Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A message for Activision-Blizzard.

hobo9766hobo9766 Member UncommonPosts: 457

If your too lazy to police your own forums then do the simple thing and close the forum for good... What you are doing now with these plans to expose private information is going to backfire and well I hope you understand your company will become synonymous with  the names on this list. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Category:Defunct_video_game_companies

Comments

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

I wonder if the OP even realizes that people like him are the reason Blizzard is doing this?

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

• UruktosUruktos Member Posts: 153

Originally posted by Serenes

I can careless if someone knows my real name? What does it matter? Just trying to find somthing to bitch about Mr. Troll

Its "couldn't care less". You might, but others won't, that's what all this fuss is about.

• TheShimmersTheShimmers Member Posts: 76

They did this at a perfect time. No matter how many people leave angry at this, by the time Cataclysm comes out a lot of the jaded people will want to come back to the game for the new content. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with what they are doing, but at this point in WoW there is pretty much nothing they could do besides shut down the servers to kill this game.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I wonder how many people that couldn't care less display their name on their cars and trucks while driving down the road.. :) I enjoy my privacy :) as I should and my families

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

What is going to happen if someone knows my RL name?  I'm not quite sure I know what the concern is? If you don't want people to know you real name that bad then don't post. It does not break immersion or RP because your not in the game your on the forums in game your still safe behind your toon.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I can careless if someone knows my real name? What does it matter? Just trying to find somthing to bitch about Mr. Troll

You will care alot when someone hacks your account or worst stills your ID and goes on a spending spree.

Giving real information over the internet has always been the biggest NO NO and now WoW is going to do it for 11 million people.  I know hacker sites are getting ready to take full advanage of these easy targets.

Sooner or Later

• KraossKraoss Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by Rydeson

I wonder how many people that couldn't care less display their name on their cars and trucks while driving down the road.. :) I enjoy my privacy :) as I should and my families

Its called a license plate... LOL

• hobo9766hobo9766 Member UncommonPosts: 457

Originally posted by TheShimmers

They did this at a perfect time. No matter how many people leave angry at this, by the time Cataclysm comes out a lot of the jaded people will want to come back to the game for the new content. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with what they are doing, but at this point in WoW there is pretty much nothing they could do besides shut down the servers to kill this game.

I think it will be quite the opposite. Blizz just alienated enough players to cause a sizable loss on Cataclysm box sales. They showed how far they are willing to go in exposing private personal info to demented psychos. People just won't forget that.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

I think this is a great change.
    Prospective employers are already Googl’in job candidates names prior to interviewing them.
    Imagine what they will find from some of these people after this takes place.
    Be a troll on the forums = be unemployed.

Perfect!

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

My name alone is going to let someone steal my ID?I could be Sammatha Bennet but I'm not and saying I am does not give me her credit cards. You need alot more then someones name too steal that shit Birth Certifcate, SSN, ID, not just a name. I can make up any name and I'm sure someone realy has that name. It sounds totaly retarded for you to say someone can steal my Idenity over just knowing my name, My account? They need Passwords, Emails, Authticator, Secret Question? Is your Secret Question your name? very sneaky ^.~ that was saracasm btw.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Lol I think it's funny that this is even an issue at all. No one is going to care by the time the new expansion comes out. No matter how mad people are they'll still be back. If you don't want your real name shown (which I'm pretty sure someone else out there has the same name as you) then don't post in the forums. Blizzard doesn't care. There are plenty of other WoW forums you can post in. Big deal.

I can't help but laugh at all this whinning. It's pretty funny I must say.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

My name alone is going to let someone steal my ID?I could be Sammatha Bennet but I'm not and saying I am does not give me her credit cards. You need alot more then someones name too steal that shit Birth Certifcate, SSN, ID, not just a name. I can make up any name and I'm sure someone realy has that name. It sounds totaly retarded for you to say someone can steal my Idenity over just knowing my name, My account? They need Passwords, Emails, Authticator, Secret Question? Is your Secret Question your name? very sneaky ^.~ that was saracasm btw.

They will have your full name and your email address.  With that a few simple searchs gets them your address, phone # and with that they are well on their way to taking what they want from you.

What is this going to solve?  Trolling?  Really?  It will not stop trolling.

Trust me, Blizzard will be facing lawsuits by the truck loads once they put this into place. They may have a ton of lawyers at blizzard but they will be busy lawyers soon.

