Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A message for Activision-Blizzard.

Comments

• OscillateOscillate Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by cyphers

Originally posted by Oscillate

As for Blizzard employees, they have now said that they will not be using "RealID."
    ?? I thought they'd said that they would use it.
    Lol, don't tell me some of them have backed up from it already. Do you have a link to where they said that?

It's not true...this guy is just out right lying now.   Trying to mislead people.   Here is a link to employee's posting.
    WoW Forum - BLue's Posting their names  <<<  clicky

* Bashiok / Drysc posted his real life name yesterday, and had his privacy violated by people posting maps to his house, his parents' names, and (potentially incorrect) cell phone numbers.
    * We have seen multiple reports of WoW players who have called up Blizzard's support line and spoken with representatives who've told them blues will no longer be using their real names in the new forums.
    * Josh, a Blizzard phone rep said that Blizzard employees "cannot risk having their personal lives compromised by in-game issues."
    * Blizzard blue representative Rygarius locked, but did not delete nor deny, a thread on this.
    * WoW.com has emailed PR contacts within Blizzard for comment, and have not heard anything back.

Blizzard phone rep said themselves that Blizzard employees cannot risk having their personal lives compromised by in-game issues. (Not risking using it, a.k.a they're not using it)

So you say that I am "just right out lying?" Yet The info is there for all to read. At this point they have not came out and completely said they won't use it, but they are many many many more signs pointing to Blizzard posters not using RealID.

Yet you post personal shots at me, saying I don't know what I am talking about and "right out lying."

That is laughable...

If I wasn't for people like you reporting every post you didn't agree with, I would tell you what I really think of scum like yourself Teala. So to not risk another warning email from mmorpg, I will simply say that you are a bane to this website. Blocking you now to avoid any further vile being seen from your post.

(Akiraosc)

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by cyphers

As for Blizzard employees, they have now said that they will not be using "RealID."

?? I thought they'd said that they would use it.

Lol, don't tell me some of them have backed up from it already. Do you have a link to where they said that?

It's not true...this guy is just out right lying now.   Trying to mislead people.   Here is a link to employee's posting.

WoW Forum - BLue's Posting their names  <<<  clicky

* Bashiok / Drysc posted his real life name yesterday, and had his privacy violated by people posting maps to his house, his parents' names, and (potentially incorrect) cell phone numbers.

* We have seen multiple reports of WoW players who have called up Blizzard's support line and spoken with representatives who've told them blues will no longer be using their real names in the new forums.

* Josh, a Blizzard phone rep said that Blizzard employees "cannot risk having their personal lives compromised by in-game issues."

* Blizzard blue representative Rygarius locked, but did not delete nor deny, a thread on this.

* WoW.com has emailed PR contacts within Blizzard for comment, and have not heard anything back.

Blizzard phone rep said themselves that Blizzard employees cannot risk having their personal lives compromised by in-game issues. (Not risking using it, a.k.a they're not using it)

So you say that I am "just right out lying?" Yet The info is there for all to read. At this point they have not came out and completely said they won't use it, but they are many many many more signs pointing to Blizzard posters not using RealID.

Yet you post personal shots at me, saying I don't know what I am talking about and "right out lying."

That is laughable...

If I wasn't for people like you reporting every post you didn't agree with, I would tell you what I really think of scum like yourself Teala. So to not risk another warning email from mmorpg, I will simply say that you are a bane to this website. Blocking you now to avoid any further vile being seen from your post.

Posted a link right to Blizzard's own forums with a response from their very own people saying that employee's names would be visible.   You can try to paint it differently all you want...but the truth is out there.   http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25833934170&sid=1

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

California to Virginia area is pretty large move. Am I getting warmer?

Reston, VA <=> Woodbridge, VA.

Originally posted by Synthetick

Nope

• hobo9766hobo9766 Member UncommonPosts: 457

That reply means nothing as it is on page 1 of 1548+ long long before all hell broke loose.

