Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you not like about GW2?

12346»

Comments

• DoktorianDoktorian Member Posts: 131

The only thing I don't like so far is the no walking thing. They totally mislead me in the trailer! :(   Other than that I really see no problems becuase they seem to be doing things for good reasons. I'm sure that when the game comes out that we'll easily figure out why there are only 5 people dungeons and no dedicated healers. I'm just really dissapointed about the walking.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I played GW1 and it's two expansions quite a bit.    There were plenty of things I enjoyed about the game, particularly the mercenaries since I am a die-hard soloer.    Also, I have zero desire in PvP of any kind, but I did frequently enjoy watching matches while I ate lunch or something.

However, I don't think I'll be buying GW2 for two reasons, which, to be fair, I don't know that GW2 suffers from, but GW1 did.

1.  Everytime I went off to do a quest, I'd naturally quick-travel to the closest area and then set out from there.   But getting to that the actual quest location was almost always a chore because of the horde of mobs I'd have to slog through.    It reminded me a bit of raiding in the sense that I always had to wade through hundreds of trash mobs to get to the fights I wanted.   Combat seemed kind of slow to me as well.    If I could've found a build with nice, powerful AoE abilities that could mow through the mobs faster, I think I would've enjoyed it more.

2.  Using mercs, there were some missions/areas that were simply too difficult, at least for me.   For those, I was forced to team up with others to complete that content.    It's not that I dislike teaming with others, I did so for fun from time to time, but I oh so hate having to team up.

I apologize if this post seems harsh, as I enjoyed GW1 enough to play it for months and buy two expansions.   I was simply responding to the post title.

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

Originally posted by SwampRob

I played GW1 and it's two expansions quite a bit.    There were plenty of things I enjoyed about the game, particularly the mercenaries since I am a die-hard soloer.    Also, I have zero desire in PvP of any kind, but I did frequently enjoy watching matches while I ate lunch or something.

However, I don't think I'll be buying GW2 for two reasons, which, to be fair, I don't know that GW2 suffers from, but GW1 did.

1.  Everytime I went off to do a quest, I'd naturally quick-travel to the closest area and then set out from there.   But getting to that the actual quest location was almost always a chore because of the horde of mobs I'd have to slog through.    It reminded me a bit of raiding in the sense that I always had to wade through hundreds of trash mobs to get to the fights I wanted.   Combat seemed kind of slow to me as well.    If I could've found a build with nice, powerful AoE abilities that could mow through the mobs faster, I think I would've enjoyed it more.

2.  Using mercs, there were some missions/areas that were simply too difficult, at least for me.   For those, I was forced to team up with others to complete that content.    It's not that I dislike teaming with others, I did so for fun from time to time, but I oh so hate having to team up.

I apologize if this post seems harsh, as I enjoyed GW1 enough to play it for months and buy two expansions.   I was simply responding to the post title.

Both of the problems you had with number one are completely gone in GW2.

Heroes and hencmen are gone from the game and it is completely solo friendly.

No more hordes of mobs everywhere, and it has been said that most roads are clear for travel.

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

so like, I never played GW. should I play GW2? I mean, Cataclysm comes out soon followed by Old Republic. will it be worth it?

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

Originally posted by Joshua69

so like, I never played GW. should I play GW2? I mean, Cataclysm comes out soon followed by Old Republic. will it be worth it?

Well if you really think Cataclysm will be all that great, then why not play both. GW2 is not subscription based so you can play both and decide which one is better.

• draussdrauss Member Posts: 93

Ummmm well this is a mechanic in nearly every game ESPECIALLY this genre. You can fight or avoid them up to you. Normally you do many quests at once and work through the zone. Go back and claim the reward and do the next chain quest etc rinse and repeat. As for having difficulty get some heroes and look here http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page for builds. Most importantly learn the game mechanic and how to create a team build.

See my first reply. Sounds like you maybe don't know the classes or the game mechanic enough. Most people will help you through the missions anyways. You could probably do with a good guild to pass on the knowledge that you need. Look here for a guild http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/guild-recruitment-f265.html

Seriously though Guild Wars isn't a game that you pick up and can master immediately. The game always has something new to teach you. After 4 years I am still learning.

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

Originally posted by KillHurt

Originally posted by Joshua69

Well if you really think Cataclysm will be all that great, then why not play both. GW2 is not subscription based so you can play both and decide which one is better.

true, however so much to do in one MMO, hate to play two at the same time

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

Nothing that is a game breaker for me but I hope they will include walking before release.

Another thing that I've noticed in the most recent article is 'no death penalty'. I don't say it has to be harsh but come on give as at least an item decay or something similar so that we actually do care about not getting killed. Getting killed is not a punishment as devs reffer to it, makes no sense.

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

Originally posted by CcDohl

I say they drop the elves and mutated gnomes and come up with something along the same lines as the shapeshifters and big bear monsters.

Huge lore problems here.  Big bear monsters are in the game, they are the Norn.  Dwarves, race is almost extinct due to racial sacrifice to save the world at the end of Eye of the North.  As far as the other two issues, within the scope of the lore, it could be done, but most of the players would not come back if the Asurans (gnome race?) and the introduction of the new race, the Sylvari did not occur.

I have two concerns, first is the marketing/hype campaign.  Please, I am as close to a fanboy of this game as a 40+ year old player can be, and understand that the devs are playing all these enhancements right now,  so don't take this as a trolling post. That caveat said, I bought 2 copies of the most overhyped, most disappointing game of my life when it released.  Since both my wife and I are biologists, we were really looking forward to Spore.  Enough said.

My second concern as an 'old timer' actually goes back to my years of playing FPS before high speed.  GW2 is claiming that positioning is not only important, but will be a neccesity in some combo's etc.  This was, and still is, an inexact science. What will happen when a lagging ele, throws up the fire wall at point A at time A, but everyone else is at Point B and Time B...hope that makes some sense.

As some have pointed out, only time will tell since the game, although closer to us, is still only a wish in the devs eyes and our hearts right now.

Originally posted by SanHor

Nothing that is a game breaker for me but I hope they will include walking before release.

This has always confused me.  What benefits does walking give you?  Stealth?  I'd just rather they give us a 'sneak' mode ala Oblivion, hold a key and creep (way slower than a walk btw), tied to a notice that you are succeeding or failing.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

NCSoft and the "free" community in a PvP game.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Originally posted by Herodes

NCSoft has never had much to do with Guild Wars, they pretty much let Arenanet handle it all and dont screw things up for them, and Arenanet has stated that relationship is staying the same with GW2. Also, the game is not "free", there is just no monthly subscription. You still need to pay for the box + any expansions and other optional things in their cash shop. GW1 community was pretty good and it followed the same model.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Reizlanzer

Granted, we don't know much - and in attempt to keep this OP as short as possible while retaining my point, allow me to ask this question after a bit of backstory...

I have been an MMORPG gamer since EQ back in '99. I have gone through quite a few different games and been at the year long pre-release hype parties for others. I never got sucked into the WAR/AOC > WoW debacle. Frankly, I don't think I have been this excited for an MMORPG ever. So far, I have seen nothing (and please, try to remember that I am quoting things that are actually announced thus far - not attempting to create a speculation thread) that I dislike about this game. It is right down my alleyway, a large number of classes - a new twist on combat - good graphics - excellent storytelling methods - the heritage that says GW2 will have staying power - unique mechanics and skill combinations.

So I mean, that is most of the stuff that we know about the game thus far - and assumedly the stuff we all like. Have you seen anything you don't like?

Yeah I don't like the fact that it's Guild Wars.  No honestly I hope it rocks but I just couldn't get into the first Guild Wars I played it for a few weeks but it reminded me too much of DDO (which I didn't like at the time either as a paid sub mmo).  And I know GW didn't have a sub either but honestly there was nothing to draw me in.  I prefer ip's I'm familiar with so I tend to not get into games with original lore so in the end I just lost interest.

I did like the systems to the game and such it just wasn't for me but I do hope they deliver as they seemed to have for the last time.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by kaiser3282

NCSoft has never had much to do with Guild Wars, they pretty much let Arenanet handle it all and dont screw things up for them, and Arenanet has stated that relationship is staying the same with GW2. Also, the game is not "free", there is just no monthly subscription. You still need to pay for the box + any expansions and other optional things in their cash shop. GW1 community was pretty good and it followed the same model.

Actually I mean exact this young GW1 community. ;) But last time I played the game 5 years ago. So it may have changed.
    NCSoft, because since 3-4 months I get phishing mails for GW1 and Aion although I never touched Aion. And if you look in the Aion section here, you may find several threads from people who were hacked, when their account was inactive. It sounded as if NCSofts Database... well, speculation.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Actually I mean exact this young GW1 community. ;) But last time I played the game 5 years ago. So it may have changed.

NCSoft, because since 3-4 months I get phishing mails for GW1 and Aion although I never touched Aion. And if you look in the Aion section here, you may find several threads from people who were hacked, when their account was inactive. It sounded as if NCSofts Database... well, speculation.

That's kind of what i meant, we all know NCSoft has done some pretty stupid things with AION, but NCSoft both developed and published AION, where with GW they are only the publisher, not the developer. We've never really seen similar problems in GW1 that we see in AION, and from what they have said that will continue with GW2.

It's possible they may screw with GW2, but it seems highly unlikely.

• NoEndInLifeNoEndInLife Member Posts: 189

The thing I hate the most would have to be that I'm really getting excited for GW2.

"Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet." -Bob Marley

I'm probably one of those people who just get wet.

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

Originally posted by Roybe

This has always confused me.  What benefits does walking give you?  Stealth?  I'd just rather they give us a 'sneak' mode ala Oblivion, hold a key and creep (way slower than a walk btw), tied to a notice that you are succeeding or failing.

It is not about giving you benefits to combat, skills or the like. Roleplayers would probably say it benefits the roleplaying experience but since I am not much of a roleplayer for me it simply offers me the possibility to walk when I feel like it. When I play MMOs it is not all about skill progression, getting best equipment and then PvE/PvP untill I master it. To the contrary, I spend great amount of time doing meaningless stuff like exploring the world or decorating my own home if I can have one. 

For the same reason character animations is something that will make or break the game for me. If I enjoy watching my char in combat (like I did my Teras Kasi char in SWG, just to give an example) then I can lose 9/10 fights every time and still feel epic and enjoy the game. Clumsy animations made me quit Fallen Earth despite many things I loved in that game. I just couldn't enjoy it.

EDIT

The video provided in the link is not mine.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Lack of any kind of death penalty is a HUGE turn off. Nothing sucks me more into the character than feeling the world is actually dangerous. 

Originally posted by Roybe

"it simply offers me the possibility to walk when I feel like it."

Nothing wrong with this!  Just was wondering, player choices is as important as gameplay in these types of games!