Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just how long has this game been in development?

Comments

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

CCP had been through plenty of interviews to actually discuss and publicize Eve, as for screenshots it's a piss poor way of showing off the game, but at least it was something. Again, CoS has not updated their screenshots to show off actual development in the game. Theirs just incredibly old environmental shots, and a holiday set of character models standing in a line. Again, work that can be done in literally a few hours. I'm almost tempted to reproduce some of their screenshots with NWN2 just for lol's sake.

Same with Earthrise, the developers have actually gone out attended interviews and have serious discussions about the game with serious reviewers well within a year of development apparently if it was announced in 2005.

Not to mention their is actual credibility in the development teams you mentioned because their is actual information about them out on the web. Again, MMO Magic has zero info about themselves beyond the fact theirs some dudes somewhere making the game.

MMO Magic has kept people updated on this site.  Perhaps that is not the method you would prefer to be updated by, but again it's their company.   I am not a follower of the title so I am not out seeking more information.  However, I am well aware of the decent job this developer has done with answering any questions posted on this site.  If you did not basically accuse their company of being a sham, perhaps you would have been more satisfied with the response. 

Steam: Neph

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

This is probably over reaching on my part and definitely unsolicited but I would have put Jatar's post a different way had it been me;

Hello Wolfenpride, thank you for your interest in our game!

As an FYI We are an independant software developer, not a publisher and in truth we have been completely up front from day one about the game.  From the beginning we told people that we were in the very early stages of game development, and we've done everything we can to keep people informed as to the development progress.  The amount of time it takes to make an MMO lilke Citadel of Sorcery is not an exact science, nor is it something we would hurry as we want to make the best game possible for our players.

We pride ourselves in our work and will release the game when we feel it meets our high standards. As we are an independent company we tend to keep our financing on a need to know basis.

To clear up any confusion the company making CoS is MMO Magic, Inc.

As for your 'vaporware' comment, I can see where this is always a concern when a new project is announced. Hopefully once we have made suitable progress we can release enough info to satisfy all of our possible players.

It's our goal and what we are striving for.

Please watch our forums as well as this section for any pertinant information and again, thank you for inquring!

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

The OP could have phrased his original post as:

Hey makers of CoS:

I heard about your game 2-4 years ago and I was wondering why it is not out yet?  When is beta testing or any other testing going to happen?

I am so interested I've been looking for information everywhere, but I can't find any.  Can you direct me anywhere besides the CoS site where I can find more info?  Or perhaps you could tell me when you are setting up official forums or releasing gameplay videos?

I am concerned that this game I've been interested in for so long will never be released, because this has happened with other titles in the MMO genre.  Thanks.

I don't even care about this game, but if someone addressed a post to my company as the OP did, I'd be offended and at least slightly rude with him too.  Especially considering that we are talking about an indie development team personally responding to posts.  Not a massive company's PR team responding with cut and paste precalculated lines of text that really mean nothing.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Nephaerius

Hey makers of CoS:

I heard about your game 2-4 years ago and I was wondering why it is not out yet?  When is beta testing or any other testing going to happen?

I am so interested I've been looking for information everywhere, but I can't find any.  Can you direct me anywhere besides the CoS site where I can find more info?  Or perhaps you could tell me when you are setting up official forums or releasing gameplay videos?

I am concerned that this game I've been interested in for so long will never be released, because this has happened with other titles in the MMO genre.  Thanks.

Yup, the courtesy door does tend to swing both ways. image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

They can take as long as they want to complete the game, the problem is they've shown nothing of what they've done in all this time, if anything been done at all.

but unless you are an investor, why does it matter?

I'm not 100% clear on what it takes to get a game listed on this site but as long as they have met the requirements it seems that these forums are here to discuss things as they come up.

They are not compelled to list their funding to anyone. Heck, one of the owners of the company might be spectacularly rich and that is how they are funded.

If anything (and my opinion) they probably shouldn't have let their game be known at all because at some point someone is going to say "hey, where is it".

I can only imagine that they made the game known so that at times they could discuss things here and there.

Other than keeping the game in the public eye for marketing purposes (which it seems they are just not there yet) all they have to do is to chug along. Perhaps bringing ideas to the gaming public from time to time to get opinions.

And if for some horrible reason they never finish the game then that's that. let's hope they do as we need more indie game devs finishing these things.

Now that you mention it, it doesn't take much to get listed on this site. Several of the games listed here, especially in the last big update they made a year ago or so added a bunch of games that had been shut down before the site knew about it, like Gates of Heaven (good game back in the day though).

Absolute Terror might not even legally be a game, though its listed here. :V

Beyond mmorpg.com, this game isn't mentioned anywhere else

I asked about funding not really expecting an answer, though the response Jatar gave just gives me shady ideas, or reminds me of a group of college graduates that aren't sure what they're doing. Theirs usually info on the founders/development team, the lack of that again, just seems shady and unprofessional.

