Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Graphic Card for a computer would be good for GW?

Yo people. Wut graphic card would be good for Guild Wars. I only want to spend atleast like 150 dollars and below. Plz help me!!!!image

If you got lemons... Eat them, or squirt them in your eyes.

Comments

• ZrazikZrazik Member Posts: 195

I guess for $150 you'll get decent enough graphics card for GW, no need to worry about it. Back then when I played I had a cheaper one and GW went smooth. I believe for that amount of cash you can get either Ge Force 5700 or Radeon 9800. They are not the newest, but still much better than my old video card which ran fine.

• gunnerajgunneraj Member Posts: 46
    Thanks!

If you got lemons... Eat them, or squirt them in your eyes.

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

PCI express or AGP? Try Newegg.com they have some great deals and excelent service. You can get a geforce 6200 for around $100, and that is a very nice card which should handle any game out there right now.

Here is just one example. Geforce 6200 AGP

image image

• ZrazikZrazik Member Posts: 195

I believe the x200 series are the low-end ones, stripped of some features. It's better to get high end 5k series than cheap 6k series.

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

What a 6200 can really do

Haven't tried this out myself, but they got some pretty impressive improvements on their 6200.

image image

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Cards nowadays are wypfiwyg. Expensive cards perform better than cheaper ones and it is often wise to stick with higher end, since new cards come out every 4-6 months and gaming engines are consantly being modified to keep up with the cards. You don't want to fall behind.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• MalicusMalicus Member Posts: 307
    I play with a 9800pro and it runs beautiful. Fps stays high and settings are highest. Although it is a fairly old card I cant imagine it looking or performing any better.
  • SaigonshakesSaigonshakes Member Posts: 937

If you have pci-e then go with a card in the 6600 series. Great bang for your break.

• Paladin101Paladin101 Member Posts: 187

never aim lower it is not smart. If you buy a card that cheap (150 or below) your going to only get a decent use of it for a half of year to a year really. Id suggest you save more money for something a bit better. I spend 220 dollars on a ATI Radeon 9800 pro 256 DDR, it one of the best cards out and it isnt too much higher than your price. I can run Half life 2 on full settings and high resolution easily but MMO i have a more difficult wih since my ram is 768 ddr pci ........ im saving for more ram or thinking about just getting a new mother board to get the newer ram's out. Always think long term with any hardware especially graphics cards. I used to aim lower and i learned my lesson in high school.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Paladin101
    never aim lower it is not smart. If you buy a card that cheap (150 or below) your going to only get a decent use of it for a half of year to a year really. Id suggest you save more money for something a bit better. I spend 220 dollars on a ATI Radeon 9800 pro 256 DDR, it one of the best cards out and it isnt too much higher than your price. I can run Half life 2 on full settings and high resolution easily but MMO i have a more difficult wih since my ram is 768 ddr pci ........ im saving for more ram or thinking about just getting a new mother board to get the newer ram's out. Always think long term with any hardware especially graphics cards. I used to aim lower and i learned my lesson in high school.

Not true. Here's my philosophy:
    Always go for a video card about 2 revisions behind the "TOP of the Line". The reason is you'll cut over $100 off the price, get not a huge hit in performance, and, in a year or two, you can repeat the process. You'll never notice a significant difference in game play as long as you stay within a few revisions of the current top-model. Since new models come out about every 6 months you should get 1 2 versions back and upgrade either annually or bi-annually. You're going to save so much by staying a couple versions back that it'll be very cost-effective.

Now, if you have the money to burn, go for the gold. My stance is this:
    If just upgrading your video card go 2 versions behind
    When building a whole new system, go ahead and get top of the line. That way you can hold off upgrading a while to recover from the cost of the system.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• OrgasmatronOrgasmatron Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Saigonshakes
    If you have pci-e then go with a card in the 6600 series. Great bang for your break.

definately, 6600gt should be your choice. it runs everything smoothly and is rather future proof.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Orgasmatron

definately, 6600gt should be your choice. it runs everything smoothly and is rather future proof.

HEHE if there's one thing I've learned after 25 years of working with computers:

Nothing is 'future proof' :)

But a 6600 should carry you for a year, maybe 2, before you need to upgrade your video card again.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• OrgasmatronOrgasmatron Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Elnator
    Originally posted by Orgasmatron

HEHE if there's one thing I've learned after 25 years of working with computers:

Nothing is 'future proof' :)

But a 6600 should carry you for a year, maybe 2, before you need to upgrade your video card again.

i've heard about that "thing" too, that's why i said RATHER future proof :)

• punchlinepunchline Member Posts: 544

i went to newegg.... and got around 150 dollar radeon not sure if it was 9800 i think it was one lower but it handles everygame great....

• yah need a good card for such a good game.