Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What truly next generation MMORPGs truly need...

kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Designated controller.

You can only do this much with keyboard and mouse...

with designated controller you could have characters joins move almost unlimitedly and add f.ex. combat that wouldn't only require character to have skill but the player as well...this give games plenty of realism...

well designed "mmorpgpad, mmoglove, etc etc" could give player complete controll over his character.

I would personally be ready to pay extra for mmorpg with designated controller and these functions.

Comments

• MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368

That would increase the learning curve exponentially, ruining the game for a huge portion of potential subscribers.

People couldn't even adapt to PnC in Wish, how do you think they're going to get used to the Power Glove all over again?

If it were just an optional system, then it could be feasible. But if it were required, it would be almost certain doom. I say almost, because with enough advertising dollars, people can be convinced to accept nearly anything.

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Internet latency is the ruination of any such scheme.

• MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368
    Within the next 5-6 years, broadband will have become popular enough that MMoGs won't have to cater to 56k players anymore. The bigger ones still will, in order to maximize profit, but the cutting edge ones made by independent developers might not.

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

• psydexpsydex Member Posts: 187

Mmopad..mmoglove...three things:

Could you see the dude who weighs 600 pounds doing this? :P I can't. Or even the woman who is always "achey".

Reminds me of that awesome nintendo movie with fred savage.

As for broadband, latest numbers are about 64 percent of all households have it. Every college does. So i'll figure 7 out of 10 people use broadband for mmorpg's now. If you're not, invest, it's 10 dollars more a month but well worth it.

• FenariskFenarisk Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by kishe

Designated controller.

You can only do this much with keyboard and mouse...
    with designated controller you could have characters joins move almost unlimitedly and add f.ex. combat that wouldn't only require character to have skill but the player as well...this give games plenty of realism...
    well designed "mmorpgpad, mmoglove, etc etc" could give player complete controll over his character.
    I would personally be ready to pay extra for mmorpg with designated controller and these functions.

Remember all the people owning the videogame vibrate chair or backpack? Or remember the videogame gloves that everyone on your block had? Of course you don't because its all stupid and on one buys that crap as has been proven in the past.
  • Blitz_StormBlitz_Storm Member UncommonPosts: 47

I think what the next generation of MMORPGS really needs is built in video conferencing. Audio would be good too, speech to text at the very least. It's usually at those tense moments where you need to communicate with group members when you can't afford the time to type a message. But that's just my opinion.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

that's what Ventrilo's for.

• XavonXavon Member Posts: 334

TBH, the only times I've played MMO's in the past few months was when I was too tired to play Twitch Based games, and before that, I enjoyed playing most when lounging back in my seat with a can of beer in hand and having a nice chat with the guys I was slaying dragons with.

Altough I can see the appeal of such devices for some, I would steer well clear...

• SicarimSicarim Member Posts: 219
    Controllers are a cool idea.... they might submserse the player a bit more...
  • AegwynAegwyn Member Posts: 1
    Honestly i think more games should be free. Playing mmorpg's is fun, but i think i can find better things to spend my money on.

I give all the right answers, they're just asking all the wrong questions.

• SlytheSlythe Member UncommonPosts: 952

I would pay extra for that type of interface too, something that could give you more definition of how your character moves, interacts, and attacks.

Not to get off topic but I think that another thing MMORPG's are lacking and could use, are various types of animations/ fighting stances/ walk styles etc. One thing that ruins immersion for me is seeing a group of people all using the same exact fighting animations.If they could only give us at least like 7-8 different "styles" to choose from, it would help out a lot.

Imagine a game where you can totally create your own character ( SWG still probably has the best char customization) , and then after creating their "look", you can then select their fighting style, walk style, emote styles and more out of a large list, so large that seeing another character exactly like yours might be near impossible. A game like this would probably make me lose my social life though, so if any devs are reading, dont make a game like this please. =)

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by psydex

Wizards rocked! 

"You got 50,000 on Double Dragon?!?"

What a lame score, lol, I blew that away.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

the next future mmorpg need to get rid of this lvling grind and mage, warrior, bow classes

i cant see it anymore ::::06::::::05::

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    I was going to say something flippant but instead I'll just agree with Spizz about the level grind.  I'm sick of it.  Make the game more like a world and less like a hamster wheel.
  • LightSlayerLightSlayer Member Posts: 182
    I got a good idea for a game but.....eh.......still need to get older, but still that would be awesome to have VR

---------------------------------------------

• semanticsemantic Member Posts: 122

3D glasses FTW!

and locked first person perspective - like Daggerfall. ::::28::

• entranaentrana Member Posts: 106

so basically what we really need are truly immersive games with interactive and developing worlds not just the usual 2 bit storyline,click n kill level grinds that we have today? made by kids trying to make a quick buck or big companys trying to suck the notes out of your wallet? heh if anyone made a fully immersive game i'd be there ::::08::

• Kaos_nyrbKaos_nyrb Member Posts: 244

What they truly need is a minimum age limit ::::39::

• hapwnedhapwned Member Posts: 221
    Controllers should just be for consols, and MMOs should just be for PCs.

--Ha, Pwned--
    Pvp = godliness
    Playing: WoW
    Waiting on: Gods and Heroes

• psydexpsydex Member Posts: 187

Originally posted by dekron
    Originally posted by psydex
    Wizards rocked!
    "You got 50,000 on Double Dragon?!?"
    What a lame score, lol, I blew that away.

Wizards! Oh man, i'm going to have to try and find this on DVD :P