Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO going F2P?

2»

Comments

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Joliust

STO is like World of Tanks in space and should have started in F2P mode.

Hey now! World of Tanks is actually fun.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• Shooter-90Shooter-90 Member Posts: 100

To me, it looks like something they have up on the drawing boards for now. I wouldn't really expect it if it went well in F2P within the week. However I do see that trekkies get to play for free rather pay money for a what I assume is a laggy empty server. If it does work well, it's a good alternative to space combat. Better than ACE Online?

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

Originally posted by Hagonbok

Originally posted by Nesrie

So is this the new scheme in the MMO industry: release a game, rake in the box numbers, provid poor support and tiny updates to the point where the existing population leaves or just starts complaining about lack of content, wait a few months, then release it F2P and just grin happily that you were able to get people to actually pay the box price in the first place?

Well it's turning out that way for some yup. I don't think that was Turbine's plan all along, but I'm sure it's been Cryptic's all along. They had to have known that the crap they are trying to peddle wasn't going to fly. Cryptic has shown themselves to be completely without scruples about ripping people off over and over and over, and that kind of dishonest thinking is right up their alley.

What a horrible trend this would be!

I honestly don't think I would play STO in any form. I have heard/read an overwhelming flood of bad reviews of this game and those few who enjoy it really only do so for a short time (i.e. 1-5 hours). I remember one of the journalists on this site saying that game companies know when they have a horrible product on their hands and this really seems to be the case with STO. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I kind of buy into the idea that this was a garbage game which was released for the box sales then turned into F2P to milk it a little longer.

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

“I could easily see STO going into a hybrid model similar to what Lotro is doing. In that model, subscriptions stay as is - but you allow people to play for free but heavily limit what they can do - which in essence creates a robust way to demo the game and then if you want to keep playing, you either pay for every little thing you are interested in, or you subscribe and don't have to worry about it."

Hey, wait... what's the difference with STO now? You still have to c-pay for every little thing you are interested in... :|

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I always like smartass comments like this...ignoring the fact that majority of MMO market consists of F2P and item mall payment models.

Shoo shoo!

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by arcdevil

http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/Star-Trek-Online/news/Star-Trek-Online-Jumping-On-The-F2P-Bandwagon

new world record? it took DDO and LoTR what...3 years? and they are considering going F2P after 5 months?

talk about failing hard....

mmmm... tasty free to play....

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by Gdemami

I always like smartass comments like this...ignoring the fact that majority of MMO market consists of F2P and item mall payment models.

Shoo shoo!

Psst hey smartypants. Let me clue you in. K? You need to get a clue afterall.

The majority of the ASIAN market is F2P. The majority of those are games made on the cheap, everyone knows what they're getting when they are released, and they don't pretend to be anything more.

What Craptic has pulled is pretend to be a AAA title game when they had to have known they had a crap game, lie to the people waiting for the game to be able to rip people off for  life time subs and box sales, then pull a fast one and go f2p to save their arses. While screwing over all the lifetimers while they're at it. As well as scamming people by offering exclusives as rewards and such, and then when the incentive is no longer working, they screw those people over and sell what was supposed to an exclusive in the C-Store.

It's unbelievable that there's still people defending Craptic and thinking things will ever get better. I think when the sad saga of Craptic's mishandling of STO is finally over, it's only distinction is going to be one of the biggest proofs out there that P. T. Barnum was absolutely correct. There is one born every minute.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

The majority of the ASIAN market is F2P.

Asian?

If you look at the games released in localized English version and accessible out of Asia, I call it a 'western' market and then you could not be more wrong.

You might have your own preference what game is 'worthy' for you to even consider it's existence but that does not make it less real. Truth is, they are there and majority of them use different than subscription payment plan.

The rest of your post is written in same incorrect manner so I won't comment.

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by Gdemami

The majority of the ASIAN market is F2P.

Asian?

If you look at the games released in localized English version and accessible out of Asia, I call it a 'western' market and then you could not be more wrong.

You might have your own preference what game is 'worthy' for you to even consider it's existence but that does not make it less real. Truth is, they are there and majority of them use different than subscription payment plan.

The rest of your post is written in same incorrect manner so I won't comment.

You can scramble to spin it as much as you want, but the facts are the facts. Most western made mmos are intended primarily for a western audience, and are subscription based. It's not a matter of me deeming anything worthy. The makers of those eastern games ackowledge exactly what they are. They're quick and easy to make, have very little unique content throughout the entire game, and most (if not all) of the content is grindage. That some offer an english version doesn't mean they're made for a western market. Here's a hint for you. Most of the games that do offer an English version usually only do it a year or two after the Eastern release, sometimes more. Most don't though.

