Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Copernicus revealed.

I dont know how many of you know already, but Curt Schilling's MMO nicknamed Copernicus is set to make an appearence at Comicon this year. http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1106159p1.html

I personally am pretty interested in this. Perhaps Curt and his company can really pull this MMO thing off and make a great game. We will have to see.

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Excellent find!

Of course, the reveal could be Mercury (their planned stand-alone RPG), and not Copernicus, since I believe they said that Mercury would come out first.

Either way, they are both set in the same universe, so we'll finally be getting some information at last.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262

I'm optimistic of the potential this game/company has, but at the same time skeptical because he's a known WoW addict.

Let's hope that doesn't get in the way of producing a solid game and it's not just another copy + paste job like we've seen time and time again.

• Limbless_k9Limbless_k9 Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by Rohn

Excellent find!

Of course, the reveal could be Mercury (their planned stand-alone RPG), and not Copernicus, since I believe they said that Mercury would come out first.

Either way, they are both set in the same universe, so we'll finally be getting some information at last.

Oh i forgot about that game! >.< Still should be a good day with good news as you said.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Yeah, it's not Copernicus that is being revealed, it's Mercury, the single-player game. Mercury is, however, set in the same world as Copernicus so we will get to see the look and experience some of the lore of what will be in Copernicus.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by Limbless_k9

Originally posted by Rohn

Excellent find!

Oh i forgot about that game! >.< Still should be a good day with good news as you said.

Most definitely should be good for information either way, and I'm pretty excited about that.

Again, that was a great find!

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• So is this going to be like Torchlight where the single player game is a lot like how the MMO will be?  Or is it merely the same IP/art?

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

This game fantasy,Sci-Fi, or Real Terms?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Originally posted by gestalt11

So is this going to be like Torchlight where the single player game is a lot like how the MMO will be?  Or is it merely the same IP/art?

I believe all anyone really knows is that they are set in the same universe.  Beyond that, it's a bit of a mystery.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Fantasy I believe, based on some of the art shown in the background of shots of people working at 38. Nothing says fantasy like a huge Centaur.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

so all they will reveal is a single player game based on the universe....

in other words, some lore....which is the last thing that 99% MMO players (made up statistic more accurate than you'd ever think) care a fuck about....

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

Originally posted by arcdevil

in other words, some lore....which is the last thing that 99% MMO players (made up statistic more accurate than you'd ever think) care a fuck about....

Actually, if the MMO is steeped in meaningful lore, I'd be very interested in it. Assuming the MMO isn't another WoW clone, that is. So I do hope that we can get an idea about the MMO as well, what kind of game play it will be, etc. I don't want just a story behind it. I want a game that plays to it's lore, something other than a level grind where lore becomes just a backdrop.

Once upon a time....

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Originally posted by Aconsar

I'm optimistic of the potential this game/company has, but at the same time skeptical because he's a known WoW addict.

Let's hope that doesn't get in the way of producing a solid game and it's not just another copy + paste job like we've seen time and time again.

Known WoW addict well then no hope at all:P

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• J_HurryJ_Hurry Member UncommonPosts: 230

Great, another 1P game. How innovative.

When's their MMOG coming out, 2015?

LGM Alchemist (Legendary Grandmaster)
  • PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Absolutely. Lore sucks. Lets just have a race to endgame and grind to get the cool gear type game. 

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Amaranthar

Actually, if the MMO is steeped in meaningful lore, I'd be very interested in it. Assuming the MMO isn't another WoW clone, that is. So I do hope that we can get an idea about the MMO as well, what kind of game play it will be, etc. I don't want just a story behind it. I want a game that plays to it's lore, something other than a level grind where lore becomes just a backdrop.

As Kurt was an EQ1 gamer, I would think he takes some inspiration from that game.

It will shock me if he goes the route of sandbox ala SWG PRECioUs/EVE/UO.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455

Seems Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is coming out Fall 2011.  That's still over a year away and Copernicus is supposed to come out after that.  Guess we won't see the MMO for at least a couple of years; more likely a 2013 launch.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

Originally posted by SpectralHunt

Seems Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is coming out Fall 2011.  That's still over a year away and Copernicus is supposed to come out after that.  Guess we won't see the MMO for at least a couple of years; more likely a 2013 launch.

Although I wish it were here today, ultimately I say GOOD!  I hope they take all the time they need.  For the love of God, I hope they are a competent studio and have the time and resources.  The last thing we need is another abortion of a game that screams "potential!" but came out of the oven too early.

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455

Originally posted by ForceQuit

Originally posted by SpectralHunt

Although I wish it were here today, ultimately I say GOOD!  I hope they take all the time they need.  For the love of God, I hope they are a competent studio and have the time and resources.  The last thing we need is another abortion of a game that screams "potential!" but came out of the oven too early.

Well, Curt Schilling certainly did grab some respected individuals in their respective fields.  He is dishing out the cash to gather the best it seems.  Ken Rolston is working on the game so we can expect KoA to be an evolution of the Elder Scroll series.

I certainly am intrigued.  But yeah, I wish there were some MMOs in the near future that has great potential.  I think SW:TOR can be great but that's still a year away too.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Fantasy I believe, based on some of the art shown in the background of shots of people working at 38. Nothing says fantasy like a huge Centaur.

You are correct; It's been confirmed as High Fantasy with a 10,000 year history.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248

Oooo I can't wait! I have been highly interested in his project since I first knew about it back in 2006 I believe. Hopefully he brings back some of the EQ philosophy of a community and challenge!

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Philby

Absolutely. Lore sucks. Lets just have a race to endgame and grind to get the cool gear type game. 

Ladies and gentlement, introducing you....."The last guy on earth that actually reads the quest text box"