Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Desktop or Labtop?

13»

Comments

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Originally posted by Catamount

Originally posted by eycel

It just seems to me like your being unreasonable, and you have nothing more to say other then to critique my opionions.  I can care less about what you think of my opinions.  You need to come up with some of your own to make your replys justified. 

Since when do you get to dictate what justifies a response? Are you the OP? Is this your thread? Your arrogance is astounding.

What's even more astoundingly arrogant on your part is that you think this is about you and your opinions. If you could take three minutes and drop the "OMG, everything is about ME, and every little disagreement with what I say has to be taken as a personal insult" complex, you might realize that I'm not commenting on your opinions, just your facts and your propensity to offer opinions as if they were facts. You're entitled to whatever opinion you please, but I care about facts here, no opinions, and the factual answer to the OP's inquiry is simply that desktops perform the function of gaming better than laptops.

If he wants to give more information about his situation and ask what kind of machine fits his lifestyle better, then we can talk about other issues, but he didn't; he just asked a pointed question about the capability of two types of computers in a certain capacity. Both are capable; desktops are more capable (whether or not it constitutes "overkill" in your personal opinion, because that's not what he asked either). It's really that simple.

So What you call being unreasonable is nothing more than giving the factual answer to the OP's specific inquiry, and pointing out that your personal opinions, well-founded or not, do not address that inquiry. Beyond that, I'm simply asking you to back your supposed factual assertions with citations and examples, and it doesn't say much for you that you aren't willing to. None of this has anything to do with judging the validity of your personal opinions, and frankly, if you want to call this being unreasonable, then that, too, is a personal opinion, and I have no comment on it either way, because you're entitled to those. As I said before, I just care about facts.

What I mean is if your going to take this thread any further do it in your own direction.  Commenting off me is becoming abtuse. 

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

It just seems to me like your being unreasonable, and you have nothing more to say other then to critique my opionions.  I can care less about what you think of my opinions.  You need to come up with some of your own to make your replys justified. 

Since when do you get to dictate what justifies a response? Are you the OP? Is this your thread? Your arrogance is astounding.

What's even more astoundingly arrogant on your part is that you think this is about you and your opinions. If you could take three minutes and drop the "OMG, everything is about ME, and every little disagreement with what I say has to be taken as a personal insult" complex, you might realize that I'm not commenting on your opinions, just your facts and your propensity to offer opinions as if they were facts. You're entitled to whatever opinion you please, but I care about facts here, no opinions, and the factual answer to the OP's inquiry is simply that desktops perform the function of gaming better than laptops.

If he wants to give more information about his situation and ask what kind of machine fits his lifestyle better, then we can talk about other issues, but he didn't; he just asked a pointed question about the capability of two types of computers in a certain capacity. Both are capable; desktops are more capable (whether or not it constitutes "overkill" in your personal opinion, because that's not what he asked either). It's really that simple.

So What you call being unreasonable is nothing more than giving the factual answer to the OP's specific inquiry, and pointing out that your personal opinions, well-founded or not, do not address that inquiry. Beyond that, I'm simply asking you to back your supposed factual assertions with citations and examples, and it doesn't say much for you that you aren't willing to. None of this has anything to do with judging the validity of your personal opinions, and frankly, if you want to call this being unreasonable, then that, too, is a personal opinion, and I have no comment on it either way, because you're entitled to those. As I said before, I just care about facts.

What I mean is if your going to take this thread any further do it in your own direction.  Commenting off me is becoming abtuse. 

Hey there, Mr Pot, meet Kettle here. I bet you two will make the best of friends.

Sarcasm aside, the rest of what I've said stands. Oh, and, for the record, the only direction I've tried to take this thread in is the direction set by the OP in the first place. It's you who's constantly tried to tangent it elsewhere, hence why I've had to keep correcting you on all the ridiculous red herrings.

Hey there, Mr Pot, meet Kettle here. I bet you two will make the best of friends.

Sarcasm aside, the rest of what I've said stands. Oh, and, for the record, the only direction I've tried to take this thread in is the direction set by the OP in the first place. It's you who's constantly tried to tangent it elsewhere, hence why I've had to keep correcting you on all the ridiculous red herrings.

Theres still plenty of room for discusion by other people in this thread.   

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

You'll only pay much more for the same thing (probably less powerful) if you go laptop instead of desktop. If at home gaming is your only concern then it's desktop all the way.