If their really is a game, then take this thread as advice to get your team in shape Jatar, i've seen modders for Oblivion have a more professional level of interaction and development than what's going on with CoS.

• catmaykatecatmaykate Member Posts: 45

Wolfenpride is a know crybaby/troll/moron on these forums, just ignore him

"Yup, the courtesy door does tend to swing both ways. image"

lol definitely does.  If it was my original post I would've posted it differently and if I was the company rep I'd probably post differently too.

Hey makers of CoS:

I don't even care about this game, but if someone addressed a post to my company as the OP did, I'd be offended and at least slightly rude with him too.  Especially considering that we are talking about an indie development team personally responding to posts.  Not a massive company's PR team responding with cut and paste precalculated lines of text that really mean nothing.

Oh I know I could've been polite about it, but i'm not going to kiss developer ass when they've done nothing. Plus asshatery is practically standard on discussion forums, it's nice to get bad vibes out after work  :P

All the more reason CoS needs to set up their own forums with their own rules for posting I say.

Either way you ask it though, they clearly don't have an answer.

CCP had been through plenty of interviews to actually discuss and publicize Eve, as for screenshots it's a piss poor way of showing off the game, but at least it was something. Again, CoS has not updated their screenshots to show off actual development in the game. Theirs just incredibly old environmental shots, and a holiday set of character models standing in a line. Again, work that can be done in literally a few hours. I'm almost tempted to reproduce some of their screenshots with NWN2 just for lol's sake.

Same with Earthrise, the developers have actually gone out attended interviews and have serious discussions about the game with serious reviewers well within a year of development apparently if it was announced in 2005.

Not to mention their is actual credibility in the development teams you mentioned because their is actual information about them out on the web. Again, MMO Magic has zero info about themselves beyond the fact theirs some dudes somewhere making the game.

MMO Magic has kept people updated on this site.  Perhaps that is not the method you would prefer to be updated by, but again it's their company.   I am not a follower of the title so I am not out seeking more information.  However, I am well aware of the decent job this developer has done with answering any questions posted on this site.  If you did not basically accuse their company of being a sham, perhaps you would have been more satisfied with the response. 

And again, I ask why is a company using a general gaming discussion forum for updates on their game? If they were modders thats normal, but they're trying to make a game supposedly.

How seriously can you take responses from a seemingly normal user who just calls himself a mod/rep. for the game? He has zero credibility backing him, and this method of delievering news about the game is once again, unprofessional and lame.

• BookkeeperBookkeeper Member Posts: 60

MMO Magic has not used MMORPG for updates to their game.  I searched and nowhere have I found such a post.  They answer user questions about their game, for which I thank them.  The updates of which you speak are copied here by forum users FROM the developer's web site. 

As for this email address for MMO Magic that you can't seem to find on their site and keep demanding, it took me a whole sixty seconds to locate.  The incredibly difficult to find address (sarcasm intended) can be found simply by going to www.mmomagic.com, then to About MMO Magic, and then go to the bottom of the page.  In case you still can't seem to find it, here you go:  [email protected]

Jeez, wake up.

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

Oh I know I could've been polite about it, but i'm not going to kiss developer ass when they've done nothing. Plus asshatery is practically standard on discussion forums, it's nice to get bad vibes out after work  :P

All the more reason CoS needs to set up their own forums with their own rules for posting I say.

Why waste resources on something you don't need at this time? Sure hosting a forum doesn't cost that much, but you'll need staff to watch it. As game is still in develop without an alpha or beta how do unpaid volunteers know what the game is about? So it makes perfect sense to use a forum like MMORPG.com to gather your first fanboys and then when the devs have actually something they want to share, they will install their own forums.

Hypes only generate disappointed fanboys and attract trolls. I'm really looking forward to a game that is actually playable in alpha/beta. So let them work on something and be postively surprised with the result.

Ahh here we go, hardly credible since it's not a direct source but it's better than nothing

http://www.polycount.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-64238.html

Rather strange to be using skype-ish form of communicating between employees, but would explain why they don't have a headquarters or telephone number. Apparently these guys had just as much trouble getting basic contact info as much as i am.

And you wonder why i'm suspicious. :V

also yes I saw that page and that doesn't appear to be an email, rather a link right back to the page i took to get to that one.

Originally posted by Khealler

Why waste resources on something you don't need at this time? Sure hosting a forum doesn't cost that much, but you'll need staff to watch it. As game is still in develop without an alpha or beta how do unpaid volunteers know what the game is about? So it makes perfect sense to use a forum like MMORPG.com to gather your first fanboys and then when the devs have actually something they want to share, they will install their own forums.

