Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ASHEN EMPIRES

Yet another thread. I would like to know what problems people have with my chosen game....and what you would do to improve it.

Seems like there are some bitter individuals on this site...so I would like to hear your educated opinions.

Comments

• TheWarcTheWarc Member Posts: 1,199

Originally posted by Jackgrey

Yet another thread. I would like to know what problems people have with my chosen game....and what you would do to improve it.
    Seems like there are some bitter individuals on this site...so I would like to hear your educated opinions.

So, whats your point then?
  • MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368

Oh, for F***s sake. I've never even played the game and I already hate it. If this thread isn't trollbait, I dunno what is.

Look, here's the deal: Those people who are interested in a game in the style of Ashen Empires have probably already tried it and made their decision. Those who are not interested in a game like Ashen Empires probably aren't going to try it. This game isn't new, it isn't groundbreaking, it's just another in a long list of niche games. Some will like it, the majority won't.

Provoking arguments over the game is just silly. There's not a whole lot to discuss. If you think the game has that much of a following, petition the MMoRPG.com staff to give it it's own forum. Otherwise, give it a rest.

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

• ChorseryChorsery Member Posts: 22

I see several threads on EVE, several on WoW, several on SWG - all discussing various aspects of those games, pro and con.

I still don't understand why a discussion of a 'niche' game is out of the question here.

Seems Jackgrey was asking for a critique by other players, an open-ended question about the merits or lack there of, of a game listed on this site as one of the better ranked games, based on the assessment of nearly 100 pollsters.

imo, it's a fair question and certainly within the rights and perview of this website which seems to be dedicated to facilitating discussing the merits of various commercially available mmorpg's.

Why this seems to get under the skin of some here is beyond me.

• markbaranovmarkbaranov Member Posts: 27

Just leave it, anyone who wanted to check out the game allready probably did, if they got a problem with us trying to get the game to others attention its their problem, and they probably wont even bother checking the game, because they keep dissing us.

I really dont care if anyone new will come to AE thanks to the posting here, we have a nice number of players allready, alltho everyone is more than welcome to come and check the game, but if you wont, I dont give a damn, my nerves are too precious to be wasted on a bunch of negative attitude flamers that try to sink every thread we make for the sake of being irritating and trying to make the game look bad because someone wanted to advertise about the game. 'Nuff said.::::01::

• ZrazikZrazik Member Posts: 195

The problem with AE is that it can't be discussed in a normal way. Once a thread about it is started, it becomes flooded with fanbois spawned from their boards. They like to hijack threads and spread misinformation. Just like you still keep mentioning that screwed up rating.

If they haven't spammed our boards, no one would have problems. But since they did, the bad smell is still around. Just give it a few days, so when everyone forgets about it, you will be able discuss it just like other game.

edit:

Haha, just as I was writing this, one of them appeared with a newly created account. They've screwed their reputation and keep doing it.

Originally posted by Zrazik
    Haha, just as I was writing this, one of them appeared with a newly created account. They've screwed their reputation and keep doing it.

Excuse me? New account?? Its been over a year since I have that account... Open your eyes look at the year, perhaps I never posted, doesent mean I havent been here a long while. And isnt it funny, just as he thinks someone is a fanboi, he disses again, and no, we didnt screw our reputation, why you still keep that thought in your mind eludes me.

Yeah, you've created account a year ago, but wasn't posting until your community lead you here. Your first post was today, wasn't it? Stop your drama, you are no more just a troll here.

Not really, I was here alot reading about different games, I only took a stand because this was unbearable to see my friends getting flamed by certain people... Its pretty much useless to try and say im trolling, because all I do is try to take a stand with my friends from the game, something you shouldnt even care about, since you hate the game so much, but never mind that, if you cant figure that yet, Im not the one who will enlighten you.

I hate your crappy community because they organised a spam fest on these boards.
    Even seen this?
    http://www.ashenempires.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1874

That's true that I don't care about that game, but you and other AE community rejects continue posting crap.

edit:
    But don't stop posting, arguing over internet is my favourite cheap entertainment.

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

Originally posted by Jackgrey
    Yet another thread. I would like to know what problems people have with my chosen game....and what you would do to improve it.Seems like there are some bitter individuals on this site...so I would like to hear your educated opinions.

I'm not going to troll, but I will answer the question. For me, it is 3d. If they made the game 3d, there is a much better chance I would give it a shot. I like being able to go first person view, and the more character customization the better. Graphics aren't everything, but they sure help with immersion. Of course, being 3d wouldn't be any guarentee I would try it either. There are tons of 3d games I haven't tried and don't plan on ever trying. Take WoW for example. It has very good graphics, is supposed to have good game play, and is new and very popular. But the graphics are too cartoonish for me, and I doubt I will ever try the game.

The AE graphics style was great when I was playing Gauntlet at the local hang-out in high school. It was great when playing that old D&D game on my Sega Genisis. And it was really cool playing those old nameless computer games on my dad's 386, but they are just a bit dated for me now, especially if there is a monthly fee involved.

So, while graphics aren't everything, they are a part of the equation that makes a game fun for me. Just like not having a persistant world means I will likely never try guild wars (even though it has some great looking graphics).

image image

I wish there were more posts like the one posted before me, that give reasons why they would like certain games instead of bashing like some people do.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that info with us, Im sure most of AE players know about that that many people would choose better graphic games in comparison to inferior graphic ones, but why not give our game a try, sometimes graphics isnt everything, the gameplay matters alot more, and while AE isnt the fanciest game around, it is for sure better than some games, the graphics arnet that bad even, and most of all they help you see the surrounding area, while in first person view you cant see what beyond the near mountain.

With that said, I guess you can see first person view isnt the best allways, and while AE isnt 2D, its isometric, giving it special view most games dont consider, kinda beetwin 3D and 2D, so you still can see nice animation of walking and fighting compared to 2D, and its clean and nice view not that wont be so detailed you cant see the main things on the screen.

EDIT:
    Well, it came to my mind that I really dont care about any flamer from now on, Ill just ignore them and reply to only the nice people here, since nothing the flamers will do wont stop me from playing the game or trying to do best for the game the way I see it, and the way I see it is to talk about it and get it to other people attention, we know most of you wont even bother looking at it, but im refering to the ones who would and are open minded. The flaming war must stop from now on.

• deidesdeides Member Posts: 197

on a Constructive note...

AE doesnt have any player housing, and no player vendors.
    The music is great, the gameplay is also good, and so are some of the quests, but the price is also a lil high (maybe do it at 7.99/mo and more ppl will come) id rather pay 4$ more and get a 3d/more recent game.

• JackgreyJackgrey Member Posts: 15

The problem with AE is that it can't be discussed in a normal way. Once a thread about it is started, it becomes "flooded with fanbois spawned from their boards." They like to "hijack threads" and "spread misinformation". Just like you still keep mentioning that screwed up rating.If they haven't "spammed our boards"", no one would have problems. But since they did, the "bad smell is still around". Just give it a few days, so when everyone forgets about it, you will be able discuss it just like other game.edit:Haha, just as I was writing this, one of them appeared with a newly created account. They've screwed their reputation and keep doing it.

The problem lies with some mmorpg.com forum members. YES. There were some younger players that came on and attempted to initiate dialogue about the game. That is no reason to flame the community as a whole.

We have screwed our reputation? That is personal opinion. The game was a 7.3 before ANY thread was made on our forums discussing it. So what if a few people have come over and registered on this site because of an interest in seeing our community grow.

MMORPG.COM is "YOUR headquarters for MMORPG's!"

RoC #1 - You may not transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, ABUSIVE, HARASSING, DEFAMATORY, vulgar, obscene, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable content.

Referring to our community as a bunch of "trolls" and "fanboi's" is NOT abiding by the rules of conduct set forth on the home page of this site.

I did not come here to argue. I created an account to discuss MMORPG's. I happen to pay and play ONE MMORPG. I have played it for nearly 2 years now. So why is any game "outside" of these standards and rules that are set forth?

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Not be crude to either side here but I have had my share with deleting posts in these Ashen Empire threads. Keep this one clean, or I will lock it.

If the people at Ashen Empires want some Advertisement, why not pay for a weeks worth of Advertising on the main page with a;

FREE WEEK OF PLAYTIME ON THE HIGHEST RANKED INDIE GAME, ASHEN EMPIRES.

I myself would be willing to try it out if that were the case ::::28::

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

Yeah, you've created account a year ago, but wasn't posting until your community lead you here. Your first post was today, wasn't it? Stop your drama, you are no more just a troll here.

Once again...flaming. I do not see how MMORPG.COM would have a problem with him posting because his community led him here. Troll? Flame.

::::08::

Zrazik. Please take the time to actually communicate in a friendly manner. If you can not? Then why don't you live by the old adage someones Mother told them long ago.

