Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Software for creating MMORPGs?

DrSawDrSaw Member Posts: 81

I've heard that there is software available for people to use so that they can create their own online RPGs. Does anyone know much about this? If so, what software is any good?

Thanks.

DrSaw

Comments

• brian72282brian72282 Member UncommonPosts: 783

Nevrax released the source code for the engine that runs SoR. I recommend that. Has a guide and everything.

• psydexpsydex Member Posts: 187

Torque Engine is by far the best to work with. You can license it for about 100-120 bucks and share your profit with them for a certain amount of time if you make a successful game. The community for torque engine is wonderful with people making ever improving advancements on the engine every day. I haven't checked out the SoR engine, but Torque is the best i've worked with.

Cheers

• malo7000malo7000 Member Posts: 126

Look up Playerworlds
    a rpgmaker type just online

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Originally posted by malo7000
    Look up Playerworlds
    a rpgmaker type just online

No, just no.

• LightSlayerLightSlayer Member Posts: 182

I want to make a MMO now =/

edit: torque or navrax?

---------------------------------------------

• psydexpsydex Member Posts: 187

Originally posted by LightSlayer

I want to make a MMO now =/
    edit: torque or navrax?

Torque, the script editing for torque is actually very simple.
    Is it ok even if you have NO engineering backgrounds?

• TheWarcTheWarc Member Posts: 1,199

You have to know something about scripting first lightslayer,
    You can't just make a mmo in one week

Well, was sort of wondering if it was like World Edit from Warcraft type, oh well

• BigMastaBigMasta Member Posts: 29

damn are you serious....first of all you gottta start a mmorpg from scratch.....programming..3d modlingingame spriting...mapping...and all the things....dont rely on some mmorpg maker...

go to www.freewebs.com/thebluelake

Well I am sorry if I am not in college yet and still in high school and they don't teach C++ there and secondly we just want to have a bit of fun and see what we can do......moron >.>

• OwynOwyn Member Posts: 337

Some suggestions:

NeL Engine (Nevrax): Made the Saga of Ryzom game. Very possible to make another with it - there are several games underway with this engine. Free (open source). Requires very strong coding skills to do anything at all with. Nevrax is gradually improving support for this engine with better documentation. If you have the money, they'll even go to your site and set it up for you, teach you how to use it and how to add content and such.

CrystalSpace: Engine that runs the Planeshift game. Requires a decent level of C++ skill to do anything with, BUT there is a decent community built around it, and you can get some experience volunteering to help with Planeshift. Open source.

Torque: Costs $100. There is no additional license or profit share anymore, until your company is over some fairly high amount in income (think it's $500k iirc). Very strong engine, will be upgraded soon with the Torque Shader Engine, which is close to on par with the very best pro engines out there. However, Torque is NOT easy to learn to mod the code from - requires strong C++ skills. It has a great scripting language that IS a good beginner system, however. And a great book that helps teach how to make games with it (3D Game Programming All-in-One, by Ken Finney). On the down side, it is based for FPS games, and mods to anything else with difficulty. On the up side, GarageGames has already released a RTS pack to help make those games; and is working on an MMO pack to help fill in the missing MMO bits. Great community too - one of the best game dev communities out there. Adellion is being made with this engine...

RealmCrafter: Still in beta. In a few months, when this releases, this will be the premier "a want to make an amateur MMO-type game" engine. There are also at least 4 pro or semi-pro teams I am aware of making games with this engine right now (in beta). Using Blitz Basic for the root code (like Freeworld) limits the upper end of the engine's graphical ability, but makes the source code version (which can be bought, once it goes gold) incredibly easy to extend, in theory (Blitz being a very easy language for a novice to learn). I absolutely predict that this will become the primary tool used by hundreds, maybe thousands, of people to make little "MUD-like" games; it's also going to spawn a few dozen/score small, ATITD-type games which cater to specific niche audiences, or perhaps larger games like Runescape. Blitz code is certainly capable of producing games that match or exceed Shadowbane, ATITD2, Runescape, Anarchy Online, Horizons, or other similar "below top tier" graphics. Not a click-together like some "MMO-Makers" in the past, and one to watch for.

Best two, IMHO, are Torque or Realmcrafter.

Owyn
    Commander, Defenders of Order
    http://www.defendersoforder.com

• BigMastaBigMasta Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by LightSlayer
    Well I am sorry if I am not in college yet and still in high school and they don't teach C++ there and secondly we just want to have a bit of fun and see what we can do......moron >.>
    well whatthe hell your going to have at least a bit experience in c++ language...and 3d modeling..and still be able to get a server to make a a decent mmorpg...
    and who the hell you callen moron

go to www.freewebs.com/thebluelake