Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on what the new expansion will be.

GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

I'm getting thoughts that the new expansion will have something to do with Luclin or Velious personally. Im leaning more toward Luclin as Underfoot is part of the dwarves that created the cultrual armor from Velious and SoD had more to do with Original EQ and Kunark. I think SoE knows the messed up the first time around on Luclin and want to fix the stigma finally. I feel the new expansion will be similar in difficulty to Underfoot but raise the level cap to 90 aswell. Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

P.S. i know speculating doesnt do anything but it makes for good conversation 99% of the time

Comments

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

god I miss EQ. I havent played in years and only played EQ2 for about a year like...4 years ago. I still hold EQ in high regaurds and brag about it in WoW all the time. It's just to old for me to go back to. EQ needs EQ 3 and needs to draw all the player base from EQ 1 and 2 to it some how. that would be a WoW killer.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Originally posted by Joshua69

god I miss EQ. I havent played in years and only played EQ2 for about a year like...4 years ago. I still hold EQ in high regaurds and brag about it in WoW all the time. It's just to old for me to go back to. EQ needs EQ 3 and needs to draw all the player base from EQ 1 and 2 to it some how. that would be a WoW killer.

As much as EQ is a way better game then WoW it will never ever ever be a WoW killer. EQ playerbase will and always will max out in the 400k range of people. Thats not a WoW killer by any means.

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

I said in another post a few days ago, they should make EQ3, and let players bring there chars from EQ 1 and 2 and stop EQ 1 and 2 all together.

• TEST1212TEST1212 Member Posts: 4

Everquest has simply refused to modernize and keep up with some of the most basic improvements in the MMO genre over the past 10 years.  I played it during LDON era and stopped toward the release of GoD.  The UI needs serious work and forum posters have been clamoring for updated player models.  New NPC models have recieved better updates than player character models over the years.  They always cite lack of resources and too much development time and at this point it may be true but eq even during its height buried its head in the sand while other mmo's , namely WoW, were introducing mechanics that were head and shoulders above Everquest.  Namely EQ has been in dire need of character stats cleanup and clarity, and AA bloat.  AA bloat is so bad characters need over 1000 of them just to be able to participate effectively in current EQ content.  AA's should have been reorganized, and consolidated long before now.  The list goes on but at least the game is still going strong at 10 years. 

Player housing is nice, but seems out of context in Everquest considering the guild lobby and guild hall.  For guildless toons this will definitely be a nice boon though.  i can't help but think other basic more needed improvements got sidelined for what will probably be a station cash cow for them.  

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

EQ actually has modernized over the recent years.  I was skeptical about EQ until I actually went back to the game a year ago with my g/f and a friend who never played EQ before.  We had a blast for a full year playing it. I was surprised at some of the changes they've made to the game, some of which I didn't think was possible.  This housing thing would be just another thing that normally people wouldn't think you'd see in this 10 year old game.  But here it is, in just a few months we'll have housing, and it isn't EQ2's style of cheap apartments either.  You get to have actual housing plots and visible housing structures the way DAOC had it.  It will be great and lots of people will like it.

It's true the one thing that holds the game back is the player character models.  I myself have been a loud voice on the official forums about it.  Even devs have all clearly stated they all want new player character models.  But apparently they just can't get the funding from management for it, as one dev stated it would cost over a million just to redo all the character models and animations.  SOE suits kinda suck that way, they think just because they have a prettier game in EQ2, and that EQ3 is indeed in the works, so they are stingy about forking over the money to upgrade these Luclin-era models.  It's really too bad.

Rest of the game has been upgraded though, from NPC models (they look really nice these days), to environment and structures.  This next expansion will further expand on utilizing blooming effects so lightning will look even better.  Feature-wise, it has removed a lot of the old tedium, and added a lot of the new age features.  Mercenaries are like henchmen in Guild Wars, they were a great addition to the game 2 years ago. 

The UI actually is better and quite flexible.  The problem is the way they leave it by default makes it look bad, but after you tweak it a bit with default options, you can make it look pretty modern.  I like it that you can move everything, unlike some of the default UI we see today even in games like WoW where you can't move the default target/group boxes without using some custom UI mods.  I know because I have to use X-perl unitframes mod just to be able to move the unitframes around in WoW.

Many people quit after GoD expansion, it was one of the worst eras of EQ history.  I was one of those that quit it to play EQ2 then WoW.  But 5 years after that, we went back to EQ and was pleasantly surprised how much it got improved.  So if you haven't played EQ since 2004/2005 I would highly recommend giving it another go.  And don't just look at the trial dungeon, that place is crappy looking and hasn't been updated in forever.  Login the real game and start in Crescent Reach, it's one of the newest newbie zones and it looks great imo.  image

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• drygonflidrygonfli Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by TEST1212

Player housing is nice, but seems out of context in Everquest considering the guild lobby and guild hall.  For guildless toons this will definitely be a nice boon though.  i can't help but think other basic more needed improvements got sidelined for what will probably be a station cash cow for them.  

The housing thing is the one part of the expansion coming up that I have to agree.  This will be a Station Cash Cow.  I feel in EQ 2 the housing was to expensive and in LOTRO same thing.  Just way to expensive.  Therefore I will stick to the Guild Hall.  If they would make better ways for us to make Plat in EQ like we use to have, then I would probably not mind. 

The rest will be good if they are thinking first of the player base.  We will see.  I am not looking forward to the level grind again however.

I am a player of EQ and have been for 8 years.  Still like it better than any other MMO.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Here's a big summary from someone that was at the fan faire:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=167083

TTH also has some expansion info:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/events/fanfaire2010/eq/house-of-thule-details

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO