Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why would anyone buy another game from FUNCOM?

Comments

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by hobo9766

Funcom doesn't learn from past mistakes. Don't buy into the "they have learned and will not repeat this shit again" mindset. funcom's track history is just as great as BP's safety record https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/BP#Safety_record

And the rest are saintly I suppose?

In my opinion, any company has the possibility of getting my money if they conduct themselves correctly and make an entertaining product.  Otherwise, I cancel.  Simple as that.

• madcraggymadcraggy Member Posts: 26

As someone above said if you don't like it, don't play it and don't give them your cash.  Some people act in mmo's and talk like it in mmo forums that the game company killed their family or something.

These are ONLY computer games - remember! :)

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

I would support funcom because launches are always bad. AoC got fixed up and a lot of people enjoy it. AO still has a few people playing it that enjoy it. Funcom doesn't fail like everyone says, they just like to pick companies and make it seem a hell of a lot worse.

• AzzkickaAzzkicka Member Posts: 157

Because they have put more effort then probebly any other company would have out there trying to try and fix AoC.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

I can buy another game from Funcom without even blinking, because:

* Despite the terrible launch Anarchy Online might be the best MMO I've ever played.

* Despite the bad launch (not really "terrible" as far as MMOs go), Age of Conan was not that bad for me in the long run. 

* The Longest Journey might be one of the best video games I've played and its creator Ragnar is at the helm on The Secret World.

Hmm.... What do you know, I just might have more reasons to buy another game from Funcom than I have reasons to buy a game from any other company! :)

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by solarine

* Despite the terrible launch Anarchy Online might be the best MMO I've ever played.

* Despite the bad launch (not really "terrible" as far as MMOs go), Age of Conan was not that bad for me in the long run. 

* The Longest Journey might be one of the best video games I've played and its creator Ragnar is at the helm on The Secret World.

Hmm.... What do you know, I just might have more reasons to buy another game from Funcom than I have reasons to buy a game from any other company! :)

Did you ever read Ragnars 18 chapter preface to Anarchy Online called "Prophet without honor"?  Absolutely fantastic backstory.  its a shame AO never involved it much, but I suppose back then it was too much work.

• ArnuphisArnuphis Member Posts: 103

I enjoyed the AO backstory and for a while the Philip Ross stuff did continue in the game, at least on RK1. Then he-who-must-not-be-named took over as the game director and gave AO the steaming pile that was Shadowlands. But I digress...

As for trusting FC again not to bait and switch you at launch, well it's your money and your stupidity. I beta tested AO so knew to stay well away. I hoped that they wouldn't do the same stuff with AoC and they fooled me. I'm interested in TSW but I'll let you suckers use your money to test it for me. 

Gaming companies release products prematurely only because you keep allowing them to do so.

• EmlochEmloch Member Posts: 51

From what I have heard, AoC had a terrible launch. i didn't purchase the game right away as I was still involved in others. However, I do have an active account now and I can say that the game plays very well. In fact, it is one of the best looking, smooth playing games to date. If it started off as terrible then it just goes to show Funcom's commitment to making their products right. As others have stated, countless other companies have had buggy launches. Actually, there is no such thing as a perfect launch. There will always be problems, no matter how minor.

Given Funcom's track record, perhaps they have learned much from their previous mistakes. Perhaps, this time, they've learned enough to get this one right. We'll see. Regardless, TSW looks to be one of the most interesting and unique titles I've seen in a long time. Very refreshing.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I think this is one one of the better reasons why people would want to buy a funcom game.  I've played a bit of Longest Journey and it was very good. AoC is as good as many games on the market right now, despite some criticisms.

And I've read numerous things about how good AO is.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I know Funcom is quite able to make cool worlds and fascinating settings. No doubt here.

But AoC was one of the bigger letdowns, and my recent try out of the game showed me they have learned NOTHING. Yes, for some special interest niche AoC is ok. But for the broader mass it is way to clunky and primitive when it comes to gameplay. Nothing I have seen in Conan shows me the Funcom guys really know how to make a great MMO in our days. (And I swear I am going to get ugly at the first person who even BEGINS with "WOW" on me. I am NOT a WOW player.)

No, all we seen from Secret World are some short sequences. All we read and heard is about the setting and the world. Which IS cool. But when the day of release is there, what counts isn't some shiny world or cool vista, its the everyday gameplay.

Like, do I get something even when I am casual? Is every class really playable solo? Is there interesting stuff to get even when I just play 2 hours, or do I need to invest months to get out of my starter gear? AoC made SO many mistakes and the expansion didn't change heck. Yes, the OP is entirely right. One is to be VERY skeptical about this new MMO, especially when Rise of the Godslayer proved that Funcom learned little to nothing as why AoC failed. I am sure they STILL sit there in some Norwegian Fjörd, pondering why their great game failed.

Well I could tell them, but they just don't listen. Which isnt really something so new. It seems the hubris of many game developers. They think they are SO smart and know better how to make a fun MMO than their own playerbase. The result: 3 years of constant failures of MMORPGs we have seen from various companies. The last MMO which was a success was LOTRO. Everything else launched in the last years were various degrees of failure. Go figure.

EDIT: I dont understand how people pour their acid over the OP for saying the truth. It's absurd you protect a company which lied so many times and which apparently has no clue how to make a MMO fun for more than a handful diehard idealists of a long past MMO era. I grinded my AoC barbarian 50 long levels, and all he got was different brown shades of sackcloth. How can THAT be fun and motivating? No, Funcom has NO CLUE. Period. It's just your idealism which blinds you to see the King is indeed naked.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• rlmccoy1987rlmccoy1987 Member Posts: 1,722

Have to say "NO" as Funcom lied like crazy about Age of Conan, will never trust that company again.

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

As long as it's not Cryptic, it would be worth a try. If it says Cryptic on the box, put it back on the shelf/hit back on your browser, take my word on it...

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Elikal

No, all we seen from Secret World are some short sequences. All we read and heard is about the setting and the world. Which IS cool. But when the day of release is there, what counts isn't some shiny world or cool vista, its the everyday gameplay.

Like, do I get something even when I am casual? Is every class really playable solo? Is there interesting stuff to get even when I just play 2 hours, or do I need to invest months to get out of my starter gear? AoC made SO many mistakes and the expansion didn't change heck. Yes, the OP is entirely right. One is to be VERY skeptical about this new MMO, especially when Rise of the Godslayer proved that Funcom learned little to nothing as why AoC failed. I am sure they STILL sit there in some Norwegian Fjörd, pondering why their great game failed.

I agree, we haven't seen much about The Secret World yet regarding gameplay. The news flow is also very dry the last few months which leads me to think that game release will be in the 2nd half of 2011 at the earliest, since other games that are planned to be released earlier have a lot more information and videos released.

Their atmosphere and setting for TSW is one of the coolest though, and a game designer like Tornquist, the man from The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, on the helm is in my eyes not a bad choice at all.

For the rest. it's waiting until it'll be possible to see gameplay or to play ourselves in one of the betas.

I disagree with RotGS being a failure though, that's your personal opinion and my personal opinion is that it showed enough stuff that Funcom can learn from mistakes. Did it boost sub numbers to consistently higher numbers? No, the increase in subs is slowly ebbing away over the months. But RotGS had a hell of a lot better launch than AoC, way stabler and way less bug-infested. Also the vaster zones that flow more naturally into eachother, the more interesting and creative dungeons and the AA system instead of the standard level cap raise are all things that are signs that they do listen to player requests.

The reason why AoC failed at launch is a very simple one, the same as WAR: not because these MMO games in itself were bad but because they were products that were released too early, unfinished, far from highly polished and with broken and missing features. Add to that too little content to keep players entertained at the highest levels and you have a recipe for high player retention loss. I'm sure that if AoC had been released in the state it is in now, RotGS included, then they would have held on to a far larger chunk of the group of players that played the game at launch.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

I have to say that I would have considered myself one of the most vehement anti-Funcom people after the mess they made of AoC at release.

I also have to say that I went back later and saw that they pulled up their socks and improved the game.

It was way too late though. One month was all I would give them. I don't believe we should be letting these companies get away with bad releases. So I cancelled my sub and I won't be playing AoC again.

I will be watching The Secret World very closely though, and if they appear to have learned their lesson from AoC I will give them more money.

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

I sort of understand what you're saying but, wait and see? I really can't comment too much on your hate towards Funcom seeing as how I pretty much refuse to play any SOE game. But that's because they restarted my billing and doesn't have anything to do with an actual game. Regardless, it'd be pot/kettle/black.  I will tell you this, AoC changed for the better, quciker than any game I played. Of course I didn't max out in level and my first month I spent leveling alts then it just sort of faded. Went back to try it again and I was impressed, the actul engine was improved and everything.

• znerdznerd Member Posts: 37

i dunno, but i think failcom also created anarchy online. i never played it but peopels said they gave bad support. 

well, they released age of fail, and they just rip off the customers with it. no wonder why no one will trust em again. and why should we? every month other dev-teams annoucing new AAA- titels. tera, vindicus, ff... even swtor has more potential as 'the secret world'.

they try since years.. to fix their negative image by posting here in this forums. some of the community and PR peopels have here anonymous accounts and posting about how awesome this game is. well, and everybody who say something negative about age of fail, well receive from mmorpg.com a account warning or a ban.  

