Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online... A few questions

ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

Just made an account with the 14 day free trial offered by this site (I love you, MMORPG.com). Downloaded and everything. I run it, get to the login screen. I put my information in. I notice that all the servers are "incompatable." I realized this is because I am not patched. I try to connect to the main server, and it says I must patch. It offers me a few different servers to patch from. I choose a few different ones each time I try to do this. But each time I do, it appears to freeze up at the "Patching..." screen.

Any ideas to help?

And also, any information for someone just starting?

-Machiavelli

Comments

• PasomattPasomatt Member Posts: 221

Dont?
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Well since it's a 14 day trial go for it
    but:
    Pay attention to how boring you find it. If you feel like it's starting to get kind of repetitive after the first week or so that's because it is. The game is monolithically boring.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by Elnator
    The game is monolithically boring.

It can be.

It can also be a huge thrill ride. There are many layers and facets to the game, and it has the steepest learning curve for any game I've ever played.

But I will agree with anyone that would say it won't be for everyone.

• MrPopovMrPopov Member Posts: 217

Go here and patch your client before logging in. The patch servers are terrible.

Also when you get in. Look up "Mr Popov" I'll give you a lesson or two and some starting ca$h::::39::

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

How can I tell what my current build is? Trying to figure out what patch path to use in that huge sea of patches. :/

-Machiavelli

[quote]Originally posted by rentantilus
    [b]Don't listen to any of these morons who claim that Eve Online is boring. It's a game for people with at least average IQ, and these instant gratification children with short attention spans will never figure it out. Read this to dig right into the action:
    [url=http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm?load=forums&loadClass=35&loadForum=51&loadThread=20214][/b][/quote]

Actually it's a game for some folks and not for others. Some people *gasp* find it boring. Just like some people find EQ boring or WOW boring or any other MMORPG boring. I find EVE Boring because I don't enjoy a space game where I can't actually 'fly' in space. EVE is a good game, nothing WRONG with it but *many* people find it boring.

Just because you like it doesn't mean people who don't like it have lower than average IQ's. Just as an example, my IQ was tested at over 150 back when I was in skool and I loathe EVE. I tried it, played it during beta, tried it in final and have played the 7 and 14 day trials. Every time I've tried it I've come away feeling like it's missing something.

I love how fanboi's of a game post that anyone who hates their game must be inferior somehow. EVE is a very very different kind of game. Some people will REALLY like it, others won't. It's not your run-of-the-mill MMORPG but it's not the end-all-be-all of MMORPG's either.

It's a 'decent' game and a 14 day trial is a good test to see whether you'll like it or not. I stand by my statement: Play the trial, it's worth it. But don't sink money into the game if you're starting to feel like it's repetitive by your 2nd week because it doesn't get much better.

As for being 'instant gratification freaks' anyone who plays ANY MMO is not in it for 'instant gratification'. If you are playing games for 'instant gratification' then MMO's are the wrong game to play because ALL of them take time.

Sig image Pending

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

Could we get my issue resolved before this just turns into a "Why both with EVE" thread? :(

What patches should I download and install from the site listed?

-Machiavelli

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500
    If you like the idea of playing a game where you will never be able to catch up to the players who played at release, not because they played the game longer, but because of nerfs which allowed them to make crazy mad money easily at  launch and gave them a huge unfair advantage over players who joined down the pike, then EvE is for you.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

you should be able to find your build number by finding the readme or patch log file in the EVE directory

Or you can go here and download the full client using FTP or Bit Torrent.

• NaosNaos Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by Jorev
    If you like the idea of playing a game where you will never be able to catch up to the players who played at release, not because they played the game longer, but because of nerfs which allowed them to make crazy mad money easily at launch and gave them a huge unfair advantage over players who joined down the pike, then EvE is for you.

utter **** ::::29:: lolz, your too funny... and yet so wrong in everything you posted hehehehe.

why not do something constructive the medical profession is always looking for test subjects

• _myko_myko Member Posts: 333

If you like the idea of playing a game where you will never be able to catch up to the players who played at release, not because they played the game longer, but because of nerfs which allowed them to make crazy mad money easily at launch and gave them a huge unfair advantage over players who joined down the pike, then EvE is for you.

show me a game where a new player can catch up a player who has played since release...

eve has less of a n00b/veteran divide because it is skill based. Sure an older player will have more money, and yes, they will likely have a bigger ship. Are they invincible? No. Can numbers defeat single players? Yes.

