Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com's Rating system

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 9,730

Hi there,

does anyone know if the rating system of MMORPG.com works with weighting factors ? Lately I wonder about some of the ratings, which seems to me to be a minority pushing game ratings either up or down with ratings of all 10s or all 1s. Now I dont think a game is THAT good to justify all 10s or that bad to earn all 1s. So any total rating of above 9.0 or below 2.0 is either a fanboy or a flamer rating, which does not really help in finding out if a game is good or not. Usually such extreme values are used, but with a factor to reduce its effectivness on the overall rating ...

Does this site use such factors ? And if not ... would it be a good idea in your opinion to intruduce them to make the ratings more objective ?

Usually the "our rating" from the site admins can be used as a good way to measure how objective current game ratings are. However , recently I have found such ratings to be absent .. most notably in the list leader WoW. I also get the impression that this "Our rating" does not change ... even if MMORPGS are by definition long running, often changing games .... so a yearly reevaluation of these ratings may be a good idea IMHO.

What do YOU think ?

Have fun

Erillion 

Comments

  • ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201


    Originally posted by Erillion

    What do YOU think ?

    I think people pay far too much attention to the ratings.

  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,620



    Originally posted by Erillion

    Hi there,
    does anyone know if the rating system of MMORPG.com works with weighting factors ? Lately I wonder about some of the ratings, which seems to me to be a minority pushing game ratings either up or down with ratings of all 10s or all 1s. Now I dont think a game is THAT good to justify all 10s or that bad to earn all 1s. So any total rating of above 9.0 or below 2.0 is either a fanboy or a flamer rating, which does not really help in finding out if a game is good or not. Usually such extreme values are used, but with a factor to reduce its effectivness on the overall rating ...
    Does this site use such factors ? And if not ... would it be a good idea in your opinion to intruduce them to make the ratings more objective ?
    Usually the "our rating" from the site admins can be used as a good way to measure how objective current game ratings are. However , recently I have found such ratings to be absent .. most notably in the list leader WoW. I also get the impression that this "Our rating" does not change ... even if MMORPGS are by definition long running, often changing games .... so a yearly reevaluation of these ratings may be a good idea IMHO.
    What do YOU think ?
    Have fun
    Erillion 



    I would welcome the discussion of a more advanced algorythm...but just cutting out many 1 and 10 votes will just lead to people voting 9 and 2's.

    We do have some other ideas for game ratings.  One of these is to give members the option to select their "top 3 favorite games" - this data could then be used as part of the score for games.  Because this is a "postitive only" system it really prevents bashing of games.

    I am no math wizard - but if someone out there has a really impressive formula for pulling out a more "true" score I would like to see it :)

    Also note that our ratings do have a "curve" in them.  What this does is basically "zoom" into the scores and in effect increases all scores (those at the bottom move a little up and those at the top move a lot up).  This just makes the ratings spread out more - and it does help compensate for some abuse.

    - MMORPG.COM Staff -

    The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

  • BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Is one abuse, which I hear from other people, is one person with multiple accounts.  Then in turn giving 10s to one game and 1s to all others.
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,620



    Originally posted by BarryManilow
    Is one abuse, which I hear from other people, is one person with multiple accounts.  Then in turn giving 10s to one game and 1s to all others.


    This is why we have the "rank of 5 or greater" rule to post hype or ratings.  This does not 100% prevent duplicate accounts - but drastically reduces it.  Few people have the patience to create all the accounts and wait for them to rank up...most punks who would do this need more instant gratification image

    Unfortunately, do to the anonymous nature of the Internet - there is just little you can do to stop people from creating multiple accounts.  Dial-up users get a new IP every time they connect and many ISPs use proxy servers which make thousands of people appear as the same IP.

    - MMORPG.COM Staff -

    The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

  • rentantilusrentantilus Member UncommonPosts: 798



    Originally posted by Admin

    I am no math wizard - but if someone out there has a really impressive formula for pulling out a more "true" score I would like to see it :)




    Easy, just make it so that the only votes that count towards a game's rating are those mady by members with 100 or more posts in the general forums or at least 50 posts in that game's forum.  Also, immediately throw out someone's votes if they give all 10's or all 1's.  Sorry, but not even World of Warcraft is all 10's and not even Bloodlust is all 1's.  Obviously, everyone is going to immediately change their fanboy/flame votes if you went with exactly 10 and exactly 1, so you would have to secretly come up with a cutoff point, like 9.7 and 1.3; all votes above or below those (respectively) are eliminated.  The trick is to NEVER tell us what those cutoff points are.  Also, throw out all votes where all eight scores are the same (like someone voting all 2's, for example).  That's just a lazy fanboy/flamer.

    Or, if you want a really accurate measure of each game on your list, handpick your voters from the member population.  When you see someone who writes informed posts, gives proof behind each of their viewpoints, and otherwise seems like a good person, tag them as able to vote.  Sure, you won't get 1,000's of votes, but which review/hype of a game would you rather see:  one given by 100 hand-picked members with honest opinions and educated observations or one given by 180,000 fanboys/flamers?

    __________
    When you see a new MMORPG, honestly think to yourself: "Is this game designed to EARN my $15 per month subscription with content, originality, and long-term value, or is it just designed to SCAM me out of $50 when I buy the box at the store with flashy advertising, biased reviews, and empty promises?"

  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 9,730

    >>>>

    The trick is to NEVER tell us what those cutoff points are.  Also, throw out all votes where all eight scores are the same (like someone voting all 2's, for example).  That's just a lazy fanboy/flamer.

    >>>>

    Excellent summary.

    You admins could  throw out any votes where all scores are the same ... you KNOW they are bogus votes.

    You should have a cut off treshold (dont tell us !) where you dont use ratings because they have no value ... those typical 9.9 or 1.1 votes have no informational value ... those are just fanboy or flamer ratings.

    Forget my suggestion about weighting factors ... these methods above are clean, easy to implement ways to get more useful ratings.

    And IMHO  take a look at your "official" ratings every year or so and readjust them .... games may change a lot with updates, patches and expansions.

    Have fun

    Erillion

  • ExpatriateExpatriate Member Posts: 202

    Good idea, rentantilus--a select board of raters/reviewers.  They could also have their own pages of reviews.   When you identify a reviewer who shares your tastes and interests, you could look through his/her reviews to identify games you want to try, kind of like having a favorite movie reviewer.

    I'm really tired of spending a lot of time downloading top-rated games only to have them turn out to be crap, and I REALLY don't want to waste my money on garbage.  That's why I joined MMORPG.com in the first place. 

    I wasn't allowed to write a review for months, and I thought that meant only long-time members were able to review games, which I thought was a good idea, until I found out it just took some posts in the regular forums to qualify to write a review, and some people are joining and reviewing the same day.  People shouldn't be allowed to review until after being a member of MMORPG.com for at least a month--that would keep a lot of the garbage and spam ratings out.

    Watch the latest episode of "The Guild" and other Pwnage videos from around the net--also post your own: http://PwnerTV.com

Sign In or Register to comment.