Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Flaws of Runescape

13»

Comments

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359
    Originally posted by bobfish

Why don't you just play Earth Eternal, it's not a kids MMO and offers more than RS.

I can;t see myself going from a great game like Guild Wars to a  "family friendly " mmo where you can run around pretending to be furry animals and frogs.. NO THANKS.

Other than Guild Wars at the moment , I like FPS games, and strategy based games.

What you consider a " kids game" and what I consider a " kids game" appears to be two entirely differnt things.

www.youtube.com/watch

• DragonsBeRedDragonsBeRed Member Posts: 5

Completely agree with everything. Killing the Old Wilderness was the single most stupid thing Jagex could've done to RS. It WAS the best PvP area hands down, out of any MMO out there. Finallly! Somebody else realizes their Useless Forums!!

I played runscape ever since it was Classic 2-and-a-half D style back in 01, and even THEN they didnt go near their suggestion forum. I suggested things from mounts (Which they tell you to NEVER suggest now-Along with all the other good ideas) to player owned houses and buyable(and USEFUL) pets. At one point I completely outlined a potential 2 and a half page non class specific skill tree which was promptly deleted with that famous "Serious...Jagex...blaa...blaa" line they love to use.

RWTers and Bots? Dont even want to get into that.....

Final verdict? Runescape went down the tubes with the end of the old wilderness and the beginning of the dumb skills. (I.E. Summoning, Farming...).

At least there's a good community! Oh wait.....-_-

Big Red Dragons. Doesnt get much better than that.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by DragonsBeRed

Completely agree with everything. Killing the Old Wilderness was the single most stupid thing Jagex could've done to RS. It WAS the best PvP area hands down, out of any MMO out there. Finallly! Somebody else realizes their Useless Forums!!
    I played runscape ever since it was Classic 2-and-a-half D style back in 01, and even THEN they didnt go near their suggestion forum. I suggested things from mounts (Which they tell you to NEVER suggest now-Along with all the other good ideas) to player owned houses and buyable(and USEFUL) pets. At one point I completely outlined a potential 2 and a half page non class specific skill tree which was promptly deleted with that famous "Serious...Jagex...blaa...blaa" line they love to use.

Final verdict? Runescape went down the tubes with the end of the old wilderness and the beginning of the dumb skills. (I.E. Summoning, Farming...).

While you can fault Jagex for a whole lot of things, you have to be crazy to say they don't respond to user suggestions. While they may never have responded in the forums to your particular suggestions (or perhaps even deleted suggestions that the specific forum FAQ said would be deleted if posted, in order to keep the forum uncluttered), they make changes to Runescape in response to user feedback all the time.

And while I understand that PKers miss the old wilderness and full loot PKing, Jagex had a clear and understandable reason for getting rid of it: Real World Traders. RWT and botting is largely gone from Runescape nowadays. Or at least is was when I stopped playing it within the last year.

And skills like Summoning and Farming were bad? Come on, they were in response to user suggestions (which you claim they ignore) and were incredibly useful. I think they were actually great additions (especially if you wanted herbs for herblore and didn't want to kill mobs day in and day out for 'em), and integrate well into the existing skills.

Runescape's shortcomings are legion: graphics, gameplay, the unequaled grind, the huge population of low-lives, the cheating culture, the lack of group/community, amongst others. But your criticisms are either reflective of a lack of understanding or flat out false.

Originally posted by PhelimReagh

Originally posted by DragonsBeRed

While you can fault Jagex for a whole lot of things, you have to be crazy to say they don't respond to user suggestions. While they may never have responded in the forums to your particular suggestions (or perhaps even deleted suggestions that the specific forum FAQ said would be deleted if posted, in order to keep the forum uncluttered), they make changes to Runescape in response to user feedback all the time.

And while I understand that PKers miss the old wilderness and full loot PKing, Jagex had a clear and understandable reason for getting rid of it: Real World Traders. RWT and botting is largely gone from Runescape nowadays. Or at least is was when I stopped playing it within the last year.

