraw the hot air would work  dont forget youre cpu fan coolmaster is a good one  though  would bump up the ram with the coin I  saved with the cheaper proccesser  and what reason would you want to go wireless  is youre own   even though I think its a waste  unless for work or something

You want loot? Go kill some npcs, you wanna visit hades? come find ME, and dont forget to bring coins for the ferryman,

• MastapimpMastapimp Member Posts: 3

Ok sorry but I dont want  a laptop they burn the crap outta you and if they r 4 games then if u unplug ur laptop 4 30min you are out of batteries also please stay away from saying overkill that is the point sorry 4 not clarifying I want a PC that I can play high settings on 4 a year or 2 mabey longer then upgrade once I can't or once something goes wrong the main advice I wanted was around the fact of if the motherboard I picked was a good one or if there was a better one or any of the other parts. O and at any one time I am playing a game, music, writing a essay or other homework, and have five hundred tabs open on Firefox.......I dont like 2 close things because I am scaried I will want them later lol

also please explain why it is better lol

ex.

why is  DDR 3 Patriot 1600 extreme better than  Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel

Also why is that power supply better is it because it is bigger or is it just better quality (also link didnt work 4 me)

O and the monitor I wanted was

Monitor  $369.99

The keyboard from what I've seen Im gunna get flamed about G15 but G19 is nice looking.......ahhhh not the face!!!

and no I do not think Im going 2 need a billion macros so its ok also price matters but this isnt a overnight buy everything purchase Im gunna get computor and components then be sad with my crap monitor and keyboard till I can recover lol

Keyboard  $179.99

the mouse I use is great and I need no replacement as I said I have a laptop and I play with my mouse on about 2inches of space if I can do that it is pretty damn fast move 2 inch full screen lol and I will have more than that amount of space with my computor

also with the case plz tell me which is better I really can't decide my problem is Im a sucker 4 the lights and shit I just love awesome looking cases lol and dont worry 2 much about money I just didnt want anyone saying why not go 4 a 1000 dollar video card or something lol .... and thanks a lot 4 the info so far I would just like a little explanation not just its better

• yan55555yan55555 Member Posts: 19

O and from the research i done the best value for your money will be 6  1600 mhz and patriot are cheap compared to other great brands and they  they perform very well compared to others.

• sienosieno Member Posts: 119

why is it the one I choose better  is becouse  youre pulling fans you would want the  extra to pull your fans and cpu plus running the recommended specs on your card plus and better quality  for either ati or nvidia incase you wanted to go sli or crossfire

hopes this is a little better 

You want loot? Go kill some npcs, you wanna visit hades? come find ME, and dont forget to bring coins for the ferryman,