Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony gets slammed! PS2s being removed from shelves...

http://ps2.gamespy.com/articles/599/599417p1.html

*SIGH* LOL just read the article and say whatever the hell you want....

Comments

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Well Ive managed to avoid the temptation of buying a console all this time.

Guess if I change my mind it wont be a PS2 now anyway image

What gets me though is the way these companies must know they are doing it. I mean Sony didnt just go "Oh look we found this chip on the floor in the workshop lets put it in our new console and see if it does anything". They must have known that it would come to this. Why do they do it ???

Like the Wachowskis and Matrix. I thought those guys had such cool imaginations and as it turns out they too thought they could get away with selling someone elses ideas...

Whats wrong with their heads image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• SaigonshakesSaigonshakes Member Posts: 937

Over a rumble feature? Pretty stupid imo.

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

I mean seriously, no one could have ever thought of a rumble feature, it's so original.

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

Originally posted by Xzaro
    I mean seriously, no one could have ever thought of a rumble feature, it's so original.
    If that was sarcasm, I hate to say it, but I wouldnt have.

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there
  • LightSlayerLightSlayer Member Posts: 182
    Well, if it WAS sued we would all be hearing it on the tube right about now.....

---------------------------------------------

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

It's on appeal....which means SONY hasn't pulled anything yet until the final court decision is done. And if SNY does loose the appeal, they'll simply pay the millions of dollars of the reward and then pay for the rumble license.

Trust me, you won't be seeing Playstation 2s being pulled from the shelves. I am a game store manager, and we received a shipment of 6 Slim lines yesterday and we have in order 12 more for Pre Orders alone. We've never been contacted by anyone to remove these products off the shelves.

When XBox had their power cord recall, an Official Microsoft Tech person came in with a box of new cords plus a stack of info business cards the exact day the recall was announced. I'm sure if this judgement was final and they were forced to remove their systems off the shelves, I would have been notified in some way about it.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• IdiotuserIdiotuser Member Posts: 15

Seems to be an early April fools joke ...

Cause this is really really weird.

Can't think of anything to say so I Point to the things said

"They watch the sun disappear in the horizon, hopeful it will return and not go supernova causing them instant suffocation and death"
    --The Mating Habits Of The Earthbound Human

Ashen Empires AKA Dransik|Click me to play Warriors2|Questionable Content

• paradymeparadyme Member Posts: 238

Why wasn't MS sued too, they mention right in the article that it's used in Both PS and XBox and how long has ?ony been using this? 10 years now and they only deside to sue now? sounds pretty wack to me.

• IragaelIragael Member Posts: 29

Sounds weird ... I don't own a PS2, by as I recall, my brother's PS2 and PS have a rumble feature in them ...

~Iragael Vandayanaa,
    Elder of the Vandayanaa Dynasty,
    Knight,
    Order of the Shield,
    Sacred Silver Blades.
    My icon is copyright Jonathon Earl Bowser.

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Originally posted by paradyme
    Why wasn't MS sued too, they mention right in the article that it's used in Both PS and XBox and how long has ?ony been using this? 10 years now and they only deside to sue now? sounds pretty wack to me.

Maybe they paid licensing fees? Not sure..

• theBLANGtheBLANG Member Posts: 26
    why is it that this issue is just now coming up.  rumble has been a feature in controllers for a long time now.

-M-A-X--L-V-L--C-H-A-R-S-
    -EQ: Exxar - 60 Wizard (Karana)
    Quit - Scars of Velious
    -DAOC: Sethir - 50 Bard (Percival)
    Quit - Foundations

• CeredwynnCeredwynn Member Posts: 124

Originally posted by En1Gma

It's on appeal....which means SONY hasn't pulled anything yet until the final court decision is done. And if SONY does loose the appeal, they'll simply pay the millions of dollars of the reward and then pay for the rumble license.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=619259

SCE Spokeswoman said "Sony will be paying compulsory license fees to Immersion"

So I guess they are already making measures for the lost appeal.. there's just no way that SCE is going to let such a success be crushed by this.. they know what to do.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Actually MS was originally also sued. However, they had the good sense to settle out of court for 26 million or so. MS also aquired 10% of the company with the patent as part of the settlment.

Sony, on the other hand, stuck things out. I'm sure that their court costs are running in to the millions by now, and the terms of the current settlement would force them to stop selling PS2s as well as most of the popular PS2 games. They really need to settle the case out of court and move on, in my opinion. Of course that might be difficult geiven that MS has a large stake in the company . . . .

