Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark and Light Delayed to Q4 2005

-Inferno--Inferno- Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 325

Comments

• WotannWotann Member Posts: 294
    This is just what we could expect. Hopefully this will be the last delay.

Nemo sine vitio est

• NellusNellus Member UncommonPosts: 247

On one hand the delays don't look very good to the public, but on the other.. at least they're trying to get things right and not just release a faulty game to the public.

My condolences for the DnL faithful. I've been in your shoes. It does indeed suck. However, I have no doubts that DnL will make it out on the market at some point in the future. Just have a little more patience and your gaming dreams may come true.

Look at it this way.. more time for them to accept you into beta, so you can find out if you enjoy the (unfinished) game, and maybe start looking in a new direction if not. Granted, testing is the real point of a beta.. but I don't know anyone who doesn't gauge their interest at the same time they're testing.

I don't plan to be playing DnL(not my cup of tea), but will gladly help them test and try to work things out if called upon. Why? Well, it looks like a great game.

Note: Isn't it so much nicer when people don't feel they have to knock a game in order to promote a game that they like more, in every single thread?

- Nellus

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Not entirely surprising, given that the game was due end of April 05 and there still isn't a great deal of substantial information. Whilst I am all for delaying games to improve them, I can empathize with gamers who are becoming rather tired of proposed release dates, only to have them rescinded. Developers/publishers need to be more honest with their potential player-base and maybe utilize the undeveloped news section to communicate with this player-base rather than fob them off with hype and release dates that serve to fuel expectation without delivering.

When I played EVE Online back in summer 2003, one of the best developments was a blog written by one of their coders who used the forum to enage and communicate with players regarding forthcoming projects that would shape the game. It allowed the community to voice their approval or constructive criticism, but more importantly allowed the community to become engaged and didn't set unrealistic expectations by stating that x would be definitely realeased at y date.

It seems to be that companies want it both ways: an engaged community built up from a potential player-base, but one to be fed with scraps of information and to be content with such scraps.

This isn't a blast directly at D'n'L, as I am looking forward (I think? I'm not so sure of my feelings towards the MMOG concept these days) to this game. But I am getting irritated at the attitude of developers/publishers towards the community at large, taken it as a given.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• ghostinfinitghostinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 552
    I'm really bummed at this most recent delay.  They really should be more sure of their release dates before they promise them.  This feels like when you go to a restaurant and the guy at the door is telling everyone "20 minutes" just to keep them from walking away.  What they don't seem realize is that you can't  you build our hopes up and crush them over and over.  By the time it DOES in fact come out we're not all going to flock to it.  I respect the developers trying to get the game "right" but I'm starting to believe they bit off more than they can chew.  I was waiting patiently for the release of DnL but I think I'm going to give another game a try.  Perhaps if I read enough good things AFTER it releases I might be persuaded to give it a go.  As for waiting for it's next promised date, I don't have enough faith in the dev team and I refuse to be let down again. 
  • DremvekDremvek Member UncommonPosts: 160

I have no problems with the delay. I'm so tired of games being released only 3/4 finished with the anticipation that things will be patched in later. This rarely works, and ends up destroying the game in the short term. Many of these games never truly recover to what their potential could have been. Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call 2, Horizons, SWG, etc could have all been spectacular games, though they had huge issues at or shortly after launch, and they still haven't recovered.

Dark and Light doesn't have a lot of big names to compete against right now in terms of launch. Guild Wars and D&D online are the only 2 major games that I'm aware of that are coming out between now and Q4 2005. Even these I think are more niche games, without the broad based appeal of EQ2 or WoW. They have the luxury of waiting until the game is solid, and I'm glad they're taking advantage of it so the game will be that much better from the start. Plus, it will have the benefit of all of the people bored with WoW and EQ2 looking to try something new.

• ZrTyZrTy Member Posts: 26
    lets just hope this is the last delay image

It's hard to live and easy to die..

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Technical issues..hmm refer to my other thread. I figure sooner or later server technology will advance to the point where 50k gamers can play on a single shard... just not yet and probably not by Q4 of this year. 

I am nitpicking here but when will gamers learn it's losing patience not loosing patience. There is no such word as loosing. I can tolerate it in a forum post but when Stratics uses it on their front page it just irritates the crap out of me.

I miss DAoC

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780

Hey, at least their actually trying to release a complete game. Unlike some OTHER developers...who shall BOTH remain nameless...who release games early just to compete with eachother.

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Originally posted by Kane
    Hey, at least their actually trying to release a complete game. Unlike some OTHER developers...who shall BOTH remain nameless...who release games early just to compete with eachother.

gee, that is hard to figure out. Hmmmmmmmmmm

*cough*WOW*cough*EQ2*cough*

• ApocalApocal Member Posts: 68
    I waited 4 years for Everquest 2, built up the number one guild for our server before release only to find that once the game released it was one of the worst games that I had ever played.  I've played the majority of the MMORPGs since TR and UO were first released, and I have vowed to never wait for a computer game again.  I find that if I can find something to "tide me over" then I am much happier, the only problem is the lack of good games out there.  I am always tempted to go back to Ultima Online after my first interactions oh sooooo many years ago, but the game has far changed.  I look forward to seeing DnL come out and am indifferent as far as the set back.  Yes, it is a little bit disapointing, but now days you can expect a 6 month - 2 years delay from all games.  Guild Wars is the only one that I don't think will have a delay, as I have betaed it extensively.  For those of you who haven't gone through as many MMORPGs as myself... just a tip... don't wait for the MMORPG to come out, you will find your life flying away as you wait for the days to pass.
  • WotannWotann Member Posts: 294

Satange made a post here: http://www.darkandlight.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15307

We'll get an official announcement about the new release date by the end of this month.

Nemo sine vitio est

• AjurasofBorgAjurasofBorg Member Posts: 6

ARG

This depresses me. Just got bored with WoW and just found out about this game recently. Thought my prayers to end the bordem was answered.

Hopefully I can hack it until then, game sounds awsome so it's gonna be tough.

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Originally posted by AjurasofBorg
    ARGThis depresses me. Just got bored with WoW and just found out about this game recently. Thought my prayers to end the bordem was answered.Hopefully I can hack it until then, game sounds awsome so it's gonna be tough.

Just think how those players who found this game since 2002-2003 feel, but then again, they're probably in beta right now enjoying the sight of the world ::::02::

Originally posted by Xzaro

ARG

This depresses me. Just got bored with WoW and just found out about this game recently. Thought my prayers to end the bordem was answered.
    Hopefully I can hack it until then, game sounds awsome so it's gonna be tough.

Just think how those players who found this game since 2002-2003 feel, but then again, they're probably in beta right now enjoying the sight of the world ::::02::

not all of them like me, only the VERY lucky ones image

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

ARGThis depresses me. Just got bored with WoW and just found out about this game recently. Thought my prayers to end the bordem was answered.Hopefully I can hack it until then, game sounds awsome so it's gonna be tough.

Ha! I was hoping I could leave WoW for a good MMORPG too. Guess It won't be anytime soon.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

pretty disapointing - not a bad choice tho if it really helps to improve the game. But honestly - a delay of half a year is much if it is only for some finetuning. Makes me wonder if they have the same problems like the guys from Dragon Empires...at least it was the same approach conceining world size /server load.

Well we'll see, but I won't follow this one anymore

• MichkeMichke Member UncommonPosts: 106

The official post is made on the darkandlight website.

I'm looking forward to devchat and I'll cross my fingers for the next 2,500 closed betatesters.

-

• milumilu Member Posts: 37

well I m pretty sure that when the game finally launches some "experts" will say "why cant they fix the game before releasing it and blalala , so much lag, so buggy blalala". 

• DekuDeku Member Posts: 42

Guild Wars and D&D online are the only 2 major games that I'm aware of that are coming out between now and Q4 2005. Even these I think are more niche games, without the broad based appeal of EQ2 or WoW.

Niche games?lol DnD is the most popular rpg ever and Guild wars was played by five hundred thousand people in one open event that lasted 3 days when the game was still in alpha last october. DnL wont be able to attract anything like the numbers these games will.......

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars"
    - Oscar Wilde

• FinduilasFinduilas Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by Jackdog
    I am nitpicking here but when will gamers learn it's losing patience not loosing patience. There is no such word as loosing. I can tolerate it in a forum post but when Stratics uses it on their front page it just irritates the crap out of me.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

One entry found for loose.
    Main Entry: 2loose
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): loosed; loos·ing
    transitive senses
    1 a : to let loose : RELEASE b : to free from restraint
    2 : to make loose : UNTIE <loose a knot>
    3 : to cast loose : DETACH
    4 : to let fly : DISCHARGE
    5 : to make less rigid, tight, or strict : RELAX
    intransitive senses : to let fly a missile (as an arrow) : FIRE

I understand what you mean tho', "losing" is corrct in this context.

Release date CHANGED!! again image to November 2005...

• TzaleTzale Member Posts: 143

This really sucks but what can you do? I am realling looking forward to this release also, it looks to be a very promising game.

See ya in Q4 2005!

• DiablosuX102DiablosuX102 Member Posts: 1

I also can't wait for this game to release...I hope they don't push it back anymore

::::05:: The graphics are amazing ::::02::

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

They need to at least start inviting more people into beta.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • dingofxdingofx Member Posts: 60
    They've already started to invite 2500 more beta testers. I only wish that I was one of them. image

Shadow Exile