Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is terrible, for those of you who are wondering

nekrothingnekrothing Member Posts: 302

For the tl;dr crowd, here's my post in a nutshell...

A boring/generic F2P Korean xyz-grinder that rehashes the same story for the millionth time, lacks a ton of content and gameplay elements that should've been in the game by now, but aren't.

First off, I've been playing ever since the first closed beta test (although I missed out on the second closed beta test due to technical issues that prevented me from launching the game, but the second test only lasted three days). Everything in this post though, is based on the state of the game as of version 1.0. Now...

This game is terrible. This game is boring. This game is very, very generic.

The structure is the same as every other F2P Korean grinder, if you're wondering what the gameplay is like. You just pick up a ton of xyz quests, and start grinding away for levels. But the problem is that once you hit level 35, you'll start to run low on xyz quests to grind. At this point, you'll have three choices...

1. Straight grind for 20 more levels

2. Do repeatable quests for low exp

3. Grind TMQs for levels

Now TMQs, for those of you who don't know, are what's known as "Time Machine Quests". They serve the purpose of telling the main story to DBO. They allow you to go back to significant events during the main Dragon Ball arcs, for the purposes of preventing space aliens from messing with the past. Now, these TMQs have a time limit of one hour. In that hour, you must complete the objective of each specific TMQ. If you are able to do so, you are rewarded with exp, and your choice of either zeni (money) or armor. Sounds fun, right? Well for the first three or four times, yeah it is. After the fortieth time, not so much. The exp that you end up getting from these TMQs is trivial at best, later on in the game. Also, you are limited to how many TMQs you can do in a day.

As far as the actual story in the game goes, it is incredibly dissappointing. All it does is rehash the same story from the main series instead of making a new one. The only difference is that there's a "space aliens from the future haxin our past!" twist. Some space aliens go in the past to do stuff, and you go back in the past to prevent them from doing stuff. As you are doing this, you are forcefed the same story that has already been rehashed a million times in a million other terrible Dragon Ball games. It's pathetic really, since this game is supposed to take place about 200 years after the events of the main series and is supposed to essentially be a "sequel" to Dragon Ball (Z, for those more familiar with the anime), and all it does is rehash the same god damn story.

Now as far as the Dragon Balls go, there are more than 7 on each server. More than one person can also be in posession of the same type of Dragon Ball as well (i.e. more than one person could have a one star ball, or a seven star ball, or whatever). The way the game handles the Dragon Balls is that each mob has the potential to be a placeholder for dropping a Dragon Ball. The way a placeholder mob is determined is completely random. When a mob respawns after being defeated, it has the potential of spawning as a placeholder for a Dragon Ball. If it ends up being a placeholder, you can use your characters scouter to see if it is or is not (normal mobs on your scouter show up as dots, whereas placeholder mobs show up as little tiny Dragon Balls). Now if you kill a placeholder mob, that does not mean you will get a Dragon Ball for a drop, it just means the mob has a chance for possibly dropping a Dragon Ball. In other words, you need to grind placeholder mobs for the Dragon Balls, in order to have all 7. The drop rate is very poor, too.

You can't fly, you can't go to Other World, you can't travel to different planets, you can't fuse, you can't power struggle (beam-style), half of the entire game world is locked and inaccessible to the players (as I'm writing this, you can only explore half of the entire game world, as the other half hasn't been put in the game yet), there is little to no content at all in the game post-35, there is no endgame, there is still a missing class that hasn't been implemented yet, and you learn the Kaioken technique from some guy with an afro in a Richard Simmons-esque outfit. The gameplay consists of grinding typical xyz quests until you eventually start to run low on them, and are forced to either straight grind/do repeatable quests or grind TMQs. Not to mention that you are forced to grind off of placeholder mobs as well in order to get the Dragon Ball drops.

The simple truth is that this game is just as bad as all of those other Dragon Ball games that have been made for the last twenty years or so. The fact that this is an MMO doesn't change that.

Comments

• thelawoflogicthelawoflogic Member UncommonPosts: 788

fly, you can go to Other World, you and travel to different planets ib space ship you can fuse if the other is willing you can power struggle  in pvp the entire game world is  not locked

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by nekrothing

...and you learn the Kaioken technique from some guy with an afro in a Richard Simmons-esque outfit.

Sounds like "Hercule" to me, and if so, they are pretty much not breaking any lore there.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

From what I can see, pretty much most of what you're saying is wrong are just all things they havn't put into the game yet. Think you're forgetting why you are even able to play this game before it's released.

As for it being just another generic korean grind fest, with some xyz quests tossed in, I don't think that should be a surprize or even a problem for those interested in the game/franchise, the whole selling point for them is that it's an mmo in the dragonball setting.

Did find it funny he expected an entirely new storyline from this though, look at how many console games they're still regularly spewing out, which have been basically all exactly the same since the SNES, but yet they are still being made, so they must still be selling. They're quite content on sticking to what seems to sell, somehow, and I don't know why anyone would expect that to change now, especially when making the switch to something with a much larger scale.

• nekrothingnekrothing Member Posts: 302

Originally posted by just2duh

From what I can see, pretty much most of what you're saying is wrong are just all things they havn't put into the game yet. Think you're forgetting why you are even able to play this game before it's released.

As for it being just another generic korean grind fest, with some xyz quests tossed in, I don't think that should be a surprize or even a problem for those interested in the game/franchise, the whole selling point for them is that it's an mmo in the dragonball setting.

Did find it funny he expected an entirely new storyline from this though, look at how many console games they're still regularly spewing out, which have been basically all exactly the same since the SNES, but yet they are still being made, so they must still be selling. They're quite content on sticking to what seems to sell, somehow, and I don't know why anyone would expect that to change now, especially when making the switch to something with a much larger scale.

First off, the game has already been released. What do you think it meant when the game reached version 1.0? That signified an official release. But in the traditional MMO fashion, the game released before it was ready. It released with a severe lack of content and gameplay elements that it should've had, but didn't.

Secondly, there are plenty of fans of the franchise that were disappointed by the generic/grindy-ness of this game. For a quick example, take a look at the cinematic trailer thread. There are also plenty of people who were interested in the game, but became dissatisfied with the game when they actually played it (me, for instance), or learned about how generic and grindy the game actually was (again, just check out the cinematic trailer thread). So it obviously did come as a surprise and was a problem for those interested in the game/franchise.

Thirdly, this game is a sequel to the main series. This game is NOT taking place during the main series. It takes place 200 years after the events of the main series. It is not unreasonable then to assume from this that the game would actually have an original storyline that followed the events from the main series, and not just rehash the same storyline again.

Fourthly, Dragon Ball games sell on the name alone. That's why they've been selling as well as they have been ever since their incarnation on the SNES. For example, look at the movie Dragonball Evolution. That movie is terrible, which pretty much any fan of the franchise can tell you. But guess what? The movie made quite a profit in comparison to how much was spent on making the movie. The movie was terrible, yet it made a profit. You know why? Because the movie sold on its name alone. The Dragon Ball games are no different. They are all completely boring and terrible, and constantly rehash the same gameplay over and over again (the Budokai/Budokai Tenkaichi games, Raging Blast, etc). The few Dragon Ball games that don't get turned in to another generic fighter still end up being generic as well. For example, Attack of the Saiyans (an RPG) was nothing more than a Final Fantasy game reskinned to look like Dragon Ball.

I mean look at Dragon Ball Kai. Dragon Ball Kai is nothing more than Dragon Ball Z, edited to bejesus and back, and then marketed as "new!" and "exciting!" They are just rehashing the same show that started airing on TV like 20 years ago, the only difference being that they edited the shit out of it and cut out like ~100+ episodes. I know that the appeal behind Kai is to show a more faithful adaptation of the mangas, but they are just being completely lazy about it. They redid the intro and the outro, but kept the show exactly the same as it was before, with only one or two splices of new animations that last for like 3-4 seconds in every 10-20 episodes.

So you are right to say that they are sticking to a formula that works in order to sell the game to as many people as possible. Like all other Dragon Ball games before it, DBO will just copy the formula that most other games in the same genre have used and use that formula as its own, and then just go ahead and sell on its name alone. Little to no effort will be put in the game at all (not like any effort has been put in to the game at this point anyway).

Originally posted by GTwander

...and you learn the Kaioken technique from some guy with an afro in a Richard Simmons-esque outfit.

Sounds like "Hercule" to me, and if so, they are pretty much not breaking any lore there.

