Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Demon's Souls

SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I have not played any MMO's now for ages after constantly going back and forth with WoW.

Anyway back on my PS3, Demon's Souls was released on the PS3 in the EU this week and i am having the most fun i have had in any game for ages with this, i would go as far as saying its the best RPG that i have played on any console this generation.

The only thing i think it lacks is the ability to specify who you want to play with, by not including the ability to invite friends to your game. Other than that i am loving everything about it, the Co-op play is fun and rewarding for everyone involved and the PvP is great fun too although i have not been invaded too many times yet.

Is anyone else playing this game? What do you think of it?

Comments

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

It is one of the best PS3 titles out there. The whole world invasion thing is amazing while also being able to see how others have died is an added bonus. Someone quickly make this into an MMORPG!

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

The combat system reminds me of FFXIV.

So the combat system must be boring and dull.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by Hyanmen

The combat system reminds me of FFXIV.

So the combat system must be boring and dull.

the combat is more based off the monster hunter games.

Demon's souls itself could hardly be considered an rpg. All i've done in the game is run dungeon after dungeon, i havent seen anything really related to the storyline, except monsters roaming around .... dungeons. I couldnt find any gear to upgrade my character, and its been awhile, but are there levels? I dont remember any, but like i said its been awhile. The combat is very similar to monster hunter, a game that i really enjoy, mainly because of the combat and the fact that there is actual character progression. I never understood the apeal of demon's souls.....

and how did it just come out this week in the EU? It's been out for like a year now

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

D Souls has level progression a lot like Devil May Cry. You collect glowy souls after a kill and use them like a pool of XP that you can choose to pump into a range of skillsets.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Originally posted by GTwander

D Souls has level progression a lot like Devil May Cry. You collect glowy souls after a kill and use them like a pool of XP that you can choose to pump into a range of skillsets.

Does lvling turn into a grind then? Also since i havent played devil may cry, is the system pretty much like god of war with the red orbs?

• RagnarionRagnarion Member Posts: 3

I felt it was more like an old skool 8 bit nintendo game action/adventure. Trail and error gameplay, unforgiving enemies, 0% handholding and a japanese vision of western fantasy setting. Quite unique and worth the import for me. Theres various stages with multiple levels and bosses. You can choose to go back to them and grind enemies, upgrade weapons etc. Though Its definatly not as deep as a standard rpg.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

Originally posted by tvalentine

the combat is more based off the monster hunter games.

Demon's souls itself could hardly be considered an rpg. All i've done in the game is run dungeon after dungeon, i havent seen anything really related to the storyline, except monsters roaming around .... dungeons. I couldnt find any gear to upgrade my character, and its been awhile, but are there levels? I dont remember any, but like i said its been awhile. The combat is very similar to monster hunter, a game that i really enjoy, mainly because of the combat and the fact that there is actual character progression. I never understood the apeal of demon's souls.....

and how did it just come out this week in the EU? It's been out for like a year now

Yes, Demon's Souls has level progression, you collect souls and level your character with the Maiden in Black.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/stats

Yes, Demon's Souls has gear progression, you collect and upgrade weapons with items and souls, you can even ask for a NPC to craft a new weapon to you with old weapons, boss souls and special weapons combinations. Every different weapon you use will change the gameplay.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/weapons

You can level up and get new skills, the class system in this game is totally open.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/classes

Yes, there is a storyline and all characters that you meet in this game have a story and background, you just need to talk with them, the storyline is in every detail in this game, but the way you learn about characters and the story is not similar to common western and eastern RPGs.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/npcs

I really don't understand how you have so many wrong conclusions about Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls- Best RPG game of 2009 by Gamespot  http://www.gamespot.com/best-of/genre-awards/index.html?page=8

Demon's Souls- Best RPG game of 2009 by Gametrailers http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-role-playing-gt-goty/60211

Gamespot -Game of the Year-2009  http://www.gamespot.com/best-of/game-of-the-year/index.html?page=2

• Cranks08Cranks08 Member Posts: 3

The game is pretty damn hard. Made me rage quit a couple of times like.

• GiosyncGiosync Member Posts: 108

I heard that game was stupidly hard.

I'm free on Friday.

• Cranks08Cranks08 Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Giosync

I heard that game was stupidly hard.

It pretty much is but it can be so damn amusing lol

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

I am having a blast in Demon's Souls. Wait til you get to see the bloodstains from a boss named Penetrator. Hilarity ensues.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

The mulitplayer aspect of the game sounds really cool, but the difficulty turns me away.  Take the difficulty away, and I'm not sure this game has much else to stand on.

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

Originally posted by SuperXero89

The mulitplayer aspect of the game sounds really cool, but the difficulty turns me away.  Take the difficulty away, and I'm not sure this game has much else to stand on.

Thing is - this game accomplished the rare ability to be hard, but not unfair. Most 'hard' games are hard because it isnt fair in some way. This game there is always a pattern to your opponent's behavior but you need to react quickly.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by gameguy369

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Thing is - this game accomplished the rare ability to be hard, but not unfair. Most 'hard' games are hard because it isnt fair in some way. This game there is always a pattern to your opponent's behavior but you need to react quickly.

I freely admit to simply being a carebear.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

You can easily tiptoe through an entire level in this game or you can blitz through it increasing the risk of getting your ass kicked. there is truly only 1 realm thats an omfg are you kidding me hard. The rest of the game is more of a pay the price for making the wrong move type of play. Which is totally awesome and fine with me because this is one of my most favorite games of all time.

I was probably invaded over a hundred times and just about each and every time i was either in the middle of something or about to do something important. Then PAOW! a surge of adrenaline just about every time as i had to hurry up and kill these guys i was currently engaged with, or hurry and buff up, or find a perfect spot to ambush the invader when he least expects it. Some fights could last for up to 20 mins as you circle each other bleeding out, poisoned and mentally drained. Then once you realize your oppenent is feeling the same way you take a deep breath and attack with full force.

obviously you can choose not to be invaded by playing offline but then you obviously could not play in co-op. So other than the game with its undeniable hard points. It can be as difficult as you make it.

• anjealous82anjealous82 Member UncommonPosts: 123

Do not make this into an mmo. I like this game. If this were to happen it just means another good game down the drain.

• SlyGamer79SlyGamer79 Member Posts: 278

maybe i'm the only one that thought this game kinda sucked only because of how hard it seemed and when you die you lose your money/xp and everything respawns so ya gotta kill it all over again i played it all day yesterday and was just still stuck on the castle area. like i said maybe i'm alone thinking how incredibly hard it was lol

PSN-SlyFox5679
    Xfire-Slyfox5679
    raptr-slygamer1979

• KAIxDEATHKAIxDEATH Member Posts: 18

The game was not hard at all. It just required a bit of time to beat some bosses. Also the game is 50x harder if you dont have soul arrow.

• handheldhandheld Member UncommonPosts: 120

Originally posted by KAIxDEATH

The game was not hard at all. It just required a bit of time to beat some bosses. Also the game is 50x harder if you dont have soul arrow.

This game is honestly not hard. if you die in this game its because you made a mistake not because the game is unfair however if you dont know what your doing or charging in then even the weakest enemies can kill you in a few hits.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Yes this is an awesome RPG worthy of the awards it has won. The combat is very fun. I'm mostly a PC gamer though so I'm  pretty bad with a controller. Personally I couldn't bear the harsh death penalty. I wish it at least had the option of checkpoint saves.

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

This game was ridiculously hard.

The biggest problem I had was that the difficulty forces you to replay the same freakin hallways and enemies over and over and over. When you die you go back to the last checkpoint which seemed pretty far back considering the difficulty level. 

On  a positive note, the graphics were excellent and the idea of seeing into other people's gameplay (how they died, etc) was very original. I just couldn't take the difficulty and repetitive feel of it. I got really bored so I traded it in.

Marcus

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Very fun game, I love the feeling of the game that everything can and will kill you :P

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by marcuslm

The biggest problem I had was that the difficulty forces you to replay the same freakin hallways and enemies over and over and over. When you die you go back to the last checkpoint which seemed pretty far back considering the difficulty level. 

On  a positive note, the graphics were excellent and the idea of seeing into other people's gameplay (how they died, etc) was very original. I just couldn't take the difficulty and repetitive feel of it. I got really bored so I traded it in.

Marcus

Marcus - you are right it sends you back to the beginning of the level when you die. I'm glad I rented it instead of buying but if they patched in check points I'd buy it in a heart beat.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Not a game for candy asses.

I like reading player's tips as you go through the game. Some real funny people out there, and a lot of whiny bitches.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• handheldhandheld Member UncommonPosts: 120

Originally posted by marcuslm

Marcus

This game was honestly not very hard it simply required patience and thinking rather than charging and fighting its the perfect example of a game where tactics instead of simply charging in takes the lead role. I was able to beat every boss the first time by simply watching how they move and learning the patterns. If your careful then the game becomes much more rewarding.