Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mythic caught in a lie

TooL-D-TooL-D- Member CommonPosts: 126

From the Imperator FAQ:

Quote: " In the world of MMORPGs, nobody to date has proven that a game that both has hundreds of thousands of subscribers as well as one-world, can work."

EVE Online proves that one "server" works for a future space based mmorpg.

Comments

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496
    EVE have over 100,000 subscibers?

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• _myko_myko Member Posts: 333

its got at least 50,000

i wouldnt go as far as to say what mythic says is a lie, eve challenges the conventional approach to MMO's in a way few others even attempt.

---sig---

PvE in general is pretty lame, if you think long and hard about it. You are spending your time beating a severely gimped AI that would lose to a well trained monkey. Best not to think too long and hard why you are wasting time playing games in general actually...

• kickassmankickassman Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by _myko
    its got at least 50,000i wouldnt go as far as to say what mythic says is a lie, eve challenges the conventional approach to MMO's in a way few others even attempt.
    Its got way more then 50k. At some days there is 10k users online, which would mean that 20% of all the subscribers are playing..... Which is highly unlilkly.

I was thinking more like 300k+

Nuffsaid

• MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368

According to www.mmogchart.com eve has about 54k subscribers.

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by kickassman

Originally posted by _myko
    its got at least 50,000

i wouldnt go as far as to say what mythic says is a lie, eve challenges the conventional approach to MMO's in a way few others even attempt.

Its got way more then 50k. At some days there is 10k users online, which would mean that 20% of all the subscribers are playing..... Which is highly unlilkly.

I was thinking more like 300k+

20% is more or less usually the average amount of people playing at any given time toward the total population.

Averagely, for other games, a server (when maxed) will have around 2.5k, 3k of players playign at same time and a server population of 10-15k.

By the way, no need to speculate, EVE published official subscribers some time ago. they reached the 60k number after the expansion was released and are still there. (or was almost 60k like 58900) So, no, Mythic has not lied as EVE has not 100K subscribers.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by TooL-D-
    From the Imperator FAQ:Quote: " In the world of MMORPGs, nobody to date has proven that a game that both has hundreds of thousands of subscribers as well as one-world, can work."EVE Online proves that one "server" works for a future space based mmorpg.

Since EVE only has roughly 55K subscribers, does that now make you a liar?

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Originally posted by ianubisi
    From the Imperator FAQ:Quote: " In the world of MMORPGs, nobody to date has proven that a game that both has hundreds of thousands of subscribers as well as one-world, can work."EVE Online proves that one "server" works for a future space based mmorpg.

Since EVE only has roughly 55K subscribers, does that now make you a liar?

OWNED

• Dantes77Dantes77 Member Posts: 106
    I thought eve was a cluster of servers?
  • MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368
    Obviously, the hardware is clustered. They are referring to the game world.

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Dantes77
    I thought eve was a cluster of servers?

Any game uses server clusters, the thing that makes eve special it only uses one server cluster that holds all users instead of smaller capacity clusters with limited population amounts.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Eve has never hit 100k subscribers, so no Mythic wasn't "lieing".

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

How many players can EvE support in one zone? DAoC has shown that you aren't limited by how many you can have on a server with clustering, but on how many you can have in one zone. Eve has tons of zones, and they aren't even seemless, so you can have as many players in a world as you want as long as you find a way to keep them all in different zones.

image image

I think I remember hearing recently they can handle something like 50k people logged in at the same time. I may be very wrong on that though, thats not a researched number. As for per zone, no idea on that.

- Scaris

• _myko_myko Member Posts: 333

ive been outside a station with 500 other people, eve still ran (but the client lagged to hell). We were waiting for a jovian to jump in, in the end he made it, in 50,000 very small pieces...

---sig---

PvE in general is pretty lame, if you think long and hard about it. You are spending your time beating a severely gimped AI that would lose to a well trained monkey. Best not to think too long and hard why you are wasting time playing games in general actually...

• TooL-D-TooL-D- Member CommonPosts: 126

Ahh so they twisted facts. The fact is, no other mmorpg will EVER have 100k+ population, so its eazy to say that.