And skills like Summoning and Farming were bad? Come on, they were in response to user suggestions (which you claim they ignore) and were incredibly useful. I think they were actually great additions (especially if you wanted herbs for herblore and didn't want to kill mobs day in and day out for 'em), and integrate well into the existing skills.

Runescape's shortcomings are legion: graphics, gameplay, the unequaled grind, the huge population of low-lives, the cheating culture, the lack of group/community, amongst others. But your criticisms are either reflective of a lack of understanding or flat out false.

I am not sure where you have been over the past decade that Jagex has worked on Runescape, but while I was there  they DID NOT respond to player suggestions.  For years, players asked for good 99 stat items..  something that could make you chop wood faster, stop burning manta rays to mine faster, but what did they get instead? A piece of crap emote cape.

In fact, their response to most everything that the core player base requested was " we do not feel that is for Runescape" . we suggested engineering, ship battles,  new armor types.. but instead they  chose to cater to "turnover" and focus on making their game a Junior mmo rather than try to work with  keeping their core player base. I definately disagree with you on "Jagex listens to their players" stance. I have seen this for too many years from them to feel otherwise.

Jagex's removal of the wilderness and trade was the worst possible method to combat RWT ( or RMT as every other game has called it for many years) and it was not even effective. Sellers just have acc training services, sell full loaded accounts, so you just have higher level bots, it did not solve anything, and ruined the gameplay. Programs access their client in a different manner than regular players, so they have solutions that could have been implemented to stop botting that had no effect on gameplay at all. Many websites ban IP addresses, this is somethng that could be easily implemented with a HD Ip detection tool that loads at start of game. You refuse the HD detection tool, and you don;t play. Simple as that. This would stop ISP IP confusion issues, and make sure they are banning the HD's not the ISP IP.

You see, yes maybe naive 12 yr olds may fall for this nonsense about using this to combat RMT as an actual solution, but the rest of the gaming  world sees this as a joke. Many games have combatted  3rd party RMT in better ways than Jagex chose, though what Jagex chose was within their " new framework" which was taking the game in a direction to attract young children. Young children didn;t like the wilderness because they lost all their stuff and cried to mommy. Young children were upset because they chose to give their stuff away so they had to prevent everyone else from being able to do so to appease them.  This was the direction they chose and all of this nonsense with the trade and wilderness fell into the master plan of having a completely child friendly babysitting service by the second to  third quarter of 2009.

Farming and summoning were bad, when the players had been asking for engineering and ship building wars instead. Summoning is like having a pokemon BS, not even decent summoning like you get from playing a necromancer where you can summon  multiple evil demons to attack your opponents in pvp like you can do on Guild wars. No instead they went the cute pokemon route aimed at young children. Lets go collect some pets.. lmao...

Now I agree with what you stated about their other shortcomings, but I do strongly disagree with your assestment of the other information as being false. They repeatedly throughout the years provided some of the worst customer service I have ever dealt with, were rude and treated players and their ideas poorly, and disregarded their core player base in favor of creating a game that was a " turnstall" or in their own words: 

"In the Quarter 2 or 3 of 2009, the Parental Controls dashboard will be launched. This provides parents with the means to set how often and how long their children can play Runescape, set various chat settings and have various controls over their children's Friends List – such as the ability to add friends with or without parental approval.

Just as MUDs were the precursors to MMORPGs, Henrique described Runscape as a Junior MMORPG. A great training ground for other MMORPGs."

www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/37/feature/2065

A Junior MMO, a training ground for other mmos" does that sound like a company that plans on keeping their players? or plans on sending them elsewhere instead? There is a difference between focusing on your player base, and focusing on getting kids who make for poor community in the door and ignoring your core player base's requests.

• Croady4Croady4 Member Posts: 18

personally i think runescape is a good game i enjoy the wide range of skills but they have the same weapons i would have made a variety not just bronze iron steel so on to dragon and barrows make some new weapons there are only a select few that are 1 of a kind like the dark bow one of a kind no other double shooting bow so runescape overall a alright game not worth wasting most of your day on it tho

Live Life With FREEWILL!!!!!
    Live Life With FREEWILL!!!!!

• Jalice888Jalice888 Member CommonPosts: 113

Have you all heard about the 'Load Of Dung' that dumb Jagex has now added to stuff up Runescape more than ever before?

Since now it only takes 5k of experience to go to  http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/forums.ws everyone can now go and protest how Jagex  just want to make money without any consideration to the players.

"Dungeoneering' is a new Skill (joke) which vertually everyone calls a minigame instead. What it really is, another of their games that was a failure (probably Mechscape) that was full of Runescape skills, but being useless it got shoved into Runescape instead and now there is a game within this game and it ruins all purpose of playing Runescape. Imagine how few actually managed 99s compared to how many started the game of Runescape and now Dung is a lvl120 skill needing 104m experience which is the equivalent of 8+ lvl99 skills added together, worse still there's no benefit from Tears or Penguins. Added to this it is fighting all the way so lvl3 skillers are prevented here, a lvl50 can run ahead of real players and they kill weak things to get most of the experience instead of the high lvl player protecting them while collecting valuable items.

Omg I can't be bothered wasting more time thinking about the worst scam Jagex have ever done to our game we used to enjoy!

If you have the time please go to Runescape Forums to tell them how big a nuubs they are, if their forums are over-run with complaints they may get forced to finally remove a mess from a half-pie game now!

Originally posted by Jalice888

Have you all heard about the 'Load Of Dung' that dumb Jagex has now added to stuff up Runescape more than ever before?

Since now it only takes 5k of experience to go to  http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/forums.ws everyone can now go and protest how Jagex  just want to make money without any consideration to the players.

"Dungeoneering' is a new Skill (joke) which vertually everyone calls a minigame instead. What it really is, another of their games that was a failure (probably Mechscape) that was full of Runescape skills, but being useless it got shoved into Runescape instead and now there is a game within this game and it ruins all purpose of playing Runescape. Imagine how few actually managed 99s compared to how many started the game of Runescape and now Dung is a lvl120 skill needing 104m experience which is the equivalent of 8+ lvl99 skills added together, worse still there's no benefit from Tears or Penguins. Added to this it is fighting all the way so lvl3 skillers are prevented here, a lvl50 can run ahead of real players and they kill weak things to get most of the experience instead of the high lvl player protecting them while collecting valuable items.

Omg I can't be bothered wasting more time thinking about the worst scam Jagex have ever done to our game we used to enjoy!

If you have the time please go to Runescape Forums to tell them how big a nuubs they are, if their forums are over-run with complaints they may get forced to finally remove a mess from a half-pie game now!

LOL it doesn;t matter who can post in their forums, they still just delete any topics they don;t want people to know about.

They refuse to allow any of their own corporate site data to be posted on their own forums, they refuse to allow interviews with Jagex in the gaming world to be posted, they still refuse to allow any of their own players to receive any information about their game that they themselves do not place on there themselves, so what would be the point? It isn;t like they are suddenly going to start telling their players what they tell the rest of the gaming industry. LMAO!

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515

Originally posted by deviliscious

Originally posted by Jalice888

LOL it doesn;t matter who can post in their forums, they still just delete any topics they don;t want people to know about.

They refuse to allow any of their own corporate site data to be posted on their own forums, they refuse to allow interviews with Jagex in the gaming world to be posted, they still refuse to allow any of their own players to receive any information about their game that they themselves do not place on there themselves, so what would be the point? It isn;t like they are suddenly going to start telling their players what they tell the rest of the gaming industry. LMAO!

I remember seeing this video on youtube where a certain "dude" wins an rs video making competition and gets to tour the Jagex Studio in Cambridge.

Upon arrival at the studio, the "dude" pulled out his video cam and started recording. Andrew Gower then came out, his face covered with his hands, and told the dude to stop recording. A short, hilarious annotation followed.

The next video, where the "dude" visits some punk-ass theme park with Jagex staff, is the most intriguing. If I remember it right, the "dude" was trying to take a video of Mod Hector, but Hector turned around and disappeared.

This this some kind of paranoia? What are they ashamed of?

• Mr.HappyMr.Happy Member CommonPosts: 64

This game had its moments in the past. But in the present what are the moments that we can think of that are good?

