Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online Will be Pay To Play!!!

2»

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by michaelmnn

They Lie cause they love you =)

Close, they lie cause they love your wallet or at least whats in it lol. 

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Any kind of cash shop that sells in-game stuff is a fail in a Superhero MMO, imho.

If you have to pay money to make your superhero look right, then that's a huge mistake.  Appearance is a HUUUUUGE issue with Supers.

I thought this was going to be kinda like GW2 in a pricing model.  Now I'll have to think carefully about whether I want to try it (depends on what new information comes out).  If there is a cash shop where they want you to spend money on outfit components and such then I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

Originally posted by Drachasor

Any kind of cash shop that sells in-game stuff is a fail in a Superhero MMO, imho.

If you have to pay money to make your superhero look right, then that's a huge mistake.  Appearance is a HUUUUUGE issue with Supers.

I thought this was going to be kinda like GW2 in a pricing model.  Now I'll have to think carefully about whether I want to try it (depends on what new information comes out).  If there is a cash shop where they want you to spend money on outfit components and such then I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

It wont be a big item shop, but EVERY game has them, World of Warcraft has an item mall where you can buy mounts and such you cant get any other way, every game wants more money and will have item shops eventually, I dont like if they give an unfair advantage to people who play the game, I think costume pieces arent a big deal if they dont give god-like stats, some people like to buy their character and I dont think that is right, but if it doesnt give an advantage than its alright.

Mystery Bounty

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I'm willing to P2P.  Always have done it, and always will.  Still, I was hoping this game would go the GW route.  I would have definitely bought it on release day.  Now I will have to wait a few months to see if it's worth the time and  a sub fee... 

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Originally posted by Emotions

Originally posted by Papadam

Here is a link: http://www.massively.com/2010/06/17/e3-2010-dc-universe-online-takes-it-up-a-notch/#continued

Since its SOE it will probably be monthly sub + microtransactions so I dont see how this is good news.

I was hoping that the PS3 version would be like GW, buy the box and then extra stuff with microtransactions...

Oh well, keep waiting for a decent MMO for PS3!

Since when is guild wars a mmo?

it just has a very fancy gather place which was a waste of development time anyway. Could have been a regular chat box and more development time for the content of the game. The game is actually like hon or LoL. No one says they are mmo's but they are basicly the same thing. They just didn't waste time on some city to gather in.

The reason gw was free is because it didn't need the heavy lifting of servers as in open world mmo's.

So if you see that a new mmo has an open world, either its gonna have an in-game store, or payment on interval. And if it doesn't have an open world, than it just bad publishing. 

OK... even if GW wasn't an MMO (and I agree), why is GW2 still using the same payment model as the first one?  From what I hear, that is a real MMO with an open world.  

• RamadarRamadar Member Posts: 167

Until I see an official announcement on the SOE website or the DCUO website confirming a monthly fee Im not going to consider that E3 interview as official.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb....

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by MysteryB

It wont be a big item shop, but EVERY game has them, World of Warcraft has an item mall where you can buy mounts and such you cant get any other way, every game wants more money and will have item shops eventually, I dont like if they give an unfair advantage to people who play the game, I think costume pieces arent a big deal if they dont give god-like stats, some people like to buy their character and I dont think that is right, but if it doesnt give an advantage than its alright.

A big part of making a superhero is the costume.  Charging extra for that IS a big deal.  I don't care about stats.  From a gameplay perspective with Superheroes, appearance matters.

• MeromorphMeromorph Member Posts: 75

A big part of making a superhero is the costume.  Charging extra for that IS a big deal.  I don't care about stats.  From a gameplay perspective with Superheroes, appearance matters.

Both City of Heroes and Champions Online offer more than 100 times as many free costume parts as the ones they sell through RMTs (booster packs in CoH and the C store in CO).   If DCUO falls substantially below this ratio they might be in trouble, but I suspect that like its competitors DCUO will have lots of customization in the default package before considering RMTs.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

Originally posted by Ramadar

Until I see an official announcement on the SOE website or the DCUO website confirming a monthly fee Im not going to consider that E3 interview as official.

Well your oblivious to the truth man haha, it has been announced on dcuosource and plenty of other areas, it wasnt just 1 interview, it was multiple and in videos. Most good MMOs are p2p, it makes them better, server upkeep, paying devs and such, if you dont want to pay that dont buy it but dont act like you can click your heels together and make it not true, thats stupid.

Mystery Bounty

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

This saddens me honestly, because P2P doesn't always mean great game. Really it doesn't. I was only looking at this title because it seemed to be a strong game with a F2P model, a move I view as progressive. The only game that has attempted this so far is GW. It's really sad to see people get excited that they have to pay more just play at all. I welcomed the idea of a box price with no sub, it's a nice model that should be pursued more often. 

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by MisterSr

This saddens me honestly, because P2P doesn't always mean great game. Really it doesn't. I was only looking at this title because it seemed to be a strong game with a F2P model, a move I view as progressive. The only game that has attempted this so far is GW. It's really sad to see people get excited that they have to pay more just play at all. I welcomed the idea of a box price with no sub, it's a nice model that should be pursued more often. 

Quiet you.

Everyone knows that the more something costs, the better it *has to be*. /snicker

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Hey guys, incase some of you havent heard it was announced at the E3 Expo DCUO will be pay to play, the fee will be $15 a month! I am excited about this, now all the free to play people can go on their merry way

Due to the nature of mmo's I couldn't see myself wanting to see less of any type of person playing my game.  Bt having said that I hope that they atleast give the free month with purchase because I still have neither much love for SOE nor faith in them or there abilities so I certainly don't want to pay more than purchase price for a game I'm almost certain I won't want to play after the first month.

And lol'd at GTWander.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Ramadar

Well your oblivious to the truth man haha, it has been announced on dcuosource and plenty of other areas, it wasnt just 1 interview, it was multiple and in videos. Most good MMOs are p2p, it makes them better, server upkeep, paying devs and such, if you dont want to pay that dont buy it but dont act like you can click your heels together and make it not true, thats stupid.

Hmm strangely enough most people wouldn't call more than one or two mmo's good as it is so that doesn't speak well to your averages of most good mmo's being p2p.  The most played mmo's quite often have a known ip attached to it which more than anything facilitates the need for a sub fee as well as accounting for the numbers that they do (subscription wise) I don't think this has anything to do with whether they chose to be p2p or f2p.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

I agree.  Holding back costumes for a fee would be unacceptable to me and if the game has a CS thats exactly what will be in it. Just as Cryptic has done with the ships and uniforms they know are most disireable.  I gave up on EQ2 due to a cash shop and LOTRO as well so i wont be buying any game with one.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

SOE...

Subscription was always a given due to station access.

Again it is SOE, microtransactions will be in. Again it is SOE, expect a few servers where characters/equipment/whatever can be bought and sold for cash. Again it is SOE, the game will be placed on a skeleton crew once it is released.

SOE would have huge games if they'd just fix the last one. They have the talent, they have the games, but management kills everything it touches.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by midmagic

SOE would have huge games if they'd just fix the last one. They have the talent, they have the games, but management kills everything it touches.

Unfortunately, they tend to export their management to other companies as well.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan