Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics vs Gameplay, which do you prefer?

Yeah, so this seems to be a big debate i noticed after brousing through a few posts.  I just want your opinion and why you prefer which, and maybe some examples.  Oh, and dont flame saying, "theres 10 thousand other posts on this subject."  Im sure there a new memner who have joined since then who have not yet posted and have valid opinions.

Comments

• ZrazikZrazik Member Posts: 195

The answer is obvious, but it doesn't prove that AE has good gameplay, since that was your point.

• GalopagoGalopago Member Posts: 18
    This post has nothing to do with AE, so what If i play it?  Drop it already and if you have nothing to say on the topic of this post, please leave and take your spam/flames elsewhere.  Have a nice day.
  • Dantes77Dantes77 Member Posts: 106
    BOTH!!!!! damn man be fair about this. If I have a computer built and it is capable better graphics im gonna expect games with great gameplay and updated graphics. I can understand though if someone does not have a computer to run games with better graphics.
    Haha come on man.  Thats like asking would you rather have a case full of diamonds or a case full of gold...or 2 cases filled with both image
  • gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

That is one of the most obvious answers ever. If your referring to EQ2 being graphics, and WoW being gameplay, WoW is loved for gameplay, EQ2 is loved for both. EQ2 isnt loved for its graphics, they are just a nice addition.

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there

Well, think about it this way. For rpgs such as the isometric ones like AE hell look at neverwinter night thats Isometric and it uses 3d grpahics and it still kept the feel of the isometri games. Eye cand just adds a whole new experience, thing is though i understand where your coming from but if you have something that is capable of running more than what your using why not just expect the best? 

I mean think about auto assault with 2d graphics, or Eve online (beautiful game btw), or Planetside, you see in some cases id agree with you especially in the rpg genre but 3d graphics have brought to us different kinds of gameplay and immersion that wouldnt be capable with JUST 2d graphics. Gameplay is always an importance but so is graphics. When i played UO and wanted to see mopuntains and explore, i was dissapointed by these puny mountains that you couldnt climb or get the feel of how huge the area is. In 3d which DAoC was my first 3d mmorpg, I was amazed by how the immersion felt. There were mountains, water falls, 3d TREES lol, bigger and better looking monsters i mean gigantic ones that i never experienced, but the graphics were a PLUS the gameplay was awesome as well.

Imagination is a plus. But, 3d games inpires people just like star wars did when it came out with its awesome compositing and special effects. You get like a BOOM feeling when you see awesome visuals that are original and new, first of it shows advancement and a new way to experience things...ok im finished sorry

That EQ2 and WoW thing... actually I've seen both opinions about graphics. WoW is beautiful cause they've got great artists and WoW is ugly because it doesn't have enough polygons. EQ2 is beautiful cause of all their superior graphical effects and EQ2 is ugly because models looks like plastic dolls. Really, that are just opinioins, but EQ2 and WoW have both good graphics and gameplay so one doesn't exclude the other.

However lack of good gameplay hurts game more, and when game has outdated graphics it's not that bad but why play that crap when there are plenty of games with good graphics and gameplay.

Well how about mulling over this since most people seem to agree that gameplay is more ipmortant.  How can graphics enhance your gameplay and what are some of the downsides of each?  Personally, I think to much of each is very overwhelming for new players and they can be drowned in content.
    Zrazik your awesome man. Let me add though AE has great graphics, just like wow even though they dont have a great engine the artists to advantage of what they had to make it its best.

Well the only reason they can be drowned is by bad design and introduction. I mean if you have this computer more powerful then from the late 80s  would u still want a game quality like the original ultima games on this computer and with good gameplay, or both? im just being practical here, gameplay should be concentrated on a lot, but just as equaly as the look of the game. I mean why do u think computers advanced so much in the past years so quickly, it was because of games. People want original content.

Dont get me wrong though if you have a game with AWESOME graphics but bad gameplay people will realise it and not play it anymore because they realise something is missing, same goes for the opposite dont you agree?

• MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368

I'd just like to point out that when I tried DAoC, it was one of the most boring games I'd ever played. Including solo monopoly.

Anyways, Graphics Vs Gameplay? I'd like to answer your question with another question, Bob.

Heartbeat vs Breathing. Which would you choose?

BOTH YOU IDIOT.

The reason so many developers skimp on gameplay is because the increasingly better graphics are increasingly expensive. Developers cannot afford to innovate in both graphics and gameplay. Graphics are surefire, gameplay is a risk. With the cost of developing a new MMo approaching the cost of filming a Hollywood movie, Game producers are taking the same path as Film producers: sticking with the known product. Film producers follow a set formula in order to produce the highest profit margin with the miminal amount of risk possible. That's why you see so many crappy, run-of-the-mill, cliche movies. And that's why you see so many crappy, run-of-the-mill EQ Clones.