The only ONE is that they add content on a regular basis even though MOST of it is lame, they still do it.

This game really DID have it's moments, but now its getting lamer by the days. Those above saying it's a good game are either too young and ignorant or enjoy Jagex ways of allowing the biggest cheats of any game.

Botters are no longer looked upon as a problem with the majhority of accounts on botting thus no-one actually playing. Consider over 100,000 online now but well over 80,000 of those false accounts botting and not even worth considering to be average - not actually playing means money wasted for a worthless account! image

This has the effect of meaning that 'High Scores' are to show who has the worst accounts as botters and how to laugh at them as totally ignorant cheat that probably would also scam or rob you in real life. Gone are the days of Zezima and players like that which used to do their own work. Lots of high level accounts have quit and started up a botter instead since they can do much more with them and set them to max certain levels to cheat in even PVP with like so many lvl45 to 60s that have 99mage or range and so often near max of both. The most botted skill now is agility as these accounts stated just before and many others need the fast ability high agility gives to almost everything - a good reason to quit a lvl138 acc without maxed agility.  Then of course there's world84 where i've never seen so many pixels in the same area before. This world84 is mainly for people in the Living Cavern below the dwarf mine just across from the cart rides. What makes it botter heaven is the odds with so many botters and quite a few of us real people too either mining coal & gold ores endlessly or fishing up a storm of cavefish & rocktails (rocktails heal highly aswell as putting "HP" above it's max too), it's very unusual for any of them to get hit by the lvl120 & 140 rocks since only those that stop in between or are late get attacked. There's also a lot other cheating bott ways and ess mining by botters is worse than ever before.image

The of course there's the climbing boots fiasco. Jagex let it slip out to their friends before it happened so they went and bought thousands of pairs to sell or high alch after the update changed all but the quest boots to 75k. The reason used was because of how pkers used them a lot as cheap and upped their stats well. Any dumby knows to fix that the stats should only work in the Trollheim area and never increase the price of them - there's billions to those cheats robbing real players yet again.

Anyone reading here should realise this game is the worst to let your kids play as it now teaches them how to behave badly and spoilt to hell image

• popcorn2199popcorn2199 Member Posts: 52

Which brings us to the question, why is it so popular? Well, its popular because its popular. So many people play it that you can normaly find a close friend on the game. It hard to do that on other games.

-popcorn2199

If you have a lot of bott account and you find others doing the same then Popcorn you could say that.

For the majority of people paying to play it is totally the opposite since botts do everything including the easy tutorial part aswell as everything else. This means most accounts online are multiple bott accounts that also help with the huge lagg thats back to it's worst again. Also very few accounts actually talk any more and with Auto-Talk botters imagine how few are real people.

For those not into botting and play honestly, add you input here;

Also go to my recent thread in MMORPG Pub discussion to let them know your worst game and developer. Due to the size with all the help sites I believe Runescape has made the worst mess of all.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3679126/thread/285493#3679126   image

• dartjatdartjat Member Posts: 7

Runescape does have flaws, actually, it has so many flaws that even most of my IRL friend quitted runescape, like c'mon!

What is the point to ruin your own fucking game JaGeX? I remember playing runescape 2 years ago when i was member, those were good times... now its bullshit

anyway, what i want to say is since the new CEO come, runescape has gone mad with useless, shitty updates and things that no one likes.

Taking an example, a little ammount of players enjoyed the HPX10 update, other people like most old-school players quitted.

~Dart

you may hate me, you may love me, but i will remain the same.

• BermannBermann Member Posts: 40

You know, like years ago when Jagex was just a small struggling company, such things were quite forgiveable. But it has been nine years! In all this time, they never even made an effort to improve their customer service.

Meanwhile, in other games they actually have good customer service and mechanisms in place for returning items. World of Warcraft, in particuler, has huge subscriber numbers yet they still investigate every account if it is hacked and restore lost items.

"Luke: Blizzard were great with the issue. I went through both the in-game ticketing system and their online support site to get my items and account back under my control, and they responded quickly and professionally." [Source: http://www.techdigest.tv/2009/04/lost_and_naked.html]