Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Auto-subscription billed.

2»

Comments

• EmperorBeldEmperorBeld Member Posts: 101

Originally posted by tsukts

Originally posted by EmperorBeld

Did you check your account at the mortal main page?  Did you make sure that is was set to cancell/do not renew?  Why not give more information, then just the email?  How about post the infromation from the account page.  To me it seems to be a set-up.  Because nobody ever make up stuff on the internet.   

Huh, I haven't even set up a subscription for this game. So what would I gain by setting up people on this forum? All I did was pay the game digitally to own it for the future(I got it while it was on sale). And played few days Open Beta.  I haven't even logged on for months, and they magically think I'm gonna play out of the blue, by charging me without my awarness.  I set up a subscription when I want to play, kthx.

All I have done is posting a warning. This might of happend to others aswell.

So, you dodge my questions.  So, bought the game.  Star Vault sent out the e-mail stating at release.  If you want to end your sub you had to switch it to "cancel".  Which was post on this website as well.  So, in the end you did not check to make sure you would not be charged.  Even with a month of warning for you cancel your sub.  You come here, and only post one e-mail showing that you got charged.   You paid for the digitally which I believe had a free month with it.  Why would pay for it if was in Open Beta?  I am throwing down the bullshit flag on this one.

Problem viewing newsletter? Click Here

Mortal Online Customer Information

June 9th 2010

Auto-subscription

Today Mortal Online goes live!

You are receiving this email because of your Mortal Online pre-order purchase. The initial free month you received with your game purchase begins today, and regular billing will begin one month from today.

If you do not wish to auto-subscribe, please log into your account [Link] and cancel the option.

We also want to formally inform you about the new TOS, the Naming Policy, the EULA and the Reimbursement Policy.

All of which can be found on mortalonline.com.

image image

Copyright 2010 Star Vault AB Legal Information

All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

You receive the newsletter because you signed up for it on our website.

Your data will not be shared with 3rd parties.

To unsubscribe from this newsletter, please click here.

Please use [email protected] to contact us.

Star Vault AB - Vaestergatan 18A - 21122 Malmo

imageimageimage
  • tsuktstsukts Member Posts: 164

To bad I never recieved this email, and I don't go on a website of a game I do not intend to play for a good while.

I showed a pic of all my emails I've got from SV.

but again,

http://a.imageshack.us/img251/4305/mortals.png

I didn't even think of this game before I saw this email this morning.

• FreedomBladeFreedomBlade Member UncommonPosts: 281

Sorry but if you did not even bother to check if you had subscribed for a game you bought then it is your fault. If you buy or pre-order a game you expect to be paying a sub.

If you even dare ask for a charge back or whatever nonsense the little kiddies using their daddies credit cards are doing now then you are fail x 2.

OP needs to sort himself out and stop whining like a baby girl.

• KingMeroKingMero Member Posts: 21

Did you check your account at the mortal main page?  Did you make sure that is was set to cancell/do not renew?  Why not give more information, then just the email?  How about post the infromation from the account page.  To me it seems to be a set-up.  Because nobody ever make up stuff on the internet.   

Huh, I haven't even set up a subscription for this game. So what would I gain by setting up people on this forum? All I did was pay the game digitally to own it for the future(I got it while it was on sale). And played few days Open Beta.  I haven't even logged on for months, and they magically think I'm gonna play out of the blue, by charging me without my awarness.  I set up a subscription when I want to play, kthx.

So, you dodge my questions.  So, bought the game.  Star Vault sent out the e-mail stating at release.  If you want to end your sub you had to switch it to "cancel".  Which was post on this website as well.  So, in the end you did not check to make sure you would not be charged.  Even with a month of warning for you cancel your sub.  You come here, and only post one e-mail showing that you got charged.   You paid for the digitally which I believe had a free month with it.  Why would pay for it if was in Open Beta?  I am throwing down the bullshit flag on this one.

June 9th 2010

Auto-subscription

You are receiving this email because of your Mortal Online pre-order purchase. The initial free month you received with your game purchase begins today, and regular billing will begin one month from today.

If you do not wish to auto-subscribe, please log into your account [Link] and cancel the option.

We also want to formally inform you about the new TOS, the Naming Policy, the EULA and the Reimbursement Policy.

image image

imageimageimage

Not everybody singned up for newsletter you know

Originally posted by FreedomBlade

Sorry but if you did not even bother to check if you had subscribed for a game you bought then it is your fault. If you buy or pre-order a game you expect to be paying a sub.

If you even dare ask for a charge back or whatever nonsense the little kiddies using their daddies credit cards are doing now then you are fail x 2.

OP needs to sort himself out and stop whining like a baby girl.

Use some more standard lines, Sir?

And, Sir. I cancelled my account. Then they auto renewed it without sending a proper email. I never signed up for newsletter, so I never knew they would auto sub.