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

I think Nintendo have a license as well.  Those licenses and patentes are evils and often exagerated IMO.  Someone must have a copyright on 2 headeds pencils, which is presponderous!

I just hope they dont take those funds from EQ3 development.

I am not sure about laws, but maybe it could be possible to not pay $1(maybe a % of the profit on some sells?) yet completely stopping all sells of PS2 in the US(and releasing the PS3), maybe they would have to allow others consoles to be able to play old PS2 games in the US, it is not something to discard without a though.  I am not versed in laws and marketting.  I am extremely clueless about everything there.

Could be an april fool as well hehe.

It should be possible to make the court agree that whatever money they have to pay cannot exceed the profits of using say feature, but I have no idea on the how to present that and how someone would build such a case.  I have no idea if we are talking about serious money or pocket money when we are talking about the PS2 market and the profits it bring...

Yet, an out of court agreement is prolly possible, if there is no PS2 or PS3 available for a few months I am sure Microsoft would find that to their tastes...

So much evil in this big world. image   But again, I would be playing on an Amiga 9375869 if Microsoft was not Microsoft.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by paradyme

Edited: found out more details.

Evidently MS WAS sued originally and settled for a substantial chunk of change.
    I found something that indicates they may have purchased a large chunk of Immersion as well?

If the two above items are true I wouldn't wanna be the guy from Sony that tries to settle.... not with Micro$oft owning part of the company now...

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Did you find out here like I did?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/28/news_6121137.html

Or did you figure that out from my post?

The relevant quote from the news story:

Microsoft settled out of court with Immersion in 2003, avoiding messy legal proceedings for $26 million, which also got Microsoft a 10 percent stake in Immersion.

Sorry if I'm being snippy, I'm at work way too late and bit cranky.image

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• Dantes77Dantes77 Member Posts: 106
    ok i wasnt really gonna get in the conversation but let me give you guys some info. This is not a april fools joke i swear to you by that. This was all on stock news channels and cnn so dont think this is an april fools.
  • OminisOminis Member Posts: 1,015

Yeah, I've seen this story from a number of big news sources so I would doubt that it's any mass conspiracy April Fool's Joke. At any rate it has probably cost Sony millions for not settling like Microsoft so they are probably kicking their selves right now. We'll have to see how it turns out for them.

Currently:
    Playing: WOW & GW

• GalopagoGalopago Member Posts: 18
    Ahh come on...if some McDonalds coffee is worth nearly 10m then that should be at least a 200m lawsuit image
  • RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253
    Wow inflation must be outta control where you are. McCafe esspresso is still under 3 bucks here image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• darkmandarkman Member UncommonPosts: 767

Microsoft definitely made the better move. They settled out of court and got stake in the company, I don't see any better outcome than that after being sued. Lot better than the mess Sony got themselves in. I don't know why they were so stubborn and this.

The whole issue though is strange, I mean, patent infringment on rumbling controllers? Odd.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Darkman,

Leeching money you dont deserve is incredibly wrong, but again Sony train raiders to do so on a daily basic.

Sony is pretty big and hardly consider Microsoft as a main rival(they are all about Honda and others Japanese rivalry), hurting Sony may be the Pearl Harbor of Microsoft.  image

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• MajikkuMajikku Member Posts: 10

The rumble feature has been around for a long time.  As much as I can remember, rumbling came out to consoles in different ways.  There was this one rumble pack that you wore like a backpack.  It would shake when big shocks affected the gameplay.  Other than that, the most I can remember is Nintendo 64's rumble pack in '96.

I never knew of any rumble controllers by immersion during the 90s.  So it's kinda weird.  If any, Immersion was probably just waiting for Sony to rake in the cash, so they could later on sue them for much much more.

As far as I've read, Microsoft licensed their rumble feature with Immersion back in July....  I wonder what happened to Nintendo.

• Dantes77Dantes77 Member Posts: 106

*sigh* guys please understand. The people arent suing them because of the idea for a rumble pack its the technology behind the one they have in the controllers itself that was stolen.

One thing i dont understand is why sony didnt just design one themselves instead of steal the patent from someone else.

• paradymeparadyme Member Posts: 238

Originally posted by Dantes77
    *sigh* guys please understand. The people arent suing them because of the idea for a rumble pack its the technology behind the one they have in the controllers itself that was stolen.
    One thing i dont understand is why sony didnt just design one themselves instead of steal the patent from someone else.

Since the rumble feature has been around for 10+ years now i'm sure its been tested exsaustivly and found the most effective at making that controller giggle. Hmmmm wonder what company Immersion will sue next that has products that ummmm...vibrate.