Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will Mr. Smart learn?

FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

He continues to blame David Allen for all of Alganon's current woes.  He also continues to make it sound like he alone is going to save the game.

http://www.alganon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5138-is-it-worth-it/page__view__findpost__p__43810

This was my response that was quickly deleted

===============================================

Just a couple suggestions.  

1) There's no need to continue bashing Allen publicly, that message has been sent.  And frankly, this ship is yours now and has been for a while.  It will succeed or fail based on your actions.

2) You spend too much time saying "I" and not enough saying "We".  If people are turned off by the Smart persona, at least letting people know that the QoL plan is a team plan might give proper credit to your team.

3) You've tried the argument of Algnanon's value at $19.95 many times.  This is a MMO, Alganon will succeed or fail based on it's population.  You also seem to ignore the even better value of F2P games. 

Comments

• AzerinAzerin Member Posts: 170

In that thread you linked, Mr.Smart has linked one of his blog entries about David Allen:

http://www.dereksmart.com/2010/06/a-pattern-of-conduct/

In that blog entry, Derek Smart says this about David Allen, and I quote:

"This coming from a guy who had never – ever – shipped a decent game, let alone a successful one."

-------------------------------------------------

I am writing this from a hospital bed as I am being treated for the two broken ribs I suffered due to laughter after reading that line.

• JergisJergis Member UncommonPosts: 38

-David Allen had more people interested in buying and supporting the game than Mr. Smart ever will.

That's a fact.

Or, at least, as much of a fact as anything else Derek posts and bold-text exclaims to the few people reading.

QOL as a team deserves the credit for keeping subscribers/purchasers/supporters, not Mr. Smart. They did it despite him. Until he gets over himself, the game will not be the financial success it could have been. The best front men in rock and roll know when to give on-stage props to the band. Mr. Smart seems to think he's alone up there and that everyone wants to read about his immature dislike for Mr. Allen time and again. That train has sailed.

David may have lied to the business folks, community and company mates. David may be a lifetime felon, master of disguise, and evil mastermind out to corner the market on puppy mills. I dunno. But i have no reason to believe Derek is telling the truth either. He's given us nothing to think he's any better, with the bravado and the schoolyard bully-inspired treatment of the 5 active posters still in the game. Anonymity on the internet is a double-edged sword, to borrow a phrase. He can pretend all he wants, but the yelling just makes us think he's a frustrated and sad individual who cannot get over the fact many people like David Allen more than him. Even if he lied to us. Because David was at least nice about it.

Ultimately i just kinda wish people here would stop posting about it. I don't think derek deserves the attention his Lebron James-sized (and even less deserved) ego gets him online. He seems to think when he's talking at you he has more money than you (he doesn't) or that his business is more successful (it isn't) and it's that attitude that just screams to me to let it die.

Jergis

• ElmarollyElmarolly Member Posts: 60

The scary part is that he is making a MMO and he forgets that all those people that he shows no respect to and thinks we will just fork over money to him or any thing that he puts his name to. Are the ones that read the garbage that he posts. And most gamers these days expect to be treated with some respect.

So I doubt he will learn anything from this. But who knows....

You are right he does think he has so much more money then us gamers and tends to throw it into our faces every chance he gets. But then most people that respect the law and others pay their taxes and such. Not like Mr Smrt.  Do a little research into the PUBLIC Broward County court records and you will find some fun stuff. And yes those records are his and are all made for the PUBLIC to see.

Take care and have fun

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

No no no . this is super entertaining.

I love to see how he maintains a MMO with like less than 10 people online every nite. Sooner or later, something is going to give, and it would be fun fun fun watching him spinning a train wreck.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Careful now.  He's known to show up on these forums.  He's been known to include some mighty threatening undertones as well.

• ElmarollyElmarolly Member Posts: 60

That is all that he does is send out threats. Kind of like what most bully's do. I mean if http://follies.werewolves.org/  has been online for as long as it has. You got to wonder what his so called legal department are doing?. Oh wait, anyone can sign so and so legal department at the bottom of a letter

There is so much public information out there that anyone can find so much inforamtion on anyone. That it is pretty darn scary.

But if you were in the public eye, would you not at least try to act professional and respectful. So people have no reason to look up shit on you when the idle mind starts taking requests from the devil?

Elmarolly Legal Department.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

He's certainly read this thread.  Soon after posting this he had my forum account banned.  He has little to no patience for reasoned debate.  I'm just not sure why he's pushing his own customers away by telling them population isn't an issue.  It's better to admit there's a HUGE problem and say the team is aware and have plans to address it.

Converting to F2P with a store is too late now.  He claims some sort of value to the customers and ignores the fact that they're selling an MMO.  QoL doesn't even have the smarts to consolidate their servers.  Just put everyone on one server and start running lots of GM events to get people that bought the game to actually play it.