Well I'm done fighting the forum gladiators for today.

Originally posted by KingMero

June 9th 2010

Auto-subscription

image image

imageimageimage

Not everybody singned up for newsletter you know

And that is Star Vault's fault?  Because, People were to lazy to make sure nothing would happen.  I do not about you, but I like watch my money.  So, I would pay for somthing I no longer play.  Even if stopped playing month it would take like 5 min once a month to check your account information. 

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by HerculesSAS

Originally posted by rhinok

You may not have "set up a subscription",. but you definitely said you "cancelled my subscription", which means you were at least aware there was a subscription, whether you explicitly signed up for it or not.

~Ripper

Whether he was aware of it or not is kind of irrelevant -- SV started to bill people without their consent, and this was mentioned months and months ago that it would happen.

Now it appears that it *has*. And as was stated earlier, there will be a lot of chargebacks in the coming weeks, because I don't see SV responding to refund requests.

Generally when you preorder a game you get the first 30 days free, but to do so you have to give them your credit card information up front for automatic renewal. If you don't cancel your account BEFORE the end of the free month, it's standard practice to bill you for the subsequent month.... Maybe I don't understand the problem clearly, but it seems legitimate to me.

I think the guy is just a troll and he has failed here at least.

Anyway looks like he has given up.

Originally posted by jawali

there are always fanboys who protect their favourite game in every situation...What devs are making is below some standard and I think that many ppl will reconsider playing this game cause of this situation...

No the devs have not done anything wrong and it is not fair that they should have their rep lowered because some guy could not be arsed to cancel his subscription. It is hardly an money to moan about anyway....

Talk about a fuss over nothing.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I think the guy is just a troll and he has failed here at least.

Anyway looks like he has given up.

Now his story has changed again.  Funny how that works...

~Ripper

Generally when you preorder a game you get the first 30 days free, but to do so you have to give them your credit card information up front for automatic renewal. If you don't cancel your account BEFORE the end of the free month, it's standard practice to bill you for the subsequent month.... Maybe I don't understand the problem clearly, but it seems legitimate to me.

Thing is I did cancel the game, before I left it alone, and this was in FEBRUARY. And all of a sudden I got this email.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

And that is Star Vault's fault?  Because, People were to lazy to make sure nothing would happen.  I do not about you, but I like watch my money.  So, I would pay for somthing I no longer play.  Even if stopped playing month it would take like 5 min once a month to check your account information. 

Yes, it is SV fault. Such important information should not be send in a shitty newsletter but be mailed to the registered email adress on the game account. If there is no sub when I test the game, I do not expect gaming company pulling a scam trick on me and enabling it later on, or atleast warning me about it in apropriate manner.

If you think there is nothing wrong with enabling auto-sub without a proper warning or mentioning it in TOS, I can't help that you dont understand the basics of business and how professional companies should behave.

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

No the devs have not done anything wrong and it is not fair that they should have their rep lowered because some guy could not be arsed to cancel his subscription. It is hardly an money to moan about anyway....

Talk about a fuss over nothing.

Devs haven't done anything wrong? I believe it is normal when you buy something, you are informed you are buying a subscription aswell. A lot of people bought a game+ 30 days of gametime, not a subscription. Informing with the help of an email that a lot of people don't receive due to a spamfilter is really professional.

You really want to talk about money??? Maybe you have enough money to go around, but I certainly know people in my family who could use every cent I give them. Also I like to give to charity, there are still children dying in Africa. So you're telling me that SV is also a charity and if I don't give them money, flies will land around their eyes, their bellies will swell up and photographers of Reuters will take their picture hoping to win a prize? 

• furidiamfuridiam Member UncommonPosts: 137

I highly doubt the change in the TOS would affect him if he did not originally agree to that TOS. If you purchase a game with no sub "option" they cannot change the TOS after you have purchased it and do auto renew without you accepting either the TOS or the subscrtiption itself.

In your newsletter it says they have changed the TOS and are putting the sub on auto renew.

From the way you guys are defending SV they can just go change the TOS again send out a email saying they are activating the auto renew again and you will have to cancel again just because they changed there TOS.

A TOS is pointless if someone does not accept the change.

Look at WOW, when you log in if there is a change to the TOS you have to accept it before you can play the game. If you choose not to accept it you are then kicked out of the log in screen. This is true for all games.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Originally posted by Nevulus

So its SV's fault that they set everyone to auto renew that bought the game, just like EVERY other MMO does?

No, but it is SV's fault for not mentioning they will do so at the start, giving false impression that you will not be auto chraged when you first bough the game during closed beta. All other companies put on the sub as soon as you buy the game, so you know it is there. However when it aint there first few months, and then appears, yes, it is wrong.

