Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about picking this up for the summer

gingus418gingus418 Member Posts: 128

What server would you guys recommend? Also, any suggestion on a fun class to play? 

Comments

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

I would suggest you try the free trial before you make a financial commitment to the game.

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/players/content.vm?id=62963

Starsider is by far most populated server, and will probably offer you better opportunities for grouping.

Only you can decide which class is the most fun to play. You can always change your profession later if you are not happy with it.  Here is a link to the profession boards for your review - http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/forums/list.m?category_id=40

• gingus418gingus418 Member Posts: 128

You can change professions? Is this the same thing with classes? Once you create your character, are you locked into playing that class unless you create a new character? 

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

You can respec to any profession at anytime, but it will cost you in game coin. I do believe you get a monthly free respec though.

Like Kaz said... give the trial a go before plunking down cash.

so theoretically I could switch between being a bounty hunter and a jedi? or some other combination? 

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Originally posted by gingus418

so theoretically I could switch between being a bounty hunter and a jedi? or some other combination? 

You can switch between professions, but you cannot mix and match like you could pre-NGE.

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

You can switch between professions, but you cannot mix and match like you could pre-NGE.

Think you confusing him with the "profession" part.

Yes you can switch classes for example between BH and Jedi.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by Mazin

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Think you confusing him with the "profession" part.

Yes you can switch classes for example between BH and Jedi.

Yeah, the old profession system that was part of the pre-NGE magical days of SWG is long gone.  Now you have a few "star warsy" iconic classed and some skill trees.  If I could go back and do my Master Ranger/Master Rifleman build or my TKM / Commando Flame 4 build, I would play for the summer too.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

What server would you guys recommend? Also, any suggestion on a fun class to play? 

Here's some server stats to help you find a home: SWG Galactic Civil War and Player City Statistics - 29th of June 2010

And here's a run down of how the professions play at the high end so you can pick one that best suits your own gaming style: Guide: Understanding Combat Professions

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Wow, what happened to blood?

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by mrw0lf

inorite?! Freaked me out too. They moved to Flurry I think.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Bloodfin was proof that PvP does play a vital part to a servers health.  Once the PvP'ers all decided to leave (essentially overnight...I still don't know the reason as to why although I believe it was mostly drama), the server started hemorrhaging players to a variety of servers.

So I'm dl'ing the trial now. What happens when you switch between professions? Does it save the progress you've made or does it wipe the slate clean? 

• thecipherthecipher Member UncommonPosts: 146

So I'm dl'ing the trial now. What happens when you switch between professions? Does it save the progress you've made or does it wipe the slate clean? 

If I remember correctly, the games saves character level information for combat professions, trader professions and entertainers seperately. This means that if you have a level 90 structures trader (the easiest of the 4 to grind to 90), you can respec into a munitions trader, for example, and still be level 90. Also, if you're a level 40 smuggler, you can respec into a level 40 version of any of the combat classes.

http://machineborn.guildportal.com - Now recruiting players!

• panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

If you've never played swg before you'll find plenty to occupy yourself....

Find a populated server if your european choose Farstar or Chim....Chim has a far better crafting base tho'  for items and a lot cheaper than Farstar..

Commando proff will be your easiest choice of proff but you can change this with free respec's

Follow the Legacy quest you recieve at the start to reach your mid 50's experience meeting characters. scenes and sights from the films..

Have a dabble with space combat......i'd strongly recommend going corsec  freelance squadron though so no one attacks you until you shoot them heh!

Theres a lot to occupy you so go for it and report back heh!

Pan