Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MxO Underachieving its Expectations?

I checked out the Matrix site today (no Im not buying it, or planning to, from the Beta that was less then enjoyable), and noticed that they are only using like 7 of 20 servers, (not just down for the day, but completely empty and locked). That leads me to believe they are underachieving their anticipated player goals.

Anyone have any inside information? Like have they said anything about this, etc?

Comments

• HebrewBombHebrewBomb Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by Pasomatt

I checked out the Matrix site today (no Im not buying it, or planning to, from the Beta that was less then enjoyable), and noticed that they are only using like 7 of 20 servers, (not just down for the day, but completely empty and locked). That leads me to believe they are underachieving their anticipated player goals.
    Anyone have any inside information? Like have they said anything about this, etc?

I guess Neo Multiples refuse to wake up !

Or... Merovingians actually turn out to be the Visigoth who refuse to rule !

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by Pasomatt
    I checked out the Matrix site today (no Im not buying it, or planning to, from the Beta that was less then enjoyable), and noticed that they are only using like 7 of 20 servers, (not just down for the day, but completely empty and locked). That leads me to believe they are underachieving their anticipated player goals.Anyone have any inside information? Like have they said anything about this, etc?

The town I live in has one EB Games (though there are plenty of them in towns just 10 miles north or south). They had zero preorders for the game...in fact, they weren't even carrying the strategy guide which they seem to always have.

I expect the game is going to cater to the niche. I have plenty of thoughts on that, but I'm going to hold off on judgements until I've had more time to play it.

• sygmassygmas Member Posts: 949

SEGA had an initial distribution issue getting the boxes on shelves so the game actually really launched a bit later for many people. Many servers have opened, also MXO servers hold a lot more than normal servers on MMOs would. We did a majority of our stress testing with 1 or 2 servers in beta. So youre talking 40000+ people split over 2 servers possibly, I guess they hold a lot. Either way, they're all doing pretty healthy now.

Sales might jump or drop depending on how the press perceives the game. We'll see -- but im okay, I play on the unofficial RP server and I enjoy my community.

• aaddamaaddam Member Posts: 83

The servers that are not up are the servers for when the game comes out in different parts of the world, from what i have read they are doing a SOE style to the servers rather than a Doac style, IE anyone from anywere can log on any server rather than only being able to play on your part of the worlds servers.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Originally posted by aaddam

The servers that are not up are the servers for when the game comes out in different parts of the world, from what i have read they are doing a SOE style to the servers rather than a Doac style, IE anyone from anywere can log on any server rather than only being able to play on your part of the worlds servers.

I disagree with that assessement.  It may be true of how they are going to roll out the servers, however DAOC does allow anyone to log on to the servers at anytime they want.  DAOC in Europe is handled by a different company.  Mythic provides them the game for a fee and that company does the rest.  I know many EU players that play on the Mythic owned/operated servers.

As for why the game only has 7 out of 20?  There are a lot of reasons.  It is Sci-Fi which always gets less.  It is taking a while to get the game out in many areas.  But of course the #1 Reason is . . . .

The Matrix 2 & 3.  They waited too long to do this game.  The Matrix is not that popular anymore and for most people and critics the last two movies were horrible.  The game might be good, but given that the 3rd movie was one of the worst movies ever made I am not going to waste my money playing a game that picks up where that POS left off.  I think many other people will stay away for the same reason. 

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

I agree with Julian

In fact it beggers beleif that they missed the opportunity to sync it all up with the last movie. I guess this was how they would have wanted it but clearly it didnt work out that way.

Difficult to see now how they will promote it in a cost effective way.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• jackman11118jackman11118 Member Posts: 399

why would we need 20 servers? sorry, its not WoW. MxO has a lot of players in a few servers to make them big. enumerator is almost always on heavy load except for in the morning on like a tuesday when nobody ever plays.  Method is also like this.

I would love to see them promote it in a good way to get more players though, that would rock. the game owns and the more people that play it the better it becomes.

• TigerReiTigerRei Member UncommonPosts: 141

Actually had people even paid attention, there were 6 original servers. Three were open for beta. When they went live, they opened up the rest, 6. The only reason more servers were added and locked was simply because they are expecting a large influx of people after the preorder live, and it was there so if the servers all got overloaded, they could open up more.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Someone told me you fight less well when you are harmed(like whitewolf systems maybe?).

Althought it is realistic and would prolly appeal to me personnally(I find it FUN myself, not realistic ehehe), that person was pretty unhappy about that.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren