Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A MMO of Reality

ChopesChopes Member Posts: 297

Hello, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I recently purchased a copy of EQII, received a beta key from a friend for Guild Wars, and downloaded Project Entropia. My first MMO that really drew me in was World of Warcraft. This was decided by me after trying various trial versions for MMO’s, all of them being “duds” for me. I am not here to ask you of a MMO that would be right for me, but I am here, posting, to ask if there will be a more realistic MMO that would be released any time in the near future. One of the many MMO’s that I have experienced being Project Entropia, claimed that they had a great market, great hunting, and etc. but when I downloaded the trial, I found that all this was, was just another game: where people spammed the channels trying to sell things, where people offered little or no help to the new guy, and where the company hosting the game, or rather developing, was more interested in the money aspect of the game, rather then the game itself.

In World of Warcraft (Commonly known as WoW for all that don’t know), the market was similar to a “lets put something in the auction house and yell to see if it sells”, but for some reason it felt that they had more then any of the other MMO’s that I have played. I don’t know what this aspect of the game is, as EQII has much more to offer I believe then WoW, but for some reason doesn’t “pack the punch” the WoW does.

I am not interested in going back to WoW nor am I interested in going back to any of the other MMO’s that I have already tried. I think the problem is that if you start with something good, you will never want to go back to something less then that. I am not saying that WoW is good, but I played the game as if it was my first, and I experienced all it had, and also ran into many friendly players that helped me along. I know that there are many MMO’s that are currently in the closed and open beta stages that I might not know of, but isn’t there some MMO that has everything that WoW did and more?

I know that many people will come to this post, including many respected posters, and tell me that a game that they are following, such as Dark and Light, or Guild Wars has all that I would want and more, but I would like to see some of those who suggest these games give reasoning behind it, rather then the regular, “Play Guild Wars because its better then WoW….I pwn…0_0.”

I was reading a post on the Darkfall forums earlier this morning and I have to say I agree with it, other then the vulgar language that he used in describing his idea. I will share it with you so that you can understand where I am coming from in a MMO:

“I'm not talking multipule bonuses or even gameplay bonuses. But mostly I am.

I hate those little carebear fucking 12 year olds who run around thinking they are leet because they can beat the shit out of NPC's. Yet put them in a PvP fight and they wet themselfs.

Anyone can learn the mannerisims of an NPC or anyone can master PvE, like these yet noodles.

PvP takes the ability to adapt and overcome. Thats why its so fun.

So, lets give the PvP'ers a reason to PvP, other than just fun.

Maybe if a player gets 500 different player killes with out a death, you get a +2 in PvE to 5 choosen stats, but along with a game wide bounty. But if you ever are killed you loose those 10 points, until you kill 500 different players without dieing again.

Or maybe not combat stats, maybe tradeskill stat bonuses that will allow you to create something that someone who never PvP willn't be able to create.

I don't know, just a random thought for those of us that will use this game what it's made to be used for.”

I read a post today from a member named DrSaw stating that he wanted to play a MMO that was different from the rest: A MMO without the magic and things of that nature that makes it unrealistic. I agree with him on this aspect that magic and things of this sort make the game somewhat unrealistic, and this is not what I am looking for. One of the main reasons that I liked WoW was that ( I know this may offend many people that play WoW and might disagree with me, and I again ask them to post their comments, and not just put a random post saying that my perspective on the game is wrong) the magical element of the game was almost so unrealistic that I couldn’t believe that it was real in the first place.

Many posted about dreaming in MMO, such as you would dream in the perspective of your avatar, and check you inventory etc. but I can’t understand this because most of the games that I have played are so unrealistic that there is no way that I would ever, even subconsciously think that they are real in the first place.

One of the things that I also like about Darkfall that I will share with you is their theme of housing that may come into play when Darkfall gets released. This as well comes from the forums of Darkfall:

“I think the fact that private housing will be invulnerable to sieging is bad. Basically because whatever can be built should also be able to be destroyed. Otherwise you'd have a situation where you can just plant a house anywhere and it will be there forever... even if its the only house that person can have on that account. It just creates easily exploitable situations.

This is not to say that a house shouldn't be granted protection... but that's what a clanstone is for. Plus tying invulnerabilitiy into the mechanics of a clanstone makes sure that only "friendly" structures would have protection... But i've explained my idea on housing protection many many times, so I'll let you search for it if you're interested. The basic idea is that you would have to pay the clanstone for protection, and the farther you built from the clanstone the more you have to pay. There would also be certain different grades of protection. Anyway, its out there if you'd like to see it.”

For anyone who is wondering I played these games for extended amounts of time, not just for a couple days, maybe a couple months. I would really appreciate any comments on this article or any feedback someone might have for me on the issue of a MMO that doesn’t seem like it will be so unrealistic I would laugh when someone said they dreamt in MMO.

I would like to thank all the readers who took the time to read this,

-Alex Chopra (Chopes)

http://www.OriginNow.com
Free File Hosting at Origin Now - 100 Megabyte Max Upload Per File

Comments

• entranaentrana Member Posts: 106

If you want a really realistic mmorpg the only one i personally would recommend is wurm online i have to warn you though its not for the casual player and its not easy.Dont fear the graphics theyre still being worked on but if you get past that its a solid immersive game ::::02::

• Blood_HawkBlood_Hawk Member Posts: 86

I've been playing the FoMK beta for a while now and it's pretty realistic, hell we've even repeated history a little in game. There's a group known as the CMG(a corporate dictator) and they basically rose up taking all these colonies and the Dominion(the democratic factions) rose up and slapped them down much like what was done to Germany in WWI. We basically took all their territories and left them with one colony. We accpeted their surrender yesterday. Was quite fun. Other than that though the game is seriously lacking in content.

• ChopesChopes Member Posts: 297

Originally posted by entrana

If you want a really realistic mmorpg the only one i personally would recommend is wurm online i have to warn you though its not for the casual player and its not easy.Dont fear the graphics theyre still being worked on but if you get past that its a solid immersive game ::::02::

Currenly in beta testing? Maybe im wrong about this, but if so, are they still accepting new applicants?

• entranaentrana Member Posts: 106

well its in alpha/beta but theres going to be a map reset soon(sometime in april i think) where they will be adding 3d tiles (for caves/mining etc) and character skeletons and more but yes right now its in very early open beta

What good does that do me? ;p

Just kidding, thanks for the info, Ill check it out, when it comes final or if I can get my hands on a beta key.

• StukovStukov Member Posts: 180

I might recommend A Tale in the Desert. To me, that game was truly a community of people working to accomplish goals. No combat, and can be a bit repetitive, but much more realistic in my mind. With the exception of new players, most people aren't running around "omg does any1 hav blahblah" or the such. Instead, they go to a nearby camp, ask someone they know who might have it, check IRC, etc...As far as I know, it still offers a trial.

As for Wurm Online, its actually quite similar to ATITD, though I have not played it much. I'd say to try em both out, see if they're what you're looking for ;)

Thx for the info, thats 2 games I have to try on my list, any others?