Nope

I quit. But I'm not good at this stuff, either.

I also know I've found 75% of the people. They just happened to use more profiling and network sites. Odd that I was that off, tho, that was even with multiple IP searches pointing towards VA, but I suppose that could just be the ISP headquarters. Damn free WhoIS service.

The point is still the information is out there, and anyone semi-educated or wanting to find someone bad enough could do it. And scrounging around long enough it's easy to come across either their personal profiling/network sites or an IP address.

If you think you did find my address, and phone number just PM it and I'll let you know if you are correct.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

You live in denial :P

How about post #7010 on page 351 in WoW-europe?

• OscillateOscillate Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by hobo9766
    That reply means nothing as it is on page 1 of 1548+ long long before all hell broke loose.

ding

(Akiraosc)

If you think you did find my address, and phone number just PM it and I'll let you know if you are correct.

Still just skimming through general information. I hardly doubt given you seem pretty clean about your internet activities, or you keep them separate, that I could personally find it. But that doesn't mean someone else couldn't. I just hope for everyone's safety the issue is resolved, or worked out better than it currently is.

Just one simple Google search of my name revealed my home and cell phone number, my new address, my P.O.Box and information on my two children. Ouch.

www.facebook.com/who.vegas <== before anyone else gets creative and sneaky. Plus, I like Frontierville friends, right!?

• XianthosXianthos Member Posts: 723

Is it really only Kristina Martin without anything in between like "Kristina L Martin" or "Kristina R Martin"? :)

EvE doors

See the best doors on EvE-on!

Still just skimming through general information. I hardly doubt given you seem pretty clean about your internet activities, or you keep them separate, that I could personally find it. But that doesn't mean someone else couldn't. I just hope for everyone's safety the issue is resolved, or worked out better than it currently is.

I agree, but this is something people will just have to deal with.  If people were so concerned with privacy they wouldn't be members of Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and all the other social network sites.   I learned long ago...long ago...privacy is in out own hands...if we do not wish people to know who you are  - then keep it to yourself as much as possible.

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

Originally posted by Serenes

My name alone is going to let someone steal my ID?I could be Sammatha Bennet but I'm not and saying I am does not give me her credit cards. You need alot more then someones name too steal that shit Birth Certifcate, SSN, ID, not just a name. I can make up any name and I'm sure someone realy has that name. It sounds totaly retarded for you to say someone can steal my Idenity over just knowing my name, My account? They need Passwords, Emails, Authticator, Secret Question? Is your Secret Question your name? very sneaky ^.~ that was saracasm btw.

The same Sam from L2 who played a TH way back? 

Originally posted by Xianthos

Is it really only Kristina Martin without anything in between like "Kristina L Martin" or "Kristina R Martin"? :)

Sorry...all you get is first and last.   That is all Blizzard will be showing.   Let me give you some help though.   I use to live in Nevada, and Minnesota and California.   In fact my main cell phone still has a Minnesota area code.  Never bothered to change it yet.  LOL!

• SWGmodAlphaSWGmodAlpha Member Posts: 126

I think this is a fail move by WoW and likely being done for no other reason than making more money.

Would not be suprised if Blizzard now owns one of the companies that lets you set up alias to use for online purposes.  I mean suddenly all their users or a large number of them want to use a service like that and Blizzard just happends to reccomend one.

As far as displaying only your real name goes, you are correct that by itself mostly harmless.  However, lets face it, some times that is all a determined hacker / physco needs and people talk too much.  How many threads for your server have you seen about "Where are you from?" pop up.  Now those kind of threads become nefarious by default in my opinion.

I fail to see how WoW can truly benefit from a move like this and you better bet every employer that cares will be searching for your name on a regular basis and someone will try to connect the dots just so they can beat you over the head about it.  You can thank WoW for setting another trend that equals less freedom for the regular joe.

