Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard MMO Decisions

Ok, i just registered, so hi ::::01::

Anyway, i have been highly interested in MMORPG/MMOFPS for some time now, but I have never came to buying a subscription for one. My problem is that, whenever I see something that looks interested, in particular WoW, SWG, EQII, Maybe even GW or PS(As you see from my xfire, i like fps a lot, but WWII online looked like junk unquestionably everywhere i turned, and trial made me cry), I always hear of major problems to accompany them in some way, which then makes me reluctant to buy the game. Even if there is a trial, I still have unanswered questions, such as will there be good high level experiences, or how will the game become better/worse over time. Currently my eyes are set on SWG, but many negative reviews from community and even some game sites have made my decision tough. Same for WoW in an especially similar manner.

Basically, I need some suggestions how to really find the good MMO for oneself before buying a game card and box for like $50< US dollars. Please dont confuse this with a "What game should i pla?" thread, but instead as a possible guide on how I can figure out what I really will enjoy in a long term period of play, such as what effects I should look for, etc. Im just not sure, and im willing to try most things

Comments

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I wish I could help you but I'm not sure what to say.  I don't think you can really know for sure what you like in a MMORPG untill you've actually played one for a while.

I'm trying to imagine what I would have thought about all this before I played my first MMORPG (which happened to be EQ).  I don't think anyone could have really given me a good enough feel for MMORPG issues to help me make a good decision on which game would have been better for me.  And there are a lot more games to choose from now.

I would suggest that you just pick which ever one appeals to you the most and give it a try.  Then, after you've played for a year or so, if you feel disappointed that the game didn't live up to your hopes and dreams, you can join the rest of us bitter, disaffected MMORPG gamers and drift around from one forum to the next posting wistful longings for something better.

Yes....yes, please join us.

Cooooommmmeeee tooo usss Crackashack.....coommeee jooiiinn usssss

Muhahahaha

• PasomattPasomatt Member Posts: 221

If you prowl the net alot you can typically find free-trials and things. And sometimes games offer then now and then. Besides that... just be as informed as you can.

• ShingenShingen Member Posts: 40

I've been playing MMORPG's for so long now, and I recently quit the last one I had been playing, which was Tantra. Beta's almost over so... Anyway today was my search day, and browsing through old posts, I managed to find these games that I think, hope, are still playable. Check them out if you'd like. They are free currently:

www.skyblade.com.ph - resembles Diablo gameplay, but story and background is different.

www.vastian.net - also Diablo graphics, resembling more of Diablo gameplay. Includes 3 races - Warrior, Ranger, and Mage

Enjoy!

[Shingen]

• MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368

Omg. Long post typed up. Back button on my mouse ate it.

Anyways. Keep an eye out for skill-based advancement systems. They tend to be more interesting to people who enjoy action and risk, as they aren't crippled by the outdated, inferior Level-based systems so common.

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

• ShingenShingen Member Posts: 40

Ok I JUST started playing SkyBlade. Im not a big fan of it. It really resembles Diablo the way you actually play. But as I said the background and the actual way the game is presented differs greatly. The characters are 3d models along with the NPC's and monsters. Some of you may enjoy this, but I might delete this from my computer. ::::07::

• JoJoFibJoJoFib Member Posts: 11
    About you being interested in SWG, and the community saying bad things about it. Don't listen to them, they reek of the ignorance. I'm sure you've tried out the trial, it really all depends on your preference of interface. I love SWG, mainly because there's a goal in the game, and when you become a veteran the game doesn't get boring, it actually begins to revolve around you. Only problem, the game requires one helluva comp to run at nominal graphic settings. However, you can put the graphics as low as possible and it'll run on a 333MHZ style comp.

"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." - Isaac Asimov

• MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368

Hmm, No...I tried SWG, and it was weak sauce in a can. Played it for about three weeks before I was too disgusted to log on anymore. The one thing that kept bothering me...there's no jumping, except for a "jump" emote. Things like that just irritate the piss out of me...

"Omf, but u can be a j3d!"

No thanks.

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

• Originally posted by MisfitZ

Hmm, No...I tried SWG, and it was weak sauce in a can. Played it for about three weeks before I was too disgusted to log on anymore. The one thing that kept bothering me...there's no jumping, except for a "jump" emote. Things like that just irritate the piss out of me...
    "Omf, but u can be a j3d!"
    No thanks.

When was the last time you played SWG?

Tooo many people post claiming they know what SWG is like, but they have not played it in the past 2 months. Yes the game SWG has changed sooo much it is nothing like it was even 2 months ago.

And anyone, anyone, who has played SWG in beta knows absolutly zero about how SWG currently is. The game is 0% like it was in beta test. SWG has been out for almost 2 years. (The end of June 2005 will mark 2 years.). Right now it has a solid 200k players playing. As long as one plays SWG with the intention of NOT trying to become a Jedi, it is a NICE game! SWG is unofficially Ultima Online 2.

The only reason you listed why you disliked SWG is that you cannot jump with your character. If such a reason makes or breaks a MMORPG for you, then that is your personal prefrence.'

Now list everything else? All your other reasons? Any other reasons?

---------------------------------------------------------------

To anyone else thinking about playing SWG, please click on the SWG link in the menu on the left side of this page. In the SWG forums at this here site, you will see that recently, the most ant-SWG crowd have been posting that they all have come back to SWG, and that they all.... like and love SWG. image

Now if the longest, most well known, anti-SWG posters at this site, are coming back to SWG, and then saying they now LIKE SWG, then it is proof SWG has drastically changed once again. image

SWG is not for everyone. No MMORPG is for everyone. In SWG's case, it is intended first for Star Wars fans. Then next for anyone who only has 1-4 hours a session to play - casual players who have tons of other things to do in real life, job, kids, family, bills, school, etc..etc...

-------------------------------------------------------

To the guy who started this thread, if you like FPS a lot, you should check out Planetside. It is at station.com

It is the only MMOFPS out. Thousands of players on the same server shooting, killing, PvPing, each other. image

I've never played WW2O, but I have heard in the past 4 months it has gotten much, much, much, better. It did release as one of the worse ever MMORPGs. But it was barely able to do a big turnaround. It also has a very tightknit, more mature, community. Mature meaning, most of the players are serious gamers who are into it, and will help new players who are serious about getting into it.

image image image image image image image image

-Personal Website (A Work still in progress):
    http://www.geocities.com/xplororor/index.html

-AC, AC2, AO, EQ, Freelancer, SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

-More SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/captain_sica_xol

-More EQ, Dungeon Siege, *UXO*, Diablo II:Lords of Destruction:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

-EverQuest II, Horizons:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_eq2archives01

-EVE Online !!!