Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anything really changed in EVE Online

CasualGamerCasualGamer Member Posts: 55

I played about a year and a half ago. Though I did do some PVP and I don't mind it I generally liked being a space trucker, as crazy as that sounds, and exploring. Problem I found was EVE's economy is purely military industrial. No one needs to eat, or buy a house or be entertained beyond vaporizing newbs so the market is just military items or items that will help you or someone else build weapons of a sort. No one truely dies so wars are fought endlessly with no motivation beyond a killboard (peace has no value as there is nothing to do in peace time). I realized that trucking goods across the galaxy probably meant I was in some way supplying those who would one day blow me up. I tried trucking civilian goods but in the end it meant nothing to anyone if I brought medical supplies to a station in a .3 system or whatever. Try as I may I couldn't find anything positive to do in EVE, it was all wars and silly politics, alts creating loopholes in the game and isk scams.

I know EVE has gone through a number of expansions with new features. How much has the game changed or is it basically the same old, same old, just with new window dressing?

Comments

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

When did EVE get a new window dressing?

EVE is a game about war and it doesn't sound like EVE is for you.... although most games are about war in some way or another.... so um........... 

You can trade, trade goods. That's about 99% NPC though. There are a few things that are used to run POS's and what not, but usually when you trade it's just NPC to NPC. Pretty good ISK, if you know what you're doing. I don't do it anymore, but a couple years ago I had a few instances where I made a couple hundred mil in an hour. Lucky runs, but it's still usually good ISK.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by CasualGamer

I played about a year and a half ago. Though I did do some PVP and I don't mind it I generally liked being a space trucker, as crazy as that sounds, and exploring. Problem I found was EVE's economy is purely military industrial. No one needs to eat, or buy a house or be entertained beyond vaporizing newbs so the market is just military items or items that will help you or someone else build weapons of a sort. No one truely dies so wars are fought endlessly with no motivation beyond a killboard (peace has no value as there is nothing to do in peace time). I realized that trucking goods across the galaxy probably meant I was in some way supplying those who would one day blow me up. I tried trucking civilian goods but in the end it meant nothing to anyone if I brought medical supplies to a station in a .3 system or whatever. Try as I may I couldn't find anything positive to do in EVE, it was all wars and silly politics, alts creating loopholes in the game and isk scams.

I know EVE has gone through a number of expansions with new features. How much has the game changed or is it basically the same old, same old, just with new window dressing?

For your purposes, it's pretty much the same. There are some new ways to do the military:industrial thing, but that's pretty much the basis of the game.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166

Yeah if you want activities that cant be connected to warfare you'll probably have to wait for Incarna.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

there is no profit in food,  certainly not enough to pay for an entire spaceship, let alone spaceship modules, stations and planetary structures.

I suspect thought that you would love planetary interaction!  Do a 14day trial before you re-sub and check it out.  not very profitable though.

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166

Originally posted by sadeyx

there is no profit in food,  certainly not enough to pay for an entire spaceship, let alone spaceship modules, stations and planetary structures.

I suspect thought that you would love planetary interaction!  Do a 14day trial before you re-sub and check it out.  not very profitable though.

Planetary interaction is still supplying warfare in the end though (although I cant see why that is such a big problem)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I'd have to say no to the OP's question. EVE is and will always be at its core a PVP game where all game mechanics either directly support the war effort or indirectly are a form of PVP themselves.

I can't see CCP ever adding in mechanics as described where you are rewarded by NPC's for delivering food to a station outside of the mission running system. (thought that is a good point, industrilal missions have you hauling goods all over the place for isk rewards, but no real impact on the game world of course)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by Kyleran

I'd have to say no to the OP's question. EVE is and will always be at its core a PVP game where all game mechanics either directly support the war effort or indirectly are a form of PVP themselves.

I can't see CCP ever adding in mechanics as described where you are rewarded by NPC's for delivering food to a station outside of the mission running system. (thought that is a good point, industrilal missions have you hauling goods all over the place for isk rewards, but no real impact on the game world of course)

Maybe in time, Avatars can bring some of what the OP wants. I would definitely love to see that. 

But, we're still looking at another  5-10yrs before that really comes to reality.