Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Power source should i get?

treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269
I have some old pc parts and i am going to build a new pc. The graphic card is nvidia 8800 gtx 1gb and the cpu a athlon 6400 3,2ghz. Should i use a 500w or more? Thanks a lot

Comments

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

ya, pretty much spot on.  Get a 550 and you'll be fine.  Although if you already have a 500w that should be ok as well

• treyu86treyu86 Member UncommonPosts: 269

OK thanks a lot mate, I will get a 550W or a 500  :)

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Make sure you get a decent unit, too.

Getting a 500W PSU doesn't mean buying the $18.99 POWMAX special with 500W of peak output.

Get something from a reputable brand, like OCZ or Thermtake or PC Power and Cooling, make sure it has 500W of continuous output instead of just peak output, and try to get one with active PFC (anything with that will be of good quality anyways).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Get a Corsair 550W PSU, it is the best for the price.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Loke666

Get a Corsair 550W PSU, it is the best for the price.

+1

This. These babies are built like tanks.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

I have that exact setup, and I use a 500w. So it doesn't matter if you go any higher than that. I haven't had any problems with a 500w at all.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Panther2103

I have that exact setup, and I use a 500w. So it doesn't matter if you go any higher than that. I haven't had any problems with a 500w at all.

It depends a lot on which brand you use. Min specs (if I remember correctly) is 480W but cheaper brands often deliver badly. A Corsair PSU will deliver the power you need, no more or less.

The reason I recommend 550W Corsair is because a little extra is best. Maybe OP decides to put in another harddrive or 2, maybe he will use it for his next setup or upgrades the GFX card in the future. 

Buying the cheapest possible PSU is something that will bite you later on, trust me. And the price difference between a good and a bad isn't really that high either.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Rule of thumb for me is you want to keep in the 40% to 60% range of the PSU.  

Cpu, motherboard, ram, videocard, and cooling setup should use half of what the PSU's max watts is.

Amps is another thing to look at ( a 550w should have around 36a).

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

You want to get a 1500w power supply so you can tri-sli GTX480s.

• tidecorptidecorp Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Cleffy

You want to get a 1500w power supply so you can tri-sli GTX480s.

tri sli gtx480's requires a nuclear reactor.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

You cant go wrong with Corsair IMO.

I have them in both of my PCs I built and have never had a single problem. One is a 750w thats around 2 1/2 years old and still going strong after many many hours of use. The other is an 850w that i picked up on sale off newegg for around 85 bucks a few months ago.