Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Villians

The sequel to City of Heros ofcourse. I honestly didnt see that coming, and it's funny in my mind, but I dont know if it will be any good. Long-time City of Heroes players will be rewarded with beta testing slots for the new title. Players subscribed for at least six months will receive the next level of priority in consideration. City of Villains is slated for a 2005 release.

Good move or bad!?

Comments

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Its just an expansion pack, not a sequel. Therefore, on part of the games players for the most part its a good move.

• CeredwynnCeredwynn Member Posts: 124

Originally posted by Orcc

Its just an expansion pack, not a sequel. Therefore, on part of the games players for the most part its a good move.

I know it's an expansion, like the "Council of War" expansion for COH. Simply using the words of [Jeffery  Adashek]

• PasomattPasomatt Member Posts: 221

Its good. It adds another side and PvP options.

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Hate to rain on your parade but its not an expansion pack.It is going to a game seperate from CoH.Eventually the player gets to wreak havoc in Paragon City.

This is a seperate game entirely from CoH.Its NOT an expansion at all.More of a "evil" twin to CoH.

Heres a link:http://www.cityofvillains.com/

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)

• PasomattPasomatt Member Posts: 221

First line of the game info for City of Villains:

Presenting City of Villains, the first expansion of the comic-inspired massively multiplayer game, City of Heroes.

And as I said, one of the features is base vs. base combat, hero vs. villain wars, etc.

owned.

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

Dude how woul dit not be an expansion?

It is adding to the current state of CoH, from what i hear we can now craft......and if thats so, what? Villians only? very doubtful

and if it was a complete seperate game how come peopel from CoH get 1 char transfer to villian side?

also...PvP....seperate game would = no PvP...cause it would be its own.

So i guess someone be told....

-Owned

---------------------------------------------
    WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura
    ---------------------------------------------

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253
    Well when it was first mentioned to the community way back at the release of CoH it was mooted as a seperate game. Its reasonable that anyone who followed CoH would think that was still the plan. Either way it will be a welcome breath of fresh air for the brand.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

You can play CoV and never have buyed CoH, so it is another game.  If you buy DoN, you wont be able to play EQ no matter how hard you try, this is an expension.  You may download Issue 4, you wont be able to play without having a copy of CoH.  Lastly, if they would have include a free version of CoH with CoV someone could have argue, but they dont.

It share the same timeline, the same world and players from BOTH games can meet each other.  Also as long as you pay the monthly fee for 1 game and own both, you can play either at your own pleasure.  SoE call this a STATION PASS and prevent access from 1 world to another, more flexibility then SoE is always nice, especially with the free expensions.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• HyoukanHyoukan Member Posts: 307

First of the Issues are not expansions, they are just huge updates.

Second, CoV WILL NOT be a seperate game, it is an expansion. CoV will include bases for Villains and Heros for SGvsVG (guild vs guild) combat/raids.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Puoltry
    Hate to rain on your parade but its not an expansion pack.It is going to a game seperate from CoH.Eventually the player gets to wreak havoc in Paragon City.This is a seperate game entirely from CoH.Its NOT an expansion at all.More of a "evil" twin to CoH.
    Heres a link:http://www.cityofvillains.com/

I believe it is an axpansion. Otherwise, you'll be able to play City of Villians entirely without the original in your system....which will not happen.

It'll be an expansion

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Originally posted by En1Gma

I believe it is an axpansion. Otherwise, you'll be able to play City of Villians entirely without the original in your system....which will not happen.
    It'll be an expansion

That is against everything they told us back then.  Even with a link I would still disbelieve until it goes live, assuming it will be self reliant and that the change would be made back to the original track at any moment.  They always told us that CoV does NOT require CoH, thereby it is a different games, with different AT, zones, missions and everything.  Players of both game merely encounter each others in the same world, which is a brilliant move.  A new game which share the same world of another could also incoporate a few ''upgrades'' for the old game, so been like 20% an expension and 80% a new game.  We are definitely in a grey zone.

The old guard may die, but we never retreat!    "Original Quote was from Napoleon troops I believe and sound more like: La Garde meurt mais ne se rend pas!"  The way they say ''La Garde'' mean a lot more then just little guards however, it is more like THE personnal guards or something.

To the ohter guy...issues add 10 levels, which Kunark did.  Issues add many new zones, which Velious did.  Issues add many new features and accolades, which SoL did.  And you dare say Issues are not expension? 

Ok here's how it works City of Villains IS an expansion. It is also standalone from CoH. You can have CoV and only be villains, or only have CoH and only be heros. By "standalone" that's to say that you dont need CoH to play CoV, BUT you'll still be on the same server, and still be able to interact with the opposing side through battle, or just chilling or whatever. Each side will still have their own private area's and so on. Expansion? New Game? Both? Neither? I dunno.

Here's a real quote from http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2028144&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#2028144

"GD: Is it [CoV] an entirely different game?