But unless you plan on traveling around a lot, buses, trains, etc, then and only then would it be worth the extra cash for a laptop. There are some pretty powerful ones out there, specifically alienwares newest, but even those are apparently just barely able to play new games (like MW2) with a decent framerate, and yet those cost like 2-3 times more than what you'd pay for a better desktop..

I do like the sound of this Labtop thing though, is it a portable E.R. table? Man someone should get Dexter one of these. :P

• SpezzSpezz Member Posts: 141

Desktop for when at home, laptop for when I'm going to game with irl-ians.

In a perfect world...

I don't game with irl-ians. ;p

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Do I smell a strawman? I've never said anything that's contrary to this statement. Does it change the fact that you've been factually wrong is pretty much every assertion you've made, and that all of your arguments have revolved around red herrings, personal opinions, and assertions that you refuse to back with citations or specific and narrowly tailored examples of any kind? Of course it doesn't.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

desktop hands down.  unless the portability is worth a few hundred more, it's really not even worth thinking about.

Do I smell a strawman? I've never said anything that's contrary to this statement. Does it change the fact that you've been factually wrong is pretty much every assertion you've made, and that all of your arguments have revolved around red herrings, personal opinions, and assertions that you refuse to back with citations or specific and narrowly tailored examples of any kind? Of course it doesn't.

All your doing is giving me a headach making nasty replys at me like this. 

• jammertk10jammertk10 Member CommonPosts: 88

Eycel, in your first post your first argument for choosing a laptop is that you own one and you use one. The OP asked which is better for gaming. The fact of the matter is a dekstop is better for gaming, price : performance ratio, performance in general, and even in longevity situations. A laptop cannot beat this, you might prefer one for whatever reasons you decide, I'm not here to interfere with your opinions, I'm here to state this. Don't give a *flawed* suggestion simply based on opinion. If you want to be a fair divider or be taken seriously, answer with fact (that you can support *if need be*).  That being said I would like to reassert with due respect the fact that I do not condone or intend to conform your opinion, I am simply providing a logical response to posts that might confuse the OP or anyone else who so happens to roam these forums looking for honest advice. 

God Bless and Happy 4th,

Jamm/Beo

“The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.” - Voltaire
    i5-750 OC'd to 4.0Ghz - PNY GTX 470 Performance Edition - Western Digital 2X2TB in RAID 0 - Samsung BD Drive - 4GB DDR3 2000Mhz - CM Storm Scout

• theinhibitortheinhibitor Member Posts: 48

Agreed. This started off as "Desktop or Labtop" (i dont know what a labtop is hehe...)

Anyways, performance wise, without regard to resale, desktops own laptops so hard its not even a debate. 

My friend does work for an animation studio and he does everything on a copper cooled monster because even with the highest performance alienware, he couldnt render 8 frames per hour (at some crazy DPI of course....). but this is for his animation programs. for a game, just make sure whatever you buy has a good graphics card (esp if its a laptop). u can always upgrade RAM and RAM is COMPLETELY overrated. to all programmers and computer engineers, RAM is one of the industries biggest scams. if you think you need more than 4g, youve been brainwashed. u also probably dont know what RAM is used for.

I dont understand where this whole resale stuff came in. lets be honest, technology moves at such a pace that your laptop or desktop is pretty much worthless after a year. sure you can get your $300 on it if its in good condition and was originally 1500. but who cares? why would you even resell it?

/theinhibitor/

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

far too much ranting about computer parts... which have nothing to do with the subject which is better.

fact is. for cost

desktops dominate laptops. simple reason desktop parts are alot cheaper and easier to get. you can buy more desktop parts 2nd hand even if you really need to save. 

the only time a laptop is good for gaming is if you drop alot of money in to it. a pre-build laptop i have run across for decent gaming power.. costs about 1500 usd and up...

my desktop cost about 1k or roughly 800-900usd..

laptops are desized not for gaming or raw power but for mobility and spreadsheeting. more so like blackberries are for bussiness men over every day use (tho that has changed)

if you have the cash and arnt worried about porting it around on a bus or car.. get a desktop something with an I7 would do you pretty good for a few years

if you are more after mobility you will have to shop around for a decent laptop that has the power your after (will not be cheap no matter what anyone says... no laptop used for gaming is cheaper then a desktop)

• jammertk10jammertk10 Member CommonPosts: 88

Further reading of Eycel's posts has lead me to a more complete conclusion. He is either a nasty troll who gets off wanting to confuse and waste others time, in which case I quite honestly say, good luck with the world, they don't have a damn second for attention-greedy bastards like you and neither do we. Or the second scenario is he is bluntly a misinformed stubborn man who won't listen to anyone's opinion, he only intends to shove his down everyone else's throats. In either case the solution is to simply let him go on unnoticed, the cure to a misbehaving child is A) Discipline (which unfortunately cannot be dealt over the internet) or B) Starving her/him of attention. Also, in either case, I really hope you find the will and a way to change at some point, you'll get a lot further with kind words rather than harsh mud-slinging.

Regarding this thread and the OP: 

I will always recommend a desktop first. Unless you have a need for mobile GAMING, not computing, *gaming*, a dekstop is a better value. In a somewhat ideal/reasonable situation let's say you've saved up/have $1000 for a gaming solution. You can build an amazing solution that can tackle most everything gorgeously with finesse on the market.  If you're worried about having a computer for college/business or for travel,  you can build a $600 machine, easily capable of running everything with medium-high settings and then buy a $399 Acer or some other laptop in that price range to meet your mobile computing needs.

Mobile gaming is essentially not really mobile. High-end laptops lack the needed battery power to sustain without being plugged in (therefore not truly "mobile"). It's only needed for someone who intends to pack (basically) a condensed desktop + screen to travel or move to different locations (LAN parties anyone?).  You aren't going to take your computer to a professional lecture to play it there, you aren't going to lug it to work and jump on EVE there, and you aren't going to show (horrible quality gameplay of) Metro 2033 to the band performing at the local coffee shop while searching for a quick fix of wi-fi. Gaming laptops serve to fit a select few who happen to use their advantages more than the restraint and subsequent trouble of their disadvantages. This is a very, very select few, and those who are in the market for this understand the consequences of their decisions. That being said, if the OP (or anyone else) feels like they are still on the fence or want a more convincing post, read below.

The major flaws with mobile gaming are it's impractical use, lack of power, and horrible value for comparative spending. It has barely any mobility in terms of being unplugged and freely moving. 17" is rather large and the battery drain on a performing machine is huge, think about what size power supply you would use to power a desktop continuously with similar performance. Making that go anywhere is a horrible strain and is simply senseless. You will spend a (couple of) thousand on this machine to get it mobile, and it will not perform nearly as well as something secure, stable, and ideally in a controlled environment. If you want to get a laptop that can run games at max settings (which is what GAMERS build for) you will drop a couple thousand for something that will get hotter than a dekstop, have limited battery life, and be for the most part extremely fragile (not to mention chained down by a bulky power cord). 

Feel free to criticize/request logical evidence,

Jamm/Beo

P.S. Happy 4th and God bless!

“The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.” - Voltaire
    i5-750 OC'd to 4.0Ghz - PNY GTX 470 Performance Edition - Western Digital 2X2TB in RAID 0 - Samsung BD Drive - 4GB DDR3 2000Mhz - CM Storm Scout

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

The one and ONLY reason to buy a gaming laptop over a desktop is if portability is really REALLY, I mean REEEAAAALLLLLY important to you. Firstly, on average a decent gaming laptop is going to cost far more than its equivelant, if not even better, gaming desktop. Secondly, laptops are exponentialy less reliable than desktops in terms of performance and longevity, especialy longevity. They are just too damn cramped, heat eventualy kills all laptops, its inevitable, the wear and tear caused by general use even is multiplied many times over that of a desktop.

SO in closing, if its not CRITICAL your gaming pc is portable, for the love of god, buy a desktop.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • fat78fat78 Member Posts: 7

True addictive gamers get both, so they're always prepared to game. lol

F.A.T

Originally posted by fat78

True addictive gamers get both, so they're always prepared to game. lol

I have both but I dont think I could go on without my laptop, and to jammer I dont know what to say I guess just thanks for ruining my day... ;)

• warcraftprstwarcraftprst Member Posts: 4

Desktop by far is superior, performance-wise, to a laptop.  You can currently purchase laptops that will run games perfectly, and you would be fine.  If you want to play your games on lunchbreaks, or breaks inbetween classes, or just while sitting in front of the telelvision (if you desktop isn't near one anyway)  then go with a laptop (it will most likely cost a pretty penny for a high performance laptop) I also like laptops because I can attach these awesome skins to them 11!!! ---> http://blog.sticviews.com/decals/gamer-art-stickers-decals/