Whats left out there? Blizzard had a fan base thats 10 years old, DAoC released before the mmorpg zerg rush happened, and was an almost flawless release (minus a dupe or two that was found and some small exploits, its was highly clean compaired to others). There are so many mmorpgs now that the mmo community is streatched beyond limits.

So its eazy to make a statement like that. I like the idea of a single server for a single mmo. Your enemy doesnt end up on another server, that you may not even be able to access (aka WoW server cluster@#$@'s). Especally with "realm" style fighting, you may end up with a bunch of morons on yoru server, and have to reroll on another one.. tho that DOES make the publisher/devs more money..

No I dont play WoW, I played lancealot in daoc eons ago, and noone ever did what our guild asked, and we got zerged to hell and never had relics because of the moronic majority. We did, however, slaugher a few hundred albions with our couple of groups of players in our guild, ignoring the idiots trying to run things. That was years ago, and im sure it hasnt improved in the clone mmorpgs that are out today.

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Ahh so they twisted facts. The fact is, no other mmorpg will EVER have 100k+ population, so its eazy to say that.

And... how is that a fact? Because you said so?

• TooL-D-TooL-D- Member CommonPosts: 126

Originally posted by Xzaro

Prove me wrong.

Maybe its more of a theory that cant be proved wrong.

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Originally posted by Xzaro

Prove me wrong.

Maybe its more of a theory that cant be proved wrong.

By you saying that, it would mean that no MMORPG would ever reach 100K+ population on at a time over a period of 10000000000000000000 years.

It will happen, someday, trust me, as long as the Earth doesn't blow up before then or mankind is wiped out.

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

The fact is, no other mmorpg will EVER have 100k+ population, so its eazy to say that.

There are two ways to answer this ridiculous claim:

1) EverQuest has already had numerous occasions of 100K+ subscribers concurrently connected, as has World of Warcraft. This answer is for the "[never] have 100K+ population [online]" slant.

2) A whole host of games claim more than 100K+ subscribers, including but not limited to UO, Lineage, EQ, DAoC, EQII, WoW, and more. This answer is for the "[never] have 100K+ population" slant.

Any which way you look at it, you're just dead wrong.

• StukovStukov Member Posts: 180

I believe the general idea of this post was a fan of EVE Online wanting to bash Mythic, and he was proven wrong. Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against EVE or Mythic...but as stated above, plenty of games have had 100k + population. On 1 server? No, but who knows what might happen in a few years...

• Originally posted by Stukov

I believe the general idea of this post was a fan of EVE Online wanting to bash Mythic, and he was proven wrong. Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against EVE or Mythic...but as stated above, plenty of games have had 100k + population. On 1 server? No, but who knows what might happen in a few years...

Mmmmm...fiber optic net connections and bio-computers....mmmmm image
  • RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Um the technical stuff is not my strong point....image but wasnt AO one world for quite some time ?

If so Im not sure if it ever got to 100K users (doubt it) but maybe someone else knows ?

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• StukovStukov Member Posts: 180

Originally posted by Etaanaru
    Originally posted by Stukov
    I believe the general idea of this post was a fan of EVE Online wanting to bash Mythic, and he was proven wrong. Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against EVE or Mythic...but as stated above, plenty of games have had 100k + population. On 1 server? No, but who knows what might happen in a few years...Mmmmm...fiber optic net connections and bio-computers....mmmmm image

I've already got the fiberoptic...just need a bio-computer <_<

Anyways, I believe AO was at one time 1 world. But, I don't think AO had 100k subscribers...maybe 75k? Don't know any exact numbers

• Originally posted by TooL-D-

From the Imperator FAQ:
    Quote: " In the world of MMORPGs, nobody to date has proven that a game that both has hundreds of thousands of subscribers as well as one-world, can work."
    EVE Online proves that one "server" works for a future space based mmorpg.

*swaggers in...*

It is true no game has ever had 100k players online at the same time in the same game world. 

1. MMORPGs that have only 1 game world, are super rare in the first place.

2. The most players that can be online in the same gameworld:

- EvE Online - 50k. Since EvE has roughly 50k total players, and they have only 1 game world, then it stands to reason the EvE game DEVs have made sure it can hold all 50k players online at the same time... IF all of them ever were to login at the same time. Back when I was playing EvE, I remember their main site listing that the most players they ever had online at the same time was 19k players. 15k is a good roughly amount to round it to though.