There's nothing wrong with them being f2p either. I don't mind me some free grinding now and then. The point is they're not trying to rip people off by starting out pretending to be something different. They're not doing a bait and switch. Heck even Turbine isn't. Their games have at least been out for a considerable length of time. They had decent runs as sub based and have given their subscribers, both monthly and life time, their money's worth already. Craptic hasn't with STO.

• knapuknapu Member Posts: 131

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by bastionix

Even Blizzard is talking about F2P. P2P companies don't want to lose part of the cake to F2P. Only way to compete with F2P is to make your own game F2P.

Or make them good

Never heard of blizz thinking about f2p and they want even consider this crap .

FIrst of all f2p is a korean payment based crap for small companies , there are no stable cash income everymonth so they cant alow gm support in game regular updates etz like in the subs based games.Sub based games got big funding unlike f2p.

Game companys that are trying to make a clone of wow are ment to fail anyway .Seeing how many milions subs has WoW a company makes clone that want do crap.Trying to steal players from other games lol.

First of all a good game is unique on its own way and it will get totally new players like WoW did or EvE

A good game is a good game and a bad one will fall going from sub to f2p doesnt change to muchit will  be crap as it was before only the new wave of those f2p fans will have to discover what many others before them allread had

Im personally waiting for 1 game to come next year and its SWTOR after seeing all the videos from e3 and following the game fw years now i can tell this is a game thats gonna be a bomb in the mmo industry

I am the punishment of God...
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you
    — Genghis Khan

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

I think most of us that recognize the biblical failure of this game figured they would consider going F2P sooner rather than later, but this is even sooner than I expected.  The game was so content barren, I'm wondering what kind of ridiculous restrictions they could put on F2P players to get them to play the game for more than a few hours without having to buy content from the c-store.

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by knapu

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by bastionix

Even Blizzard is talking about F2P. P2P companies don't want to lose part of the cake to F2P. Only way to compete with F2P is to make your own game F2P.

Or make them good

Never heard of blizz thinking about f2p and they want even consider this crap .

FIrst of all f2p is a korean payment based crap for small companies , there are no stable cash income everymonth so they cant alow gm support in game regular updates etz like in the subs based games.Sub based games got big funding unlike f2p.

Game companys that are trying to make a clone of wow are ment to fail anyway .Seeing how many milions subs has WoW a company makes clone that want do crap.Trying to steal players from other games lol.

First of all a good game is unique on its own way and it will get totally new players like WoW did or EvE

A good game is a good game and a bad one will fall going from sub to f2p doesnt change to muchit will  be crap as it was before only the new wave of those f2p fans will have to discover what many others before them allread had

Im personally waiting for 1 game to come next year and its SWTOR after seeing all the videos from e3 and following the game fw years now i can tell this is a game thats gonna be a bomb in the mmo industry

A couple of points here, kemosabe.

First off, while the decision to not provide any sort of GM support for their products *may* be tied to money, it's more of a decision made in the design process. Imagine, if you will, if Ford engineers and management decided "eh, we're not going to put air conditioners in our cars any more. We'll need less salespeople because of that, and we can just lower the price some." My thinking is more along the lines of a lot of companies deciding that it's a feature and/or luxury item that is optional in their products.

I'm not sure that WOW's success will ever be replicated, regardless of how "good" a game is.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• corvenikcorvenik Member Posts: 75

i was probably thinking they were gonna do the WaR shit where u can play free forever that demo bs they are doing type of thing or was that AoC? idk one of those games where u dont have 10 days only type thing

• oddjobs74oddjobs74 Member Posts: 526

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

I think most of us that recognize the biblical failure of this game figured they would consider going F2P sooner rather than later, but this is even sooner than I expected.  The game was so content barren, I'm wondering what kind of ridiculous restrictions they could put on F2P players to get them to play the game for more than a few hours without having to buy content from the c-store.

Pay for pvp. And, charge you in the C store for the playable race of the space retards. Those guys from the TNG episode where they get Geordi because he is smart and he can make them go. Free to play, just kill 5 rats, or groups of rats in space ship suits over and over again.

This is the only logical thing I can see them charging for, as its the only thing that makes the game an mmo. Well, I guess they could charge for the borg instances and stuff they added.

• dirtyklingondirtyklingon Member Posts: 158

i have to say some f2p games i've played had great GM presence and daily GM run events and such.

STO wasn't worth 15$ a month. they really should've charge $10. they'd prbably have more subs now if they did that.

i wonder what they would have to do in terms of restricting/making current content cash store items if they did go f2p, considering the rate and quality of post release content. i mean they claimed at launch that they had almost entirely been focused on creating content for the whole 2 year development of the game and yet it clocked in about 50-60 hours including repeatable grinding you are forced to do at every tier.

i wonder how they would handle LTS's given that they seem to be the only ones left from launch.

KERPLAH!