Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

we need more mmorpg games for the xbox, ps2

punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

both i dont care but we need them bad. i was reading in the xbox mag that there will be alot of mmorpg on the xbox on xbox 2 but i cant wait that long haha.

what do yall think   yes or no to the xbox,ps2 mmorpg games

and say why or why not.

thanks image

Comments

• slakslak Member Posts: 83

I say no simply because i hate consoles. And i have a good reason too, but i won't get into that now.

• DekothDekoth Member Posts: 474

Definitally not for either.

FFXI was a grand example of why porting a PC mmorpg to console is a bad idea any mannter you look at it. I will name a few reasons, and please keep in mind to date ffxi was overall one of my favorite mmorpgs, though I do not play it anymore.

1) Graphics, Simply put you restrict the graphics from ever substantially improving, as the game is limited to what the console can handle. As mmorpgs have a longer lifespan then any other type of game and you cannot reasonably expect console gamers to upgrade their console just to play an expansion with a graphics improvement.

2) Community, I love my consoles, Afterall I was part of the Atari, nintendo generation. However to say the overall online community of console's is deplorable would be making a tragic understatement. For whatever reason the communities associated with console's online are abysmal, I lost track of how many players I had on ignore within the first week of FFXI going live on ps2 in NA. I was far from alone in that I know entire linkshells myself included who got to the point of, Would not group, guild or associate in any manner with PS2 players. This is not to say that all of them are bad, but it is simply verifying that the mass majority were in fact taking idiocy to the next level. Actually most of them Gave idiots a bad name. And before any Xbox fanboys try and say well this only applies to PS2..Ive seen your communities..ala Halo 2, and the ps2 community as bad as it is, looks decidedly like utopia in comparison.

3) lastly and most obvious, consumer base. Honestly FFXI proved that the market for Console based mmorpgs are minimal at best, especially considering the cost. If you take into consideration that a fairly large portion of the Console market was composed of mule characters, People who wanted to run a bazaar full time and found it obviously cheaper to run a ps2 then another pc for this purpose and eliminate this group out of the equation, then the actual numbers of ps2 players were fairly small. Now if the console's start making a number of mmorpgs and breaking of that market even further, it really rather makes it pointless.

Now as an aside to this, There are some upsides to it and I mentioned one of them. Boxing mule characters. I know I would willingly purchase EQ2 for example for PS2 or Xbox Simply to run a Boxed character for merchant purposes. Even if the graphics were vastly outdated, that would not bother me as, it is Far cheaper buy an extra ps2 if I needed more then one, They consume far less electricity then my computer, any They Definitally produce less heat and noise, not to mention of course take up so much less space since I can still watch TV and such by switching video input without disturbing the game. however I think in reality the market for this is so miniscule that it would not be worth the time.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

consoles are for fighting games, and children.

PCs are for serious gamers. You cannot match the quality of a PC game on a console simply due to the limitations inherant in the hardware.

Other than that, I think Dekoth pretty much summed it up.

• aeric67aeric67 Member UncommonPosts: 798

The whole reason to develop on consoles is moot when it comes to MMOGs. Piracy is next to impossible on an MMOG, due to having to call home in order to play the game. Since PCs have so much more power and flexibility, there really is no con to developing a MMOG on them.. financially or technically. Plus, no platform licensing fees!

EDIT: Only one potential disadvantage is developing for a limitless combination of hardware, but even that is arguable. With APIs like DirectX and XNA (if it's still called that), this is lessened. I bet with the release of XNA games, you will start to see PC MMOGs on XBOX2. Vanguard will be one of the first, I believe.

• garrison13garrison13 Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

I disagree with that point. There have been many ground-breaking console games in many different genres. Most of my favourite RPG's (FF series, Suikoden , Wild Arms etc. ) are console games and then there are classics like Mario 64, Halo, GTA series etc. I do agree that they are not really suitable for MMORPG's though.
  • n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

There is already an MMORPG on PS2.

PS2 MMORPG

image image

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by garrison13
    Originally posted by Wharg0ul
    I disagree with that point. There have been many ground-breaking console games in many different genres. Most of my favourite RPG's (FF series, Suikoden , Wild Arms etc. ) are console games and then there are classics like Mario 64, Halo, GTA series etc. I do agree that they are not really suitable for MMORPG's though.

I can play most any good console game on my PC, via either ports, or emulators (provided that I own the original game). With better graphics, sound, moddability, and mappable controls. I can use any controller I want, be it mouse/key, joystick, gamepad, wheel, whatever.

• Dantes77Dantes77 Member Posts: 106

I dunno. When it comes to mmorpgs i would just choose the computer straight up because playing with a keyboard and mouse on these games is vry helpful. Ofcourse the age of voice communication is coming out so mmorpgs on consoles will probably be good in their own right.

Hey....i like console games as well they arent just for children hmphimage