Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

nvidia gx 470 gets kindle hot and noise?

skeith138skeith138 Member Posts: 176

my graphic card gets pretty hot when playing and my computer makes noises.

i have a OCZ 700W modstream and my case has 3 fans on it but the computer is noise and my graphic card gets hot when playing games.

was wondering what kind of cooling is best for it?

BTW using a GeForce 470 GX and a AMD III x4  M4a79XTD EVO.

Comments

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

How hot are we talking? The 470 is designed to run pretty hot.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • skeith138skeith138 Member Posts: 176

um..how u find out the tempeture for ur graphic card in windows 7? can u plz answer back

k this is what it shows from techpowerup GPU-Z:

GPU core clock= 405.hmz

GPU memory clock= 162.0 mhz

GPU shader clock= 810.0 MHZ

GPU temperature= 68.0 *C

PCB temperature= 46.0 mhz

GPU temperature= 64.8 mhz

PCB temperature= 46.8 mhz

fan speed= 40%

fan speed= 1745 RPM

memory used= 96MB

GPU load= 2%

memory controlled load= 6%

video engine load= 0%

VDDC = 0.8750V

when i touch my graphic card its pretty hot and the computer making noises. not sure if i need a bigger fan or cooler though.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

I like EVGA Percision to control the fan speed for certain games and apps.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

When is the last time you updated your Nvidia drivers. A couple of months back they put out a set that incorrectly kept the GPU fan speed lower than is should have been. That driver set was only available for a day or two though. They quickly pulled it and replaced it.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • x3r0hx3r0h Member Posts: 186

Originally posted by grunty

When is the last time you updated your Nvidia drivers. A couple of months back they put out a set that incorrectly kept the GPU fan speed lower than is should have been. That driver set was only available for a day or two though. They quickly pulled it and replaced it.

Most definitely. I was going to note that the majority of fixes to GPUs is to simply update the drivers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Your pride, good sir, far exceeds your worth." -x3r0h

Oldest mmorpg.com member with the least amount of post counts. That counts for something, right?

well i build my own comp and got it running last night. this morning was just installing the motherboard gadget, updating the Window7 and installign the CD fro the GeForce 470 GX. my graphic card gets really hot when i play games ( only install killing floor so far) and my computer is making noises. so i'm not sure if my power supply is the correct one or if i needed a higher one?

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Didn't you read all the warnings that the GTX470 and GTX480 were power hungry and run hot?

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Any driver you get off of a CD sent with any graphics hardware is already several versions old. Always go to the Nvidia or ATI website and get the latest version when installing new graphics hardware.

Also leaving out important information such as having just built the system last night and it not being several months or years old would avoid potentially useless advice.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 353

By default my gtx 285 is at 40% for fan speed, playing a game like conan it can get up to 80c

I use the evga precision to turn the fan up to the 80% range and that usually drops it down to about 50c.

If the card is running at 80c range you WILL get crashes

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

Originally posted by Vercin

By default my gtx 285 is at 40% for fan speed, playing a game like conan it can get up to 80c

I use the evga precision to turn the fan up to the 80% range and that usually drops it down to about 50c.

If the card is running at 80c range you WILL get crashes

thxs alot man. didn't even know about the EVGA Precision. just made my  fan speed increase to 63% and now my graphic card isn't heating up anymore. my GPU temperature is 41*C so far.

while i do hear the fan more louder i think i can leave with that =)

thxs for the help again =).

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

80s will not crash a video card. Cards don't start having that problem until they start running past 100C. Now, for the sake of longevity, it's still important to keep the card(s) in your machine running as cool as possible, and running above 85-90 is definitely harmful over very long periods (even if you won't get immediate crashes).

• Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

Originally posted by skeith138

my graphic card gets pretty hot when playing and my computer makes noises.

i have a OCZ 700W modstream and my case has 3 fans on it but the computer is noise and my graphic card gets hot when playing games.

was wondering what kind of cooling is best for it?

BTW using a GeForce 470 GX and a AMD III x4  M4a79XTD EVO.

Overclock it and use it as a cheese melter.

Win-win.

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

running Killing floor or alien swarm takes teh graphic card to 56-59 *C.

running wow takes it 2   61 *C

running COH takes it to 68-70 *C

i think my graphic card is heating up to much?

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by skeith138

running Killing floor or alien swarm takes teh graphic card to 56-59 *C.

running wow takes it 2   61 *C

running COH takes it to 68-70 *C

i think my graphic card is heating up to much?

These are pretty normal temperatures for a GPU to have when running in graphics mode. My old 8800GT used to come over 80C at times and run like a glance.

Keep in mind that the GT4xx series (as well as the ATi DX11 cards) use heavier CPU's on the video-card than your multi-core CPU most likely has ;)

...this thread does remind me to install the EVGA tool to view temperature and see how hot my GTX460 will get ;)