The aim of eve is not to make money, its to have fun. Too many players from a levelling background fail to grasp this and do the most boring aspects in order to make money so that they can do more of the boring aspect in a larger ship (i.e. mining to get a battleship, so that you can mine some more).

If you join a corp there is even less of an experience divide as a well lead corporation can take on corps many times their size - eve is a game where tactics and organisation are more important than anything else.

I'm a day one player, and I didnt make much money at all, it was mostly beta players and most of them have left. Its not like it really affected anyone anyway, you can only fly one ship at a time...

---sig---

PvE in general is pretty lame, if you think long and hard about it. You are spending your time beating a severely gimped AI that would lose to a well trained monkey. Best not to think too long and hard why you are wasting time playing games in general actually...

Originally posted by _myko

show me a game where a new player can catch up a player who has played since release...

eve has less of a n00b/veteran divide because it is skill based. Sure an older player will have more money, and yes, they will likely have a bigger ship. Are they invincible? No. Can numbers defeat single players? Yes.

The aim of eve is not to make money, its to have fun. Too many players from a levelling background fail to grasp this and do the most boring aspects in order to make money so that they can do more of the boring aspect in a larger ship (i.e. mining to get a battleship, so that you can mine some more).

If you join a corp there is even less of an experience divide as a well lead corporation can take on corps many times their size - eve is a game where tactics and organisation are more important than anything else.

I'm a day one player, and I didnt make much money at all, it was mostly beta players and most of them have left. Its not like it really affected anyone anyway, you can only fly one ship at a time...

Except that you don't fly, you point and click (which is part of what killed the game for me.)

Sig image Pending

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

It's a 'decent' game and a 14 day trial is a good test to see whether you'll like it or not. I stand by my statement: Play the trial, it's worth it. But don't sink money into the game if you're starting to feel like it's repetitive by your 2nd week because it doesn't get much better.

Well, it actually does get better over time because as your skills increase, you can do more things in terms of interacting with other players, getting involved in alliances and wars and the like. You can't do much of that at all in the first two weeks well.

EVE is an MMORPG, it is not a flight simulator in space. That's why it is point and click rather than joystick oriented. The analogy in a fantasy MMORPG would be the reality that in a fantasy-genre game, you also are not controlling "blow-by-blow" as you would in a game like Ninka Gaiden. That is the difference between MMORPGs, on the one hand, and touch-sensitive games on the other. MMORPGs are not supposed to be based on out of game skills, whereas Ninja Gaiden and the typical flying game largely are based on out-of-game coordination. MMORPGs are role-playing games with characters and the characters have skills. I'm always surprised when people criticise MMORPGs because they can't control this or that, or because their out of game "skills" are not used -- all of that is true, but it's of course going to be true for an MMORPG because that is an inherent part of the design idea, following from offline RPGs. If I am playing pen-and-paper Dungeons and Dragons, does my out of game physical strength determine how much damage my character does when he swings a sword? Of course not. By the same token, in an online MMORPG, my out of game finger/hand coordination should not determine my character's success.

• SotaPorkkanaSotaPorkkana Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by ViolentY
    Just made an account with the 14 day free trial offered by this site (I love you, MMORPG.com). Downloaded and everything. I run it, get to the login screen. I put my information in. I notice that all the servers are "incompatable." I realized this is because I am not patched. I try to connect to the main server, and it says I must patch. It offers me a few different servers to patch from. I choose a few different ones each time I try to do this. But each time I do, it appears to freeze up at the "Patching..." screen.
    Any ideas to help?

I would like to know how you were able to make a account for this 14 day free trial. I did everything it asked but when I got e-mail confirmaton letter, which should include the link so that i could continue the registration, link just went to the begining of registration pace. I tried to continue from there, but same hapend again. so I´m in the cycle.

I would be interested to hear how you got your account created