It isn't Hercule, it's just some rehashed trainer NPC that you see in every town (not to mention that since the game takes place 200 years after the events of the main series, Hercule would be dead). Also, King Kai is the only one who teaches the Kaioken technique. King Kai is in the Other World though, and players can't go to the Other World in DBO.

So yeah, it's breaking the lore on quite a few different levels.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

Actually most of what you said is correct except about Dragonball Evolution making a profit. The movie had a $50 million budget and thats not including paying the actors and crew. In Japan it grossed roughly that amount, $50 million and in america it bombed making only $5 million opening weekend and alot less every week since, so total we can assume it made roughly $60 million which is about what it took to make all said and done so if they made any profit it was not at all signifigant and was a huge financial loss for Fox.

Mystery Bounty

Originally posted by MysteryB

Actually most of what you said is correct except about Dragonball Evolution making a profit. The movie had a $50 million budget and thats not including paying the actors and crew. In Japan it grossed roughly that amount, $50 million and in america it bombed making only $5 million opening weekend and alot less every week since, so total we can assume it made roughly $60 million which is about what it took to make all said and done so if they made any profit it was not at all signifigant and was a huge financial loss for Fox.

Actually, a magazine in Chile had reported that the budget was $45 million. Box Office Mojo shows the worldwide gross to be $57.5 million. $9.3 million domestically and $48.1 million internationally. So if the budget that that Chile magazine had reported was correct (and it might not be, since everyone has lied about the budget so many times), then the movie made a $12 million dollar profit. But that's also assuming that the box office numbers Box Office Mojo are reporting are correct as well.

But all I was saying in my last post is that even though the movie was terrible, it still made a profit (which it did) on its name alone.

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

You can't fly

Well, they lost a potential player on that one.

I am dissappoint

• DrOrpheusDrOrpheus Member Posts: 46

I think most of your problems lie with it being a new game. But I do sympathize, and hopefully they change their direction.

You can't really escape the "XYZ" quest grinding in an MMO. I'm not saying every game is like that, but that's generally how most MMORPG games go. So I'm not all too fused about that. As for the lack of quests? Well, that's most likely because it's freshly new. I'm sure later on down the road when the game becomes widely populated, they'll add more and kink out the issues. This is also another common traint in MMORPGs.

I'd say just to wait until the game is widely released (i.e. the rest of the world) before you make any too serious judgement calls. I've played many MMOs on release date.. and they've all been pretty bad. But I've never played this one.. so I'm talking out of my behind.

• lordessedesslordessedess Member Posts: 56

I think ill just reserve judgement on the game till i actually get a chance to play it.

I personally liked most of the DBZ games even if they were pretty much the same each time each one had subtle differences and each time a new one released it was kind of like a new improved version was available.

• BesttheiswowBesttheiswow Member Posts: 301

shhh..stop it..this is THE Dragon Ball..so even if the game is bad its allways a good game...its DB...

Originally posted by lordessedess

I think ill just reserve judgement on the game till i actually get a chance to play it instead of trolling about how horrible it is.

I personally liked most of the DBZ games even if they were pretty much the same each time each one had subtle differences and each time a new one released it was kind of like a new improved version was available.

Just because you don't like what I have to say about the game doesn't mean I'm trolling.

The game is a constant grind with little content (almost no content once you hit the max level), the storyline is just a rehash of the same storyline from the main series with a "space aliens from the future in the past!" twist, and the gameplay lacks a lot of defining Dragon Ball characteristics to differntiate itself as an actual "Dragon Ball" MMO.

You say you personally enjoyed most of the Dragon Ball games, and that they improved slightly with each new installment, right? Well what if instead of each installment improving from the last one, they actually got worse? What if they systematically took out features with each new title? Would you still like the games then? What if the games started missing major gameplay elements like flying, or power/beam struggling? Also, let's say that with each new game, they cut the amount of maps available by half, so that each new game has less and less areas that you can go to. Oh, and imagine that every single piece of content, except for a story and duel mode would be cut from the game as well. Does any of that still sound fun? Lack of content, lack of areas to explore, lack of Dragon Ball defining gameplay... this pretty much sums up DBO in a nutshell.