Hypes only generate disappointed fanboys and attract trolls. I'm really looking forward to a game that is actually playable in alpha/beta. So let them work on something and be postively surprised with the result.

Again, its about mantaining a professional form of getting news about the game out, and yes even indie developers manage to have one, they almost never require that much moderation seeing as how they've only got the attention of a small crowd.

If jatar has time to lurk and post on this site as much as he does, i'm sure he could just as easily do it on their own, and be taken a little more seriously than here.

Again, your opinion about what a developer should be doing is utterly irrelevant.  You are nobody.

Originally posted by Bookkeeper

Again, your opinion about what a developer should be doing is utterly irrelevant.  You are nobody.

You've obviously got nothing productive to add to this with a post like this.

• TeucriTeucri Member Posts: 38

No matter how much you complain and argue about this nothing will change, they will still not change what their doing just because one person starts complaining about it.

Originally posted by Teucri

No matter how much you complain and argue about this nothing will change, they will still not change what their doing just because one person starts complaining about it.

My  point exactly.  The OPs complaints are irrelevant, the dev will keep right on making their game however they wish, and they certainly aren't going to listen to some rude forum troll.

Originally posted by Teucri

No doubt about it, but it makes for an interesting discussion, and I had hope originally I might get a sensible and perhaps enlightening answer to a few questions seeing as how Jatar claims to know whats going on behind the scenes.

Sadly i'm left with only more questions and deeper concerns. image

Concerns?  About what?  Here's a news flash, you haven't paid for anything, you have nothing to be concerned about.  You don't have to be here, so you are the one wasting your time, not the developer. 

Concerns?  About what?  Here's a news flash, you haven't paid for anything, you have nothing to be concerned about.  You don't have to be here, so you are the one wasting your time, not the developer. 

I can't look and ask questions and raise discussions about a game and it's current state?

Not even on a public forum?

Shame on me.

I can't look and ask questions and raise discussions about a game and it's current state?

Shame on me.

I totally agree with you, shame on you, for being rude.  Now you are trying to bring yourself off as some rational poster, when all you have done is be rude and attack.  You wanted a, how did you put it, 'sensible and perhaps enlightenend repsonse' to a rude attack?  Good luck, buddy.  Nobody is ever going to treat you with respect until you learn how to act like you deserve it.  I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

Shame on me.

I totally agree with you, shame on you, for being rude.  Now you are trying to bring yourself off as some rational poster, when all you have done is be rude and attack.  You wanted a, how did you put it, 'sensible and perhaps enlightenend repsonse' to a rude attack?  Good luck, buddy.  Nobody is ever going to treat you with respect until you learn how to act like you deserve it.  I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

You new to the internet? More than half of everything posted on this site is rude to begin with.

In fact lets analyze my OP, because I have that much free time:

I remember hearing about this game like 2-3 maybe 4 years ago, and it still hasn't come out? Not even some kind of beta/testing phases?

Simply stating how I know about this game, and my shock that they have shown no progress since the last time I checked here years ago.

Checked the site and googled around...no discussion forums, no gameplay trailers/teasers or anything beyond a few screenshots (that show absolutely nothing beyond environment) , just the "we're working on it we'll tell you more later."

Stating observations I made of their site, and my disappointment with it.

And where exactly are the dev's getting their money to continue production on this game? Have they not gone over budget by this point? Looking at the site I can't even figure out who these people are behind the game, which is ridiculously unprofessional.

A question that suddenly came to me, nosy yes, but just a question. I also state the fact that I cannot gather any info on the people behind the game just looking at their site, and my opinion that its rather unprofessional.

Sounds like vaporware to me, especially considering the number of mmo's that have been fully developed and released since this was even announced.

I state my conclusion and the fact that a notable amount of games have been developed and released even after this game was announced.

No, i'm not going to come here posting with any eagerness or respective tone for the game or it's developers, when after a little while of searching around and viewing this board I find absolutely no hints or proof that this game has gone anywhere, and that the company itself does not appear very serious about what it's doing.

Paint it anyway you want, you are rude by your own definiton.  No one will ever give you any respect when you act the fool.

Paint it anyway you want, you are rude by your own definiton.  No one will ever give you any respect when you act the fool.

Well when your ready to say something useful to the discussion you can get back to me on that.

Judging by the nature of your posts this entire thread, I won't hold my breath. image

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

Well when your ready to say something useful to the discussion you can get back to me on that.

Judging by the nature of your posts this entire thread, I won't hold my breath. image

I've never seen someone so upset and personally offended by the inability to spend his money on something. 

Truly this is pathethic, the fact that you feel the need to deface and defame the developer(s) of said company is really painting you as an individual, one that clearly has no place in this game.