I highly suggest you dont provoke it either Jack ::::28::

Originally posted by deides
    on a Constructive note...AE doesnt have any player housing, and no player vendors.
    The music is great, the gameplay is also good, and so are some of the quests, but the price is also a lil high (maybe do it at 7.99/mo and more ppl will come) id rather pay 4$ more and get a 3d/more recent game.

Heya Deides.

From what I understand? There are some plans down the road for adding construction. The game switched hands from the original dev team-->TKO Software :/--->Iron Will Games. In that time there were many periods of stop-development. I myself would love to see some small and efficient method of player construction added to the game. It would create some new tradeskills as well as give more use to the Carpentry/Milling/Lumberjacking skills that already exist and have use.

Player vendors has been an idea that has been tossed around alot. I personally would like to see it go into the game with small-scale construction. Maybe guilds building their own castles/towns and stocking the storefronts, setting prices, etc. I do not see this coming any time in the NEAR future though.

I have always thought that the price of the game is fair. Considering the media is available by free download. That saves 40-50-60 dollars off of the top. But I do see your point. Charging less for any service in life will always help. Just doesn't help those that reap benefits from the bottom line! :)

With all the above said, I think we will have a nice and clean thread, or atleast I do hope so!::::28::

Ohh and killer, why dont ya go and try out AE, perhaps you will like it.::::01::

Originally posted by killerTwinkie
    I highly suggest you dont provoke it either Jack ::::28::

Not a problem killertwinkie. ::::32::

(off-topic) What would it cost to run a banner ad on the main page? Does anyone know?

[email protected] would be the best person to talk to, as I dont know the specifics myself

• Dantes77Dantes77 Member Posts: 106

Why are people getting so emotional over a game..? *sigh* Um well if i have anything worthwhile to put in this coversation (it will proabbly be better than the flame fest) IMO it has nothign to do with "cool graphics" its gameplay usually. Yes, the group of people came in to praise their game, but you guys need to cool it. Everybody is acting like someone THEY DONT EVEN KNOW over the internet is attacking their integrity and egos. who gives a flying (oh no)... No one has anything to prove just play the damn game

edit: people need to act like proffessional critics instead of little kids saying my daddy will beat up your daddy or YOU CHEATED blah blah blah

Try and understand people in these forums are fans of the MMORPG genre itself not just any game thats in it, try and be one yourself or at least even out the playing field. Start first by stop calling each other names thats a good one

-Dantes77 the rant man

• sog3nsog3n Member Posts: 40
    omg, not another one image

"Touch me. I'm hawt!"

• Dantes77Dantes77 Member Posts: 106

yeh...im such a bad person sog you should hang me on a cross. lol lighten up man im not attacking anyone or the ashen empires league or some of the sluts here in mmorpg.com(contradictions rock). I just think people need to lighten up a bit. Ashen Empires is a good game though i like it. Thing is im not paying monthly fee for any game anymore so sorry. Im taking a league of absence for rightnow. And, honestly now i dont see why people have no imagination if they play 3d games, in any game that has graphics to represent a charecter in a game or story means no one has an imagination or lack there of, but im wrong anyway everyone has an imagination but if someone wants to be hardcore about it they should play D&D!!!

The last part of that paragraph was for someone who keep insenuating that everyone has no imagination or a true joy for games if all they do is play 3d games. Its just a personal prefrence man just like your personal preference for 2d.

Edit: Woops hey sog did you mean omg not another thread about ashen empires or omg not another one indicating me on the post before you....i think i might of misunderstood

<3

Srry i have to edit a few things sometimes so i can purposely piss, offf teh grmmr nazies...

imageimageimage
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

I haven't played AE yet, probably never will.

I'll only say 2 things about graphics:
    1) As long as it isn't japanime style 'toons' and as long as the world is realistic looking I can live with just about any quality of graphics. Hell I cut my teeth on text adventures and tabletop RPG's like D&D, MAGE, VAMPIRE, etc as a kid. Anyone that thinks you MUST have good graphics for a good game is just a tool.

2) 3D is generally an indicator that the graphics quality is higher, it has no indication of how *good* a game is. UO is still one of the best games out and it's 2D.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• GichinGichin Member Posts: 11

I played this game as Dransik in beta and kind of enjoyed it.  Community kind of sucked though.

The invasion of the Ashen Empires threads is pretty annoying sales tactic.