Even if all of that gets ironed out as time goes on though, and more content/areas/gameplay elements get added to the game, it won't change the fact that the game will still be a generic xyz grinder. It still won't change the lame plot device-infested rehashed storyline, or the amount of lore inaccuracies the game has and will continue to create for itself.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Why bother making a Dragonball game where you can't freaking FLY?!? That's like making a fantasy game without magic or swords, or a scifi game without lasers or aliens.

I think ill just reserve judgement on the game till i actually get a chance to play it instead of trolling about how horrible it is.

Just because you don't like what I have to say about the game doesn't mean I'm trolling.

The game is a constant grind with little content (almost no content once you hit the max level), the storyline is just a rehash of the same storyline from the main series with a "space aliens from the future in the past!" twist, and the gameplay lacks a lot of defining Dragon Ball characteristics to differntiate itself as an actual "Dragon Ball" MMO.

You say you personally enjoyed most of the Dragon Ball games, and that they improved slightly with each new installment, right? Well what if instead of each installment improving from the last one, they actually got worse? What if they systematically took out features with each new title? Would you still like the games then? What if the games started missing major gameplay elements like flying, or power/beam struggling? Also, let's say that with each new game, they cut the amount of maps available by half, so that each new game has less and less areas that you can go to. Oh, and imagine that every single piece of content, except for a story and duel mode would be cut from the game as well. Does any of that still sound fun? Lack of content, lack of areas to explore, lack of Dragon Ball defining gameplay... this pretty much sums up DBO in a nutshell.

Even if all of that gets ironed out as time goes on though, and more content/areas/gameplay elements get added to the game, it won't change the fact that the game will still be a generic xyz grinder. It still won't change the lame plot device-infested rehashed storyline, or the amount of lore inaccuracies the game has and will continue to create for itself.

First ill say im sorry if i offended you in any way i had no intention of it *commits virtual seppukku, i was still angry someone reported one of my posts as trolling (which also had no ill intent behind it,nor desire to provoke angered responses,im always phraseing things the wrong way or haveing things misnterpretted) i edited the post you quoted to make it more friendly.

Also i guess that is a good point.....if it did get worse and worse.....well id probably boycott Dragonball as brand all together :)

Oh crap i missed where you said you couldnt fly the first time( that does suck big time) your posts are very long (which is what i was trying to creatively convey in the post that got reported) and i sometimes accidently skip lines when reading something that long so i didnt pick up on it till i read someone else's response.

First ill say im sorry if i offended you in any way i had no intention of it *commits virtual seppukku, i was still angry someone reported one of my posts as trolling (which also had no ill intent behind it,nor desire to provoke angered responses,im always phraseing things the wrong way or haveing things misnterpretted) i edited the post you quoted to make it more friendly.

Also i guess that is a good point.....if it did get worse and worse.....well id probably boycott Dragonball as brand all together :)

Oh crap i missed where you said you couldnt fly the first time( that does suck big time) your posts are very long and i sometimes accidently skip lines when reading something that long so i didnt pick up on it till i read soeone else's response.

Yeah, no worries. I wasn't offended (not at you at least, but at how bad the game is (just thinking about how bad the game is makes me a nerdraging butthurt)). I was just trying to clear the air that I wasn't trolling, but just trying to show what the game was like as of version 1.0.

But yeah, my posts can be a little long sometimes. It's usually not intentional though, but I'll just be typing, and before I know it, I'll have written a novel. :(

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

I lost interest soon as Humans could go SSJ.

Grr.. Double Post.. Forums are being crappy.

Originally posted by SlyLoK

i dont remember any humans turning super saiyan .......who did that?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that.

In DBO there are 3 races...

1. Majin

2. Namek

3. Human

Once each of these three races reaches level 50, they have the option to get an ascending ability from the dragon by making a wish (after grinding placeholder mobs for the dragon ball drops). The ascending ability for Majins is to be able to turn in to their original Majin forms (being able to look like Kid Buu basically). The ascending ability for Nameks is to be able to turn in to a Super Namek (they turn in to giants, like how Piccolo Jr. turned in to a giant in his fight against Goku). The Human ascending ability allows Humans to turn in to, like SlyLoK said, Super Saiyans. They get the yellow hair, aura, and everything.

Over in the screenshot section for DBO on this site, you can see a picture that I submitted that shows each of these three races using their ascending ability. Link.