JE: This is one for the business guys, but let me tell you how I want to design it: It's going to be a standalone game, so you can buy City of Villains and play it and interact with the players in City of Heroes, but you just can't be a hero -- you can't build a hero and you can't go through the hero track. It's one subscription fee -- $14.95 a month regardless of whether you have City of Heroes, City of Villains, or both."

This is a different game.

They dont use 1 AT in common, they are differents products in the same world.  Arguing will be pointless however, you will never change my mind, and I doubt I will change yours.

BG and BG2 are not the same game...you even use the same character!!!  Throne of Bhaal and Sword where the expensions.  Sharing the same server dont mean you are sharing the same game, it would be like saying sharing the same appartement mean you are family.

Hyoukan, with the very links you bring, I am more convinced then ever that we are talking about 2 very differents games that just share servers and allow players some options.  An expension would at the very least be using the same characters or AT, it dont, you may encounter them, but you are not them...wich is a sequel game!

PS: CoV and CoH have a lot in common, but nothing as close as BG and BG2.

I'm not sure what you're saying but, do you disagree with this statement?

Players from City of Villains and players from City of Heros will share the same world.
    This statement is a fact, it's %100 true.

Here's a quote from a interview with Jack Emmert

"GD: There's also the City of Villains expansion...

JE: That's due out next year. Obviously, you get to be the bad guy, and it's going to be when we introduce PvP (player versus player) on a large scale in the city. We'll probably be introducing it in an arena sooner than you think... but basically, it's where players get to be a supervillain.

GD: Is it an entirely different game?

JE: This is one for the business guys, but let me tell you how I want to design it: It's going to be a standalone game, so you can buy City of Villains and play it and interact with the players in City of Heroes, but you just can't be a hero -- you can't build a hero and you can't go through the hero track. It's one subscription fee -- $14.95 a month regardless of whether you have City of Heroes, City of Villains, or both.

GD: And that'll all be in the same world?

JE: We'll be opening up new areas of the world that you won't be able to get to unless you own City of Villains. "

Complete Uncensored Quote

Jack Emmert the Creative Directory said it himself, that they will share they same world. If you can't believe his words then I dunno.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

I dont want to get in depth with precise definitions but Im pretty sure they'll still call it an expansion. Some of the developers have been calling it an expansion for ages now. If it's a stand alone game than that's cool (I dont know what you can do that by sharing the same server with two different stand alone games...do u just stare at the bad guys and point or vice versa?)

Anyone know how much this game will be? 49.99 or 29.99? That's usually a tell tale sign of what they'll call it on the box

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

I think if you own CoH, it's an expansion.. If you don't own CoH, it's a seperate game. How's that? :) If you own CoH, I think it will add features to it such as being able to have your own bases, etc, so it will be an expansion in that respect.

Either way, I plan on getting it when it comes out... Is there a more definite release date other than "2005" out there anywhere?

• rob42lourob42lou Member Posts: 31
    Well if it is part expansion and part separate we need to make a name to fit this new catagory of game... like sepansion (separate + expansion) or something 
  • CrabbyCrabby Member Posts: 153

You know what?  I was following City of Heroes since they first created their website over four years ago, and they never indicated that the "PvP expansion" would ever be it's own game.  They said it would be like its own game due to the compelxity and change offered in the new experience.  They also said you would never have to interact with either CoH or CoV players if you didn't want to...but as a "true" sequel?  Never heard that.

This sort of reminds me of when the game first released and they announced the PvP expansion at last year's E3.  Those players felt betrayed and acted as if they knew "the score" with the devs' intention for the game, except anyone with enough tenure in the community already knew it was coming for three years...

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Good lord who gives a damn if its a sequel a expansion or a 6 pack... I could care less.. The most important question to me is when exactly in 2005 is it comming out.. And is this "Date?" set in stone since I remember them saying last year that it would be out by the begging of 2005...

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Geez talk about apples and oranges!!

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)

• CeredwynnCeredwynn Member Posts: 124

Originally posted by rob42lou

Well if it is part expansion and part separate we need to make a name to fit this new catagory of game... like sepansion (separate + expansion) or something 

lmao!! that's a great idea, especially for such ambiguity on this topic.. with the the expansion being jacked that it pretty much is a new game but based of of CoH it truly is a grey area. [grey area reference to a member's post earlier]

• Kaos_nyrbKaos_nyrb Member Posts: 244

oo cool, was thinking of getting CoH but i think i'll just wait for CoV.
    I've always been a nasty guy at heart ::::18::

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253
    Yes its about time the good citizens of CoH felt some real EVIL! image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Sharing the same server dont make it an expension per say.  image  The fact you dont need to buy CoH is the best proof it is a NEW game rather then an expension. 

To me, CoV will always be a sequel a LOT more then an expension.  It dont add new levels, new powers, it add nearly nothing on stuff already existing.  However it bring new zones, new ATs, full PvP, completely different gameplays and features that they are nice to share with the old game.

I would be surprised if the retail price is not $49.99, but again I will certainly not complain if I am wrong.  The amount of work and feature in CoV is insane.