I agree, but this is something people will just have to deal with.  If people were so concerned with privacy they wouldn't be members of Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and all the other social network sites.   I learned long ago...long ago...privacy is in out own hands...if we do not wish people to know who you are  - then keep it to yourself as much as possible.

With websites dedicated to doing nothing but skimming profiling sites like Facebook, Twitter, MySpace etc. and compiling that information into a report similar fashion, privacy is long gone. Ever heard of Spokeo?

With that in mind, I log into the internet with the thought that anything I do or say online will be around for a while, trace directly back to me, and absolutely will not be private. I've just accustomed myself to trying to keep vital information off the net as much as possible. At the end of the day, tho, it's really no different from a virtual phone book.

The problem isn't the names being revealed, really. It's the fact everyone has direct access to the tools required to stalk and find complete strangers based off virtual information. 

Sorry...all you get is first and last.   That is all Blizzard will be showing.   Let me give you some help though.   I use to live in Nevada, and Minnesota and California.   In fact my main cell phone still has a Minnesota area code.  Never bothered to change it yet.  LOL!

Ok then i understand why it takes longer to find anything about you. Its isnt in fact full name :-)

Its isnt comparable to the blue post newb who revealed his full name.

Btw i found just a single kristy martin.

EvE doors

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

It's amazing how naive some people are. "Oh you cant find out anything by just a real name". **shakes head** there have been sites around for years that provide plenty of information with a simple name search. Hell, just go to the White Pages site or something, type in a name and theyll give you a list of addresses and phone numbers (and in some cases even the names of people you are related to / live with). You dont need to be a hacker, ANYONE can access this information. From there it's a simple matter of narrowing it down to the correct city/state, and if you happen to share a name with someone in the same city/state as you it will stil be a very short list with just a few people left to pick from in order to track you down.

Not only can that information be tracked down, but there is also the matter of things like public records which nearly anyone can request/access. Have a crime on your record? Own property? Ever been married/divorced? etc, etc... all of this information is readily available to people who barely know how to use a computer and have just a name to go on... do you people really believe a hacker cant find out much much more if they had a reason (or just felt like it) and took a few hours dedicated to finding out everything they can about you.

If any of you truly believe something like this isnt a risk, ESPECIALLY considering the clusterfuck of psychosis that makes up the population of WoW combined with the nerd / hacking talent that exists there, you're about as gullible as a toddler who believes in the easter bunny.

Ok then i understand why it takes longer to find anything about you. Its isnt in fact full name :-)

All Blizzard will reveal is a persons first and last name and only if you agree to them doing so on "their" forums.   You actually have to agree to reveal this info - if you don't - then you can't use their forums.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

It's amazing how naive some people are. "Oh you cant find out anything by just a real name". **shakes head** there have been sites around for years that provide plenty of information with a simple name search. Hell, just go to the White Pages site or something, type in a name and theyll give you a list of addresses and phone numbers (and in some cases even the names of people you are related to / live with). You dont need to be a hacker, ANYONE can access this information. From there it's a simple matter of narrowing it down to the correct city/state, and if you happen to share a name with someone in the same city/state as you it will stil be a very short list with just a few people left to pick from in order to track you down.

Not only can that information be tracked down, but there is also the matter of things like public records which nearly anyone can request/access. Have a crime on your record? Own property? Ever been married/divorced? etc, etc... all of this information is readily available to people who barely know how to use a computer and have just a name to go on... do you people really believe a hacker cant find out much much more if they had a reason (or just felt like it) and took a few hours dedicated to finding out everything they can about you.

If any of you truly believe something like this isnt a risk, ESPECIALLY considering the clusterfuck of psychosis that makes up the population of WoW combined with the nerd / hacking talent that exists there, you're about as gullible as a toddler who believes in the easter bunny.

OMG - do you know what you are saying.   I just googled my name and got 5,020,000 results.   Then I did a White pages search and there are literally thousands of Kristi and Kristina Martin's.   Good luck finding me.

