Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interior Customization and gameplay, Crushed RP dreams.

2»

Comments

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

im still waiting for them to do like evony and have hot girls in green paint popping up all over the interner asking for you to come captain your own starship and save them.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Haha, those were obviously cutscenes.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by raistalin69

im still waiting for them to do like evony and have hot girls in green paint popping up all over the interner asking for you to come captain your own starship and save them.

evony add girl- "Oh.. Rear Admiral Lower Half... won't you come and save me?"

Sto captain -"Uh... let me see here... this isnt a diplomacy mission so I think im supposed to kill you... sorry" 

evony add girl- " But Rear Admiral Lower Half... why can't you just decide for yourself?"

Sto Captian- "Because STO was designed to ignore the ideals of the federation and be just a pew pew game...."

evony add girl-" Oh I see Rear Admiral Lower Half.. so you have no other choice?"

Sto Captian- "No... sorry... im going to vaporize you now..."

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Prepare to fire Mr. Worf...

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

Theres nothing wrong with being a fan of MMO's, just dont add RPG at the end of ones that are not.

Show me a true RPG MMO... just one. You can't becuase there is none. MMOs by thier nature are actually pretty lkimited in RP potential. Whats worse is the players tend to discourage RP. I am always amazed at the amount of hate a real RPer gets when he plays an MMO.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by fistorm

In the interview where the dev says that the engine is already made and they are starting to look at customization of the interior and might not be ready by launch is a  strong signal to me that the bridge and other parts of ships are not even a critical role in this rpg and will be missing the very core of what RPG in StarTrek is.

Please do not call this an RPG, call it an action StarTrek online game if your gonna call it anything. The reason I say this and think many will agree, is because RPG means we can be on a bridge of a ship or part of a ship with other people roleplaying on that ship, and working together on one ship, not as many ships flying around unless each ship is a grp in a raid.  You lose the role play when you start to look outside the ship for the roleplaying, Role playing is inside the ship with friends and other members of your ship with a sense of communtiy of people, not ships, working together, again unless in a raid for example when the entire federation teamed up to take down the borg.

I would like to have that feeling of a grp of people of about five people or so making up everyone on the bridge of the same ship, working together, where success through encounters is dependant upon each persons job on that ship.  People who are not grped can have thier very own shuttles.

Unfortuantly the last hope I had for this coming true was the online game, and now its pretty much gone. So it looks like I will be waiting for a company to come along and make this someday still. 10 years and still waiting.

I tend to agree with the op that Star Trek online is not an mmorpg but a mmo action game, but I also disagree with the entire sentiment of this game needing to be one ship with a player crew.  I think with different design elements that could work but the truth is it would make it more of a niche game than it is now as a hybrid action/space sim.  But again in the op's defense it doesn't help when the roleplay tools are put on the C-store for extra money in addition to sub fees.

At the end of the day Cryptic has done so much wrong with this game that to me the fact that they included what the op feels is this design flaw is pretty much a moot point it's like getting beat up in a fight and getting up to angrily yell at the people who laughed at you getting beat up.

My thoughts on STO as it is designed is as a game worth playing let alone even subbing to wouldn't be worth it until atleast a year or two down the line.  What I am loathe to say but must say though is it seems that as of the season 2 news the updates are starting to look like they should have always looked, like they atleast have a plan and an idea of where they want the game to go (which is sad because it seems they are basically using the paying subs to actually make the game) which means other than the plain two pieces of wonder bread and cheese they had no idea what they wanted to do which afain doesn't bode well for the product at all.  The best thing Cryptic could do for those out there who still like the game is adopt the f2p model with the C-Store which is never going away as I'm fairly certain is where they have made most of there money.  Maybe then the well deserved criticism can be curbed some.  Until then fans of the game you guys need to get some thicker skin and maybe avoid forums like this dedicated to gaming opinions, while I would rather you all let this game fold I don't come into your glowing posts about STO (if you can ever find any) and troll your posts so I think you all need to offer the same courtesy to those of us who feel burned by Cryptic and STO.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by fistorm

Maybe now that STO was a failure, we can have this kind of game?

Thanks.   BIOWARE,  Star trek should give the next license to these guys.

I hate to tell you Bioware wouldn't make the Star Trek game you seem to be pushig for either as it is just a lose/lose model.  Is your crew a dedicated crew? As in is it always the same people manning those stations?  And what happens when both the tactical officer and the engineer are on vacation?  And who is going to decide who is going to be the captain (which really sounds like the most boring job of them all).  The fact that mmo's have been moving further and further away from the group design is a clear sign that not many devs will embrace this idea of needing to depend on other players to round out your own gaming experience.

Someone else mentions that they have talked about adding quests that will utilize this feature which is a step in the right direction for those of you who prefer this gameplay style, to appease you though I'd think maybe they should add a sector that works this way where all the quests in that sector worked that way but considering that it is taking this long for them to add Klingon content how realistic is it to think this is an option anytime soon?

I think this game has so many problems that this is just not worth being concerned over for now because fistorm I think you'd agree that as STO is made if they added player crews it would still have some very serious problems to address.

My thoughts is they need to fix the C-Store policy which if you noticed they have been adding slight changes to which is not a good thing as it leaves all kind of wiggle room for the pr stunts that have been pulled so far and then work on the depth of the game with true diplomacy,exploration, and better fleshed out crafting.  Some depth to your bridge officers would also be appreciated too.  These issues to me are far more pressing than the player crew issue because these are the gameplay elements which are bland no matter if we all have our own ship or are flying five to a ship.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....