1. Majin

2. Namek

3. Human

Once each of these three races reaches level 50, they have the option to get an ascending ability from the dragon by making a wish (after grinding placeholder mobs for the dragon ball drops). The ascending ability for Majins is to be able to turn in to their original Majin forms (being able to look like Kid Buu basically). The ascending ability for Nameks is to be able to turn in to a Super Namek (they turn in to giants, like how Piccolo Jr. turned in to a giant in his fight against Goku). The Human ascending ability allows Humans to turn in to, like SlyLoK said, Super Saiyans. They get the yellow hair, aura, and everything.

Over in the screenshot section for DBO on this site, you can see a picture that I submitted that shows each of these three races using their ascending ability. Link.

oh ok....well maybe the saiyan race became so intermingled with humans they became one in the same :P saiyan blood being so strong it could be possible i guess without it diluteing too much  , but that'd take a  long time though or somewhere along the line there were some very promiscuous saiyan half breeds lol.

when i first heard about the game i was so looking forward to it as a fan of dragonball but its doesnt sound like its shapeing up to be much. (same with the the kai series they cut out a few episodes i liked to make it shorter like the one about princess snake, of couse we all know that had nothing to do with all the girls in that place *whistles innocently*)

1. Majin

2. Namek

3. Human

oh ok....well maybe the saiyan race became so intermingled with humans they became one in the same :P saiyan blood being so strong it could be possible i guess without it diluteing too much  , but that'd take a  long time though or somewhere along the line there were some very promiscuous saiyan half breeds lol.

when i first heard about the game i was so looking forward to it as a fan of dragonball but its doesnt sound like its shapeing up to be much. (same with the the kai series they cut out a few episodes i liked to make it shorter like the one about princess snake, of couse we all know that had nothing to do with all the girls in that place *whistles innocently*)

lol yeah, but DBO only takes place 200 years after the end of the series, and the only known Saiyan survivors are Vegeta, Goku, Gohan, Goten, Trunks, Pan, and Bra. So 200 years probably wouldn't give them enough time to really "spread their seed", even if they all humped like bunnies. <_<

The current theory is that, from a story-perspective, your Human character (if you were to make one) would be the descendant of one of the Saiyans that were still alive by the end of the series. So as a result, you would have "dormant" Saiyan blood, and when making a wish to the dragon, you'd essentially be wishing for your Saiyan genes to be unlocked, which would grant you the ability to turn in to a Super Saiyan. It sounds pretty ridiculous though.

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

Originally posted by GTwander

Oh except for the fact that Goku doesn't learn the Kaio-ken from Hercule he learns it from King Kai.

You're right they are not breaking any lore at all.

Oh, or the fact that in all of the history of Dragonball, Goku is the only person to ever be able to successful use the Kaio-ken technique, while many in the series could produce the KAME-HAME-HA.

Nope no breaking of lore...

• TimmyTimmy Member Posts: 68

Honestly and I know some are like this. I don't care how awful it is, it honestly can't suck that bad. I like all of DBZ a ton and it doesn't bother me that I will be playing the rehashed story. It's just cool to play it online with other people and see the world. So yea i'd play it just cause I love DBZ and grinding doesn't bother me either. So can't wait ^.^

• mitinemitine Member Posts: 5

I shall quote Peter Griffin

This is life so go and have a ball. Because the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you may not be right for some. You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have ... my opening statement. Sit, Ubu, sit. Good dog. 

1. Majin

2. Namek

3. Human

That could explain it except for the fact that Akira Toryama ( sp? ) plainly stated that descendents with very dilluted blood could not possibly become a Super Saiyan ( which would explain Pan ). After a 200 year period the bloodline would be pretty much gone.  I am about to use a real world reference so close your eyes! Its kinda like how a normal looking black / white / asian person could have a great , great , great grandparent / ancestor of a different race.

As for Kai.. I also noticed they cut out shots of where Gohan would get hit and now the scene just cuts away to him on the ground or something. However I still prefer Kai over all the filler because it makes the show much more streamlined AND the added scenes and different script also help. But I do not like Freizas new voice.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Was never expecting a revolutionary MMO. The fact thats its DB means i'll play it. I could grind all day and be happy since i'm in the DB universe :)

You can't fly but it was mentioned they are thinking of putting it in.

This discussion has been closed.