Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth playing completely free?

WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Considering coming back to this game and starting fresh, though i didn't really get far in the game my first time around.

Would the game be worth playing without purchasing any adventure packs and such? Would it be difficult to get a group for the free to play content, and is their enough of that content to play through the game to max level?

Comments

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

If you dont want to do alot of grinding the answer is NO!

I think you can probably get to level 10 pretty eay without paying anything but after that there is not alot of free quests. Also most of the better/more fun quests you need to pay for. But getting groups for the free quests are very easy though and there are some great ones like Gwylenth last stand, Tempest spine, Ataraxians haven and so on.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Hrm I see..is the paid content stuff they've added on to the original game? Or is it stuff that was originally there at release and you now have to pay to access?

I think I could probably enjoy the game if the content from the original release is still there, though I think the cap was at 10 back then which could explain the lack of content 10+

The cap is 20 now I take it?

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Both.  All of the new content that's been released has been tailored made as adventure packs.  The old content was picked over and broken up into free and paid.

For example: Lvl 4 quests -

Freshen the Air, Irestone Inlet, Proof is in the Poison - all stayed free

Anything to do with the Catacombs went as a paid adventrure pack

And a New pack ' The Sharn Sydicate' was added as a paid adventure pack.

At a guess from looking at what went where, i'd say stand alone's stayed free and quest chains went paid.

All of Korthos Island (lvl 1) is free, All of the The Harbor (lvl 2) are free and about half of the lvl 3 quests which are in both The Harbor and The Market Place  are free and the other half paid.

Just for some rough numbers, you get free:

Lvl 1 - 8 quests / lvl 2 - 18 quests / lvl 3 - 8 quests, 1 Wilderness area / lvl 4 - 8 quests / lvl 5 - 5 quests / lvl 6 - 10 quests / lvl 7 - 4 quests / lvl 8 - 7 quests / lvl 9 - 1 quest / lvl 10 - 4 quests and so on. 

Since I'm playing as free as I can, I made up a guide so I'd know what to look for.  The numbers above are just what I've pulled from the guide and haven't tested them all yet.  Also since I haven't made it that far, I  haven't graphed out the lvl 11 - 20 quests but from a quick look it pretty much does the same roller coaster for numbers, some real slim (lvl 20 seems to only have 1 quest) and others maybe a half dozen.  Most seem to be on the lower side of the number scale.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Hrm I see..is the paid content stuff they've added on to the original game? Or is it stuff that was originally there at release and you now have to pay to access?

I think I could probably enjoy the game if the content from the original release is still there, though I think the cap was at 10 back then which could explain the lack of content 10+

The cap is 20 now I take it?

Yea the cap is 20.

Since you get Turbine points from doing quests you can do some grinding to buy the quest packs free aswell. Id rather just put in maybe $20 and just go from there, that should take you far into the game. Just buying the smalles amount of TP upgrades you from Free account to Preemium which it totally worth it since it will give you 2 additional character slots and lift alot of the chat restrctions and so on.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Awesome thanks for the information guys :D

Figure i'll give it a shot and see if I have fun with the game, after all it's free :V

Might try adventure packs if I really get into it

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

Just pay the V.I.P. (if you really get into it)

It's not that much and it's worth.

Good luck!

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

If you want to play for free you'll want to roll a character on all 7 servers. It's a good way to try the different classes. Free points are awarded at the favor milestones, so get each character to 500 favor on all 7 servers and you'll end up with 1,925 free points. This should be enough to get you the adventure packs that will allow you to go from level 12 or so to level 20, after the free quests are gone. 

This thread has some good reviews of the adventure packs:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=199945

With 1,925 points I'd go for Gianthold and Vale of Twilight. If you buy them on sale for 25% off you should be able to get a third adventure pack, like Devils of Shavarath or Demon Sands.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Considering coming back to this game and starting fresh, though i didn't really get far in the game my first time around.

Would the game be worth playing without purchasing any adventure packs and such? Would it be difficult to get a group for the free to play content, and is their enough of that content to play through the game to max level?

Yes, it is most deffintely worth it to play free and you should be able to fill your own parties running free content.  The most difficult thing would probably be picking which content you want to run which also happens to be free. 

Max level?  You would be repeating quests more then you might like, but you would also earn Turbine Points while doing so which could be used to purchase higher level content. 

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

What you have to remember is that everytime you complete a quest you get 'favor points'

The higher the difficulty setting of that quest the more favor you gain.

Now, I forget what the conversion is but every 50 favor points you get some STORE points.   By getting to level 6 on one character gave me enoughpoints to unlock an adventure pack.

But the thing about the adventure pack is that it unlocks for ALL characters, and the favor points across ALL characters count toward the store points.

So theoretically you could run a few characters to help unlock adventures, which in turn give you more favor points etc...

The game has excelent replay ability, you wont find going through the first 6 levels mundane and if you hook up with a friend or a good guilds its gret fun.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by sadeyx

What you have to remember is that everytime you complete a quest you get 'favor points'

The higher the difficulty setting of that quest the more favor you gain.

Now, I forget what the conversion is but every 50 favor points you get some STORE points.   By getting to level 6 on one character gave me enoughpoints to unlock an adventure pack.

But the thing about the adventure pack is that it unlocks for ALL characters, and the favor points across ALL characters count toward the store points.

So theoretically you could run a few characters to help unlock adventures, which in turn give you more favor points etc...

The game has excelent replay ability, you wont find going through the first 6 levels mundane and if you hook up with a friend or a good guilds its gret fun.

You get favor the first time you complete a quest. There is favor for each difficulty level but it does not stack. If a quest is worth say 12 favor for elite, and you do normal, hard then elite the total favor will be 12 from that quest.

I am pretty sure the rate is 25 store points per 100 favor.

• farfanugonfarfanugon Member Posts: 419

i restarted a free accont not long back..... in frustration i had the cheat 1 time " used 40 bucks on points"

3 months later i had all maps lvl 12+ perm owned and 9 lvl 20 toons spread acrost the serv.   yet still far from done the grind needed to get this far and the OMFG repetion of lvling so many toons has soured me to the game .

so if  you want to come back as a free player and still have fun  the answer is no you cant.... free players get the trash maps that you  go to do quest 1 time for  favor then return only if you need a buff or two..  you can not  play as a  pre F2P now as a free player , dont try.

go vip or move slow lvling your 4 toons at the ame rate and buy a new map every week or 2 ,  Keep in mind this IS NOT the same game it was Pre-F2P  , the majority of players are now children where befor the Avg. player was a 3x year old male, and quite offten the  chat lines prove the  game is mostly children now , this  for me was  the hardest part to work around...

• Bill_PardyBill_Pardy Member Posts: 196

Hooray  for guilds, the lower average age/maturity of DDO players has not effected my fun yet :)

• GoorlotGoorlot Newbie CommonPosts: 34
    Yes, if you're f2p (or plan to stay that way), you've got to grind. Meaning doing each quest 3 times through (just to reach elite difficulty and that good, but soon to be gone, 80% first time elite difficulty completion). Chances are though, if you didn't make it far the first time you played the game, you won't make it far this time either.