Sooner or Later

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524

Originally posted by TdogSkal

They will have your full name and your email address.  With that a few simple searchs gets them your address, phone # and with that they are well on their way to taking what they want from you.

Trust me, Blizzard will be facing lawsuits by the truck loads once they put this into place. They may have a ton of lawyers at blizzard but they will be busy lawyers soon.

By following what you're saying, wouldn't it just be easier to open up the phonebook and find someone there?

There you have it: Phone number, address and full name. What's the next step?

Eleanor Rigby.

Umm the new system will not display Email, soo fail.

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Just pointing out that if you support this and find it perfectly acceptable then post your info over on Blizz forums and let us know how that works out for you.

Already did, many of us have.

Other then the CM i'm not hearing of massive attacks against everyone who posted their name.

There are way more sheeple, then there are wolves, eventually they will calm down and pick another battle, like Verizon or AT&T blocking 4chan.

• hobo9766hobo9766 Member UncommonPosts: 457

You don't have to look far to find out the consequences of exposed private info and the negative possibilites. Even this site has had them http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/112628/page/2 If you've been around this site long enough you will remember when a game dev went looney toons and hired people to hunt posters here.

Originally posted by Treekodar

Originally posted by TdogSkal

By following what you're saying, wouldn't it just be easier to open up the phonebook and find someone there?

There you have it: Phone number, address and full name. What's the next step?

Profit?

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

The forums are OPTIONAL for crying out loud. If you do not want your real ID out there, do not post in the forums. I do not see how this change affects game play in any way. 

Laughable, Your evidence is not very compelling. I have told countless people in game my name I have never been hunted. Don't tell people where you Live problem solved they will have no roadmap to which Joe Beck you are. You could be Joe beck from New York or New Jersey they don't know.  Lets just be honest a name does nothing for you.

• talindartalindar Member Posts: 3

From what I understand a Blizz employee posted his full name in an attempt to show how harnless it all is. This is what happened on their forum next:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3548/realidforumbanlol.png

Now think of all the nutty guys who will suddenly have this type of info on children 13-17yrs, and women who play the game. It's beyond stealing IDs and accounts. Just think how the Terminator found Sarah Conner - hello Bliznet!

Thats what I thought.

• trikkitrikki Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by natuxatu

Lol I think it's funny that this is even an issue at all. No one is going to care by the time the new expansion comes out. No matter how mad people are they'll still be back. If you don't want your real name shown (which I'm pretty sure someone else out there has the same name as you) then don't post in the forums. Blizzard doesn't care. There are plenty of other WoW forums you can post in. Big deal.

I can't help but laugh at all this whinning. It's pretty funny I must say.

Indeed, played since vanilla and never posted on the forums and never will.Never gonna give the id to rl friends or guildies.

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

Originally posted by Kraoss

Just pointing out that if you support this and find it perfectly acceptable then post your info over on Blizz forums and let us know how that works out for you.

Already did, many of us have.

Other then the CM i'm not hearing of massive attacks against everyone who posted their name.

There are way more sheeple, then there are wolves, eventually they will calm down and pick another battle, like Verizon or AT&T blocking 4chan.

The wolves will still eat.

If I was a wolf I would wait for things to calm down. Watch for vulnerability, hunt and sleep off a full belly.

Originally posted by talindar

From what I understand a Blizz employee posted his full name in an attempt to show how harnless it all is. This is what happened on their forum next:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3548/realidforumbanlol.png

Now think of all the nutty guys who will suddenly have this type of info on children 13-17yrs, and women who play the game. It's beyond stealing IDs and accounts. Just think how the Terminator found Sarah Conner - hello Bliznet!

Someone can just go to Myspace and find young people, lol can even pose as them downloading pictures from other myspaces, becoming a friend and have way more info on a person then there name.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I have and did numerous times...here it is again.   Kristi or Kristina Martin  I generally go just by Kristi Martin  - feel free to look me up.  BTW just so you do not pull up some innocent persons Myspace or Face Book or Twitter account - I belong to none of those.  So do not bother posting a Facebook or such account with the name Kristi or Kristina Martin attached to it...it won't be me.   :)

Now with that being said...I still think there is some serious bad stuff that can happen by Blizzard giving out names of players when they post on the forums.   Teens for one.  I'm still not sure they have a legal leg to stand on even if they person posting to their forum agrees to divulge their first and last name if they happen to be underage - I think there are privacy laws that Blizzard may encounter from such states as California regarding this.