That's ridiculous paranoia, they ban haters and fanbois and everyone in between alike, if you cross their lines. I've been banned a couple of times myself while in my eyes I was only trying to steer a conversation into a more sensible, constructive direction. So, not much of a difference in what attracts the banhammer.

Thinking that it's anything else is tinfoil hat territory.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by Sovrath

I think this is one one of the better reasons why people would want to buy a funcom game.  I've played a bit of Longest Journey and it was very good. AoC is as good as many games on the market right now, despite some criticisms.

And I've read numerous things about how good AO is.

I never cared for AO, but I agree with the rest of your points.

I think the only company I would refuse to buy another game from is Cryptic.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• XianthosXianthos Member Posts: 723

Originally posted by cyphers

That's ridiculous paranoia, they ban haters and fanbois and everyone in between alike, if you cross their lines. I've been banned a couple of times myself while in my eyes I was only trying to steer a conversation into a more sensible, constructive direction. So, not much of a difference in what attracts the banhammer.

Thinking that it's anything else is tinfoil hat territory.

Welcome in club. AoC and its official forum was my worst experience with censorship (delete, edit pots / threads).

Besides the poor quality of the games at release. AO was a extrem bumby ride at start. Age of Fail was aswell devastating disapointment and i was a fanboy of it pre-release :-( In my fantasy it was so much cooler then it turned out to be in reality. The first and last time i was hyped so much and put hope in a company.

FailCom has no credibility in my eyes as a company. They went from PvP centric game to PvE grind game since Add-on, which is good for remaining community, but in fact they abandoned their original design for Age of Fail.

EvE doors

See the best doors on EvE-on!

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well I did the beta for aoc and it was a mess.  The first 3 months were a mess.  I canceled at that point and have not went back.  I have friends who still play and say its great,  I have other friends who went back and quit saying they still had the same problems that made them leave in the first place.

I am almost to the point if they gave me a 30 day free trial I think I would give it a shot, 10 days is reall not enough to do anything with.

Right now there are only 2 game companies on my list to never buy from again.  Cryptic being number one, and now turbine/wb.  The reason is simple I have lost trust in either of those companies due to their greed, its not a game its a bean counting show and how much you can mik your gamers for.

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Your forgetting a major thing about Funcom and its a reason i'm looking forward to SW, inovation, when anarchy online came out every other mmo was do this quest go here kill 10 plebs, for the first time casual gamers and hard core gamers alike could log on go to a mission terminal and within 5 mins be in a custom mission 10 mins you could achieve something and grow your character.

Yes they always seem to bring out games not ready but there is still no pay 2 play game out there that matches the pet classes in Anarchy online

I've never played AO but I heard good things about it, yes.

@Xianthos: I was referring to the forums here on mmorpg.com, not the official AoC forums.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

You know what just on a wimb I decide after this article to resub to aoc.  I will let youknow how it goes.  Sometimes it takes walking away from a game to give it a try again.

Still I don't understand all the hate.  Yes it had a bad launch and all.  So I am going to go see for myself it the hate is so well deserved. 

After all and this is what I just talked to with about my friends.  It is all in your playstyle, just because some of my friends dont like it I might not.   I can say that while I was not impressed at launch they never done anything shady yet, unlike some of the games that I play now that are in the process of changing sub modles and shafting the players.

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

Originally posted by calranthe

Your forgetting a major thing about Funcom and its a reason i'm looking forward to SW, inovation, when anarchy online came out every other mmo was do this quest go here kill 10 plebs, for the first time casual gamers and hard core gamers alike could log on go to a mission terminal and within 5 mins be in a custom mission 10 mins you could achieve something and grow your character.

Yes they always seem to bring out games not ready but there is still no pay 2 play game out there that matches the pet classes in Anarchy online

Wow, I couldn't agree more, one word is why I will be giving them a shot,

innovation

I know Cal, was referring to AO, but SW looks so different from all the crap they're throwing at the fan, hoping that it will stick on the walls these days... the kill 10 pigs and go talk to some schmuck in Ironforge or whatever is a poor excuse for vision, throw a Star Trek skin on it, it's no better, kill 10 klingons and hail Mr. Sulu, Hopefully we won't see kill 10 ugly mithical thingies and talk to the bum under the slide... Come on Funcom, here's your second chance, Cryptic blew theirs *cough, cough, STO,* Don't make the same mistake.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Well, by pretty much every objective standard, Funcom is 0/2 on MMO *launches*.  I don't trust them to launch a MMO that is any where near complete or relatively bug free, but I will probably keep an eye on TSW and give it a shot a year or so after launch, or after I get bored with TOR, which ever comes last.

This discussion has been closed.