Originally posted by Toferio

Yes, it is SV fault. Such important information should not be send in a shitty newsletter but be mailed to the registered email adress on the game account. If there is no sub when I test the game, I do not expect gaming company pulling a scam trick on me and enabling it later on, or atleast warning me about it in apropriate manner.

If you think there is nothing wrong with enabling auto-sub without a proper warning or mentioning it in TOS, I can't help that you dont understand the basics of business and how professional companies should behave.

There was a warning in an e-mail, on this website, on Mortal main website, and there was a whole month time for people to cancel their subs.  So, information was not sent the way you wanted to be sent.  Of, you could have check the Mortal's main site for information.  You do not expect,  you should have made sure that did not.  By checking your account every once in while.  I fully understand how business operate.  And understand that I need keep up on game I pre-order, and that I am not playing any more.

Yeah I fail cause I cancelled my account in february. And now at release they reactivate it without sending me a email stating they did so.

• furidiamfuridiam Member UncommonPosts: 137

Originally posted by Toferio

There was a warning in an e-mail, on this website, on Mortal main website, and there was a whole month time for people to cancel their subs.  So, information was not sent the way you wanted to be sent.  Of, you could have check the Mortal's main site for information.  You do not expect,  you should have made sure that did not.  By checking your account every once in while.  I fully understand how business operate.  And understand that I need keep up on game I pre-order, and that I am not playing any more.

Actually if you look at there email it is a "newsletter" which you have to subcribe too. If it involves a billing issue that should go to the email account listed when you purchased the game. Which would still be shady to set it to auto renew if the option was never there.

Also you guys defeninding this. are you nuts? Every game i have purchased came with a cd key which i then input when i want to start my game time/free month. I have never purchased anything that started my free time automatically and i have played almost every mmo p2p out there.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

When the preorders started for this crappy game way back before open beta, you needed to setup billing info for the eventual subscription, but there was no subsciption plan at the time. Then they added the subs and set them to auto renew before the beta was over, without mentioning it really at all. That right there is not the norm and pretty damn shifty. I have never had to set up account billing info for any MMO I have ever preordered or played in the beta, until release. The billing account for subscriptions never happens until the day of launch when you install and/or activate the RETAIL COPY, or at least it works this way for pretty much all other MMO's. Not for Starvault though. I have never had to setup a subscription billing account before the damn game was released prior to MO, not even for games with the early headstart for preorder.  I call shenaningans on Starvaults entire billing process and what appears to be bullshit tactics on the part of MO.

I really wanted MO to be a good game, but it was such a letdown that I will  never go back to it...even it if survives longer than 6 months. Even during the beta I kept thinking it would get better by release time...how wrong I was. I have no faith in Starvault anymore.

• LiquidWolfLiquidWolf Member CommonPosts: 516

June 9th 2010

Auto-subscription

----------------------------------

This wasn't a newsletter.

They used the email attached to the account that purchased the game. Individuals were informed their free month was starting, but the option to cancel the subscription was available before June 9th.

1. You did not cancel your subscription when the option became available.

or

2. You are one of the very few people in the world who did cancel their subscription when the option became available, and somehow got reactivated.

Individuals in my guild who canceled their account before release did not get charged... so which is it, 1 or 2?

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

Originally posted by LiquidWolf

June 9th 2010

Auto-subscription

----------------------------------

This wasn't a newsletter.

They used the email attached to the account that purchased the game. Individuals were informed their free month was starting, but the option to cancel the subscription was available before June 9th.

1. You did not cancel your subscription when the option became available.

or

2. You are one of the very few people in the world who did cancel their subscription when the option became available, and somehow got reactivated.

Individuals in my guild who canceled their account before release did not get charged... so which is it, 1 or 2?

No offense, but what if he never got the email? What if it got marked spam?

SV is not entitled to retain your credit card information without telling you. When people bought the game, they didn't know that their credit card was being kept on file for subscriptions. The people that have left the game a long time ago and moved on are not paying attention to anything Mortal Online -- they may has well marked all mail from them as "Junk" because they don't want to bother with the game any more. SV didn't tell the pre-order customers they were going to get subscribed, nor did they say they were keeping their credit card on file.

And if you're in the EU, there are actually consumer protection laws that FORCE you to let your customers know of what billing practices you have. This ninja billing -- and that's exactly what it is -- is actually illegal. Now whether enough EU residents step up and talk to the police or consumer protection agencies in Sweden is a different story, but the chargebacks alone from this action actually risk StarVault from losing their merchant accounts -- not to mention, they have to PAY BACK the charges on the chargeback. It's a boneheaded move on a business level, and it's unethical to boot.

• ChirugaiChirugai Member UncommonPosts: 304

Please continue your discussion regarding auto-subscriptions here. Thank you. 

Fortune favours the bold.

This discussion has been closed.