Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG without the Hocus Pocus.

DrSawDrSaw Member Posts: 81

I know this is going to offend a great many of you, but I am curious if there are any medieval-period MMORPGs without the magic aspect of the game (i.e., more realistic)? Personally (I fully understand that I am in the minority), I think magic ruins the realism of many RPGs and I enjoy the realism more than the "fantasy."

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

DrSaw

Comments

• penguinmanepenguinmane Member Posts: 73

wow i never even heard of such a game

some sort of magic or psyonics or superscience is always in a medevil mmorpg

maybe this will open a new niche market hehe

• DrSawDrSaw Member Posts: 81

You know, I wonder if there is a market for such games. RPGs aside, take a look at the first-person shooter (FPS) games. We've got sci-fi games, we've got Vietnam games, we've got WWII games, and there is even a Open-Source Revolutionary War FPS game.

Has there ever been a FPS game based on medieval times in which magic isn't involved? Nope. Remember the combat scenes in the movie Braveheart? Imagine a game in which combat is up-close, personal, and with a variety of weapons. I would love to see a MMORPG based on medieval life in which combat was won by the strongest AND the smartest, not by who can cast an INSTANT_DEATH spell on a level 50 barbarian armed to the teeth. ::::39::

I guess I just prefer realism. A game based on medieval culture and combat in a realistic presentation would be a breath of fresh air. I was actually kind of hopeful when I heard about Hero's Journey, thinking maybe there would be a realism-based RPG based on the time period of ancient Rome. Well, I read the reviews and I was waaaaay wrong. Apparently your player can become a god? No thanks.

DrSaw

• ZaniZani Member Posts: 16
    I would think that such a game, if it existed, would fall in the category of historical rpg. It would make for a great suggestion though. I would love to see more historical games released.
  • VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by DrSaw

You know, I wonder if there is a market for such games. RPGs aside, take a look at the first-person shooter (FPS) games. We've got sci-fi games, we've got Vietnam games, we've got WWII games, and there is even a Open-Source Revolutionary War FPS game.
    Has there ever been a FPS game based on medieval times in which magic isn't involved? Nope. Remember the combat scenes in the movie Braveheart? Imagine a game in which combat is up-close, personal, and with a variety of weapons. I would love to see a MMORPG based on medieval life in which combat was won by the strongest AND the smartest, not by who can cast an INSTANT_DEATH spell on a level 50 barbarian armed to the teeth. ::::39::
    I guess I just prefer realism. A game based on medieval culture and combat in a realistic presentation would be a breath of fresh air. I was actually kind of hopeful when I heard about Hero's Journey, thinking maybe there would be a realism-based RPG based on the time period of ancient Rome. Well, I read the reviews and I was waaaaay wrong. Apparently your player can become a god? No thanks.
    DrSaw

Die by the sword was such, there was another with very little magic involved (you could have magic items but you did not cast any spells) called "Blade of Darkness".

It is just part of the genre, i guess. but i doubt you can have a Medieval, Historical FPS. not much to shoot with unless is a bow.... But surely 3rd person action games.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• Kaos_nyrbKaos_nyrb Member Posts: 244

Roma Victor is a roman mmorpg, don't think it has magic. It may be a little off the time period your looking for but may be interesting.

• entranaentrana Member Posts: 106

heh a realistic medieval life mmorpg with perma-death sounds pretty sweet to me::::01::

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

The no healing part combined with lot of combats make it challenging to create.

I assume it would required no levels, tons of skills, permadeath and many others such feature to be really historical.

Instead of developping levels for your toons, maybe you could be working on your Family prestige and the current character you control is barely for the week at most, he would age and died by the end of the week.  The family estate, the emblems, the prestige would be what you never lose, but even physical edges should vary in time, yet maybe you could have some control over it.

There would definitely be a market for this, but to make sure peoples dont get attached to a particuliar toon, it should died before a week pass, players need to never focus on 1 toon in such a setting.  The family size does matter, if your toon is wounded, he is off for X hours or even the full day...so at start maybe you have control of 3 brothers/sisters and you are sure you will always have 3 at least(if all wounded you are restricted to estate management only), and based on what you do, you may expend or not.

As a side effect, if you accomplish a lot with a particuliar character, he may live longer, up to 2 weeks, but not in the first toons you play, only in the later, so you get used to the 1 week...anyway, just an idea.

Character creation should be only for the first toons you have, then it should vary based on a little random and who they marry with.  Of course players should be able to marry their toons to others players, which is funny as to who get which kids to control(should be outside of the players desire, as they will join 1 family or the other)...

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• geldgeld Member Posts: 129

Yes I agree with Kaos_nyrb Roma Victor is closest to what you are looking for.

The only problem with it is that it's not going to be out for a while.

It has a really good implementation of Permadeath, where most players are immortal (like most games) but if a players chooses they can become a hero. When they do their skills and stats can go up beyond everyone else, but they can permadie (I think they get a few lives before they die though, correct me if I'm wrong). That is definately worth checking out ;)

*Signature*The Pessimist says the cup is half empty. The Optimist says the cup is half full. The Pragmatist says the cup is half full of air. The Engineer says the cup is operating at 50% capacity. The Psychologist says the cup is your mother. The Punk Kid also says the cup is your mother. The Cricket Player says his cup is definately full. Everyone knows that Pamela Andersons cups are full. The Defendant says it was like that when he found it. Me, I just ask the waitress for a refill.

• DrSawDrSaw Member Posts: 81

I just visited the website of Roma Victor, and all I can say is WOW. This is a great concept. And I love how they advertise it as "non-fantasy." I have always enjoyed studying the time of the Roman Empire and, when possible, playing games based in that time. I just wonder how much draw it is going to have the MMORPG community. I wouldn't think that historial non-fantasy games would have a big market. But I guess we'll see when this game comes out.

DrSaw