- AO - 50k. It is true AO once had 1 server/1 game world. The problem is this was during its first year of release... AND... AO had a horrible memory leak bug that made AO 95% unplayalbe  for the majority of players. So AO was never able to test how many players could be online at the same time. AO had roughly 25k players online at the same. The AO game DEVs were posting for players to stop logging in, and later finally put in limits to how many could login in at the same time. There were litterally 1k players just in the capital mega city. No matter how high end your computer was, the game would move at 1-3 FPS whenever you tried running through the mega city.

At present time I've seen at most roughly 500 players in the mega city. Also AO finally took care of its memory leak problem. Right now AO is one of the best ever MMORPGs to play. By the time AO took care of its memory leak problem, many players gave up and stopped playing. And AO then opened its 2nd server (back then they were called "Rubika-1 and Rubika-2")

- SWG - During its first 4 months of release, EVERY single server/game world/galaxy was filled to maximum! Each server can hold 12k total players, and store 24k total players. So there goes the "theories" many people still pass around that no game has ever had more than 5k players online at the same time on 1 server/1 game world. Newer, modern MMORPGs use new technology in their databases, which allows them to hold 12k players online at the same time, in the same gameworld. On its 2nd day of release, SWG had roughly 200k players. 6 months after release SWG had over 330k players.  IF SWG had been designed to be a 1 world game, ya dang right SWG would have easily had more than 100k players online at the same time, in the same world. image

- EQ - It peaked at roughly 440k players. And yes, there were times when EQ had over 100k or more players online at the same time. But alas, EQ's servers/game world can only hold roughly 5k players online at the same time. Now if EQ had modern technology back then? IF EQ had been a 1 world game? EQ would have easily had 100k players online at the same time in the same gameworld.

- Strive For Power - The ONLY MMORPG with perma-death!!! It also has 1 game world/1 server that all players play on. AND get this! No one can ever log off! When you log off, your character still stays in the gameworld, but becomes a NPC! This is how many players sell items while they are offline heeh! SfP has roughly 10k total players. The most I've seen actually online LIVE, based on activity in chat, is roughly 1k players. So SfP continously has 10k players online at the same time, in the same game world.

- Runescape - 8k. They post the exact number of players on each server. It is one of the few MMORPGs in which every time you log on, you can play on any server you want with your same character. You can move around as much as you want, to any server, with your same character. The most players RS has ever had online at the same time, on 1 server/1 game world is 8k total players. Most of the time it is 5k players on at the same time in the same game world. Since players can server hop/game world hop, this makes it harder for RS to have maximum players on all servers. Players on purpose move to lesser populated servers.

•  It does not matter if a MMORPG is made up of 1 game world or 20 game worlds. (It is how many game worlds they have, not how they set each one up.... 1 server, 5 server clusters, 20 server clusters,etc....) The number of game worlds is what decided how many other players you have a chance of directly, or indirectly meeting and influencing.

What really matters is... is a MMORPG making enough money to re-coup its investment money? Is it making enough money to later on pull in a true profit?

Imperator or whatever its name its... should not be worrying about the numbers of players online at the same time in other MMORPGs that have 1 game world. They should instead be worrying about trying to get their game past the vaporware stage. Find a way to make their game as different as possible from the over saturated Sword & Sorcery-themed market.

Right now EvE is doing better than Imperator, SfP is doing better, and any other 1 game world MMORPG. image 

Back to the original post, technically Mythic is not lying. There never has been a 1 world MMORPG that has had 100k players online at the same time. BUT in a way they are not being fully truthful... because many MMORPGs have had far more than 100k players online at the same time (SWG for example, non-stop during its first 4 months of release.) but they were not designed to be 1 world MMORPGs. (SWG had 18+ worlds/galaxies back then.)

Imperator would be lucky to get 100k players period. Heck, 50k players period!

image image image image image image image image

-Personal Website (A Work still in progress):
    http://www.geocities.com/xplororor/index.html

-AC, AC2, AO, EQ, Freelancer, SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

-More SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/captain_sica_xol

-More EQ, Dungeon Siege, *UXO*, Diablo II:Lords of Destruction:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

-EverQuest II, Horizons:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_eq2archives01

-EVE Online !!!