All Blizzard will reveal is a persons first and last name and only if you agree to them doing so on "their" forums.   You actually have to agree to reveal this info - if you don't - then you can't use their forums.

Its not a big deal for me as i dont use their forums and the country where im from there normaly are only first and last name and nothing in between :) Didnt know that you americans got 3 names or more!? :-)

The only reason why i care about such thing, as im extremly sensitive about private info and such discussions are very interessting for me.

OMG - do you know what you are saying.   I just googled my name and got 5,020,000 results.   Then I did a White pages search and there are literally thousands of Kristi and Kristina Martin's.   Good luck finding me.

And if i would do that there wouldnt be even 1000 hits world wide. I doubt even 100. And that would be devastating if i would give out my real name to somebody.

Btw you can decrease the amount of hits for your name by using your age which is easy seen in your mmorpg.com profile. It makes it a lot of easyer (+/- 1 year).

EvE doors

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I don't know if people know this, but by opening a phone book you can get many thousands of real names of complete strangers. Crazy world.

My name is Kyle Chester Rybski. I went to Southwick High School and I currently reside in Holyoke, Massachusetts.

Have fun! image

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Well, luckily you dont have a very unique name, especially your last name. However, just to narrow it down, you mentione dhow you used to live in MN. Well let's just say i happened to be in your guild or something and you off handedly mentioned you live in MN. Try searching for Kristina Martin in MN.... 22 results for the entire state on whitepages.

Anyway, as i said youre lucky with the name, not everyone else is. Myself... i did the same, first and last name only, the entire country.... guess how many results came up...... 1, thats it, just 1 person with my name in the entire country and it shows my current address.

My last name is barely unique... it's not common but i actually went to school with and played sports with several other people who shared my last name, and it was fairly common in the state i came from, but apparently im the only person with my first name (which is very very common strangely enough).

So basically, by me simply playing WoW, any random fucktard who decided they wanted to harass or hurt me in some way for whatever reason (valid or not), could track me down with no effort at all because nobody else shares my name.

Well, luckily you dont have a very unique name, especially your last name. However, just to narrow it down, you mentione dhow you used to live in MN. Well let's just say i happened to be in your guild or something and you off handedly mentioned you live in MN. Try searching for Kristina Martin in MN.... 22 results for the entire state on whitepages.

Anyway, as i said youre lucky with the name, not everyone else is. Myself... i did the same, first and last name only, the entire country.... guess how many results came up...... 1, thats it, just 1 person with my name in the entire country and it shows my current address.

My last name is barely unique... it's not common but i actually went to school with and played sports with several other people who shared my last name, and it was fairly common in the state i came from, but apparently im the only person with my first name (which is very very common strangely enough).

So basically, by me simply playing WoW, any random fucktard who decided they wanted to harass or hurt me in some way for whatever reason (valid or not), could track me down with no effort at all because nobody else shares my name.

Can I ask you why you think you warrant someone coming and finding you to do you bodily harm?   With so many peoples names in the white pages across America - how come this doesn't happen more often?

• Molo2366Molo2366 Member Posts: 5

Funny story: Some guy on the WoW forums posted his real life name including what state he lived in. I looked him up on zabasearch.com and found only 2 addresses with phone numbers. I called both numbers and one of them was the correct number. The guy was speechless and sounded quite shaken up after the incident. I even posted his number on his thread, he kept complaining about getting harrassing calls. I got a 1 week ban from the forums. It was so worth it.

But honestly, do people actually use the WoW forums for legimitate reasons? I rarely use the WoW forums to begin with because they're retarded and pointless. Why is Blizzard pretending like anyone can just post the forums? Don't they realize that you need to have a active subscription to post on the forums? If you ban someone from the forums, the only way that person will be able to post again is if he gets a new account. Who's to say that person won't register his new account under a false name after the Real ID changes and continue trolling?

Real ID is a joke. It only screws with legitimate customers, just like DRM. They say It's to stop trolling and such, they're so full of shit.