Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crashes? Beware! WiFi Connection officially not supported!

In short, "Live Chat" confirmed that Wi-FI connections are not supported by  Pirates of the Caribbean Online.  This is not explained under "Minimum Requirements"

This may be old news to some but I was very suprised.  I installed the game for the first time a couple of days ago so I could play with my nephew.  Before the jail was even done loading I had my first crash.  I didn't think much of it and retried.  I then had crashes every 5-10 min as I rushed through creating a character and opening tutorial.  I could not get past the canon practice.

I read through all the completely useless "support" and FAQ's on the official web site.  I even tried reinstalling, adjusting screen resolution and lowering the video settings (mostly in despiration since my PC had no problem running WoW & GW's on high settings).  Finally I gave in and decided to contact the Live Chat.  That's when I was told if that if you rely on WiFi, you're out of luck.

I just can't believe they would cut out such a large segment of users.  I would think Disney could afford developers with the nessicary skills.

Here's the transcript (Names Changed):

The initial submission was:

The game crashes every 5-10 minutes

SERVER:Customer is waiting for Response...

TECH: Hello Mark.

MARK: Hi there :)

MARK: thanks for your help

TECH: I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. I see you describe the game crashing every 5 to 10 minutes. Is that correct?

MARK: yes, I recently installed the game for the first time

MARK: and it has not let me play greater than 10 min without a crash

MARK: I could not find much on the website in regards to this issue

TECH: Do you use a wireless connection?

MARK: yes

TECH: That is the most likely cause of the disconnects you describe.

TECH: Wireless is not supported by Pirates, and causes this exact issue.

MARK: that's unfortunate

TECH: As the first troubleshooting step, please try connecting to your router using an ethernet cable, and then trying to play.

MARK: and this causes the whole game to crash? not just a server disconnection?

TECH: Lossing connection to the server causes the game to crash.

TECH: Can I help you with anything else today?

MARK: ah got ya, no I'll give that a try.

TECH: You're welcome, and thank you for choosing Pirates Online Chat support.  Have a great day!

MARK: thanks you too [TECH]

SERVER:Agent has closed chat session.

edit: my horrible spelling

Comments

• BeaumanBeauman Member UncommonPosts: 142

Four people in my home play PoTCO.  Three of the computers use a Linksys wireless connection.

Not once have they crashed in the month they've been playing.

*shrug*

• SlimBonesSlimBones Member Posts: 4

You're right, "not supported" doesn't mean it won't work just that they didn't bother to make it compatible with 802.11x standard. I just wanted to post this because it was very frustrating trying to figure out the issue for my self. I saw all these threads about random crashes and nobody once mentioned that wifi was not supported.

I just hope that they're going to do something about it soon... if anyone else is having this problem they should write an unhappy letter like I did, lol. >.>

• Lady_FeiLady_Fei Member Posts: 17

The game crashes alot on or off wifi. It's loaded with an unreasonable amount of glitches, bugs and exploits.

I suspect that tech guy was just blowing smoke, as instructed. Typical of nearly all tech support, to blame you, and your PC.

This game should still be beta. It is nowhere near being ready for the commercial market.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I feel sorry for you having so much problems with a game. Is an ugly thing when you want to play something and have fun and you can't, but wireless conections are pure sh**, really. I understand not everybody can throw cables across their house, but nothing is perfect.

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by Lady_Fei

The game crashes alot on or off wifi. It's loaded with an unreasonable amount of glitches, bugs and exploits.
    I suspect that tech guy was just blowing smoke, as instructed. Typical of nearly all tech support, to blame you, and your PC.
    This game should still be beta. It is nowhere near being ready for the commercial market.

Lol that's what I said when they first released this game and kept saying it for the few months I played. The game should still be in beta, but you know how money hungry disney is, they pushed it out the door atleast 6 months early just so the people caught in the pirates craze could sop it up and sadly it worked. Oops I hope Disney executives don't show up at my doorstep anytime soon for me posting this =/

Seriously though with a big Empire like 'Disney' they could've made a WAAAAY better game than this.

Yeah I think they don't support a certain wifi connection. I had wifi and managed to play it until I got a new part installed in my computer that basically was incompatible with my current wifi so I had to buy 100 foot cables to connect things to my router. It doesn't matter either way I still got the same amount of crashes or disconnects with as my wifi. Everytime I tried to get on a boat atleast 8/10 times I would get disconnected or it crashed which got extremely frustrating.

• Schutzy121Schutzy121 Member Posts: 58

Wi-fi connection is bad for your internet because there are 2 or more devices trying to get internet and sometimes they interfere with eachother just like if you bump heads with another person. It could cause crashes while not playing a game either.

YOU JUST GOT SCHUTZED

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Originally posted by Schutzy121
    Wi-fi connection is bad for your internet because there are 2 or more devices trying to get internet and sometimes they interfere with eachother just like if you bump heads with another person. It could cause crashes while not playing a game either.

I dont want to sound cruel here but Wi-Fi for me is the next best thing to sliced bread. I use it everywhere and certainly use it for all my mmos. So dont diss my Wi-Fi for god sakes, they might end up taking it all down for me or something nasty after reading that its bad for your internet.

• Schutzy121Schutzy121 Member Posts: 58

If you use a router it's wose

YOU JUST GOT SCHUTZED