Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FF11,..... will it get eaten by its offspring?

RiboflavinRiboflavin Member Posts: 44

I played ff11 for maybe 2 weeks before i joined a game a friend was playing, never went back. I truely know very little about the game, but have been seeking something new to do for months.

With ff14 coming out, is it worth it to start ff11? Will ff14 be the killer of ff11?

Comments

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

Wait for FFXIV.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Originally posted by Hrayr2148

Wait for FFXIV.

Agreed, the game comes in September and you just know every FF nerd on the planet will flood to it.

Full Sail University - Game Design

• PlutonicwoesPlutonicwoes Member UncommonPosts: 343

I know a lot of FFXI players who plan on either playing both, not playing 14, or playing 11 on and off.

I don't see it going any where any time soon, but if FFXIV is super great, who knows.

A lot of people have been working for 6-8 years on their FFXI account, and they simply don't want to leave that work.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

Here (14) is the long-awaited "WOW Killer" coming

Which is why WOW is timing their next expansion appropriately

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Pretty sure 11 will still have a decent amount of people left, but most players will at least try 14.

As for FFXIV being the long awaited WoW killer... I highly doubt that.  They're targetting 2 different type of players.  Anybody who played 11 knows it's nothing like WoW.  I don't think they will stray too far from the first game.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Originally posted by Plutonicwoes

I know a lot of FFXI players who plan on either playing both, not playing 14, or playing 11 on and off.

I don't see it going any where any time soon, but if FFXIV is super great, who knows.

A lot of people have been working for 6-8 years on their FFXI account, and they simply don't want to leave that work.

I'm sure when the thought of falling behind on the new game settles into their minds they'll drop FF XI quicker than a hot potato

"Hmm do I stay in an old game where no one in their right  will join as a new player or do I swap over to the new FF game that all those new players will be flooding to?"

Hard work means nothing when there is no one left to play with... or new players to show off too

Full Sail University - Game Design

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

Originally posted by bleyzwun

Pretty sure 11 will still have a decent amount of people left, but most players will at least try 14.

As for FFXIV being the long awaited WoW killer... I highly doubt that.  They're targetting 2 different type of players.  Anybody who played 11 knows it's nothing like WoW.  I don't think they will stray too far from the first game.

If you have been reading the forums the last couple of years here you will see that WOW players are looking for something different.  The strategy for Blizzard, of course, is they are being hooked by the WOW expansion coming out

• kickpuncherkickpuncher Member Posts: 33

wish SE will give us offter like

pay 20$ sub for both

cuz i dont see myself leaving ffxi 100% but that just me

my punches are as strong as kicks

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Honestly, I seriously doubt FFXI will be leaving the scene any time soon. Those interested in an FF themed MMO played FFXI, those still interested in an FF themed MMO continue to play FFXI. FFXIV from what I've seen, read, and know from discussing it with a fairly large chunk of FFXI players is that it really isn't different enough. Fairly similar limitations as it's predecessor, same generally style and feel, some things that many cherished about XI seems to be lost in IV. 

In my humble opinion, which is just an opinion no matter how it's worded or taken, is that FFXIV isn't going to see the retention that XI saw. It will get many that wish to try it and for the most part I seeing the majority of those that try it after it launches going back to FFXI. 

It's like a good old movie, they can remake it but most people will come away saying they enjoyed the original better. This is especially true if the difference in the 2 is mild, meaning they are largely the same thing, one just being an updated version of the original with better special effects. 

Not only that but, regardless of who's fault it is, FFXIV not being playable on the 360 will hurt sales a great deal and limit the number of people that make the switch on it's own.