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195

hello all, I started playing Alganon during closed beta. It was gfame with some potential, but if you want $ 40 for client and $ 15 monthly sub it means that you are trying to compete against WoW, Aion etc and "some potential" is not enough.

I must admit that there are some things I don't understand in this game:

why 2 factions if there is no pvp? It would be smarter ;) not to divide so small population (20 ppl online > 2x 10 ppl online)

why the game costs $ 20 for client? How many ppl will buy it? Imo it should be free with item shop only (if it was free some ppl could play it and the population may grow)

why delete posts/ close topics? It is good short term solution but nothing more

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Qazz

Careful now.  He's known to show up on these forums.  He's been known to include some mighty threatening undertones as well.

Bring him on.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Ah, that D. Smart guy.

His 1st post that was an announcement for taking lead regarding the Alganon project was a pretty cool one: straight, no-nonsense, and he wasn't afraid to say things right out instead of some vague comments as you often hear game company representatives make.

But then he quickly screwed that image up with his neverending rants against David Allen and his crusade against a number of players and forumposters. The passion and persistence he's targeting David Allen with you'd almost think Allen screwed his wife repeatedly while he was still in the house himself.

Just find it curious that anyone at QoL or Smart himself think it's good PR to be the forumbully and to keep flaming people like Allen who're long gone now.

I think Alganon would draw more people in if the atmosphere created by Smart and other QoL people on their and other forums would be more inviting and constructive.

Then again, I'm also aware that no matter what you do, there'll always be people criticizing anything you do, willing to see only the negative in your actions you take and comments you make as a game director.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I find it strange how much Derek Smart bellyaches about David Allen ruining the company and the game.  How he has only been in charge a short time and little has changed. 

On the other hand he had no problem marketing what he thought was a piece of shit and barring how little he has actually changed he doesn't seem to mind saying how great the game is for 19.95.  

So either David Allen left Derek Smart a decent game to market or Derek Smart doesn't mind selling people a terrible game.  There is no way Derek Smart doesn't come out of this situation as a snake oil salesman.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Derek Smart, moving on like a grown up:

"... when Allen - in his infinite wisdom - released the game in an incomplete state back in Dec 2009."

"the game (and company) were all but dead - thanks to that remarkably incompetent tool, David Allen..."

".. David Allen also thought he knew wth he was doing. Right up to the point where he drained the company's resources, then systematically ran both the company, game and team off a cliff. Then had the nerve to cry foul when I [legally] kicked him right out of the company in order to save both it and the game. Yes, for the time being I'm going to keep bashing him..."

All of this in reply to a new player inquiring about the state of the game. Like the poster knew or even cared who the heck David Allen was. I do love checking in on this game to see this fine gentleman at work.

Originally posted by PhelimReagh

Derek Smart, moving on like a grown up:

"... when Allen - in his infinite wisdom - released the game in an incomplete state back in Dec 2009."

"the game (and company) were all but dead - thanks to that remarkably incompetent tool, David Allen..."

".. David Allen also thought he knew wth he was doing. Right up to the point where he drained the company's resources, then systematically ran both the company, game and team off a cliff. Then had the nerve to cry foul when I [legally] kicked him right out of the company in order to save both it and the game. Yes, for the time being I'm going to keep bashing him..."

All of this in reply to a new player inquiring about the state of the game. Like the poster knew or even cared who the heck David Allen was. I do love checking in on this game to see this fine gentleman at work.

This coming from the guy who released the biggest laughing stock of the gaming world, Battlecruiser 3000AD, years before John Romero released the turd Daikatana and almost knocked it off its shitty pedestal.

Maybe  Derek can come in and reminisce about how he was run off when he thought he'd get the Freespace license.

FreeSpace licensing

Smart was reported to be seeking to license the FreeSpace IP to develop a game based on the popular space-sim previously published by Interplay.[11] This sparked a controversy between Smart and FreeSpace fans. Gamespot reported that "Following Bethesda Softworks' acquisition of the Fallout license earlier this week, word spread that cash-strapped publisher Interplay is having a franchise fire sale.[11] The rumors of Smart's involvement started when he posed the question, "Would you buy Freespace 3 if I made it?" on the Adrenaline Vault forums. In the next paragraph, though, Smart clarified his supposition stating that he was only "seriously considering" licensing the FreeSpace engine. However, the very possibility of Smart taking over the series generated a strong reaction, prompting a heated exchange between Smart and FreeSpace fans. The controversy was further discussed in a Slashdot article.[12] In a 2007 All Games Radio interview, Smart stated why he decided to stop pursuing the license and instead start a new (Galactic Command) franchise.[13]

From the Slashdot article:

"Derek Smart (of Battlecruiser 3000 AD PC space-sim fame) has started a thread on the Adrenaline Vault forums stating that he is looking into buying the Freespace rights from Interplay and building his own Freespace 3. (For those of you who have not heard of Freespace, it is a space shooter developed by Volition Inc. and Interplay in 1998, which has received almost univeral acclaim.) Discussion has turned particularly ugly following Derek Smart's post on the main Freespace 2 fan site. In addition, he has threatened to shut down the Ferrium Project (an open-source project meant to replace the aging engine of Freespace 2) if he gets the license. To quote Derek: 'I have FULL intentions of getting this license. If I DO get it, you and your teenny leetle friends on your Ferrous Oxide project, are effectively, shutdown because I don't piss around when it comes to IP properties'."

