Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Need for Speed World – E3 Hands-On

2»

Comments

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Number 2 was an issue for me too. It's not about skill or even luck so much as who has the most power-ups. This game is going to have more pay to win issues than I have seen in any other MMO so far.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Originally posted by Vrika

I just tested the open beta up to level 8. I think the graphics are nice enough, and I didn't encounter too much bugs or technical problems, but the gameplay is boring and badly done:

1: I like arcade racing, but the game takes arcade too far. The cars turn so well, that there's never any need to use brake or slow down before a corner. You can just acclerate from start to finish, and unless the player in front of you makes a mistake, he's doing the same and there's no way to catch up by being a better driver.

This is very true. Driving any car is so easy it has no learning curve at all. Every race could be won without touching the brake. Which reminds me, I noticed that for the circuit race the car with the most top speed is going to win if no powerups are used. Because in that race you are holding your max speed most of the time on all of the turns.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Well.... I played the OB. The game, while lacking any bugs that I saw, the game was just horrible. It felt like I was playing a badly done Mario Kart. Graphics are ok, but everything from handling to collisions is just ..... bleh. 

And... thanks to APB, I actually have something to compare it to. As far as MMO car handling and such goes............ APB does it a great deal better. You can get hit and spun out, turning requires you to slow down a bit first or hit that hand break and sort of power slide into your turn. APB's driving is actually what I expected to see in NFSW as it reminds me of NFSU or Tokyo Drift. 

Sad that I find the kind of driving feel from APB yet get a Mario Kart experience from NFSW. 

But in the end.... I think this game just wasn't made for a my kind of gamer. Doesn't mean it's bad I guess as everything seemed to work. It just doesn't work in a way that appeals to me. 

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

I think maybe this game appeals to people like me that don't normally play driving games. I usually play regular mmorpg's. I've tried a few racing games over the years but just can't get into them. I got Dirt 2 bundled with my HD 5870 graphics card a few months ago and was bored with it after about 20 minutes.

However, I love NFSW so much, I ordered the starter pack without a second thought. The thing is though, I notice most of the complaints here seem to be about the racing. Quite honestly, I hardly ever bother with the racing, it's the cop chases that have me hooked. Smashing up cars and property is just a good way to let off steam for an hour or two and a welcome break from the more in-depth mmorpgs I usually play.

It reminds me a lot of the best parts of Auto Assault, which I also enjoyed until the end game. The only other game where driving was heavily featured and that I recall liking a lot ,was the original "Mafia" some years back. I've had Mafia 2 preordered since last year and am hugely looking forward to it's release next month if it's not delayed again.

So I think my perspective on this is if you take driving games seriously, you probably won't like it but if you just want to have a bit of fun letting off steam by smashing up cars and property, levelling up and earning cash for better cars as you do so , then you probably will.

Oh! and one final thing. I don't know why someone said there aren't many cars available, My level 12 character has a huge choice available. Of course, having pre-ordered, I am not restricted to level 10 like most of the people posting here are, so I have a slightly better knowledge of what's available after that.

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

Maybe because there are not alot cars to choose from and several auto manufacturers are not in the game yet reaperuk?

Compared the MotorCity Online which was released around 10yrs ago NFS: World is lacking severely.

Simple matter for EA to fix, or wait for... EA will offer all the cars that seem to be missing and the auto manufacturers missing from the game in the Cash Store!

And people will end up paying money for missing content, then a little bit later EA will just offer stuff ingame with a patch once its been milked in the cash store.

StarTrek Online is a prime example of this.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by reaperuk

I think maybe this game appeals to people like me that don't normally play driving games. I usually play regular mmorpg's. I've tried a few racing games over the years but just can't get into them. I got Dirt 2 bundled with my HD 5870 graphics card a few months ago and was bored with it after about 20 minutes.

I'm not a big fan of racing games, although I love other driving games, from Twisted Metal to GTA.  I think as a racing game, of course NFSW is going to fall short, simply because its an MMO.  They need to make up for the limitations therein, by adding other gameplay elements, and taking advantage of the social dynamic.  I felt they did both relatively well.

They aimed fairly low, as part of the free-to-play model, and that probably suits an MMO racing game pretty well.  That's probably why they were able to get it nice and polished.  I predict this game will actually do fairly well, as such.  

Maybe the problems with MCO had more to do with marketing, branding, and the development and pricing model.  It was probably more costly for a niche game like this, back in the early days of the MMO world, before they figured out there could be more money could be made from free-to-play system, if the game were designed for it.  Might be why MCO was better, though.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.