Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - A Roleplay Community?

Hello All.

Like those of you who view this part of MMORPG.com I am a Roleplayer. (At times at least, it's kind of lost it's shine for me recently) And I love telling a good story. The whole reason I got into Roleplaying games and RP'ing for myself on MMO's was down to the Final Fantasy franchise. I started at the lowest of the low, Rp'ing in (Dare I say it) Habbo Hotel. Playing in FFVIII Garden style RP's, also at this time I was Forum RP'ing. (I was admittedly quite young at the time.) Then onto WoW (where I had my best RP experience I guess. Don't get me wrong, WoW is always going to hold fond memories for me, and I won't bash it, but recently the community in which I used to RP has been going so long, they're running out of things to RP, Marriages, Divorces, Sitting around and talking, it's all a bit mundane for me, it lost the action for me, I need fresh new people and environments.)

I have since tried every MMO under the sun, (except for the critically acclaimed Ultima for RP'ers) and not found anything that really sparked my interest, Aion came close, but lost me with it's unfriendliness toward RP'ers on European servers. Now I didn't exactly 'Like' Final Fantasy XI. But I love the Franchise. I think what would have made it for me would have been playing through with friends, in an RP style. That total disintergration from real life you know. So let me get to my question and point at hand.

I've been trawling through the new FFXIV website this morning, making the rounds and checking out what was new. And to be fair, I think it looks amazing, all that's there, the ability to switch just by changing weapon or tool. To have that in game economy. I think it sets up wonderfully for RP. As an EU player I know we tend to have less Rp'ers moving from WoW and such games. But as was suggested to me with Aion, to move my account to an american server. I'd like to know,...

1. What the european RP'er outlook is on this game?

2. Even if it took you longer to Level your skills etc. Would you like to RP through the game in it's entirity. Spending time to make every little boss battle mean something to your group, much like it would in a Final Fantasy game, and to make this adventure something that encompassed you and the others involved. To really build those in game relationships as if the game were real? (example: Saving another player from an area, or an opposing faction)

3. Do you think they'll encompass nice and easy to use RP functions, much like WoW's /em function, which is missing from quiet a few MMo's? (Unless it is there and I just can't find it, I really like the ability to just make your actions seperate from dialogue.)

4. As this game is multi-lingual, does anyone know if RP'ers from around the world will be able to come together on whatever server and RP together as the largest possible community involved and still understand one another? (i've read that the game will have this tool, to which I'm quite excited about, but I'd like to know if I'm getting the Jist of it correctly)

5. As A bit of fun, What kind of Character would you like to play? ^^

I hope my post isn't repitition of something someone else has already posted. If so feel free to delete my post and throw me in the direction of their post. ^^ Much love to the MMORPG community, and hope people can help me out.

Comments

• DohnovahnDohnovahn Member Posts: 25

I to am a roleplayer

I began my mmo roleplaying career in FFXI online, it was simple stuff like creating a character personality and backstory for my character, and involving myself in the lore or the actual game.  Me and my characters's brother Lyce we knights of Altana which was the deity of FFXI we would recruit and the place of worship and started an actual in game order for our knights and spent alot of free time protecting the player of the game. I have to say role playing definatly brought the game up to a whole new level about its what i would like to call literal gameplay.  

The Paladin