Of course, Derek also won't come here to explain why Alganon is now a ghost town AFTER he took it over, why it had more players BEFORE he took it over, and why there have been NO real improvements made AFTER he took over. So far, the only thing Derek has managed to handle halfassed competently  is to pay out refunds on HIS broken game.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-

• IgorchtIgorcht Member UncommonPosts: 82

For the record, I'm not defending Derek Smart; he's definitely acting like a complete jackass and from what I've read he's spent a lot of effort blaming David Allen and not a lot of effort outlining how he's gonna fix Alganon...

But David Allen is the brilliant genius who thought releasing a game that looks and plays exactly like WoW, down the the Warriors with Rage, the Barrens, Elwynn Forest... and the planet used the be called "Asheroth", only without any of the charm or polish was a good idea, and then was dismissive of any critcism that his game was just an inferior WoW clone (worse even than RoM, and at least RoM is F2P).

Not only did he think that releasing the closest thing to a WoW clone to ever exist was a good idea, but he honestly believed he could charge premium prices for it (40 dollars for the client and fifteen bucks a month thereafter).

David Allen really left Smart a huge mess of a game, and Smart is probably in charge because this is the only job he could get and no one else would touch this piece of garbage.

Alganon should be renamed Alganon: The Lolocaust.

"I am the weapon that strikes/In the hearts of men I thrive/Feeding their fear with lies/I will devour/I will divide/I am the god of hellfire/inside every man there lives a liar/before their gods they cower/I will divide/I will devour" - "Divide Devour" by Iced Earth

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

This coming from the guy who released the biggest laughing stock of the gaming world, Battlecruiser 3000AD, years before John Carmack released the turd Daikatana and almost knocked it off its shitty pedestal.

Hey, now, we don't want to tarnish Mr. Carmack's good reputation with misinformation like that, do we? :) John Romero made Daikatana, not John Carmack.

And frankly, as a bit of a FPS junkie back then, I didn't think Daikatana was so unforgettably, historically bad. Just was not worth the wait. 

OK, ending derail, go on. :)

Originally posted by solarine

This coming from the guy who released the biggest laughing stock of the gaming world, Battlecruiser 3000AD, years before John Carmack released the turd Daikatana and almost knocked it off its shitty pedestal.

Hey, now, we don't want to tarnish Mr. Carmack's good reputation with misinformation like that, do we? :) John Romero made Daikatana, not John Carmack.

And frankly, as a bit of a FPS junkie back then, I didn't think Daikatana was so unforgettably, historically bad. Just was not worth the wait. 

OK, ending derail, go on. :)

You're right , I edited it. Romero didn't make noone his bitch with that game, that's for sure.

Mr. Carmack, if you read this, i sincerely apologize.image

• Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

I don't think that you can even get a physical copy of Alganon in Sweden if you ever could so just make it a free download with a cash shop.

Time is ticking.

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

There never have been any physical copies.  Always has been a download.  You purchase from their site and download.

• Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

Oh, I didn't know that since I just played the beta and it was free but they should go F2P with a cash shop in order to save the game.

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by Mellow44

Oh, I didn't know that since I just played the beta and it was free but they should go F2P with a cash shop in order to save the game.

I do believe they did.  All you have to do is buy the game, and it is subscriptionless with a cash shop.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Originally posted by MadDemon64

I do believe they did.  All you have to do is buy the game, and it is subscriptionless with a cash shop.

Which noone in their right mind who has read ANY website will do. When Mellow44 says F2P, he's referring to free to download and play, no cost except for the cash shop. Frankly, i doubt that could even save the game, since who is going to want to throw money at an asshole who insults them?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by MadDemon64

Which noone in their right mind who has read ANY website will do. When Mellow44 says F2P, he's referring to free to download and play, no cost except for the cash shop. Frankly, i doubt that could even save the game, since who is going to want to throw money at an asshole who insults them?

It is not like Alganon is worth playing WITHOUT the insults. If I want to play a f2p WOW clone, there are plenty of better ones out there (say ROM, or ALLOD). If i want to pay money, i would stick with WOW.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

It is perfectly fine to have your own opinions, please convey them in a way that is not intended to offend another user on our forums. Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.