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

• GrouchoGroucho Member Posts: 100
    Graphics.  I don't spend $5000 annually on gaming rigs for "gameplay."  I'll only play the games that best utilize my machine.
  • Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

both. I still love the gameplay of AO, but the graphics make me gag.

I love the graphics of SWG....but the gameplay sucks ass.

It's hard to find a game that can cover both areas well, but I think some of the newer games, ie MxO, WoW, and EQ2 do it pretty well.

Then my definition of a great artist is different. AE graphics feel just average, nothing special, like you've seen it in every other 2D MMO, but at least they are able to keep up with standards from past years. Don't remember that game, but there was one with really awesome 2D.

But who cares, 2D graphics also limit gameplay since you don't have the freedom of a 3D world. So... 2D can be acceptable but it's just past.

Thats doesnt make me an idiot. i know how hard it is for developers to do both, but those 2 things are important. I dont see why you have to get personal about it. Take a look at spore on gamespy. that game is gonna start revolutionizing games. Gameplay and graphics wise.
  • MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368

How the hell do you spend 5 grand on a gaming rig? Are you insane, stupid, or getting ripped off?

Especially annually. Oh, I forgot another couple possibilities: that you're lying, or being sarcastic.

It pretty much has to be one of those 5.

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

lol hey misfit man if i attacked you in any way im sawwry I wont do it againimage

image Wait a sec did he say anualy?

Anyways galapago, to explain myself. Im a down the midlle guy in most things. Im like those aliencs from futurama on the planet neutral.

Advisor: "President they said they want a truce should we trust them"

President:" All i know is my gut feeling is telling me "maybe""

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Originally posted by Dantes77
    Thats doesnt make me an idiot. i know how hard it is for developers to do both, but those 2 things are important. I dont see why you have to get personal about it. Take a look at spore on gamespy. that game is gonna start revolutionizing games. Gameplay and graphics wise.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but gameplay and graphics need eachother, and there needs to be a balance in the two to be a great game. No one like a pretty game with awful gameplay. No one like a great moving game that burns your eyes when you play.
    Also NO, it is not hard for developers to do both, LMAO it is not like they go to work and say, "Well guys, we got to come to a conclusion. Gameplay or graphics"

hahaha side buster you dont need to be sorry read my other posts thats what i was getting at. You are agreeing with me. And, i totally agree with you. the only reason why i stated they were hard to do is because misfit explained it was hard for companies to cncentrate on both.  Lol im the one who put the second poll up that said "both" on it 
  • ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Here's the formula I always use:

Good Graphics + Good Gameplay = Great Game
    Bad Graphics + Good Gameplay = Good Game
    Good Graphics + Bad Gameplay = Pretty Game
    Bad Graphics + Bad Gameplay = Bad Game

You can decide where you want to focus your time, but I don't tend to play games unless they have good gameplay.

• sdoughtysdoughty Member Posts: 149
    im part of the minority, i choose my games from graphics, not always good graphics, just cool graphics, i c a game that looks nice, try it, then c if i lyk it, so games without good graphics dont get a chance to impress me

Toughest rater in the world
    Try to impress me, please, i dare u

• garrison13garrison13 Member Posts: 97

Hehe those AE guys are getting a bit of a hard time ::::01::
    Personally I'm a UO man myself, not found anything near it. Quite enjoy EQ2 which is graphically great but it's not a patch on UO.

• ObakeObake Member Posts: 25

I had the priviledge of my first 3D mmo being Lineage II. There was one thing that I loved about 3D graphics that 2D can't achieve. You can see further than the "screen" which you have in 2D. In a 2D game you can only see the area that is within that "screen" however in a 3D game you can see to the horizon.

I liked this a lot, since I pvp a lot. I find it annoying in 2D games when someone runs out of your "screen" and basically the battle is over. In a 3D game though your target can't just run out of the screen and be safe. It makes for an interesting gameplay.

Sadly however that's what I felt Lineage II lacked, gameplay. I played it for about a week and the gameplay was tedious and slow.

Once I upgrade my computer I plan to tryout WoW or Guild Wars (if it's out then). Maybe they will hold more promise than other 3D games I've played.

• HyoukanHyoukan Member Posts: 307

I dont think we really have to chose between graphics and gameplay anymore. For a game to come out with Diablo graphics is unexceptable except for small close knit communities. I mean, after playing WoW, and EQ II I can't go back to old MMO's like UO, or AO ect. Compared to either of these games the gameplay of older games seems horrendous. Only thing that makes me even think AO is a better game in ANY way than WoW or EQ II is nostagia, I'm sure we all get nostalgic over our first MMO's or the style our first's had.

But, when I resubscibe I just can't stand how it plays when I resubsribe.

My end opinion, we really dont have to chose, a game developer isn't gonna think "Hey, lets make this game that's like totally awesome, but give it NES Marion graphics!"